calculating by color

Is there a way to calculate various total depending on the color of the data entered

scenario:  row of mixed numerical data.  there is no pattern for the data.  at the end of the row there are four cells that need totals to be placed in them from the cells in the row with certain colors.  take for example a time sheet for a job...one color for sick days, another for vacation, holidays, etc...is it possible?
0
anonymous (74722)

Tamesh,

See my reply a couple of days ago at
  http://tinyurl.com/379lx

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Tamesh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to calculate various total depending on the color of the
data entered?

> scenario:  row of mixed numerical data.  there is no pattern for the data.
at the end of the row there are four cells that need totals to be placed in
them from the cells in the row with certain colors.  take for example a time
sheet for a job...one color for sick days, another for vacation, holidays,
etc...is it possible?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/14/2004 5:24:36 PM
Hi Tamesh
Two suggestions :-)
1. Google this newsgroup as this question is asked quite often
2. have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Frank

Tamesh wrote:
> Is there a way to calculate various total depending on the color of
> the data entered?
>
> scenario:  row of mixed numerical data.  there is no pattern for the
> data.  at the end of the row there are four cells that need totals to
> be placed in them from the cells in the row with certain colors.
> take for example a time sheet for a job...one color for sick days,
> another for vacation, holidays, etc...is it possible?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/14/2004 5:26:59 PM
Thanks for the help it works great.  Sorry for the repeat of older thread.  I guess my search criteria wasn't specific enough.
0
anonymous (74722)

Vary Color based on value
Is there a way in a bar chart to have a bar be a specific color if less than, lets say "5" ? Instead of manually changing each bar that is less than a specific number. Hi, Create two additonal columns of formulas, suppose your original data is in B2:B12, then in C2 enter the formula =IF(B2<=5,B2,0) in cell D2 enter the formula =IF(B2>5,B2,0) Copy these formulas down. Plot these ranges instead of your original range. Format one series one color the other another. If this helps, please click the Yes button. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Jennifer" wrote: >...

Ability to create formula to calculate benefit or deduction code
Would like to use a benefit or deduction based on a formula to calculate the amount instead of choosing only a flat amount or % as it is currently set up in GP version 9. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Commun...

Factors governing Inventory Cost Calculation at dealership
Homework? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Shankar Raman" <Shankar Raman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E05B70B8-4AC0-415D-82DE-CDFD450832BF@microsoft.com... > ...

Calculating Percentages #3
I am doing a simple percentage calculation, however the two percentages are not adding up to 100%, is there a reason for this? Thanks for any help with this matter. Could you provide an example? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/200507/1 What are your input values? "tifosi3" wrote: > I am doing a simple percentage calculation, however the two percentages are > not adding up to 100%, is there a reason for this? Thanks for any help with > this matter. > We'd need to have the exact numbers you're worki...

Aggregate calculations on calculated query fields?
I made a query that uses fields from multiple tables to calculate values for daily metrics. I need to present monthly totals of the data as sums and/or means. The tables are linked by the Date (mm/dd/yyyy) field. I enter ‘between 03/01/2010 and 03/31/2010’ in the criteria for the date field. For the totals I enter ‘group by’ for the date and ‘sum’ or ‘avg’ for the calculated fields. When the query is executed I receive an error that I ‘tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression *** as part of an aggregate function. *** is the calculated field in the...

checkbox/calculations
I have a form with a subform. In the subform I have all the past service dates. I have a calculation where I take the most recent service date and multiply by the service interval on the main form to give me the next service date. I would like to add a checkbox in the subform or next to the nextservice date so it can take that date and put it into the servicelog and give me the next date automatically. Is there a way to do this. and if so what is the easiest way to go about it. I basically want it to automatically update without me having to move the date manually from the next service ...

coloring cells
I want to alternate colors between successive rows. One blue one white, the next one blue and the next white and so on to the end of my worksheet. It there a easier way than to hold the control key and click on each row? Question # 2 when I sort will the colors stay with the row or will they move with the sort. Is there a way to get the colors to stay even when I sort? You can use conditional formatting which applies the colour using the Mod() function: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/alternate-row-color.htm After sorting, every second row remains the same colour as before sorting. ...

How to stop calculating CPP when employee turns to 65 years of age
Hi; I am using Canadian Payroll in GP 10, one of my employee who turned to 65 years of old, subject to Canada regulation, he does not need to contribute CPP. How can I configure Canadian Payroll to calculate CPP under this employee, today; I have to remove the calculated amount manuall when I ran pay roll each time. The date of birth of the employee has been entered in system already. -- Kane I assume the Canadian Payroll is similar to that of the US in the sense that you have benefits and deductions. Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is a deduction that is (must be) associated to an empl...

Need help for Outlook 2002 -can not write or print email in color
I am using Word as email editor and lost the ability to see my email and print /send in color need advice color changes do not "stay" ARe you using HTML as the message format? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, elliotsh asked: | I am using Word as email editor | and lost the ability to see my email and print /send in | color | need advice | color changes do not "sta...

Setting text color to black in inactive combo boxes
Hi, I have a dialog with several edits & combo boxes (and labels too). The data is shown for view only and i need it to be shown in black color (text). For the edits i use the read-only property and it's doing the job. With the combo's i have a problem, The text is displayed in gray no matter what... anyone? Thanks. yuval.gatenio@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a dialog with several edits & combo boxes (and labels too). > > The data is shown for view only and i need it to be shown in black > color (text). > > For the edits i use the read-only...

reporting even though a calculation made is dividing by zero
I have a report which initially opens a form to input a start and end date in for the report information. One of the calculated reports items is a % of bad rolls produced. My report opens; I input the dates and it then runs a query based on those dates. It takes the data (put into another form) with fields of "total rolls produced" and "off quality rolls" and divides the "off quality" by the "total" to give a % bad value. The report works great IF the "total rolls produced" is not zero. If we do not produce any rolls that day (due...

background color #3
I know how to enter a picture to use as a background for an Exce spreadsheet that only shows up on the screen and does not print. Ho do you do the same for a solid color? I want to have the entir spreadsheet show up as pale yellow (to remind me to put in yellow pape in my printer) but I do not want the yellow to print -- denha ----------------------------------------------------------------------- denhar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2408 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38309 can't you use Paint (or ...

Calculations, Queries and making it all come together in my table
hello, I am trying to create a very simple database (I'm pretty new to Access). In my main table it have a field call % Safe which is to show the results a calculation. I understand I should create a query. I have two issues - one, the calculation I created doesn't seem to work. I created a simple query based on the fields in my main table, in the query field called % Safe, under Criteria I entered = [# Safe]-[# Unsafe]/[# Safe]. now, I assumed it would look at the data entered in the main table, perform the calculation and BAM present me with answer in this field. ...

XP Theme Colors
As part of an enchanced print preview class, I want to draw the background using colors of the XP theme, if active. I notice in Office 2003, it draws the background using an appropriate color from the XP theme. When themes aren't enabled, it uses the COLOR_APPWORKSPACE system color, which is also what the default MFC print preview mechanism uses. Does anyone know if Office is using their own adjusted colors or are they taking colors directly from the theme? I tried enumerating some colors using the GetThemeSysColor and GetThemeColor functions, but I can't find any color matching th...

Formula to Calculate Dates
I need to enter one date, and have it compute the future date based on the number of years: For Example: - Date Added: June 2007 - Number Of Years: 5 Year - Expiration Date (Need Formula): June 2012 How would I get that result. BTW: Using Excel 2000 =DATE(YEAR(A1)+5,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8504259F-4193-4CE3-9387-EAB68624076E@microsoft.com... |I need to enter one date, and have it compute the future date based on the | number of years: | | For Example: | - Date Added: J...

Can Excel sort rows by color?
I want to sort a spreadsheet by the color of the rows. Here's a website that will help you accomplish this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm tj "Grant" wrote: > I want to sort a spreadsheet by the color of the rows. Grant, have a look here http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

format colors on bar charts by value
I'm working on a Bar chart with 5 bars. What I would like to do is change the color of each bar depending on the number it is graphing. My table is very simple, column A is the data names, column B are the values from 0 to 3. If the value is 1 I would like it to change the color of the bar to red, if it is 2 I'd like it to change to yellow, if it is 3 I'd like it to change to green. Can this be done? Thanks Bill See http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "BillC...

Calculate/Circular Reference Problem
I'm using Excel 97and I have a worksheet with many large matrices and a few user defined functions. When I open the worksheet, I get a circular refence message saying" Excel cannot calculate a formula. The circular reference is in an open workbook, but the refernces that cause it cannot be listed for you..." After looking at all the open worksheets no cell was identified that was causing the problem. So, I then proceed to recalculate the sheet with <crtl><alt><f9>, that seems to solve the problem, because, "circular" dissappeared from the status ba...

change color in many text box
I have a form which takes information from a query. The information is orizontally aranged in the many text boxes . I would like to know how can i change the background color of the text box on the row by just doubleclicking on that particular row. Give me some suggestions please! Thanks Florin The actual command to change the background color is me.fieldname.backcolor = # ' # for the color you want or vbRed or some such to represent the color. HOWEVER 1) it will not work on a datasheet view. 2) There is no event for row doubleclick 3) if you use form doublec...

Tab color
Hello World! I am using Excel 2003. I did change the color of a tab to green. The situation is that I cannot get back the initial color(beige/gray type). Is there a simple way to recuperate without having to create a new sheet and copying everything? ThanK's ahead Rightclick on the tab, choose tab color, then no color???? Bobby wrote: > > Hello World! > I am using Excel 2003. I did change the color of a tab to green. The > situation is that I cannot get back the initial color(beige/gray type). > Is there a simple way to recuperate without having to create a new > ...

why do semi-transparent autoshapes print in full color?
I am creating a sales flyer and like to have soft washes of color behind the products, but when I set the transparency to 70% in an autoshape it still prints at 0%. Any advice? Celeste wrote: > I am creating a sales flyer and like to have soft washes of color behind the > products, but when I set the transparency to 70% in an autoshape it still > prints at 0%. Any advice? If you're using Publisher 2003, export a high-resolution PNG file of each page and print that. If your using 2007 Microsoft Publisher, use the PDF converter add-in to convert to PDF and print that. --...

How can I calculate the area between axis and dataseries xl2002
I'm trying to calculate the area of a graph (data series) between the x-axis and the data-series in excel 2002. I don't know how. Please help! Evert, With your X-values in A1:A11, and your Y values in B1:B11, the formula =SUMPRODUCT((B2:B11+B1:B10)*(A2:A11-A1:A10))/2 with return the trapezoidal approximation of the area under the curve. Obviously, the smaller the interval of your X values, the better the resolution of the approximation. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Evert" <Evert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9C72F5B-AF26-436A-B6A5-B40EE99BBD3...

How do I calculate duty times
How do I calculate duty times and need to separate if any one is late and their overtime Hi, Take a look at C. Pearson web it has the answers you are looking for http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm If this was helpful please say yes, thanks "Sala" wrote: > How do I calculate duty times and need to separate if any one is late and > their overtime ...

Fill Color on master not the same as shape it was created from
Created some simple telephone pad shapes, that look like the letters and numbers on a telephone. But when I drag the shape onto the drawing, the black background color is blue. Changing the fill color works, but shouldn’t the master shape fill color be the same color as the shape when the master is created? You may have a shape that has a Fill style to define the fill color. It is possible that the Fill style in the stencil is different from the Fill style on the drawing page. You can select your shape and go to Format > Style to check this. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - V...

Question 2:Color cell using conditional formatting
Hi, Using conditional formatting to change color of cell if something is entered works! (thanks Anonnymous!) Now, how woudl I go about to change the color to red if data entered starts with a 1, and change to yellow if if it starts with a letter. I have seen that you can add a 2nd condition in conditional formatting, but I cannot find what formula to use. Or should I use cell value is? Thanks again!! For the 1st condition, use: =LEFT(A1)*1=1 For the 2nd: =OR(AND(CODE(LEFT(A1))>=65,CODE(LEFT(A1))<=90),AND(CODE (LEFT(A1))>=97,CODE(LEFT(A1))<=122)) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA ...