Big problem with Excel 97

Excel 97 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6
After I create a new file and save it, it takes a very long
time (about 30 seconds) to close the file.
I am working with lots of Excel files and it's intolerable.

Please help me with this.
Thanks.

Newspaper layout using Excel?
I work in a newspaper advertising department and use Excel to keep a list of ads that will appear in our newspaper. It contains the advertiser's name, column width and length of the ads. We currently use the Excel list as a reference to create the page layout by hand - Yes, old-fashioned pencil and paper! I'd like be able to use the Excel program itself to create the layout or import the Excel data into a compatible program to create the "map" of the ads and show where we want them to appear. They only need to appear as blank boxes in the appropriate sizes (with the advertis...

Problem with view worksheets and the lines overwriting each other
When I go into the worksheets like the Schedule C Tax worksheet the lines overwrite themself. For example The main heading and the description overwrite each other and therefore I canot click on the main heading. This had happened to me in 2003, 2004 and 2005. Is there a setting that I have to have set-up in Windows? Gee, I didn't see this on M05. Read http://umpmfaq.info.faqdb.php?q=117. "Milt" <milton_burdsall@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:396401c4af01$69d150d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When I go into the worksheets like the Schedule C Tax > worksheet t...

Outlook 97 problems with XP
A short while after I have started Outlook 97 a "Microsoft Windows Messaging Subsystem" message appears, aying "MAPI Spooler has shut down unexpectedly. Close all mail-enabled applications before attempting to log on again". This happens even if no other applications are running. There is a Microsoft note about this problem with ID 162223, dated November 25, 2002. Of the five possible causes mentioned, only the one about "a damaged .pst file" is relevant in my case. Even if I follow the instructions and create a new profile, the problem remains. What bo...

Excel Shift Roster
Has anyone any idea where I can find a spreadsheet template for setting up a shift roster? Thanks - Dave Excel is not a particularly good tool for this unless you can get someone else to do the hard work. I might have a file with a programming solution at home, I will post back tonight if I still have it -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Dasco" <Cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message news:5oeqd7Fmh0o3U1@mid.individual.net... > Has anyone any idea where I can find a spreadsheet template for setting up > a shift roster? > > Thanks - Dave > "...

Excel date field link to Word
I have an excel spreadsheet linked to a word document. The word document justs posts numbers if I use a date format in excel. If I format excel as text it displays the date as entered MM/DD/YY. Is there a way to keep my excel date format and have word display date in text and numbers, like"July 13,2005" See "Date-Time Picture (\@) field switch" in Word Help). In article <841B0C47-552D-447C-B1E8-BDB7B646859D@microsoft.com>, "Earl" <Earl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an excel spreadsheet linked to a word document. The word do...

Problem with font
Everytime I create a new email and start typing a message for some reason the font has set its self to white and you can't see what u are typing, you can manually change the font back to black but when you create a new email again for some reason it has changed back to the white font, how do you fix this so once again I will automatically have black text when starting a new email, I am using outlook 2003. Are you using Word as the mail editor? Did you set a theme in Word for new items? Did you change your Windows fonts? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the grou...

Ice melt model in Excel
Hi For a project I am doing university I need to produce a basic ice melt model. I have got hourly temperature data for a whole year from a certain location and area data from a glacier I am looking at, which has been broken down to several elevation bands each containing the area of ice present in that band. Basically I need the model first to calculate the sum of postive degrees for each day of the year (so this would add together all the temperature data above 0 for each day). This would leave me with 365 postive degree day factors (DDF). Each of these DDF's then need to be multiplied...

Need help to set-up a formula on Excel work sheet?
I need help on seting-up a formula on "Excel Work Sheet." Example: I need to subtract Cell A14 from Cell A13 and Mutiply the answer by "24" on Cell B14. Try this: =(A13-A14)*24 -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "wiskeyjoexxx" <wiskeyjoexxx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DB42179-1185-4D3B-BA6F-707D5D34F6BC@microsoft.com... I need help on seting-up a formula on "Excel Work Sheet." Examp...

Need help writing basic macros in EXCEL..
I am having problems writing macros in EXCEL. I guess I need some specific examples. For instance, in A1, I want to put in the date, in B1 I want to put in the day of the week, in C1 I want to put in the gallons of gasoline I buy, in D1 I want to put in the cost per gallon, in E1 I want to put in the total. Then I wan to be able to go to make another entry, and have the macro drop down to the row below A1. I am having problems, very bad problems. Maybe because I am too old [75] and cannot understand the complicated directions. Bob Gilmore rgil@earthcafe.com Write the item names ...

Problem with columns and imap
I'm having problems with the with windows live mail and the columns on my imap email account. If I change columns in the inbox the columns in the sent mail box changes to the also. How can I set the columns in each folder independently? I have no problems doing with with my pop account. Thanks in advance for any help. ...

NVIDIA Video card problems in Windows 7
I am experiencing NVIDIA video card (driver) problems with Windows 7 (32bit-version). In one system I had to revert to a 2008 Vista-driver to get the system running properly. I have now been confronted with a system that hangs regularly. However, the same system has no problems whatsoever under XP (it is a dual-boot system). Also when the videocard is removed (working on the on-board video chip) no hangs or other problems occur. We have been trying various NVIDIA cards and they all give the same problem. The current card is a Geforce 2GT220. Any suggestions? -- Rob W...

Excel Files Gone
Hi All, I am having a very strange problem with Excel. I have a bunch of files stored on a floppy disk that are titled by date. I opened up the A: menu yesterday and all files dated 2004 (from January to now) have vanished. Is anyone else having the same problem? I did not erase any files; the disk (or program) just erased itself. Seems like the program (Excel) itself is a virus. Is there a way to retrieve the files? C.W. if the files are gone, you may have a corrupt boot sector or folder, try scandisk first to see what is up, you could also have a boot sector virus= (nyb, etc). If t...

how do i work across workbooks in excel 2002?
I am trying to develop an application that requires me to sum values across workbooks. Is this possible to do in Excel 2002 and how is it performed? Open up the workbooks in question, type =SUM( click window in the menu and select the first workbook and the cell(s), type in a comma and repeat and select the next workbook Regards, Peo Sjoblom "lesgold80" wrote: > I am trying to develop an application that requires me to sum values across > workbooks. Is this possible to do in Excel 2002 and how is it performed? ...

Microsoft Excel Viewer 2003 won't open Microsoft Excel Worksheet
Today a company e-mailed me a quotation with the extension: xls I don't have Excel and eventually found Excel Viewer 2003. This took 45 mins to download, and then didn't work. The Excel File Graphic had appeared atop the quotation file - but when clicked on Excel Viewer 2003 opened and just said: cannot open this file type. Any ideas? Would appreciate solution. Running XP SP2 on a Dimension 8250.. Thanks Maybe the sender could forward you a .pdf version of the file. Or you could specify the type of file you can read (MSWord (.doc), .txt). Then the sender could convert the fi...

How do I insert a file into Excel 2007 spreadsheet ?
The old Excel command Insert-Object does not exist anymore, instead only these Insert {Tables | Illustrations | Charts | Links | Text } I want to insert a general application file, I pretended it is a .Jpg file by renaming it and attempting Insert - Illustration -From File, but of course this was rejected. I also tried using a macro, the essence of which was Set myPict = .Parent.Pictures.Insert("C:\MyFile.Dat.Jpg") but this had the same effect. I finally tried good old drag-and-drop into a cell, but this simply opened up the binary in a separate Excel window...

Excel 2003
Dear Newsgroup, please note that I am a non-native speaker, and though I consider myself reasonably fluent in English, I feel a bit at a loss when it comes to technical terms and I pre-emptively apologize for any mistranslations or awkward descriptions. I am currently working with a rather large spreadsheet which is organized by a complex layer structure to show different standard reports on each layer. Until recently, the sheet has worked flawlessly, but since our office has been upgraded to Excel 2003, hiding any layer suddenly takes several hours (!) at full processor capacity. Showin...

When I open excel document it always ask if I want to open it in .
Everytime I open an excel document it states that the document should be opened as read only unless you need to save changes to it. Then it ask if I want to open as read only. I never want to open as read only. How can I get the document to just open. I have goon to properties and the read only box is not checked. I am using office 2003. Thank you. Open it (not as readonly). File|SaveAs (use the same name to overwrite the file) In xl2002, there's a Tools option on this File|SaveAs dialog Then General Options Uncheck "read only recommended" And continue with the save. (The...

scroll control of an Excel spreadsheet
how do i reset the scroll length to match the actual size of an Excel spreadsheet? Hi Hephets, See Debra Dalgleish's notes on resetting the used range at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused --- Regards, Norman "Nephets" <Nephets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE081BF2-AF1A-4E6D-B9CF-2DBBDD4967E7@microsoft.com... > how do i reset the scroll length to match the actual size of an Excel > spreadsheet? Nephets First hit CTRL + End to see where Excel thinks is the end of used range. If far below and right of what you know...

rounding to the nearsest 500 in excel
I am working with numbers in the 10,000's. Is there any way to get excel to round to the nearest 500? ...

sorting network problems
I have a five desktop wired network that works well but two days today it just not working. some of the pcs are able to get connections but others dont, sometimes when i move the cable to a different location then it connects and open ggoogle searches but any other page will not be opend i want to change the hub and all the cat5 cables and use cat6 is it something that can solve my proble please advice me thanks On Feb 24, 6:53=A0pm, Amin <A...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a five desktop wired network that works well but two days today it > just not wor...

problem with business portal
I just installed business portal. When I type http://sqlgiant01/sites/businessportal I get page can not be found . Any suggestions on why this is happening. Few things: Stop and start the IIS server. Are you trying to connect using the same user name and password you installed BP with? -- www.fmtconsultants.com "sajlnp" wrote: > I just installed business portal. When I type > http://sqlgiant01/sites/businessportal I get page can not be found . > > Any suggestions on why this is happening. I have restarted the IIS server, and restarted the entire computer. I...

Problem.... Nested countifs?
I want to be able to count the number of clients who are marked as "X" in column Q .... and who are marked as "Low" in column M. I tried countif... but it counted the number of clients marked Low and added it to the number of X's. tia Nick. try =sumproduct((q2:q200="X")*(m2:m200="Low")) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Nick" <morpheseus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BbB3e.878545$Xk.1243@pd7tw3no... > I want to be able to count the number of clients who are marked as "X" in > column Q .....

Default Row Height in Excel 2003
This may have been covered before - and apologies if so - but I can't change the default row height from 12.75 to 15.00 each time I open excel 2003. I have tried saving as book1.xlt , book.xlt and even renaming the original book1.xlt to bookold.xlt but still when I open up excel the default row height remains 12.75 Would really appreciate if someone could either let me know how to do this or if version 2003 won't let you! I know I did it in version 97 derek Where are you saving BOOK.XLT? It must be saved into your XLSTART folder, usually at C:\Documents and Settings\username...

Access 97
I've been using Access 97 for database management in a medical office for several years now and the company that supports the database has not been able to correct errors that occur during a conversion to updated Access versions. They work solely in Access 97 and I therefore must keep this version. So, I use a split on the cpu... running Access 97 and xp... it's been working fine. However, just recently, every time I open Access 97, I get an 'out of memory' error. There os definately a lot of memory and I've shut down almost everything and then tried opening i...

excel formula 04-05-10
I need to know how to put in a formula that will let me calculate something like this. 0 to 5 miles $0 next 25 miles is $2.15 each next 30 miles is 2.25 each next 40 miles is 2.10 each for a total of 100 miles so if i entered 100 miles it would calculate the first 5 at 0$ then the next 25 at $2.15 then the next 30 at $2.25 then the next 40 at $2.10. for a total of 100 miles and display the correct dollar amount. but if i entered 65 miles it would calculate the first 5 at 0$ then the next 25 at 2.15 then the next 30 at 2.25 then the next 5 at 2.10 for a total of 65 miles and g...