calculating time formula

Hi,

i want to set up a time summation calculation in excel.

for example i put in how many hours i've working on something over a number
of days down one column and a "Total hours and mins worked" cell somewhere
else just adds all my inputs in hour and min format. eg. 03:20  (ie. 3 hours
20 mins)

- thanks for any comments.

0
ad4739 (1)

Hi
just enter your time values in Ex^cel's time format and use a formula
such as
=SUM(A1:A10)

Important: Format your target cell with the custom format [hh]:mm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Nick" <ad@asd.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> i want to set up a time summation calculation in excel.
>
> for example i put in how many hours i've working on something over a
number
> of days down one column and a "Total hours and mins worked" cell
somewhere
> else just adds all my inputs in hour and min format. eg. 03:20  (ie.
3 hours
> 20 mins)
>
> - thanks for any comments.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/22/2004 3:14:48 PM
=SUM(A:A)/24

and format the cell as [h]:mm.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
Jason
10/22/2004 3:15:30 PM
To convert a time, which is fractional days, to hours, I think you should
multiply rather than divide, no?

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:15:30 -0700, "Jason Morin"
<jasonjmorin@_oppositeofocold_mail.com> wrote:

>=SUM(A:A)/24
>
>and format the cell as [h]:mm.
>
>HTH
>Jason
>Atlanta, GA

0
anonymous (74722)

How would I make a timeline but get rid of ALL dates and times?
I need to make something very simple. i want to use the cylindrical timeline and then have lines coming off of hte top as well as the bottom that i can type underneath but i do not want any dates or times There are two ways to do it; 1) is to create a shape the same colour as the background that has a line foromat of none, basically an invisible box, and place it over the dates. 2) Change the text of the shape to be the same colour as the background. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm...

Calculated items/fields in pivot table
Dear all, I am new to excel pivot table and I would like to ask you all a question regarding the calculated items/fields in pivot table. I am making a pivot table whose data source is shown below: Team Salesperson Amount Sold Price each Team Person Amount Sold Price each Paper A 50 35 Paper D 60 25 Pen D 500 4 Desk C 20 400 Desk A 10 700 Pen B 700 3.5 Clip B 500 2.5 Clip C 600 2 Desk B 15 600 I am thinking if it is a way to add a field in the pivot table which can show the total sale of each Team. For e...

Pasting cell values doesn't remove the formula
WindowsXP Excel2003 I select all, copy, go to a new sheet, edit, paste special, values..its pastes different numbers and not the number that I previously had on the sheet. If you select the cell in the original range that looks different after you paste it, what do you see in that cell? What do you see in the formula bar for that cell? Any chance you're copying a range that has hidden rows/columns? Or even pasting to a range that has hidden rows/columns? HT wrote: > > WindowsXP > Excel2003 > > I select all, copy, go to a new sheet, edit, paste special, values..its ...

formula help #44
Good day, I am a lecturer and would like help with the following problem : I have 10 students in a classs and the pass mark is 50% I want to determine the no failed i.e how many students got below 50% Test Marks stud 1 65 stud 2 50 stud 3 23 stud 4 90 stud 5 15 stud 6 88 stud 7 35 stud 8 44 stud 9 39 stud 10 95 no failed 5 how can this be done?Is there a function I can use? Thanking you Cheers =COUNTIF(B:B,"<" & 50) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200787 Unless there i...

I need to use area code to determine time zone
Can't use nested if, too many entries, does anyone have any suggestions? There is a similar request at http://tinyurl.com/77tq7 -- HTH Bob Phillips "Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B320AC6-B209-4997-B5A6-6262E523C01E@microsoft.com... > Can't use nested if, too many entries, does anyone have any suggestions? ...

Formula cell references
When you double click on a formula that references other cells you usually see the referenced cells outlined in a color with reference to that same color in the formula. What is this called and is this something you can turn on and off? Where? Thanks RLK It's called "Edit In Cell". You get exactly the same results when you click in the formula bar. If you turn this off, double clicking in a cell containing a formula will then make the focus move to the cell(s) referenced in the formula. <Tools> <Options> <Edit> tab, Check or uncheck "Edit Directly I...

Time server error
Hi, I get this error when I do dcdiag. Everything else is fine and the server is able to synchronize the time correctly (and the workstations are able to sync with the local pdc server). What could be wrong? Starting test: FsmoCheck Warning: DcGetDcName(TIME_SERVER) call failed, error 1355 A Time Server could not be located. The server holding the PDC role is down. Warning: DcGetDcName(GOOD_TIME_SERVER_PREFERRED) call failed, error 1355 A Good Time Server could not be located. ......................... MyOrganization.lo...

Excel Formula Question
Hi there. I need to figure out how many items in a column fall between a certain range. I have a list of 354 numbers, and I want to find how many cells contain numbers between 1000 and 10000, and return that number to me. I have explored the help and on-line resources, but cannot find an answer to this. Can anyone help? Thanks Steve Page Hi, Assuming that your list is in Column A: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100>1000)*(A1:A100<10000)) Adjust the range according to your data. Hope this helps -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com That works perfectly. Thanks a million. "...

Using previous record to perform calculation
Here's my query: CONum PONum POTotal COTotal RevTotal 1 18 $855 $12,500 -$11,645 2 18 -$11,645 $30,000 -$41,645 and so on... I want to know how I can copy the previous record value of RevTotal to POTotal to subtract COTotal and keep this going. This is really simple but I'm having hell of a time getting this right. Any help would be appreciated. could you generate a report based on this query with a group header for PONum create an unbound field for RevTotal in the ...

Can I print report and then delete at the same time?
I want to print the info from a sub report and have the info deleted at the same time OK. I'll bite on this troll bait ... Why? Rob Norm wrote: > I want to print the info from a sub report and have the info deleted > at the same time Define "deleted"... -- Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offer...

Outlook 2002 times out with Norton AntiSpam
I'm having a problem with Outlook 2002 and Norton AntiSpam. With NA enabled, some of my email will come in okay, then I get the followin error message: "Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receivin (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact you server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)." I've contacted my ISP (Cox Communications) but they weren't able t help. They thought the problem was with my Norton AntiVirus scannin my email. I disabled that, but it...

Formula help #4
Hi all How can I express this as a formula: In J3: If any cell in the range C5:H5 contains "a", then J3 contains "a" Cells C5:H5 contain only "a", or are blank. Many thanks George George, In cell J3: =IF(COUNTIF(C5:H5,"a")>0,"a","") HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message news:%23LTdfbcHFHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi all > > How can I express this as a formula: > > In J3: > > If any cell in the range C5:H5 contains "a", t...

Need help on this formula! #2
thanks for all the replies. It worked thanks again -- olimits ----------------------------------------------------------------------- olimits7's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1587 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27365 ...

MAil delivery to YAHOO takes along time
Hi, I posted a message yesterday about a problem i was facing when users send to Yahoo accounts. This issue has improved slightly but I still have a problem. My probem now, is that mail gets to yahoo, but not until the next day (or so it seems). This ones really buggin me as i other mail gets to its destination instantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks Dave "Dave Crozier" <mdcrozier@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I posted a message yesterday about a problem i was facing when users send to >Yahoo accounts. > >This issue has improve...

Formula For Sorting Part Numbers
I have Excel 2000. Sheet1 of my workbook has: * Part numbers in column D * Primary bin location in column F * Secondary bin location(s), if any, in columns I, J, K, L * Each part number and corresponding bin location(s) are listed on the same row and there are no duplicate part numbers I need help with a formula (to be inserted in Sheet2) that does the following: * List all the part numbers and bin locations (primary + secondary) if there is an "X" in column AB of any part number listed in Sheet1 * All the information for a part number should be on a single row * T...

Trying to calculate third day from today...
I'm trying to come up with a formula to calculate the third day out from today, excluding weekends and holidays. I'm pretty sure I should use the WORKDAY function, however I only know how to use this function when using a specific date to add three to; not when using a rolling date. Can someone help? -- telewats ------------------------------------------------------------------------ telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501177 Hi! You practically already ha...

Challenge with Time Formatting
Hi! Column A displays like this: 11:48:52. Column B displays AM. When I try to get column A to display with am or pm it converts the time to 12:00:00. I am not sure where the data is coming from, but it is being imported with this data as two seperate fields. Any suggestions?? Thanks! Hi normally a format like hh:mm:ss am should work -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Val B. wrote: > Hi! Column A displays like this: 11:48:52. Column B > displays AM. When I try to get column A to display with > am or pm it converts the time to 12:00:00. I am not sure > wher...

Using sheetname variable in a formula #2
Yes that WORKS!! Thank you! One minor glitch however. My *desired* sheet name is *A-325* and the like (A-490, etc) Your code does not work for that name, however if I change it to *A325 it works. Any ideas why this is happening -- mm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1653 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31386 Hi should work. Have you included the apostrophes ' in the formula. Post the exact formula you have used -- Regards Fr...

Run-time Error 7
Hi: Every time that I open Microsoft Excel 2002 (opening a blank spreadsheet), I get a Visual Basic dialog box that says "Run-Time Error 7". It does not seem to be a problem, really. I just press the "End" button in this VBA dialogue box and Excel opens just fine. It's more of a nuisance than a problem. Does anyone know how to get rid of this box so that it doesn't pop-up? Thanks! childofthe1980s Hi There's a poorly written addin residing either in Excel's startup folder (see Tools > Options for location) or installed (See Tools > Addin for...

Formula Question #24
I am working on a excel sheet that was designed by someone else. One formaula currently pulls all hours charged against a department. I would like it to list only hours charged for the current month. The formaula currently looks like this =SUMIF(Register!X:X,"APPROVED",Register!L:L)+SUMIF(Register!X:X,"PENDING",Register!L:L) I type the date into cell U2 (eg 01/09/05). On the Register sheet column W contains the date the document was approved or pending. I want this formula to only pull the hours corresponding to the month I type in on cell U2. Any assistance is ...

DATEDIF calculates a month off
Suppose my start and end dates are in A1 & A2 respectively and I want to count the number of months between them A1: 09/01/04 A2: 01/31/05 =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"M") returns 4, instead of the correct count of 5. What's up with that? Anybody? Thanks. M&M DATEDIF(...,"m") counts only whole months, presuming that days start at midnight. So your span is only 4 months and 30 days long, not 5 months. Of course, the whole concept of months is rather squirrelly. For instance, one month after 1/30/05 - is it 2/28/05 (29 days), 3/1/05 (30 days)?, 3/2/05 (31 days)? ...

Update workbook each time a different worksheet is selected
I need to update a workbook each time the user goes to a new worksheet either by selecting the tab for that worksheet or by hyperlink. How can I to this without using a macro? (using macro is ok if necessary but I am trying to keep things simple) DJ "Update" means what? More details please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:50:02 -0800, DJL <DJL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to update a workbook each time the user goes to a new worksheet either >by selecting the tab for that worksheet or by hyperlink. How can I to this >without us...

Adding next row of formulas
I have Excel 2003 at work and want it to add the next row of formulas when enter is pressed on the last column that contains a formula. Is there an easy way to do this? At present I have a bunch of rows and columns with formulas and no data. I used sumproduct to calculate totals based on criteria and I think I can reduce the calculate time by adding dynamic ranges. This workbook is used by 2 of us and the other person has even less experience than me. Thanks, Lee > when enter is pressed Pick a different hotkey and write a macro to copy the formulas. You could even have the ma...

need help with formula...
Can someone help? This is a fairly simple question but beyond m knowledge I need to write a formula that looks at the total hrs in cell G8. I this total is greater than 5 hrs, the value of cell M is $8.00 Thanks for your help! : -- rvnwd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rvnwdr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2390 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37562 =if(G8>5,8,g8) If you want to see a different value if G8 is less than or equal to 5, just change the second G8 ...

incrementing formula reference by 7
I've tried several different ways to do this with no luck. I have a formula in a cell that refers to a cell on another worksheet in the same book. I need to have each subsequent formula (horizontally) refer to the cell referenced, but offset by 7 rows. Here's the example: Cell A1 formula Cell A2 should refer to Cell A3 should refer to ='Raw Data'!$E1 ='Raw Data'!$E8 ='Raw Data'!$E15 Help please? one way: =INDEX('Raw Data'!$E:$E,(ROW()-1)*7+1) In article <486D107D-430E-4387-A7ED-90E5E...