bad links

I did some formulas with figuers from other files. the problem is that when i
open the sheet the links to the other documents don't work anymore. i have to
open the source sheets so that the figuers appear. how can i make the links
work even if the source sheets are not opend??? Thx, Ovidiu

0
ovidiu (4)

In the file that contains the Links, go to Edit>Links & you should find what
you need.

HTH |:>)

"ovidiu" wrote:

> I did some formulas with figuers from other files. the problem is that when i
> open the sheet the links to the other documents don't work anymore. i have to
> open the source sheets so that the figuers appear. how can i make the links
> work even if the source sheets are not opend??? Thx, Ovidiu

0
CyberTaz (411)
9/16/2005 3:47:11 PM
it still doesn't work, even if i click to update the values. the values
appear only when i open the source document

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> In the file that contains the Links, go to Edit>Links & you should find what
> you need.
>
> HTH |:>)
>
> "ovidiu" wrote:
>
> > I did some formulas with figuers from other files. the problem is that when i
> > open the sheet the links to the other documents don't work anymore. i have to
> > open the source sheets so that the figuers appear. how can i make the links
> > work even if the source sheets are not opend??? Thx, Ovidiu

0
ovidiu (4)
9/19/2005 8:23:03 AM
Some formulas don't work with closed workbooks (=indirect(), =countif(),
=sumif() are a few).

What do your formulas look like when both workbooks are open?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Regards |:>)

"ovidiu" wrote:

> it still doesn't work, even if i click to update the values. the values
> appear only when i open the source document
>
> "CyberTaz" wrote:
>
> > In the file that contains the Links, go to Edit>Links & you should find what
> > you need.
> >
> > HTH |:>)
> >
> > "ovidiu" wrote:
> >
> > > I did some formulas with figuers from other files. the problem is that when i
> > > open the sheet the links to the other documents don't work anymore. i have to
> > > open the source sheets so that the figuers appear. how can i make the links
> > > work even if the source sheets are not opend??? Thx, Ovidiu

0
CyberTaz (411)
9/19/2005 12:31:02 PM
the files are in the same locations. it happends even if i close and then
immediatelly open the file again.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Another point may be whether all files are in the same locations as when the
> links were created. Do you get any kind of error message when you try to
> update the links if the sources are not open?
>
> Regards |:>)
>
> "ovidiu" wrote:
>
> > it still doesn't work, even if i click to update the values. the values
> > appear only when i open the source document
> >
> > "CyberTaz" wrote:
> >
> > > In the file that contains the Links, go to Edit>Links & you should find what
> > > you need.
> > >
> > > HTH |:>)

0
ovidiu (4)
9/19/2005 12:43:26 PM
how about sum? how do i know which ones work and which ones don't???

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Some formulas don't work with closed workbooks (=indirect(), =countif(),
> =sumif() are a few).
>
> What do your formulas look like when both workbooks are open?
>
> ovidiu wrote:
> >
> > it still doesn't work, even if i click to update the values. the values
> > appear only when i open the source document
> >
> > "CyberTaz" wrote:
> >
> > > In the file that contains the Links, go to Edit>Links & you should find what
> > > you need.
> > >
> > > HTH |:>)

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ovidiu (4)
9/19/2005 12:45:02 PM
=sum() should work.

There might be documentation somewhere, but if you close both files and reopen
the one with the formulas and they don't work, then it's a very big clue.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Where is the HELP link for Word 2007
On Word 2003 there always was a HELP link in the upper right hand corner to get me to a huge resource where I could get answers to my questions. Is that same resource available on Word 2007? Never used Word 3 but there is a ? mark in the upper right corner you can hit on for help. "Mort" wrote: > On Word 2003 there always was a HELP link in the upper right hand corner to > get me to a huge resource where I could get answers to my questions. Is that > same resource available on Word 2007? F1 will open Help in any Windows application. In Word 2007, there ...

Creating a link between cells in two different spreadsheets
Can it be done?! I have a master spreadsheet which has a column called 'Corp Risk ID' which consists of numbers 1,2,3 etc - I then have a dependant spreadsheet which has a corresponding column called 'Corp Risk ID' so that I can compare how that 'Corp Risk ID' is used in both spreadsheets (run reports, see patterns of themes etc). For ease when I'm presenting this dependent spreadsheet, I would love to be able to click on a cell in the 'Corp Risk ID' column of the dependent spreadsheet and for it to take me to its corresponding cell in the 'Corp Ri...

Links not connecting
When I click on a link in outlook instead of getting its destination URL, I simply get my documents folder, What have I done? or better still how do I fix it ?/ Dave Two most prevalent reasons for problem - 1. Link not sent as a hyperlink (HTML) and 2, Loss of file association. Do following: Windows explorer>Tools>Folder options>File types>Scroll and select "HTML" extension. In box titled "Details for HTML extension " should state that opens with IE. If does so then click on "Advanced" and verify that default action is open" (will be bold t...

Changing URL in link
I have been given an URL so that I can provide a link from my site (designed with Publisher 97). Up to now, I have never had a problem with a link, but for some reason or other, when I paste this link, the ending of which is tformdisplay?xr4=&formts=2006-04-18%2019 and then preview my site, the link displays instead as tformdisplay?xr4=&formts=2006-04-18%252019 I go back to the hyperlink combo box, and the link is pasted correctly, but when I preview it, it again reads incorrectly - inserting the extra "52" into the string. Any ideas would be appreciated. Jim Lidda...

Attempting to link cells failing.
This will be an easy one for you experts. A sheet is called "WK1 1-4apr". At the bottom it has some countif formulas. N404 is one of these. Naturally, the only thing visible in the cell is the correctly functioning result. In another sheet, "sheet1", I want to gather up the results from the countifs in various sheets. Therefore I use the link option. Or rather, I try to. I click on WK1 1-4apr cell N404. Click the copy button, the maquis appears. (Spelling?!:) Go to sheet 1. Click on the cell I want to display the result in N404. Click on the paste button. Now, I SHOULD ...

Access Web from e-mail link
After years of successfully being able to automatically connect to the internet from a link in an e-mail by clicking on the link, I suddenly cannot do so. I have not changed anything on purpose. ...

csv linked file doesn't add to the same numbers?????
Hi, I have a linked cvs file that when I do a sum in access I get a different answer than when I open the csv file and so a sum on the column. Can anyone explain why this is happening. Please show us the SQL statement that you are using to get the sum. Open the query in design view. Next go to View, SQL View and copy and past it here. If you are doing something else to get the sum, please tell us. Are you opening the csv file with Excle or some other method? -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. &q...

Format of linked graphics file
I have designed a report to link to graphics files. Somewhere along the line I read that .wmf or .emf files are best suited to the purpose. I think that was in Access Help, but I can't find it now. Anyhow, is there a reason for choosing one graphics file format over another for this purpose? The files are images of handwritten signatures, which means the resolution requirements are not as high as they would be for something like photos, in case that matters in selecting the format. ...

Cannot copy/paste links from one page to another !
Ok , Let's say I start a new project. I create the way I want the page to look like, then duplicate the number of copies (pages) I need for that project. So let's say 5 pages. Now on my first (original) page, I create a text box and write the following (example) >> Home >> Page 2 >> Page 3 >> Page 4 >> Page 5 Now before the only thing I had to do is set the appropriate hyperlinks for Home, Page 2 etc etc etc and then copy paste the entire text and copy it on Page 2. The links would be intact and I would do the same for Page 3 etc etc. However now, ...

Web Link in e-mail
I have a user who gets a e-mail with a web link in it and trys to go to the link. They get the following error. This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. Hi Jim, IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in th...

hyper links in emails
I can't get a hyper link to open when part of an email, must paste to browser. is there a fix for this? What happens when you try? Do you get an error message? Resetting your browser back to default might already solve it for you. For further details and other ways to fix this see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/242 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Boerne Bob&...

IE8 creates empty (0kb) links?!
Hi all, I use IE8 and am able to add to my list of favorites. However, after clicking the created favorite links afterwards, nothing happens. If I check my favorites in my network profile folder they have been created empty? They all indicate a size of 0kb. How can I fix this? Much obliged, Vladja_ I am having the same issue, along with serveral other co-workers. I confirmed and verified that our Admin is not using any group policies. This is the procedure: From IE 7 or 8, I visit a website, click on FAVORITES, then I click on ADD to Favorites, after a second o...

How to link Exchange server 2000 with Internet
Thank you very much for your reply. You are really Master. This is for Exchange server 2003. Can you also provide me link or steps to link Exchange server 2000 (5.5) with Internet? I hope you would reply as soon as possible. Thanks again, Chandan Kumar. Who is master? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Chandan" <pro_chandan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ut%239ngqtFHA.2328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Thank you very much for your reply. You are really Master. > > This is for Exchange server 2003. Can y...

Macro to Update links
Hi I have a link which i have to update the weeknumber (wk01,02etc) of on a weekly basis i.e. s:\sitelabour\reports2008\variances\wk01... I want to make this as foolproof as possiuble for people to do. Is there a macro button that will do this by asking people to put in the week number i.e 01 which will then update links. Is there also anyway of displaying on a sheet the current link so people can see what week number they are using? Much Appreciated Brian For the macro part, try using the Macro Recorder to produce a base macro of what it is you are trying to do, then post it and reques...

XP linking to external cells bug?
to link to cells across sheets or books you can simply: type '=' in the local book navigate to the cell(s) on the external book it's a documented technique and works perfectly with previous versions of XL - Excel XP seems to be unreliable at this - sometimes it doesn't seem to create the link? I've put this down to the fact that XP runs multiple XL books as independant applications, and possibly dependant on how you open each book - but i don't know for sure and i need this to work reliably Anyone noticed this bug? if so, anyone know how to make it work reliably ...

Link information in one table to another table
I have a Patient form / table for basic information. Name, Birthdate ect. I also have another table I call Health Records. This table is for the specifics of a Doctor visit for all patients. I want to be able to click on a record date on the Patient form and open another form to see or add the specifics of a particular Doctor Visit for that patient. What is the best way to go about this? I have tried to put a subform on the original Patient form displaying all the visits for that patient. I end up seeing all the visits for all the patients. Or I get the Parameter ...

Linking to old DLL with CStrings
I am writing in MFC 7 and wish to link to a DLL that was obviously compiled under an earlier version of MFC (i.e. a non-template-based version of CString). The new MFC generates a different signature than the old, so the linker has trouble reconciling the two. I read article 309801 and inserted my template definitions into the stdafx.h file, but that didn't help. I still get many errors like the following: ftLocator error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class ATL::CStringT<unsigned short,class StrTraitMFC<unsigned short,class ATL::ChTra...

Links in formulas change when another user runs a workbook
Hello -- When another user runs a set of workbooks I built for him, links in formulas include the name of the folder in which he stored the set of xls files. In my original files, links simply look like workbook.xls!range_name His workbooks don't work. and, when he sends them to us to fix, the links have to be changed. MS article PSS ID Number: 327006 seems to be relevant to this problem. If I understand the article, it suggests: "To temporarily prevent the recalculation of external links, set the calculation environment to Manual... " I can see how to do that in code place...

font sometimes changes appearance in a linked excel file in word
Why does the font (ariel 11 in both) look difference some of the time when I copy, paste special and link a part of an excel 2007 worksheet into a word 2007 file. it says the font is the same but in the excel part is appears on the screen and prints like it stretched out or squshed down. Did you change the size of your Excel file by dragging a handle in the middle of a side? Only change the size by dragging on a corner -- that changes the height and width simultaneously. On Feb 6, 11:42=A0pm, jnine <jn...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Why does the font (ariel...

Linked files XP vs. Win98
We're running Excel 2000 across a Novell network and are seeing some strange behavior occuring with linked files. We can open a linked file held on the network in Win98 and the links (to another file on the network) update in <1 sec. But, if we open the exact same file in XP, it will take almost a full minute to update. With some of our files that have much more extensive links the difference just gets worse. If both the source file and the linked file are loaded locally the update times are very comparable (<1 sec.). Does anyone have an idea why this would be happening? Our s...

Link Template or Master Page
I have about 70 different brochures to create from a tri-folded, letter sized, duplex printed sheet of paper. Many of the elements are identical. This seemed to be the perfect place for a template, which I then created. About twenty brochures into the project, we decided that some of the wording in a text box listing services offered which is in the template should be changed. Unfortunately, this requires that these changes be made to each of the 20+ brochures that have been created. This was not my intent. What I wished to create is a common template (or a Master Page) which coul...

Finding the cell that is linked to a file
Quick question here. I have a file which is linked to other files. One file isn't one I own and I would rather not link to it, but I can't determine which cell is pulling data from that file. Any idea how I find that cell? I know I could use CTRL + � but that means I have to go through every cell including ones in hidden columns - is there an easier way? Thanks Simon -- kosciosco ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kosciosco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7068 View this thread: http://www.excel...

Link an addin macro to a custom button
Hi All, I created an addin. Now I created a custom button and want to link a marco from the addin to it. I cannot figure out the proper syntax can someone help? Thanks Chad Addin is: MyAddin.xla Module is: Monitoring Sub is: UpdateRelMovGraph If this is a button on a toolbar... Saved from a previous post: Your life will become much simpler if you include code to create the toolbar when the workbook is opened and include code to destroy the toolbar when the workbook is closed. For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach does it in his menumaker...

Lookup long list of values within a query of two linked tables
Excuse my non-expertise of Access, but I am trying to load a long list (30,000 "values") to see if any of these match up with those within a table (table A we'll call it). Table A is linked to TAble B to look at a field within that table. The common field linked to these tables is the "values." How can I load all these values, without having to go into criteria (which only allows up to 1,024 characters, or in my case, about 60 "values" at a time)? Is there a command to look at all the values (I have these listed in a column - 1 value per row). If I...

How to hide Group management links in the Navigation pane of Calen
Hi, I am trying to maximise the number of month calendars, that can be displayed in the top part of the Navigation pane. To free up the space, the links in the lower part ("How to Share Calendars", "Open a Shared Calendar...", "Search Calendars Online", ...) seem like prime candidates for removal. How do I hide those? Thanks in advance You can't. FWIW; they are removed in Outlook 2010. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and...