calculation of cells

Periodically I open a work book and the calculation option
has been changed to manual and I cannot figure out why. It
seems that it would have to be done by a user and most of
my spreadsheets are only used by me.

Any ideas out there
0
mark80 (1)

Mark,

Calculation, auto or manual, is set by the first workbook that's opened.  It
is that way for any other workbooks opened in that instance of excel.  Look
for a workbook you might have opened first that's been set to Manual and
saved that way.  Go figure.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"mark obershmidt" <mark@northernengineering.com> wrote in message
> Periodically I open a work book and the calculation option
> has been changed to manual and I cannot figure out why. It
> seems that it would have to be done by a user and most of
> my spreadsheets are only used by me.
>
> Any ideas out there

0
nowhere1083 (630)
6/21/2004 10:50:26 PM
Check out this old post.

http://tinyurl.com/2hhcn
--

HTH,

RD

"mark obershmidt" <mark@northernengineering.com> wrote in message
Periodically I open a work book and the calculation option
has been changed to manual and I cannot figure out why. It
seems that it would have to be done by a user and most of
my spreadsheets are only used by me.

Any ideas out there

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Moving rows from one sheet to another based on a particular cell v
Here's what i am trying to do - Create a status report of multiple worksheets. The first sheet will include all items in an "open Status" - Status column. I would like to have seperate reports for deferred, closed and pending. When I change a status on the first sheet to closed. Is it possible to have the entire row moved to the closed report worksheet. I am not great at this so if this is possible - i'll need some step by step help. ...

How to detect a Validation Object in a Cell using VBA?
How can you test a cell in VBA to determine if if contains a Validation Object? How can you delete an existing Validation Object in VBA? Thanks, Keith Saved from a previous post: Depending on what you're doing, it may be easier to just delete it first and add it back the way you want. dim myCell as range set mycell = range("a1") mycell.validation.delete 'add it back here... And another way to test to see if the cell has validation: Option Explicit Function HasValidation(rng As Range) As Boolean Dim myValidationType As Long Set rng = rng(1) my...

Using cell contents in a formula to refer to another file
On Friday, I asked a question and was given INDIRECT and/or INDIRECT.EXT as possible solutions. I finally managed to make INDIRECT work but I cannot make INDIRECT.EXT work. My problem: 120 files with identical architecture - two worksheets each. I would like to build a new file to give me certain data to be found in each of the 120 files. Each file is named after a person. In the new file column A will list each person. I would like to put in column B: =SOMME(INDIRECT("'["&A5&".xls]feuil2'!$g$8:$g$27")) Please note that although I am English, my Ex...

24 Hour Calculations
I was wondering if anyone has a solution for calculating (in 24hr Format): Total Shift Hours per employee when start of shift is: 6/13/05 20:00 ending 6/14/05 04:00. AND Once shift totals are calculated in a column, subtotal both employee weekly hours and company man - hours per shift. If you have entered both the date and time, as you show, in a single cell, then you can simply subtract the two and format as time to get the hours worked. As far as the subtotals are concerned, SUMIF will work for the totals by employee. If the starting times for each shift are identical for all employee...

Extra spacing in cells that are wrapped
In certain cells of my Excel spreadsheet, when I go to Print Preview it appears as if there is a blank line inserted below the text. The formatting on all cells in this column is: wrapped text, general horizontal alignment, top vertical alignment, with text direction set to 'context'. I have tried changing the formatting to various options, as well as placing my cursor at the end of the text in the cell and pressing 'delete' to remove extra spaces. The information looks fine in normal view, however in Print Preview it looks like an extra line is inserted. It does print w...

Where can I get a template that will calculate profloss after buy.
I need a template that will calculate all the possible variables in a share trade. The rate on buying, every day entry (7 days),Profit/loss on holding, prof/loss on sale etc. ...

Open Workbook to Specific Cell
I do not understand why Excel works this way, and would like help please to understand it, and how I can work around it. I am using Excel 2003. I have 2 workbooks. My test workbook (to understand how this is working) has a macro behind a button that calls... Workbooks.Open Filename:="E:\Address and Telephone Book.xls". Now this works fine except that when the "Address and Telephone Book.xls" is opened, the active cell happens to be the last active cell location from the last time the "Address and Telephone Book.xls" was saved. This is very an...

Newbie Cell Reference Question...
Hello, I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm no quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel. I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll tr to explain this as best as possible.... I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains th players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to th row this player is on in the dat...

think cell program
is anyone familiar with a program called think cell? Any thoughts? (powerpoint v 2003). Is this an add-in? thanks Sara It's very good. You can "try for free" from their website: http://www.think-cell.com/ Recent interview with one of the founders on Indezine: http://blog.indezine.com/2009/12/think-cell-conversation-with-markus.html -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/3...

calculating the work week
Is there a way to calculate the workweek in a particular year, given the year, month, day, and the day number in that year such as 115. I thought maybe using strftime would work, but it always returns the current time, date, and workweek. This is what I tried: CString CUtilities::ConvertDaysToWeekOfYear(CString year, CString month, CString day, CString yeardays) { CString tmp; tmp.Format("Days of Year: %s\nMonth: %s\nDay: %s\nYear: %s\n",yeardays,month,day,year); MessageBox(tmp); struct tm *newtime; time_t aclock; CString returnString; int iWorkWeek; time(&aclo...

Cells print so small I cannot read numbers. How do I fix?
I have been working with page break. Now I have the grid on 1 page..but it is far to small to read. now when I try to spread it back to 2 pages, it just takes the same tiny microscopic type and spreads it into 2 pages. I am stuck printing tiny type. How can I get the grid cells back to a size that is readable. It sound like you have selected Fit to 1 page in File > Page setup > Page > Scaling. Either select to fit it to 2 pages or select Adjust to 100% size -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Repl...

Copying excel 97 cells into Publisher 2002 Tables
I have recetly upgraded from Publisher 97 to 2002. Previously I was able to open an excel spreadsheet (excel 97), highlight cells, copy, then paste into an existing table in my Publisher document by positioning my cursor in the first cell of the table and pasting. With Publisher 2002, when I try to do the same thing (still using Excel 97), all the table's text is pasted into the cell where I have positioned the cursor. Any ideas? Cheers After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Robert Radburn <rrradburn@leics.gov.uk>... > With Publisher...

Why "center across selection" rather than "merge" cells? What is.
When is it more appropriate to "center across" selection rather than "merge" cells? What are the advantages/disadvantages to these two types of cell alignment? Thanks very much. Merging cells interferes with selecting a range - to apply formatting, for instance. Simple example: If B3 & C3 are merged and you want to select A1:B4, you end up with A1:C4 I *think* in older versions of Excel it also hindered the column autofit feature activated by double clicking the border between column headers. "Michele" wrote: > When is it more appropriate to &quo...

Modify Excel default cell width for Access export file
I am exporting a file from MS Access to MS Excel, and I would like to modify the default cell width in the Excell file. I tried creating a workbook template with modified cell widths and save it to the XLSTART folder. This works for new workbooks created in Excel, however, for the exported report files via Access, the cell width is not crrying through. Any suggestions? Thanks to all who respond. Gary ...

last 4 wk average using calculated pivotitem
Hi, I am trying to create a pivot table/chart from data that is listed b week. So my table has "week" as the row field and "total X" as th column field. I want the chart to display the total for each week as bar (the easy part) and also to graph the average of the last fou weeks as a line on top of the bar graph. I have tried to figure ou how to add a calculated pivot item but I can't seem to get it to wor right. So for each week there would be a second almost subtotal lik entry that calculates the average for the previous four weeks (if ther aren't four previo...

Process all cells in a (user) selection
I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined selection; Dim aCell As Range For Each aCell In Sheet4.Range("A4:A34") ' Do Stuff Here Next aCell which processes every cell in the A4:A34 Range How do I do the same thing for a selection drawn by the user before pressing my 'Process' button ? Thanks On 05 May 2010 11:10:21 GMT, Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: >I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined >selection; > >Dim aCell As Range >For Each aCell In S...

running some VBA code in response to data entered in a cell
hello again Can anyone tell me if it is possible to trigger some VBA code when a number entered in a particular cell on a worksheet is less than the number in another cell?. I dont know if cells have events linked to them such as mouse down etc Thanks Ian Mantrid You could use the worksheet_change event like so. Checks a value in A1 and if below 10 it colours B1 red Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then If Target.Value < 10 Then Target.Offset(0, 1).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0) ...

some text sometimes to not show up in a cell?
In Excel, what causes portion of texts in a cell not to show up when viewing and texts are cut off short when printed as well? Hi Grace, You can correct it by double clicking on the boundary line between the row numbers. There are several causes. - manually setting the row height Format, row, height or by moving that line between the row numbers to adjust height. - merged cells will affect what was an automatic adjustment. The do the entire worksheet, you select all cells Ctrl+A then or for a selection of rows you can double click or move any of those boundary lines betwee...

How do you password protect a single cell or column of cells
I am trying to password protect a column of single cells but it keeps protecting the whole work sheet can ant one help? Select all the column not to be protected; Use Format | Cells | protection and deselect the Lock box Now Tools | Protect | worksheet Does this give you what you want? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Kinnaird" <Kinnaird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D46DB91-B014-492A-94D8-24D5190CD154@microsoft.com... >I am trying to password protect a column of single cells bu...

Linking a dinamic cell value from one sheet to another
Hi, I am working on a model where I integrate Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Project. There is a constantly changing resource data in Microsoft project. I have written a VBA code in Project to export the required data into an Excel sheet. The exported data does not comprise of a standard column set; in other words, the number of columns varies according to the necessity. There is a cell containing the total value at the bottom of the last column. This cell value should be linked to a cell in another sheet. Since there is inconsistency in the number of imported columns, the location of t...

MERGE CELLS
I have Name, PO Box, street address, city, state, zip across a row in 6 seperate cells/columns. I want to have this format in 1 cell: Name PO Box Street address City, State Zip STEVE wrote: > I have Name, PO Box, street address, city, state, zip across a row in 6 > seperate cells/columns. > > I want to have this format in 1 cell: > > Name > PO Box > Street address > City, State Zip > You do realize that this will screw up your ability to sort the data. A better solution would be to describe what you want to do with the data. You may not need it in the ...

How do I format a cell to auto date
I would like to have a date automatically enter itself each time I open the spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Hi George Use a function like this one for todays date =TODAY() -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EF21130-EBD9-41C2-8CB5-5723BE40CBB1@microsoft.com... >I would like to have a date automatically enter itself each time I open the > spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. > Thanks ...

Peforming a division calculation of a field in a form
I have a form in access2007, that has a check box. If the box is checked I want it to divide whatever is in the field named "current budget total" by 12. But I want the results to into the field called "monthly budget" which is located in a subform. I added the check box and went event builder and put the following syntax in: [PMP_BUDGET_ACCT_DETAIL]![CURRENT_BUDGET_AMT]= [PMP_BUDGET_ACCT]![CURR_BUDGET_TOTAL]/12 because even though it's a form I want it done at the table level, but I did try the form level and got the same message. the object doesn't cont...

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

Get data from multiple cells to another set of cells
I have a table of wind speeds for 322 cities. I have them visually grouped by city with high, average, low This is what my project looks like so far: State City Wind Speed These are drop down boxes. Wind speed is high, average, low I have three cells layed out Hi: Avg: Lo: Depending on the state on city, I need the specific three cells in th table to "copy" to the thre I mention directly above. any Ideas of how I can get excel to "find" the cells I need dependin the city and state, and then use those values in the three (hi,avg,lo cells -- Message posted from http://...