BOLDING SUBTOTALS

Is there a way to bold subtotals.  I want everything on the subtotal line to
be bolded, sometimes the report is very big and right now I have to select
each row and bold each row.
0
zachf (5)

How are your Subtotals created?

Data / Subtotals feature  or
Pivot table  or
Manually?

Are all your subtotals preceded by text such as "Subtotal".

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"zach f" <zachf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to bold subtotals.  I want everything on the subtotal line to
> be bolded, sometimes the report is very big and right now I have to select
> each row and bold each row.

---

ken.wright (2489)
11/11/2004 2:53:17 PM
They are created through the Data/Subtotals feature.....

"Ken Wright" wrote:

> How are your Subtotals created?
>
> Data / Subtotals feature  or
> Pivot table  or
> Manually?
>
> Are all your subtotals preceded by text such as "Subtotal".
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>

> "zach f" <zachf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to bold subtotals.  I want everything on the subtotal line to
> > be bolded, sometimes the report is very big and right now I have to select
> > each row and bold each row.
>

> ---

zachf (5)
11/11/2004 3:03:03 PM
Hi
try:
- select A1:B20
- goto format - Conditional format
- enter the following formula
=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("total",$A1))
- select your format

This assumes column A contain a label with the word 'total' in it

"zach f" wrote:

> Is there a way to bold subtotals.  I want everything on the subtotal line to
> be bolded, sometimes the report is very big and right now I have to select
> each row and bold each row.
0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/11/2004 3:08:07 PM
Assuming your data is in A1:Z1000, select that range and do format / Conditional
Formatting, change 'cell value is' to 'formula is' and put in
=RIGHT($A1,5)="Total"

Now hit the format button on that dialog box and choose BOLD from the font tab.

Note that IF your data starts in say Columb B, then the formula must read
=RIGHT($B1,5)="Total"

and if you select any other range that does not start in row 1 then you must
adjust the row too.  The reference that goes in the formula must be the top left
cell in the selected range.

--

> They are created through the Data/Subtotals feature.....
>
> "Ken Wright" wrote:
>
>> How are your Subtotals created?
>>
>> Data / Subtotals feature  or
>> Pivot table  or
>> Manually?
>>
>> Are all your subtotals preceded by text such as "Subtotal".
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

>> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>>

>> "zach f" <zachf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to bold subtotals.  I want everything on the subtotal line
>> > be bolded, sometimes the report is very big and right now I have to select
>> > each row and bold each row.
>>

>> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)
11/11/2004 3:11:28 PM
I do not have the option to choose isnumber(search

I have:
cell vaule is or formula is
between,equal,greater than, etc....
then select my range,
and select another range.

I am on MO 2003?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> try:
> - select A1:B20
> - goto format - Conditional format
> - enter the following formula
> =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("total",$A1))
> - select your format
>
> This assumes column A contain a label with the word 'total' in it
>
> "zach f" wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to bold subtotals.  I want everything on the subtotal line to
> > be bolded, sometimes the report is very big and right now I have to select
> > each row and bold each row.
0
zachf (5)
11/11/2004 3:48:04 PM
Ken going off what you said....my range of cells before they are subtotaled
are A2:A448 through L2:L448.  I subtotal the amounts that I have in columns
F-L by the parent name of our cusotmers.  when I have everything selected I
put in the formula =right($a2,448)="total"

"zach f" wrote:

> I do not have the option to choose isnumber(search
>
> I have:
> cell vaule is or formula is
> between,equal,greater than, etc....
> then select my range,
> and select another range.
>
> I am on MO 2003?
>

> "Frank Kabel" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > try:
> > - select A1:B20
> > - goto format - Conditional format
> > - enter the following formula
> > =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("total",$A1))
> > - select your format
> >
> > This assumes column A contain a label with the word 'total' in it
> >
> > "zach f" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to bold subtotals.  I want everything on the subtotal line to
> > > be bolded, sometimes the report is very big and right now I have to select
> > > each row and bold each row.
0
zachf (5)
11/11/2004 4:03:05 PM
if you used data/subtotal you should be able to collapse to showing only
those rows with the subtotals.  Do Edit/Go To; special; visible cells only
and then Ctrl B - this should work.

"zach f" wrote:

> Ken going off what you said....my range of cells before they are subtotaled
> are A2:A448 through L2:L448.  I subtotal the amounts that I have in columns
> F-L by the parent name of our cusotmers.  when I have everything selected I
> put in the formula =right($a2,448)="total"
>
> "zach f" wrote:
>
> > I do not have the option to choose isnumber(search
> >
> > I have:
> > cell vaule is or formula is
> > between,equal,greater than, etc....
> > then select my range,
> > and select another range.
> >
> > I am on MO 2003?
> >

> > "Frank Kabel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > try:
> > > - select A1:B20
> > > - goto format - Conditional format
> > > - enter the following formula
> > > =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("total",$A1))
> > > - select your format
> > >
> > > This assumes column A contain a label with the word 'total' in it

0
kat (49)
11/11/2004 10:31:02 PM
I'm assuming then that Col A contains the word TOTAL for each of your subtotals.
If so then with A2:L448 selected, do Format / Conditional Formatting, change
'cell value is' in the dropdown to 'formula is' and put in the following formula
in the space that appears

=RIGHT($A2,5)="Total"

Now hit the format button on that dialog box and choose BOLD from the font tab.
Hit OK and OK again and you are done.

This will bold any row from Col A to Col L where Col A contains the word Total,
which is part of what Data / Subtotals puts in there.

--

> Ken going off what you said....my range of cells before they are subtotaled
> are A2:A448 through L2:L448.  I subtotal the amounts that I have in columns
> F-L by the parent name of our cusotmers.  when I have everything selected I
> put in the formula =right($a2,448)="total"
>
> "zach f" wrote:
>
>> I do not have the option to choose isnumber(search
>>
>> I have:
>> cell vaule is or formula is
>> between,equal,greater than, etc....
>> then select my range,
>> and select another range.
>>
>> I am on MO 2003?
>>

>> "Frank Kabel" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> > try:
>> > - select A1:B20
>> > - goto format - Conditional format
>> > - enter the following formula
>> > =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("total",$A1))
>> > - select your format
>> >
>> > This assumes column A contain a label with the word 'total' in it

---

ken.wright (2489)

Using Subtotals
I have a spreadsheet (table) that I plan to use sub-totals. Is it possible to have a calculated column to the right of the table on each subtotal row (e.g. Column B:99 / Column A:99)? What if a data refresh adds a new grouping? Hi, What exactly do you want to calculate in the column to the right? Are you trying to divide the subtotal of column B by subtotal of column A? What version of Excel are you using? When you say table do you mean you have defined the range as a table? -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "JimP" wrote: > ...

help with subtotals
I have a spreadsheet with multiple customers who have multiple invoices. Each invoices has several lines. I'm able to subtotal the invoices. What I would like to do is show only the subtotal line but I would still like to see the customer name. Is there any quick way to get the customer name displayed on the subtotal line? Right now all the subtotal line displays in the invoice number. gls858 Hi Try using a Pivot Table. You can then have a very quick analysis by Cutomer, with totals for each Invoice. For help on setting up and arranging Pivot Tables, take a look at Debra Dalgleish...

Subtotal
I'm using a sheet with filtered results and have used subtotal to ensure that some averages update dynamically based on filtered results. One of the fields requires me to use =sumproduct to calculate the correct numbers for an average. The following formula works without the filters... =SUMPRODUCT(G8:G34*H8:H34)/SUM(G8:G34) I've adjusted it to read =SUMPRODUCT(G8:G34*H8:H34)/SUBTOTAL(9,G8:G34) The issue I'm faced with is getting the ranges (G8:G34 and H8:H34) to change everytime I change the filter. The list of Function Numbers for Subtotal does not include an option for su...

Bold Font vs NOT Bold Font
I have an Access Application that prints labels for medical devices. I am printing the Greek Symbol "Capital O with a Slash" (Ø) using Arial Unicode MS, 14 pt. (Symbol commonly used for diameter.) Not Bold. I have also set the font weight to Very Light or Thin as an experiment. Right next to it (In a different control), is the number 10, Using Arial, 14 pt. Bold. Next to that in a different control also is "mm", using Arial 10 pt. NOT bold. Looks fine in print preview. However, when I print it on any of my 4 printers, the Greek Symbol appea...

Beginner question for months and subtotals
I am new to Excel (have limited exp with Word vba). I would like t enter a list of data where column 1 shows a cost item on the lef followed by the 12 months of the year. Row 1 will be for net, gross tax, date inputs. Every month should have a subtotal. The plan is t make a master sheet which I can use again for the next year. I'm able to do this manually by creating an extra row in th appropriate month and then at the end of the month make my subtotal using the autosum icon, etc. The problem is that I never know how many costs are coming for th month and so for the master sheet I don...

How do I reset inbox view showing bolded unread messages?
In the middle of the day, I found my inbox all jumbled. Resurected the columns but have not gotten back the functionality of new messages appearing in bold type. This is not a problem in other mailbox directories I have setup. Open Outlook with the /cleanviews switch: Start > Run > outlook.exe /cleanviews (note the space between outlook.exe and /cleanviews) Vista or Windows 7 Start > Start Search > outlook.exe /cleanviews (same space) "SteveG" <SteveG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F1B8BEC-744A-4AE7-8F13-1B82016CAF68@mic...

subtotals/totals from SQL statement
Access 03/WinXP I am using a function to generate an SQL statement based on several user-defined filters from a form. This SQL statement is used as the record source in the OnOpen statement of the report property. I have no problems with the SQL statement, filters, etc. - the report displays exactly the records requested. Where I am having an issue in the the report's group subtotals and the report totals; the amounts calculated are the totals for the *entire* underlying table of the initial SQL statement from the function and *not* the filtered set of records. I tried using th...

Bold ID in text box setting
Hello, I am pulling data from a table to create a letter. My problem is I have a text box that is similar to: =(('The XYZ would like to welcome you as a new member. For your reference, your membership identification number is:') & " " & [ID] & ". Please find enclosed your membership certificate.") I want the ID to be in bold text. I have tried conditional formatting and can only get the entire box in bold. Thank you in advance, S Alternatively, take a look at what Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/mixbold-plain.htm -- Doug Steel...

Bold some text within a text box
I have a text box hosting a memo field. I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within the text box. I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to do it? Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control, what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text will automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to consider? -- Len ______________________________________________________ remove nothing for valid email address. It is possible only in Access 2007. In table ...

subtotal does not equal line item totals
I am sending invoices into eConnect via serialization through the eConnect_API assembly in .NET. The process works for one item at a time, but as soon as I try to send an invoice with two items (as in the below XML), eConnect says the subtotal does not equal the line item totals. There are no taxes involved. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Tom <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <eConnect xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <SOPTransac...

Pivot Table and Formatting Subtotals Automatically
Hi, by arranging some data into the pivot table, my boss exactly gets what he wants; the only thing, he asked me to format the subtotals (like putting all in bold or color background of the cells), so 1) I can do it manually but then i have to redo it every time i refresh the table 2) I should be able to do it automatically and so that if I refresh the table, it's not necessary to refresh all the time And I'm looking after a number 2) solution. Thx for any help Dries. .. On the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTable>Table Options. Add a check mark to 'Preserve formatting...

Lists, Excel 2003, automatic subtotals
I have created a List using Excel 2003. I have sorted the list on the selected field. Instructions say to select a cell outside the list and select Data, Subtotal. However, the Subtotal is grayed. Therefore, the Subtotal dialog box is not available. I have done this in the past with Excel 2002; then one had to be in the list for the Subtotal dialog box to be available. However, if I go inside the List, it doesn't work either. Any help would be appreciated. Hi Suomi, > I have created a List using Excel 2003. I have sorted the > list on the selected field. Ins...

account missing from drilldown, but is included in subtotal in FRX
Hi, We added an account to our balance sheet report in FRX, and it shows up in the subtotal of other assets, but when we drill down into the "other assets" category, it does not show up, even though it's being included in the subtotal. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be occuring and how I can resolve it? Thank you! ...

Total and Subtotal not correct in PA Purchase Order Inquiry Zoom
User added a line item to a purchase order and the Subtotal amount does not reflect the added Ext. Cost. This PO has existing Shipment/Invoice payments and the Remaining PO Subtotal amount is also not reflecting the updated line item cost. PO has been saved and PO report will print the correct PO total. Tables PA10600 & PA10601 show all the information correctly including each line item and Ext Cost. Running GP 8.0. How can I correct this to show the correct subtotals? Thanks Print the modified PO to release the new line items and if the problem still exists run the PO reconcile...

Subtotals Problem when Filtering
When I do a subtotal of data, there is the collapsable column to the left, the 1, 2 and 3 that allow me to collapse the data down to just the subtotals lines or the grand total line. However, if Autofilter is turned on and a filter is applied to the data, THEN subtotals is run, there is no 1 2 3 to the left so I cannot collapse the data. Am I doing something wrong or is there something else I need to know about? Do I have to select all the visible cells and copy to another sheet before I can run the subtotals and be able to collapse the data? TIA! AFAIK, That, unfortunately, is the way...

bold words won't print as bold on one page of booklet
I have a 40 page book that I am trying to print. Some of the letters are in bold print. They print in bold where they are bold except on one page they will not print in bold. ...

How do i set one of the static text controls in the dialog to be bold? #2
Hi, I have an MFC dialog that has two static controls on it with text. I need to set one of the strings to be bold, basically have one control with bold text and second one with plain. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance. ...

Outlook emails I send or reveive the text becomes bold
When I send an e-mail or receive an e-mail the text switches to bold? ...

Unread mail in subfolder not marked by top level folder made bold
Moving from Outlook 2000 to 2003, I find that an unread message in a subfolder does not cause the upper level folder to become <b>bold</>. Thus, in order to find new unread messages, I have to keep ALL subfolders open . It is only the bottom level folder, containing the actual unread mail item, that is bold. I do not know if the following is part of the problem, but the menu item TOOLS | SEND/ RECEIVE SETTINGS ! DEFINE SEND/RECEIVE GROUPS is sometimes inaccessible and I need to rename the .srs file to cause Outlook to create a new one thus giving me access to the menu item....

Hours Subtotal Problem
Hi I am getting a wrong result when I sum up all the hours and I get for an example 31:59 (31 hours : 59 minutes) , When I need to get is 32:00 Houes. Is there a problem with the sum function or what? Thanks > Is there a problem with the sum function or what? No, but there likely is a problem with your data, or the data types that you have chosen (ie. floating point errors). Since you have not provided much detail, perhaps these articles will be helpful for you: How to Calculate Daily Hours Based on Clock In/Clock Out Times http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=23795...

Subtotals in Group Footer
I have 2 grouppings: Reason and Reason Category. Each Reason has it's own group of Categories, where I use the following to code to count: =IIf([Dist]=26 Or [Dist]=27 Or [Dist]=40 Or [Dist]=62 Or [Dist]=7 Or [Dist]=8 Or [Dist]=31,Count([Wdrw_Cat]),0) The count comes out ok. However, I'm unable to Total for each Reason group with the same formula. Can anyone help? I question every time I see multiple values in an expression like this. Why these Dist values? Will the collection of numbers ever vary? I would expect this is dynamic and shouldn't be hard-coded like thi...

pivot table subtotals
I'm stuck trying to develop subtotals in a pivot table. I hav successfully placed Sums of the individual elements, but I'd like "Subtotal" line for specific types of elements i.e.: 1/22 1/23 1/24 Group1 Apples Oranges Pears Group1 Sum Group2 Corn Carrots Beans Group2 Sum Grand Total All of thee above rows/lines calculate just fine except the GroupX Su lines? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get subtotals to wor correctly? Do -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Double-click on the field button at the top of the Group column. Un...

Limiting records for subtotal
I am attempting to come up with a report, based on a query, that would limit the records returned to being unique. I only have 4 fields in the query - Primary Key (because this is imported from an oracle database, it is not unique. If there are additional location fields, the key repeats) State - only 8 states in the query Quantity - acres (this again comes from the oracle databse and the number repeats, based on the primary key, when there are location changes). This is the field I want to subtotal by State, only taking into account one quantity per Primary Key. Interest type - I hav...

Newsgroup: Why Sender in Bold font and Subject not ?
Before reading the newsgroup messages. Should be better all in bold but I didnt find any setting for that. larios. That design goof was fixed in the newer beta, which you are welcome to upgrade to: http://www.windowslivepreview.com/essentials/ Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Larios" wrote in message news:i3gn9h$sak$1@news.albasani.net... Before reading the newsgroup messages. Should be better all in bold but I didnt find any setting for that. larios. Sound interesting, but no Italian version yet. Italians are always last :-) If I install a...

Sumif & subtotal
I have the following data in a worksheet Client Currency Amount x € 95,000 x € 80,000 y € 65,000 z $ 70,000 z $ 20,000 az £ 15,000 the issue is if i use filter then the total (sum formula) will not apply on filters it displays the amount of all entries, i can use SUMIF formula but the problem is that there are more than one currency involved (my criteria field), so is there any sort of combination of formula to filter the list and get the desired result. Use Subtotal =S...