Automatic Updating of cells with formulas...

Hi, I have a spread sheet with several rows that use formulas t
generate their contents, but the problem is that everytime I alter th
data in my table, it has to recalculate all the derived cells and i
takes like 10 seconds every time I change something in my data.  Is i
possible to disable automatic updating of cells, so that I can ente
all of my new data and then enable it again so it can updat
everything?  Thanks for your help.

Hi

tools / options/ calculations tab - set to manual

Cheers
JulieD

"Edge118 >" <<Edge118.17c5sx@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a spread sheet with several rows that use formulas to
> generate their contents, but the problem is that everytime I alter the
> data in my table, it has to recalculate all the derived cells and it
> takes like 10 seconds every time I change something in my data.  Is it
> possible to disable automatic updating of cells, so that I can enter
> all of my new data and then enable it again so it can update
> everything?  Thanks for your help.
>
> RB
>

> ---

JulieD1 (2295)
6/4/2004 5:17:29 PM
Good answer from JulieD.

Once set that way, use F9 to manually recalc.  I would
SUGGEST that if you follow JulieD's advice that you add a
note to your sheet to remind yourself (and perhaps users)
that you've set manual recalc and to use the F9 key to
update; otherwise you might forget and leave an updated
sheet unrecalculated.
HTH2

0
anonymous (74722)

Proper formula
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) I have a product list that was typed in uppercase I used the proper formula to change this. I now need to edit the new list but it just gives me the formula not he text in the cell. <br><br>Have tried formatting cells to txt. Any ideas? In article <59bb04bc.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, Sands@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > > I have a product list that was typed in uppercase I used the proper formula > to change this. I now need to edit t...

Quotes won't update
Ever since I installed Money Deluxe 2004 on a new PC I bought in April individual stock quotes stopped updating. All my quote updates were working in Money 2003 Deluxe prior to the 2004 update and the new computer and they are still working on my old computer. ALL OTHER INFORMATION ( PROVIDERS, MONEY UPDATES, ETC.) ARE WORKING AND NEVER CEASED WORKING. Individual quotes and the portfolio totals are not being updated, even though the date stamp in the lower left hand corner shows the correct date and time of the update and the message says the updates were successful. Microsoft phone...

Show which cell has MAX, MIN values?
At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN formulas. Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or MIN value? At least the row number? Ed Ed, To return the row =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false) or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999 =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1)) or to return other matching information, like a name in column A =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE)) HTH, Bernie MS E...

array formula woes
Greetings all, I have found this group of such extreme value over the past 6 months as I take the first steps in learning the wonders of excel... so thank you to all who have offered wisdom. This, however is my first time posting a question so forgive me if I require some feedback on the proper way to ask a question! I am using an array formula which reads a value in one cell then finds the closest match to that value in a range of cells. I use: {=INDEX($AG$5:$AG$53,MATCH(MIN(ABS($AG$5:$AG$53-AA5)),ABS($AG$5:$AG$53-AA5),0))} works great! Next step: I have a formula which reads the resul...

Highlighting Updated Records
Hi I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please with a problem I have with a db I'm working on. I have a subform with approx 15 fields on it where on any given day can have their data amended, added or deleted. What I would like to do is to capture which records have been amended in a report within a given month. I know how to show which records have been updated by adding another field to the table which has a date stamp but my problem is as follows: I would like to actually show the individual fields which have been updated, rather than the whole record. Now I ha...

date formulas #5
Please help! I have given an example of part of the spreadsheet i am creating to outline my queery: Report in / Reply due / 1 Sept 2005 / 1 Sept 05 4 Sept 2005 / 18 Sept 05 / 14 Jan 00 / etc, / etc, I have entered the following formula in the 'reply due' column: B1 = A1 + 14 which calculates the date two weeks after the date in the 'report in' column. When i drag the formula down so it applies the entire 'reply due' column the cells aut...

Access unwanted automatic data entry
when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to the next field, it often enters a number in that field. Why does it do that nad how can I make it stop! Are entering data direcctly into Access table? If so, stop doing that, unless you only do it occasionally to repair data in database and you know database design and manage it. "Pat the biologist" <Pat the biologist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B724974-C937-4C5C-BDBA-1A086C0712A1@microsoft.com... > when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to...

Better formula
Looking for a short cut for this formula. I need to repeat this for ever 5th pair of rows up to row 81. =SUMIF(C10,"he",E10)+SUMIF(C11,"he",E11)+SUMIF(C15,"he",E15)+ ...... Any way to make this quicker formula so I am not making a insanely long formula? One guess ... Try: =SUMPRODUCT((C10:C81="he")*(OR(MOD(ROW(E10:E81),5)={0;1})),E10:E81) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "B.B" <me@mail.com> wrote in message news:Z3T%g.197211$R63.31057@pd7urf1no... > Looking for a short cut for this formula. ...

require cell completion in a form?
I have a very simple form in Excel. I'm not sure if it matters, but the machine I'm on uses Excel 2002, and most of the users are on Excel 2000. The first 2 questions on my form require that the user select from a list of names, and then select their relationship to that person. Then the users answer a series of questions about this person's job performance. I'm using data validation to manage the two drop-down lists - the names and the relationships. However, about a third of my users end up leaving one or both of these cells blank. I have a comment box set up as a remin...

Pivot Table Updates Issue
My Data had a coloum containing stuff like Marketing Department Sales Department Shipping Department I built a bunch of pivot tables on this data. Then I changed the data to read: Marketing Dept Sales Dept Shipping Dept and performed a Refresh Data. Now, on the filter pulldowns on any of the Pivot tables, I see Marketing Department Sales Department Shipping Department Marketing Dept Sales Dept Shipping Dept The first three option no longer exist in any of the data, and I do not want them in the list. How to fix this problem without recreating and reformatting 38 seperate Pivot table...

Last cell with data in a range
I enter weekly data into a spreadsheet with a summary page at the front. After every week, when new data is entered, I want the formula at the front to use the cell with the new data instead of me having to change the existing formula. For example, my data looks like this: A B C 276 300 421 175 0 0 0 I need a formula that will automatically detect the last number >0 in column C. Thank you for your assistance! =Countif(C2:C1000,">0") so your main page formula might be something like: =...

Average range of discontinuous cells
I have a block of columns (P-CT) that I need to average but only every 4th one. Example: I need to average P, T, X, AB, AF, AJ, AN, AR, AV, AZ, BD, BH, BL, BP, BT, BX, CB, CF, CJ, CN, CR. If I just type =AVERAGE(selecting these cells) it gives me 40238 when the only one with a value is cell P. These cells contain dates if anything. They are payment dates. I need the average number of dates it took to pay something. Any ideas for Excel 2003? Thanks. Never mind. I forgot to include my beginning date. It works. Just user error. "Nadine" wrote: > ...

create pivot table formula without the GETPIVOTDATA function
Previous to Excel 2003 I could use a pivot table result in a formula and copy that formula as a relative reference. In Excel 2003 a GETPIVOTDATA fromula is created and uses an absolute reference. Is there a way in Excel 2003 to either make it arelative reference (without editing the formula) or revert to the method used in all prior releases? There are instructions here for adding the Generate GetPivotData button to a toolbar, and toggling the feature on and off: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html ebergkes wrote: > Previous to Excel 2003 I could use a pivot table resu...

Keyboard shortcut for editing links with updating
Can some one post the keyboard shortcut: When editing a link in a worksheet I don't want it update with new value when I hit Enter because it takes long to update(going over anetwork) and have many links to edit. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi there, There isn't a shortcut that I know of per se - what you can do is go to Tools-->Options on the Calculation tab change it from Automatic to Manual. This will apply to all links and calculatio...

Updating Standard Costs
I'm looking for an easy way to update all of our standard costs so that they can be used for quotational purposes. Unfortunately, the only way that it seems I'll be able to accomplish this is if I can create some sort of SQL script. Depending on what the difference is (percentage) between the current cost, and the current standard cost they want the new standard cost to be the current cost * x% (where x is going to vary). We're using the Horizons Manufacturing Suite, and I don't believe it has this capability. Anyone else been in this situation before? How did you a...

display cell value in msgbox formatted as %
Hi I have been trying to come up with a way to display a cell value in a msgbox so that it formats properly as a percent. I have tried: Productivity = Format(Range("A1").Value, "###,# %") Msgbox Productivity This always gives me a leading 0 (e.g 015%) and I want it to display 15.0%. So I tried this: Productivity = Format(CStr(Range("A1").Value) * 100, "#,###.0") & "%" and it works ok but... I want to use the value of productivity in computations - which I can't formatted as a string ... Am I missing something - or is it as simple...

Can multiple cell results be displayed in a single cell?
Is it possible to display the contents of multiple separate cells in another single cell? If the results of several cells say B1, B2, and B3 are the amounts $10, $15 and $20, I would like to display them in cell A1 as follows: $10 $15 $20 I could do this statically by using text and the 'Alt|Enter' function within the cell. However, these amounts will change from time to time so I'd like a link. Is this possible or not? Thanks for any help. Brett Brett One way: In A1: ="$"&B1&CHAR(10)&"$"&B2&CHAR(10)&"$"&B3&am...

Using color to ignore cells in a formula?????
Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore certain cells if you should change the color of that cell to a color. Example: =sum(a1:a50) if cell A25 was blue how can I ignore it so that it is not calculated? Mike A. Hi only with VBA. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm and http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Mike A." <MikeA@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:65C99320-9FE3-4E11-81C2-C262B82B565B@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore cer...

Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.
Hello all, I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list. Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can enter more than one in a cell from the dd list? -- Thanks, Geek using Office XP Professional Hi Geek Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html...

Worksheet Change Event log for multiple cells
Dear All, I have a spreadsheet that is available here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b02e5h4/n/Worksheet_change_event.zip (although I scanned it for viruses please make sure you do it again prior to opening it as I cannot guarantee it's worm free). I would like to create a log file in an additional sheet (hidden probably) that would record every activity from column E after clicking a button assigned to a cell in that column and show these records in a worksheet Totals in a specific row. For example: Column A from a worksheet „Totals” corresponds with column A in ...

Using Excel error #N/A in a formula
I would like to capture the error message #N/A in an IF statement Would like to use IF(MATCH(C1,Range,0)=#N/A,"OK","STOP") but it does not seem to work. What is the correct syntax to capture the #N/A error message and display "OK" instead of #N/A? =IF(ISNA(MATCH(C1,Range,0)),"OK","STOP") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I would like to capture the error message #N/A in an IF statement. > >Would like to use IF(MATCH(C1,Range,0)=#N/A,"OK","STOP") but it does not seem to work. What is the...

Excel: When printing some cells will not print text in them
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) When I print an Excel 08 spread sheet, two of the cells that have text in them will not print the text in the cell. All the other cells with text prints fine. The text does not even show up on print preview in the print dialogue box. Any suggestions on how to get it to include the text in these two cells? ...

#N/A Values : Returned by Formulas vs Entered Manually
Hello; When some cells of the data series have #N/A values returned by formulas, the corresponding chart fails. But if the #N/A values are manually entered into those same cells, the chart works fine !! To my understanding, Excel Charts treat cells with #N/A values as empty cells, so one may select the relevant chart option to "leave gaps", which is perfect. With this apparent different interpretation (by Excel Chart) of the same #N/A values in the data series, how can I make the #N/A values returned by formulas acceptable by the chart ?? Thank you for your help. The #N/A ...

Cost Update Method
I'm using POS 2.0. The manual and the help information indicate you should be able to update costs throught the Store Settings > Options > Inventory screen. I do not have the 'Cost update method" options listed on that screen. How can I have my costs updated using the weighted average method? Go to File>Configuration>Inventory, in Store Operations Manager. You should be able to select Weighted Average as your Cost Update Method. "BikeShop" wrote: > I'm using POS 2.0. The manual and the help information indicate you should > be able to up...

Connecting Cell with Lines
I have seen MSExcel printouts that have dotted or solid lines of different colors connecting different cells in a sheet. Is that something that can be done in MSExcel or would they have been added outside of MSExcel? If it can be done in MSExcel, how? In article <QbYYg.13615$GR.1871@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, "jerry" <jerryc314@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >I have seen MSExcel printouts that have dotted or solid lines of different >colors connecting different cells in a sheet. Is that something that can be >done in MSExcel or would they have been added outside of...