AutoSave without editing, or calculating cells without change

I am pulling data from another place which gets updated on save, however not
just save, something on the sheet appears to need to be updated.  I have
written a Module which saves the sheet on a pre defined timed interval.  The
procedure is working (without editing the sheet).  But my data will not
update unless I manually change a cell anywhere on the sheet, then at the
next timed interval of Save, all my tags are updated.  How do I Change a cell
(from within my code) each pass through the timer.  I beleive if the cell
automatically updated right before the save command, then my data hopefully
will update also, as if I had manually changed the cell (I hope anyways).
The workbook is saving (with my procedure), yet it is not calculating the
cells upon save.  PS - Thanks for auto timer (OnTime) to cpearson.

Hi Liz,

Look at the Calculate method in VBA help,

You can optionally, calculate a specific range, a specific worksheet or all
open workbooks.

---
Regards,
Norman

<Liz L :> wrote in message
>I am pulling data from another place which gets updated on save, however
>not
> just save, something on the sheet appears to need to be updated.  I have
> written a Module which saves the sheet on a pre defined timed interval.
> The
> procedure is working (without editing the sheet).  But my data will not
> update unless I manually change a cell anywhere on the sheet, then at the
> next timed interval of Save, all my tags are updated.  How do I Change a
> cell
> (from within my code) each pass through the timer.  I beleive if the cell
> automatically updated right before the save command, then my data
> hopefully
> will update also, as if I had manually changed the cell (I hope anyways).
> The workbook is saving (with my procedure), yet it is not calculating the
> cells upon save.  PS - Thanks for auto timer (OnTime) to cpearson.

0
normanjones (1047)
10/28/2005 1:53:51 AM
I can't get a hit on Calculate Method.  If I hit the F9 (Calc Now) key when
in excel, it updates the sheet.  There must be code which automates this.

Please help!

Thanks,

Liz

"Norman Jones" wrote:

> Hi Liz,
>
> Look at the Calculate method in VBA help,
>
> You can optionally, calculate a specific range, a specific worksheet or all
> open workbooks.
>

> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
>

> <Liz L :> wrote in message
> >I am pulling data from another place which gets updated on save, however
> >not
> > just save, something on the sheet appears to need to be updated.  I have
> > written a Module which saves the sheet on a pre defined timed interval.
> > The
> > procedure is working (without editing the sheet).  But my data will not
> > update unless I manually change a cell anywhere on the sheet, then at the
> > next timed interval of Save, all my tags are updated.  How do I Change a
> > cell
> > (from within my code) each pass through the timer.  I beleive if the cell
> > automatically updated right before the save command, then my data
> > hopefully
> > will update also, as if I had manually changed the cell (I hope anyways).
> > The workbook is saving (with my procedure), yet it is not calculating the
> > cells upon save.  PS - Thanks for auto timer (OnTime) to cpearson.

0
LizL (2)
10/28/2005 6:03:01 AM
Hi Liz,

>I can't get a hit on Calculate Method.  If I hit the F9 (Calc Now)
> key when  in excel, it updates the sheet.  There must be code
> which automates this.

>> Look at the Calculate method in VBA help,

From VBA help:

'--------------------------->>
Calculate Method

Calculates all open workbooks, a specific worksheet in a workbook, or a
specified range of cells on a worksheet, as shown in the following table.

To calculate Follow this example
All open workbooks         Application.Calculate (or just Calculate)
A specific worksheet        Worksheets(1).Calculate
A specified range             Worksheets(1).Rows(2).Calculate
'<<---------------------------

---
Regards,
Norman

"Liz L :>)" <LizL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't get a hit on Calculate Method.  If I hit the F9 (Calc Now) key when
> in excel, it updates the sheet.  There must be code which automates this.
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Liz
>
> "Norman Jones" wrote:
>
>> Hi Liz,
>>
>> Look at the Calculate method in VBA help,
>>
>> You can optionally, calculate a specific range, a specific worksheet or
>> all
>> open workbooks.
>>

>> ---
>> Regards,
>> Norman
>>

>> <Liz L :> wrote in message
>> >I am pulling data from another place which gets updated on save, however
>> >not
>> > just save, something on the sheet appears to need to be updated.  I
>> > have
>> > written a Module which saves the sheet on a pre defined timed interval.
>> > The
>> > procedure is working (without editing the sheet).  But my data will not
>> > update unless I manually change a cell anywhere on the sheet, then at
>> > the
>> > next timed interval of Save, all my tags are updated.  How do I Change
>> > cell
>> > (from within my code) each pass through the timer.  I beleive if the
>> > cell
>> > automatically updated right before the save command, then my data
>> > hopefully
>> > will update also, as if I had manually changed the cell (I hope
>> > anyways).
>> > The workbook is saving (with my procedure), yet it is not calculating
>> > the
>> > cells upon save.  PS - Thanks for auto timer (OnTime) to cpearson.

0
normanjones (1047)
10/28/2005 11:27:12 AM
Norman -

You are my hero!   I did ask for Calculate Method, and it came up with zero
hits.  I did this from excel inside a VBA module and asked for help.  Any
idea what I did wrong to not get what you got?

Thanks again, I appreciate thee extra help.  I just learned about
programming in a class last week, so I am excited to find things on my own,
as it means I can do more on my own.

"Norman Jones" wrote:

> Hi Liz,
>
> >I can't get a hit on Calculate Method.  If I hit the F9 (Calc Now)
> > key when  in excel, it updates the sheet.  There must be code
> > which automates this.
>

> >> Look at the Calculate method in VBA help,
>
> From VBA help:
>
> '--------------------------->>
> Calculate Method
>
> Calculates all open workbooks, a specific worksheet in a workbook, or a
> specified range of cells on a worksheet, as shown in the following table.
>
> To calculate Follow this example
> All open workbooks         Application.Calculate (or just Calculate)
> A specific worksheet        Worksheets(1).Calculate
> A specified range             Worksheets(1).Rows(2).Calculate
> '<<---------------------------
>

> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
>

> "Liz L :>)" <LizL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't get a hit on Calculate Method.  If I hit the F9 (Calc Now) key when
> > in excel, it updates the sheet.  There must be code which automates this.
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Liz
> >
> > "Norman Jones" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Liz,
> >>
> >> Look at the Calculate method in VBA help,
> >>
> >> You can optionally, calculate a specific range, a specific worksheet or
> >> all
> >> open workbooks.
> >>

> >> ---
> >> Regards,
> >> Norman
> >>

> >> <Liz L :> wrote in message

0
LizL (2)

Edit System Attributes?
Is there any way to edit the system attributes? I need to change the attribute of estimated value to estimated amount as this is the reason identified by microsoft which is not allowing me to convert leads into opportunities. Thanks Faiz. Hi Faiz, Not quite sure on which entity you mean Lead or Opportunity and what you mean but "edit"? Currently: - On the Lead entity, there is an attribute with schema name "estimatedamount" (display name "Est. Value") - On the Opportunity entity, there is an attribute with schema name "estimatedvalue" (displa...

Flip data within cell macro
My wife inherited a spreadsheet in which column A has peoples names in the format of John Doe. She needs to change those all to format Doe John. I've been trying to write a macro to do this but haven't been successful. Any ideas? Thanks, Dan -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com "Dan Royal" <droyal7399@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Ybc6b.369278$YN5.248298@sccrnsc01... > My wife inherited a sp...

Draging Cells
Hi, I am using excel 2002. Whenever I open an excel file and click on a cell, it will start to drag and select other cells even by not left clicking the mouse. May I know how can I disable this? Thanks! puzzled Have you disabled any Macros that might be present? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I am using excel 2002. >Whenever I open an excel file and click on a cell, it will >start to drag and select other cells even by not left >clicking the mouse. May I know how can I disable this? > >Thanks! > >puzzled >. > May be Extended selection &qu...

How to Calculate if a Range of Times Falls Between two Date/Time S
I have a problem where I am tracking maintenance workers who forget and do not clock out for supper. Supper time is between 18:00 and 18:30 hours daily. I couldn’t figure out how formulate if a time range (18:00 - 18:30) fell between two Date/Time stamps so I compromised figuring if I could illustrate that his time card showed he was still clocked in during the middle of the supper mealtime, I would be able to confront him and remind him of the need to clock out. Row H is the Start Date/Time Row I is the Stop Date/Time Row J contains: =IF(AND(MOD(H1,1)<TIMEV...

Office:Mac 2008 Home&Student edition -- can't use while someone else is using a DIFFERENT edition
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Here's the problem. Purchased H&S edition and installed on 3 computers on office network. Since needed to use Office on another computer, purchased standard 2008 Office and it wouldn't install. Then purchased another H&S edition (after trying to take Office back). It will install on my computer, but will not allow me to use while someone else on system is using Office. It seems to be fixed on the same ID number. Can't find a MS tel no to call. HELP!!! See if this helps: http://www.entourage.mvps.org...

You can not add or change a record because a related record...
Hi, I have a table to which I am trying to manually add a record. When I add a record directly to the table using query, I receive the error message "You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'tblMailingList-100220'". First I do not have a table called tblMailingList-100220. I do have a table called tblMailingList. Originally I had setup a relationship between tblMailingList and tblRenew where I joing the two tables by AcctNo and enforce referencial integrity and cascade update and delete. I have removed the refer...

How can I change my Word docs default to open center screen?
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've checked preferences and view and didn't find anything to remedy the situation. I notice that Pages opens center screen. Thank you. In order to show up in middle of screen first move window so top left corner is at top left corner of desktop. Next click on drag corner and move to lower right corner. next click on the green stop light button at top left. <br> &nbsp;then click again. Then shut down Word the document should be centered unless you have documented zoomed in where it extends of the screen....

Money 2000 German Edition
I have my financial data on Money 2000 German Edition. Microsoft does not ship the german edition any more. I cannot upgrade this data on a Money 2005 Deluxe French Edition neither on a Money 2006 Trial US Edition. I think there is an incompatibility between regions! Could anyboby help me about possible upgrade pathes from Money 2000 German Edition? THX a lot, Boris QIF Export and Import might be the solution you need. http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org/ Check http://money.mvps.org/faq/ for tips and fixes for MS Mo...

Cell size / spacing
I have merged two cells (vertically) and would like to change the "line spacing" for text entry .. I would like the text lines in the merged cell to be closer to each other. I know I can change the row height, but can't see how to change the space between the two rows when they are merged .. I would like the text in the two lines to be closer together. I know I can change to a smaller font size, but the line spacing is still too big for what I want. Any help would be much appreciated. Abay Your first line is the problem. I have merged two cells................. Re-c...

Calculated Item overrides "Show Items with no data" checkbox
I've seen this question asked before, but I haven't seen an adequate answer, so I figured I'd try to ask it again to see if there are any fresh ideas on it: Take an example where you've got raw data of orders that contains the following fields Region City Product Total Sales $ You create a pivot table With Region & City as the Row Fields, Product as the Column Field and Total Sales $ as the data. This works fine. Now if you try to add a calculated item, say the difference in sales of Product A and Product B, the whole pivot blows up and you get every city appearing in ...

How do I get all narrative to fit into one cell block?
I handle moves of sites. There is one field that requires some fairly extensive explanation of any issues that have occurred for history purposes. I have discovered that excel will cut off at a certain amount of data. If you click on the excel box you can see all the data. However, when it prints and when you are not on the box you cannot read the remainder of the issues and ifit was resolved. Is there any way I can tell excel to open up the number of charaters it will handle per cell? I have tried to abreviate but that has not even helped. I have even made the print smalle...

how to add a calculated field into case entity?
we wanted to follow up which spare parts have been used in a case entity during problem solving.So a new entity hass been added with referance, description, usage qty and unit price.Now we would like to see the sum of the usage qty * unit price of used items in case solving. Is there a way to achieve this? Did anybody have such customisation? Regards ...

How to print out all cell formulas.
What is the best way to print out all cell formulas that are on a spreadsheet? I need them printed out for a copyright application. Thankyou Ed Press Ctrl ~ (tilde) to change to the view formula mode. Print HTH "Ed" wrote: > What is the best way to print out all cell formulas that are on a spreadsheet? > > I need them printed out for a copyright application. > Thankyou > Ed Hi Ed See http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#Formulas -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CC25D1...

countif based on calculated field
I have a field that calculates a value from a range of fields: [BA2]=(AX2/49)/49*2*10 where [AX2]=SUM(A2:AW2) where A2:AW2 is a sorted list of numbers. Now, I want to count how many numbers in the list are below m calculated value BA2: [BC2]=COUNTIF(A2:AW2,"<BA2") The count however is 0, even though there are actually 4 numbers tha are below BA2 (whose value is 25.3). If I replace BA2 in the conditio with the value 25.3: [BC2]=COUNTIF(A2:AW2,"<25.3") it works. But it doesn't work if I leave it as BA2. I need to use this in 50 rows, and then I have to repe...

How can I delete specific cells within a list?
How can I delete cells, (note not the content of these cells, but the cells themselves) within a list that contain a specific value '0' without changing the order of the remaining items in the list? Hi Chris, Try this, Assuming your list is in column A. Put this in helper column B =IF(A1=0,NA(),"") and drag down to the end of your data. While column B is still highlighted tap the F5 key, This will bring up the Go To dialog box Click the Special button Check Formulas Uncheck Numbers, Text and Logicals Leave Errors checked And OK out This will leave only the #NA errors...

How to merge cell?
Hi, is it possible to merge cells in Excel like the table in Word? For example, is it possible to merge cells in B2C5 as one cell, so that text input there can be larger but not influence on other surrounding cells such B6,B7, B8, D2, D3, D4, ... Thanks! First, merging cells makes lots of things much more difficult--I try not to use it. But if you need to: select B2:C5 format|cells|Alignment tab|check merge cells. Min wrote: > > Hi, is it possible to merge cells in Excel like the table in Word? For > example, is it possible to merge cells in B2C5 as one cell, so that text >...

Publisher 98 with Windows XP Home Edition: Conflicts + Help!
I have a new PC with Windows XP Home Edition as OS. I installed my Office 97 including Publisher 98 OK but I am having TERRIBLE problems with dropdown menus and other features (some of which are elsewhere too... For example my trusty WS_FTP LE no longer works and odd buttons in other programmes have "lost" their labels). However, with Pub98 (which I use to build websites) the MAIN problems are that when I open menus, they have been "truncated" so bits are inaccessible. For example if I want to change to a different colour background or add wallpaper, that part of the menu...

Changing y-axis to category
Hi, I'm new and not very experienced with all of this, would appreciat someone's help. I'm trying to make a scientific chart similar to a stoc "high-low-closing" chart. For this I need the y-axis to sho categories and the x-axis to show values. It seems like the only way to accomplish this is by using a bar graph which distorts the way I'm trying to show data. Is there a way t simply switch the x and y axes on a high-low-closing graph? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Edward - Without actually switching the orientation of a stock chart,...

change two lines of text data to one
when i extract data from a data base in text form, each record is on two lines. Every record is comprised of a number of fields separated by spaces. How do i spread each record onto a single line so that I can work with each individual field in access. Instead of exporting a text file, and opening it in Excel, maybe you can import directly from the other database to Access. the turtle wrote: > when i extract data from a data base in text form, each record is on two > lines. Every record is comprised of a number of fields separated by spaces. > How do i spread each record onto ...

pls give me some document about changing application's skin
i want to change the skin of vb application through hook,any one can give me some document, thanks a lot daniel wang You should make a quick search in google.com on how to define a WindowProc for the form you want to change, then handle WM_NCPAINT and WM_NCCALCSIZE to set skin dimensions and draw the skin. Use GetWindowDC() to get a device context of the whole window including the non-client area - that's where you want to draw. Have fun, Daniel C. Gindi danielgindi (at) gmail dot com "ws" <shengwang2000@126.com> wrote in message...

sort a column without losing the corresponding value in next col
How do I sort a column of titles in one column alphabetically without losing the corresponding value it is attached to in the next column? 1) Select ALL the columns that make up the data set, not just one column 2) Do not use the sort icon, click on DATA > SORT to open the advanced sorting window 3) Set the sort columns in the order you want Does that help? -- "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB (www.MadRocketScientist.com) Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you. "sun_rise" wrote: > How do I sort a column of titles in one col...

Copying selected cells
Can I copy certain cells in a row to paste to an excel spreadsheet? Yes. Or you could create a query that returns the data you want, then export that query to Excel. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "Gail" <Gail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63860AD5-9989-4EBA-B2F9-82895A03D57A@microsoft.com... > Can I copy certain cells in a row to paste to an excel spreadsheet? Access is not a spreadsheet and it doesn't support the concept of cells. That means that the selection behavior is different. the best way to control specific data ...

Sort columns containing merged cells.
How do I sort an Excel worksheet containing merged cells? Unmerge the cells first *Soapbox alert* Merging cells is the cause of much more pain than gain and most power users & MVPs who post here will urge, encourage, and advise you to merge cells only when absolutely needed. "Ron" wrote: > How do I sort an Excel worksheet containing merged cells? ...

Able to DeleteDosDevice for a drive letter but can't flush FS cache without reead access on device.
Hello, Is there anyway to dismount (flush any information about) a drive letter when you don't have read or write access to the volume directly. Background: I was able to setup the device and assign a drive to it so only the limited user could access it via the drive letter. That worked great and no security issues with other users accessing/reading the raw device while data was available. However, dismounting is a problem. I can't use the LOCK/DISMOUNT FSCTL on the volume when opened with "0" permissions (I have to have GENERIC_READ which fails unless I ...

New Cell Styles
Can anyone enlighten me as to the purpose of the "Good,Bad and Neutral" formating in Cell Styles and also the "Data and Model" formatting? Thanks........... In XL2007, Microsoft has provided some suggest colours schemes that seem to go together in a theme. Suppose you have monthly sales; maybe you want to colour good months with one colour and bad with another. Date and Model are similar. One can use one colour for cell with formulas (calculations); another for raw data. All that is being offered is a palette of colours; it is up to the user to decide if and when to ...