Automatically match destination formatting?

I have a spreadsheet where I would like everything I paste into to it to
match the formattting of the cells around it--not retain the formatting it
had in its original location. I don't want to have to select "match
destination formatting" every time--I want it to default to that. Any ideas?
Thanks.

I cannot find a way to make Excel paste automatically using destination
formatting.  A workaround is to use a macro to do the paste:

Sub PasteWithDestinationFormatting()
    ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="HTML", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:= _
        False, NoHTMLFormatting:=True
End Sub

You could assign this to a shortcut key (Ctrl-Shift-v in this example) by
running this macro:

Sub SetPasteShortcut()
    Application.OnKey "^V", "PasteWithDestinationFormatting"
End Sub

--
Jim
"Nuttysmallbar" <Nuttysmallbar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have a spreadsheet where I would like everything I paste into to it to
| match the formattting of the cells around it--not retain the formatting it
| had in its original location. I don't want to have to select "match
| destination formatting" every time--I want it to default to that. Any
ideas?
| Thanks.

0
jrrech (1932)
6/9/2005 1:27:20 PM
I'll try that, thanks!

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> I cannot find a way to make Excel paste automatically using destination
> formatting.  A workaround is to use a macro to do the paste:
>
> Sub PasteWithDestinationFormatting()
>     ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="HTML", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:= _
>         False, NoHTMLFormatting:=True
> End Sub
>
> You could assign this to a shortcut key (Ctrl-Shift-v in this example) by
> running this macro:
>
> Sub SetPasteShortcut()
>     Application.OnKey "^V", "PasteWithDestinationFormatting"
> End Sub
>

> --
> Jim
> "Nuttysmallbar" <Nuttysmallbar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have a spreadsheet where I would like everything I paste into to it to
> | match the formattting of the cells around it--not retain the formatting it
> | had in its original location. I don't want to have to select "match
> | destination formatting" every time--I want it to default to that. Any
> ideas?
> | Thanks.

Shortcut to format painter
Is ther a keyboard shortcut to the format painter and if not what is the code line i should use to create my own shortcut plaese Judith : A few links on keyboard shortcuts, et al. Chip Pearson http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ShortCuts.htm David McRitchie http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm I've never seen a shortcut for the Format Painter. David McRitchie's site has a link to a macro that provides some functionality. Search the page for 'Painter'. HTH Paul ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

sending attachments in rich text format
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_007C_01CA9538.F7528CD0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Can anybody tell me how I send an attachment with an e-mail from within Microsoft Office 2007 in rich text format please Wendy ------=_NextPart_000_007C_01CA9538.F7528CD0 Content-Type: image/gif; name="QMARK.GIF" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-ID: <7D394D5C2EB043D9A973E27399E2B9B5@andyPC> R0lGODlhEwAfAPcAAP8ICP8PDv8VFf8dHP8kI/...

Conditional format that higlights differing data on two worksheets
I have a workbook that contains a worksheet for a single week of any given month and in the sheet I have an individual's time reported for each day of the week. I have a second workbook that contains an individual's time reported by each day for the entire month. I would like to compare the two to determine if there is a mismatch and highlight those cells. The logic goes something like this: (1) I need to match person A in column C of workbook1 to the same name in column C in workbook2. (2) I then need to match the date of the month on workbook 1 & 2 for person A in step #1. (3)...

Attachments convert to text format
When I send a message with an attachment in Outlook XP some receivers claim that all they receive is a text mail. My default mail format is plain text. If I change it to HTML I fear some recivers would not see the content at all. How can I solve it ? Note: I change the format of a particular mail if it contains an attachment, but sometimes I miss to do that. Tork2001 wrote: > When I send a message with an attachment in Outlook XP some receivers claim > that all they receive is a text mail. > My default mail format is plain text. If I change it to HTML I fear some > recivers ...

Figures locked in text format
I imported data from a web page and used the feature that allows me to post the info to Excel with the destination formatting of the file I am posting it to. However, when I try to manipulate the data, as I have done in the past with other data, it will not let me reformat the text to number- no matter what I do to it. I've tried everything! I want to be able to sum the column, etc. Give us an example of the data you are working with. And what have you tried to "do to it"? Regards, Fred "Marcia" <Marcia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Is there a way to automatically put the $ sign into the formula?
I want to turn this =A1 into =$A$1. How is the best way of doing this. Is there a shortcut....keyboard stroke to do this?? Hit [F4] several times and watch the results. Micky "hrb_2001" wrote: > I want to turn this =A1 into =$A$1. > How is the best way of doing this. Is there a shortcut....keyboard stroke to > do this?? > Hi, Enter =A1 then tap F4 Repeated taps of F4 scroll through the referencing options -- Mike When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently an...

Excel limited cell formats
I have run into Excel's limit on 4000 cell foremats. I have since split the excel workbook into two separate workbooks. My question is, how can I launch these from a template and have the two workbooks link with each other, My original workbook has 25 separate sheets within the workbook for a total of 3.25mb size. I have a whole slew of macros assigned to different command buttons. Mike Johnson ...

Pivot charts formatting
Hi, I want to change the formatting imposed by default in a pivot chart and I want that changed formatting to be retained permanently. For example, for my bar chart, for the different series I have selected colours / patterns but every time I refresh the pivot table / chart; excel falls back to its own colour coding. Any way to get around this? Many thanks in anticipation. Not directly. The only way to simulate this is to record a macro of the formatting changes that you make and then set it up to run whenever the PivotChart calculates. Assuming your pivot chart is on a seperate shee...

automatically sending messages at set times??
Wondering if there's a way with Outlook to send a default message at a specified time?? ie: a message for my ex to repay me her debts on a weekly basis :P "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O$2Z4y0zEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Wondering if there's a way with Outlook to send a default message at a > specified time?? > > ie: a message for my ex to repay me her debts on a weekly basis :P Sure if you are willing to write code but chances are it would be easier to do from the command line with one of the email utilities like ...

Protect formatting & formula
I need to protect the formatting & formula in each cell to avoid accidental changes during update by different users. However, if I protect them, any new row creation and deletion are disable. Is there any way resolve it? Especially, when create a row, how can all formatting and formula to create automatically for the new row? Thanks, Scott What version of Excel? "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message news:%23bsg6kCBGHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I need to protect the formatting & formula in each cell to avoid accidental >changes d...

can cells apply conditional formatting using the internal clock?
I am using excell to keep track of my production schedule and I wanted to know if there was a way to tie the cells in a worksheet to the internal date and time in the computer,so that the cells will update automatically. Example: Row A10 would be my production start date, Row A1 would be my projected finish date, I would like the cells in between to go from green to red as I near the finish date without manually inputting the date in each cell. Can you help me? Thyanks Set the normal format as desired (I selected a Pattern of Green). Select A1:A10, then select Format | Conditional Fo...

Automatic Find and Populate
Ok, I have several spreadsheets that represent bills and have tabs that represent the months. So, when I recieve a new bill for the month, I copy last month's bill onto a new tab, and rename it using the billing cycle. Each year, for each account number is contained in its own workbook- ie: account 245-9999 has a workbook for 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005; within that workbook are tabs for Jan, Feb, Mar, etc. Ok, on a single month's tab, there are anywhere from 10 to 900 individual line items representing circuits. What I want to do is create a separate spreadsheet that lists unique c...

XSLT, XPath, and XSL Formatting Objects (XSLFO)
does dot net support apis for XSLFO in addition to XSLT? Thanks In data Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:47:40 -0500, David Laub ha scritto: > does dot net support apis for XSLFO in addition to XSLT? AFAIK no, you have to use nfop: http://nfop.sourceforge.net/ -- Lawrence "In IE we trust" Lawrence Oluyede wrote: >>does dot net support apis for XSLFO in addition to XSLT? > > > AFAIK no, you have to use nfop: > http://nfop.sourceforge.net/ You can, but you don't have to. There are plenty of production quality XSL-FO formatters supporting .NET. Most of them ar...

Automatic calculation
Hi I have a workbook that takes an eternity to calculate and therefore, have the calculation mode set to manual. I would like the calculation mode set to Automatic when the workbook is deactivated or closed, but do not want the workbook to be calculated when this happens. Is that at all possible? Thanks in advance Ben You could use workbook events that fire when the workbook is activated/deactivated. Rightclick on the excel icon (to the left of File|Edit|...) on the menubar. Select view code and paste this in the code window. Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_Activate() Applica...

Change the format of my footer {date} option?
I would like to show the date in my footer as January 25, 2005 instead of the default 01/25/05 Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.LeftFooter = Format(Date, "mmmm dd, yyyy") End With End Sub put this in the ThisWorkbook code module. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:817363F1-32AB-4528-B1D6-304F8E712EA8@microsoft.com... > I would like to show the date in my footer as January 25, 2005 instead of the &g...

Cell formatting: displaying lat/long coordinates
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4366C.F3FDF050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Rather than formatting a cell to display time in hours and minutes and = seconds, I would like to display latitude and longitude in degrees, = minutes, and seconds. e.g. 43=BA 25' 34" Is this possible in Excel 2000? ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4366C.F3FDF050 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W...

Excel: Allow to turn on / off automatic header selection in sorts
Is there a way to turn off automatic selection of header rows in Excel when sorting data? I routinely sort a section of data by the first three columns, and a majority of times Excel wants to make the first row selected a header row. Extremely annoying. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

I'm looking for a cookbook page format
Final copy will be bound in 6 x 9 inch format (book size). Thanks :) 2 recipes per page I'm thinking. ...

Manual Worklflow
hi I have a manual workflow and am keen to know how to go about creating a scheduled job to automatically execute the workflow every morning/every night .. any advice would be helpful. regards Ridhima Hi Ridhima, the first step is to modify your manual workflow to wait 24 hours and execute itself: Manual rule ... your logic Wait for 1 day(s) Exec: Manual rule You may want to add some checks to ensure that workflow is stopped when appropriate, e.g. when record becomes inactive, e.g. Manual rule ... your logic Wait for 1 day(s) if <Your entity>....

More formatting
I print karaoke books with the artist in column 1 and the song titles in column2.. Is there a way to move each artists song titles below the artists name in column 1? col1 col2 To This Col1 Artist Song1 Artist Song2 Song1 Song3 Song2 Song3 -- karyoker ------------------------------------------------------------------------ karyoker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29417 View this thread: http://www.excelforum...

how do I get rid of the automatic 2 spaces after every period
when i am in Excell and i put in 1.29 it always comes out as 1. 29 it does this is Word as well when ever i use a period anywhee it always puts 2 spaces in. if i go ... i get . . . >-----Original Message----- >when i am in Excell and i put in 1.29 it always comes out as 1. 29 > >it does this is Word as well when ever i use a period anywhee it always puts >2 spaces in. if i go ... i get . . . >. > Sounds like it could be a keyboard problem. Does it do this in Notepad or any other application where you can input characters? "squarelock" <s...

Formatting formulas
I'm entering a formula into a cell. As I enter the formula, Excel is providing the normal cues, i.e., telling me which argument I should be entering (all well and fine). However, once I'm done, it appears that Excel is interpreting what I entered as text. If I edit the cell, all looks fine. If I check the Format of the cell, it says it's a text. What am I doing wrong? .. . .and the formula is . . . .? -- Russell Dawson Excel Student "jmt" wrote: > I'm entering a formula into a cell. As I enter the formula, Excel is > providing the...

Automatic sending massages( in background)
Most of the time i receive a massages(E-mail) from server (Etisalat) that my massage failed to send (from:internet mail server) (subject: problem during delivery processing)(Message-id:<BAY114-W39F46A05A177215177A8F5A7990@phx.gbl>) this is one example of id You haven't given us much to go on. As a minimum we would need to see a verbatim copy of the failure notice. Are these messages you have sent? If not, they are probably emails sent out by a spammer who is using your 'From' address. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.c...

How to stop reviewing bar from automatically appearing
Everytime I open any Excel sheet in 2003, the "reviewing toolbar" keeps showing up [what a pain] - I turn it off - and oops it's there again next time. Is there an option for controlling this? Any way to turn off in the registry? I just don't want the barthere.... Thx. -- NAG - Network Administrator Guru 8-) Nor do most people I think!, That ,and the accursed smart tags are the annoying things about the later versions of XL. As far as I'm aware the only way to permanently stop it is using code in a Worksheet _Open or Activate event. Obviously adding VBA code ...

Advanced Footnote Formatting
In legal documents it is common to insert a slash before the footnote number. Is there any way to do that kind of formatting in Word? Well, you can do it manually. You cannot include text with the actual footnote reference number, though. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP <faceman28208@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c7a407f8-6501-4ce2-aa6e-35a2f4b39d94@r1g2000yqb.googlegroups.com... > In legal documents it is common to insert a slash before the footnote > number. > > Is there any way to do that kind of formatting in Word? To clarify: If you...