Can't display all text in cell

I'm trying to display text in a cell.  I've got Wrap Text on, and I hav
several paragraphs of text.  All of it appears in the formula bar, bu
not in the cell displayed on the screen.  And yes, I increased the ro
height, but it still doesn't show.

Any ideas?
Thank

I am having the same problem.  Apparantly there is a 1024
character limitation per cel in excel.  The only advice I
have received so far, which does work, is to press
alt+enter to create a line break.  If you find another
work around, I would be interested.
0
mlhnhtown (4)
4/14/2004 10:17:22 PM
Hi
besides Mike's workaround (hitting ALT+ENTEr to insert manual page
breaks) No way around this limitation. You may also take a look at the
Excel help file (look under 'Specification')

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I'm trying to display text in a cell.  I've got Wrap Text on, and I
> have several paragraphs of text.  All of it appears in the formula
> bar, but not in the cell displayed on the screen.  And yes, I
> increased the row height, but it still doesn't show.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
4/14/2004 10:20:57 PM
Yes, I've used the Alt + Enter, but I still hit the limit.

Thanks for the quick responses

In minor testing, I've seen 15k characters--lots of alt-enters.

But I have to adjust the rowheight (and columnwidth) to make it look, er, nice.

How many alt-enters and how many characters in that cell?

=len(a1)

=len(a1)-len(substitute(a1,char(10),""))

May help you determine those numbers.

"Nffitch <" wrote:

> Yes, I've used the Alt + Enter, but I still hit the limit.
>
> Thanks for the quick responses!
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
4/15/2004 1:37:33 AM
Hi
tested this and I'll be able to see much more than 1024 characters
(though this is not that pratical). Try inserting ALT+ENTER every 200
characters and see if this helps

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Yes, I've used the Alt + Enter, but I still hit the limit.
>
> Thanks for the quick responses!
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)

Superscripts in referenced text objects
Dear, Several days ago a question appeared in this NG on the superscripts in referenced text objects. The answers correctly recommended looking for sub-/superscript font sets. What does it mean? Optimally such a font set should contain at least all the 34 alphanumeric characters within the second 128 ANSI locations as both kinds of those scripts. Has anybody ever come across such a product? I succeeded several months ago, after the recommendation of Bernard Liengme, in adopting Chemistry fonts (“Chemistry SansSherif” and “Chemistry Sherif”). They offer unfortunately only numerals in wa...

How do I display a formula calculation in plot area of a chart?
I want to add a text box in the chart that returns the value from a formula that was entered on the data page. The formula value is not related to any series value. WiseGuyOne: You need to build your text expression in a cell, then insert that expression to the chart. First, to build your text expression: 1. Select your cell 2. Enter = first to let Excel =know you are adding a formula 3. You can now enter text within quotes and cell values .. here's an example =" Yesterdays average temperature was " & sheet1!$a$3 Note that the & is used to add ...

What is the cell data reference for 5th row and 7th column called
Can someone help me with this question? I need to get the answer for my homework. Thanks for your help. I'm guessing, but might it be G5? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Shy-di@verizon.net" <Shy-di@verizon.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0979494-228B-435E-98F7-6BD26C900266@microsoft.com... > Can someone help me with this question? I nee...

Report generated from text box fields
hello. i have a 3 column report. The 3 products compared on the report are assigned when the report opens and asks the user for the ID.. is there are way to create 3 unbound text fields and have the report compare the IDs of the products listed in the text box.. i have done something similar that searches based on what was entered in a text box, but wasnt sure how to have the report pick up three different text boxes.... this is an example of what i have in another application that opens up a query Like "*" & [forms]![SEARCHMENU]![text37] & "*" -- Message po...

Cell Contains Data.
How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, whatever) do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function to look for a specific number or text, just data, just something in the cell... =IF(A1<>"","Data","No Data") "GEM" <GEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07916799-F312-4E89-A926-59356B74ED89@microsoft.com... > How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, > whatever) > do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function ...

Active cell highlight
Hi, I would like to know if there was a way to have an active cell always in yellow or any color. Example: If the active cell is moved around, the active cell will be always in yellow. Thank you in advance maybe.... you may want to try Chip Pearson's Rowliner: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm E wrote: > > Hi, > > I would like to know if there was a way to have an active cell always in > yellow or any color. > > Example: If the active cell is moved around, the active cell will be always > in yellow. > > Thank you in advance -- Dave Pet...

Need to separate multiple numbers in one cell
I have multiple number in one cell and i need to somehow put each number into one separate cell for each number: I have : column A row1 2 5 8 10 I want: column B column C column D column E row1 2 5 8 10 How do I do it on Excel 2007? thanks EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Map Stored Procedure Output To Class Properties http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/2853a1aa-5db7-40d0-9cde-46847fa770ef/map-stored-procedure-outp.aspx Hi, Use Data > Text to columns and specify the delimiter as space ...

copy value in cell above to cell below for a whole column
I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report. this report only lists the employee name once. There is a way to copy the value of the cell above to the cell below. I can get as far as highlighting the blank cells with the Go To function, then I can not remember the steps to tell excel to copy the data into the blank cells. Can anyone help? Ctrl+D will copydown the value of the top cell to the highlighted cells below. "tarthur" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report. this report only lists > the employee name once. There is a way to copy th...

How can I remove the previous lock cells and keep the new ones.
Could you please help me?... I locked and protected the cells A1:H20 in the sheet 1 two months ago. However, yesterday I wanted to unlock and unprotect these cells and locked and protected the cells A21:H40 instead. However, for some reason the cells A1:H20 are still lock and protect. How can I remove the previous lock cells (A1:H20) and keep the new cells (A21`:H40) only. Thanks. Maperalia In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions to unlock cells A1 to H20:- 1. Home / Cells group / Format / Unprotect Sheet / enter the password to Unprotect Sheet / OK / highlight cells A1 t...

ComboBox.Text gets reset between event calls
I am trying to make a ComboBox that will AutoResize to the text being displayed. The steps I take are: OnTextChanged(EventArgs e) { base.OnTextChanged(e); ResizeTextBox(); } private void ResizeTextBox() { Graphics CurrentGraphics; int StringWidth; int MinWidth; int MaxWidth; int MyWidth; string thisText; Font thisFont; SizeF thisSizeF; Size thisSize; CurrentGraphics = this.CreateGraphics(); thisText = this.Text; this...

Adding data from multiple cell and linking to a new worksheet
I have data in a sheet with names and amounts due. Like A 500 B 300 A 600 B 300 C 400 C 200 There is a second sheet named summary. I want the totals of each person to appear in the summary sheet. These should be linked cells and any change in data in sheet 1 should be updtaed automatically Create a PivotTable http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Rashmi" <Rashmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56DC0F3A-8D60-4FE2-B778-3A07790EFE8A@microsoft.com... >I have data in a sheet wi...

Move cells down to match cells
A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 000801097-3 1998 11 000801091-7...

using data from another cell
I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different column) if the same name is there, and if it is there get a value of another cell locate in the same row where. Can some one help me? Create your second list and use VLOOKUP as follows: Name is typed in: A1 List of names and values in: C1:D10 =VLOOKUP(A1,$C$1:$D$10,2,FALSE) "leo" <reani1996@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OiO5fCTWDHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different > column) if the same name is there, and if it is t...

convert text to predefined number in single column
Hi all, Greeting to all of you out there! I am a newbie to this forum and now I have a question here. I have a worksheet which contains thousands of records. Within a particular column (column "N") there are single character in the cells throughout the records (eg. "M", "S"). My question is how can I convert from "M" to "1" and "S" to "2" using formula? Kindly advise. Thanks and best regards. Eric --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Use a help column, =LOOKUP(N1,{"M","S"},{1,2}...

How to exclude cells from a datasource?
Hi, I have an XY chart in excel97 that uses a range of cells for the data source. Every now and then I would like to exclude a XYnode from the chart. Without having to reselt the datasource. Is there a value one can enter in the cell that exludes it from the graph (compare: putting text in a cell excludes it from the SUM() function). For example point X Y a 1 1 b 2 2 c 3 3 Gives a graph with two lines connecting the three points While point X Y a 1 1 b ? ? c 3 3 Should give a graph with one line connecting point a and c. Point b is left out. Or is the...

Email display problem
I've lost the "to" and "from" lines from the emails I've received - how do I put them back? thanks! -- Michael Abraham Toronto, Canada Put them back where, exactly? Where are they missing from? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:%23whdIyAmDHA.424@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, Michael Abraham wrote: > I've lost the "to" and "from" lines from the emails I've received - > how do I put...

Concatenated text and Leban's Rich Text Control
Greetings All, I was wondering if anyone has run across the problem I'm having with concatenating rtf control contents and line returns. I am using Steven Leban's rich text tool in Access 2007 (as Microsoft's integrated rich text control is pretty much useless if you need to manipulate its contents) (Steven's tool is excellent). I am trying to insert new text into the middle of a rich text field, after formating it as needed, however, I've noticed that the rich text box inserts a line return at the end of my inserted text. I have searched around and have read that rich t...

What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells?
Hi, What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells? I'm a teacher, and I'm trying to replicate and print, in Excel, an attendance book format, with a series of tiny squares next to each student's name. The printed form of this would allow me to register if a student were present or absent on a particular day. Hubert -- Hubert Earl, vendor of fine Jamaican art, coffee, etc. on eBay: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=12295024&ssPageName=L2?refid=store; Fine Jablum Blue Mountain Coffee sales page: http://stores.ebay.com/Jamaican-Coffee-Art-and-More-Store_Jab...

faded text web address
I'm using Publisher and many reports contain web addresses. Since they are in the body of the text I don't wish for them to be faded. I can't make the font stay black. Any ideas? Yes, you need to go in and remove the hyperlink. Try putting the cursor in the address, right click, Hyperlink. Click on remove hyperlink. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Roberta" <Roberta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76FA25AC-7CF1-4F62-ACD6-C2617F413882@microsoft.com... > I'm using Publisher and many reports contain web addresses. Since t...

Excel Cell Formatting #3
How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? Hi you can't as such objects 'float' above the cells in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tom Coffey" <Tom Coffey@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8E7356E1-4318-42F3-B9C6-3D7EDFBBEEA1@microsoft.com... > How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? ...

Display a long label without wrapping
Silly question, but it's alluding me, I need to display a long field label, but it's wrapping and it looks ridiculous. I tried every combination of section and field layout, but label is always left justified and will wrap. It's a bit field type if that makes a difference, but I don't think so. thanks you could create the bit field, give it a dummy name and uncheck the box to show the name on the form. create a section, put the name you want for the attribute in there and leave the box unchecked for underlining. It worked good for me, i had a series of questions to put...

Cell possibilities?
Hi, I have a spreadsheet which has dates when people have attended a course. The sheet then updates itself through conditional formatting and formulas to let me know when course dates have run out. Is it possible through using either a formula or conditional formatting that after a certain time period e.g. two months after a course date has run out, that the date in the cell is erased? If so how id it done? Thanks in advance. What formulas and conditional formulas are you presently using to determine when course dates expire? And what exactly do you mean by "erased"? Do you me...

Displaying Comments
I have trouble displaying any comments that are entered into either Word or PowerPoint docs by a Windows Office 2003 user. I am running MAC OS 10.3.7 and have tried to fix this in both Office X and the Office 2004 Demo without success. I have "View Comments" checked and if I enter a comment, I can see it. Thank you. Russ ...

Using text to colums, but need to keep decimals
I have a column of prices that I need to split into two columns, but need to keep the decimal and leading zeros if applicable , fo example: 102.46558 99.054 when split needs to be 102 .46558 99 .054 there will only be two or three digits in front of the decimal, bu those ater it will vary. This will save me two days of work if I can get this done -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Mohagany, Assuming your prices are in A1 down, in B1 enter =Trunc(A1) and in C1 enter = A1 - B1 Drag the cells B1 and C1 down as far as you need. --- Regards,...

New Email does not display
When new email arrives you don't know it. You don't know you have new mail until you click on an existing email in your inbox. Any ideas? It's a setting. But... 1. You don't tell us the program you're using. 2. We can't guess if it's Outlook or Outlook Express. 3. This is the Excel newsgroup; you're in the wrong place. :) ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Travis" <Travis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D864BC01-7D98-48DA-A132-614D02E45963@microsoft.com... > When new email arrives you don't know ...