Can I make an xls start up in 2003

ever since I've installed 2007, all my files will start up 2007 when I
double -click them.

Can I set up my machine so that:

   xlsx will open up 2007

and

   xls will open up 2003

Thanks

Michelle

hi
windows considers the last version installed as the default so it's basicly
a windows thing, not necessarily an excel thing.
one possible fix would be to reinstall excel 03 to re-set it as default.
another would be to do a detect and repair in 03 setup. some have reported
success with this.

good luck.
regards
FSt1

"Michelle" wrote:

> ever since I've installed 2007, all my files will start up 2007 when I
> double -click them.
>
> Can I set up my machine so that:
>
>    xlsx will open up 2007
>
> and
>
>    xls will open up 2003
>
> Thanks

Try this: Open any folder in Explorer, go to Tools/ Folder options/ File types. Select
XLS. Then pick Change. The Open With window will open. Pick Browse. Go to /Program
Files/microsoft office/Office 11 and choose Excel. Pick Open. Back on the Open With window
check "always use the selected file to open this kind of file." Hit OK and you are done.
This should work on XP. On Vista or Win 7 there should be a similar routine.

rs

:
: Can I set up my machine so that:
:
:   xlsx will open up 2007
:
: and
:
:   xls will open up 2003
:
: Thanks
:
: M
:

0
tcebob
5/13/2010 9:25:34 PM
On 5/13/2010 1:49 AM, Michelle wrote:
> ever since I've installed 2007, all my files will start up 2007 when I
> double -click them.
>
> Can I set up my machine so that:
>
> xlsx will open up 2007
>
> and
>
> xls will open up 2003
>
> Thanks

I found it was easier to open Excel files from within Excel -- either
version. That's no longer a concern -- I finally dumped Excel 2003,
although I save most of my spreadsheets as .xls.

Bill
0
Billns

Outlook 2003 News

The Excel menu bar (File, Edit, View, etc) Is nowhere and I can't seem to get it back!! HELP!!
Version: 2008 Processor: Intel I was doing an assignment for one of my classes and I managed to somehow delete the excel menu bar (top of screen the one with File, Edit, View, Format, Tools etc) I can't figure out how to get them back. PLEASE HELP ME!! I suck with computers. It would help if you'd describe exactly how you went about doing so... It's virtually impossible to do unless you manually remove each menu item from the Workbook Menu Bar one at a time. Try this; Control/Right-Click the Standard Toolbar & select Customize Menus & Toolbars from the contextua...

Methodology
I'm looking for some tips for how to manage naming conventions within and across Visio files. If you have a subprocess that is used in/called by multiple processes, what would be a good way to name the "start" and "end" shapes? For example, if you were modeling something simple such as "serve breakfast", "serve lunch", and "serve dinner", all three would have a subprocess called "set table". The "set table" process is the same regardless of the main process that calls it. Do you just call them "start&...

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2