Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8-
10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I
change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a
random number, usually 38209.  I would like to turn off
ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too
much.  How do I disable this frustrating feature?

thanks.

0
pjclark (1)

Hi Paul

When you enter "8-10" in a cell, that's not strictly a number but Excel
thinks you mean a date so converts it as such.

A date is a number and in your example the number 38209 represents August 10
2004 which is not a random number.

If you precede 8-10 with a (ignore inverted commas) " ' " then the so-called
number will be interpreted by Excel as text and will appear as you want but
this may have implications if you are trying to use that cell in some kind
of formula / calculation.

--
XL2002
Regards

William

willwest22@yahoo.com

"Paul Clark" <pjclark@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8-
| 10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I
| change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a
| random number, usually 38209.  I would like to turn off
| ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too
| much.  How do I disable this frustrating feature?
|
| thanks.

0
willwest22 (109)
8/9/2004 4:29:21 AM
If the numbers are refences only then try formatting them as text.

"Paul Clark" wrote:

> Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8-
> 10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I
> change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a
> random number, usually 38209.  I would like to turn off
> ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too
> much.  How do I disable this frustrating feature?
>
> thanks.

0
Pickle1 (3)

mutiple conditional formating
What's the fomula to say in cell E3... If E3<D3 and todays date is > the date in H3 then... do what ever -- Ro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2974 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49465 =IF(AND(E3<D3,TODAY()>H3),result if true,result if false) -- Vito ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29182 Vie...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

Excel 2000 fail to open workbook

Controlling formating in HTML email
I start an HTML email. I am using Arial and the left margin is close to the left edge of the window. I write some text. Then I go to word doc and copy and paste some text from the doc into the email. The text comes in formatted like it appears in the Word doc, Times New Roman, with a indent set for Body Text 3. Then below it I want to go back to the original Arial with close to left edge margin. How do I do this? SteveK "SteveK" <sk-reeemovethis@dolby-reeemovethis.com> wrote in message news:%23I94dz5DFHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I start an HTML email. I am u...

Is this possible within Excel 2000?
Hi, I've used Excel on a get by basis for many years at work, and I'm just beginning to realise its vast capabilities, having viewed several groups which I didn't know existed previously. I subsequently would like to ask if it is possible for Excel to look at the numerical or text content of a cell on one worksheet and then look at a predefined range on another worksheet and find the equivalent cell content and then move the cursor to that cell? This has me stumped presently. Thanks in advance for any assistance. J.J. To actually move the selection, you'd need to use a litt...

Is there a free typing course for microsoft?
I'm a two finger typer - always have been. I was looking for a course in the training section and was not able to find one. Does anyone know of one? This newsgroup is for questions about Microsoft Access - the database that is part of MS Office Professional. You might do a search in Google or similar. I'm sure there are many cheap or free typing tutorials. -- Hope that helps! RBear3 .. "Design Diva" <Design Diva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39CB78BB-32AE-477B-A2C8-7A0BEB1305D2@microsoft.com... > I'm a two finger typer - always have ...

Excel -> Access Import Bizarreness

how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?"
how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?" http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010347861033.aspx "outlook" <outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4031ECB1-2DDF-438C-A8AA-A4065F830BE0@microsoft.com... > how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?" ...

Enumerate Excel Global variables
Anyone know if there's a way to enumerate the global variables within a workbook when opening it for automation? I know that you can write a macro in a general module that exposes a variable and then call that macro via: Excel.Application.Run(MacroName) But what if you have no control over the development of the Excel workbook and cannot dictate that a macro be written to expose the variable you're interested in? In fact in the case I'm dealing with I don't even know the name of the variable. All I know is that the workbook may have global variables of a COM component of a c...

Headers in Excel #3
Can you tell me if it's possible and if so, how I can change the header cells, i.e. A B C D E ... etc? Thanks. Andrea (508) 842-3880 Hi Andrea no this is not possible. The best workaround you can achieve is: - use row 1 as header - goto cell A2 and to the menu 'Windows - Freeze Panes' to always show row 1 - in 'Tools - Options - view' you can hide the row and column headers -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Andrea" <shrews.receptionist@nitco-lift.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:12ff301c44354$b88982b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can you tell ...

Error upon launching excel
I receive the following error every time I launch Excel (Office 200 Pro): Forward-most box: MICROSOFT VISUAL BASIC - Compile error: Can't find project or library (OK) I click OK, and behind it is: Large window: MICROSOFT VISUAL BASIC - GWXL97.XLA [break] small window within: GWXL97.XLA - Startup Macro (Code) I have to ok my way through these every time I attempt to start Excel, either by selecting the program, or selecting an *.xls file to launch it. Please help. Chris A reply from Rob Bovey (via google): This is the add-in for Novel Groupwise. It sounds like it was removed f...

Opening Excel '97
I have MS Excel '97 on my computer at work. I notice that when I open multiple excel files the program just puts all of the files in one window. I would prefer to have the files open up in individual windows. Is there a way to tell Excel to open everything in a new window? I know that I can just open up a new Excel window then open the file, but I would rather just click on the file and have it open a new window automatically. Any thoughts out there? xl2k was the first version to offer Tools|Options|view tab|windows in taskbar. It showed each window as a different icon on the ...

E-mail Part of excel sheet
How do you select and e-mail part of a work sheet, each time i try i get the whole sheets as part of the e-mail On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:52:02 -0700, "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >How do you select and e-mail part of a work sheet, each >time i try i get the whole sheets as part of the e-mail I don't think it can readily be done programmatically. However, if you use an e-mail client which supports messages in HTML (I use Outlook), you can copy/paste a part of your worksheet into the body of the message. To create...

Can't auto-complete e-mail addresses
Dear All, I just imported about 2000 contacts in my Outlook 2000 Address Book. Able to see them in the address book and create groups etc. But when i compose a new message and i try to enter some e-mail addresses in TO and then why do outlook do not give me suggestion to auto-complete them? I tried most of the settings. It wont work. What may be the problem? -Sameer Outlook 2000 has no such feature. Autocompletion didn't start until Outlook 2002. Versions of Outlook earlier than Outlook 2002 have a feature called auto-resolution. If you enter part of a name or a nickname then tab out o...

Sharing an excel spreadsheet
I am trying to make an Excel spreadsheet so that people from different departments can put information into it and then we can save it as one spreadsheet -- my hope is that from this spreadsheet we could see at any particular time just where this particular item is in our manufacturing process or when it left. I have put the spreadsheet in a shared folder and mapped a drive to the spreadsheeet. I am using 2007 and the other people are using 2003. I have made saved the file so that it is in compatibility mode. They can put the information in, but they can not save the information to ...

excel file can't be opened #2

How to transpose in excel file

Excel example-formula C4+C5 adds before data in C5 Can I get it t.
I'm trying to create a formula (for example): In cell D5 I want it to add C4+C5. I would like it to work only after there is data in C5, but not before. How can I get it to work only when there is data in C4 & C5? Right now its showing what I have in C4. =if(count(c4:c5)<2,"Not enough values!",c4+c5) New Excel User wrote: > > I'm trying to create a formula (for example): > In cell D5 I want it to add C4+C5. I would like it to work only after there > is data in C5, but not before. How can I get it to work only when there is > data in C4 & C5? R...

Conditional Format order
Hi all, Is there an easy way of changing the order of the three conditional formats for a cell, or do I just have to re-type them all? Thanks - Dave. Sorry, no quick and easy way - just be glad there aren't more to deal with! Do remember that you can change groups of cells to same conditions, at least you don't have to do that one at a time. "davebonallack@hotmail.com" wrote: > Hi all, > Is there an easy way of changing the order of the three conditional > formats for a cell, or do I just have to re-type them all? > Thanks - Dave. > > You could open...

how do i enable dde in excel?
i am posting a DDE link into an excel cell from an external program and getting the message ' DDE Not enabled' in the cell once the link is pasted in. how do i enable DDE? ...

how to convert between various video format?
Bigasoft Total Video Converter helps you fast convert between various video files to enjoy your favorite movie or music video on portable device, mobile phone, mp4 player, personal computer, television, YouTube and so on with ease. The powerful video conversion tool supports video conversion between a wide range of video formats, including AVI, Xvid, DivX, H.264, MP4, 3GP, MKV, WMV, RM, FLV, MOV, etc. The amazing video converter is not only an easy-to-use movie conversion tool but also a powerful audio converter which can convert between audio files like MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA, etc. Moreover,...

Pivot Table Axis format
Hi. I have a macro that creates a pivot-table and pivot chart. The X-axis is a date. In the raw data, the date is formated as month/day. This is the way I want it on the chart. However, the X-axis formats with month/day/year. How can I force this to display correctly? Thanks, Mike. Do you see a grey little dropdown under the X axis (where you can choose your dates to show)? If yes, then rightclick on it. Select the top option: "Format pivotchart field" then click on the Number button on the next dialog. There are a bunch of date formats that you can choose from. Maybe...