Auto format causes very large .xls files and slows my application.

I don't know how many rows of data will be entered at runtime.  Presently I
guess the maximum and apply auto format conditions to all rows that "could"
be used.

But this is creating very large .xls files (35MB) and is very inefficient
since every cell format is reassessed every time the workbook is modified
(can't switch off auto calc since users will forget to calc ! it's ok for me
but not them.).

Without using VBA, is there a way to apply auto format to rows containing
data ?

Select the range, then use Format - Autoformat.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"tur13o" <research@basingstoke.plus.com> wrote in message

> I don't know how many rows of data will be entered at runtime.  Presently
> guess the maximum and apply auto format conditions to all rows that
"could"
> be used.
>

> But this is creating very large .xls files (35MB) and is very inefficient
> since every cell format is reassessed every time the workbook is modified
> (can't switch off auto calc since users will forget to calc ! it's ok for
me
> but not them.).
>

> Without using VBA, is there a way to apply auto format to rows containing
> data ?

0
nowhere8060 (363)

excel file to cd-r is read only
oops - got the wrong key - ? is in the entry above. thanks, especially if you answer the ? above - I'm pretty new at this, but I'm working at it. kzas "kzas" wrote: > Use windows explorer to copy it back to your harddrive (or network drive). Then rightclick on it (still in Windows explorer) and choose Properties. Uncheck the readonly attribute. kzas wrote: > > oops - got the wrong key - ? is in the entry above. thanks, especially if > you answer the ? above - I'm pretty new at this, but I'm working at it. > kzas > > "kzas&qu...

Can Outlook auto count the # of e-mails I send in a day?
Trying to log the # of e-mails I send in a day and chart the results. Can Outlook tell me this? If not, can Outlook count the number of e-mails I highlight at one time? Example: I manually highlight all e-mails sent on Monday. Will it tell me that count? On 3/19/2010 9:45 PM, nboyle wrote: > Trying to log the # of e-mails I send in a day and chart the results. Can > Outlook tell me this? If not, can Outlook count the number of e-mails I > highlight at one time? Example: I manually highlight all e-mails sent on > Monday. Will it tell me that count? Xobni has inbox analy...

Conditional formating #11
I want to change the background of a whole line in a worksheet every where where the value of a cell in that line is X. =indirect("rc",0)= "x" only changes the background in the cell not the whole line Don't know why you are using indirect, but select the whole row and use a formula of =$A1="x" oe whatever cell it is -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Esrei" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1f6201c51f1c$52896ad0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I want to change the background of ...

Format last row printed
I have code that sets the border around the printed area prior to printing. I works fine on a single sheet, but if the print area is over several sheets, the bottom of the border prints on the last page. Is there a way to set the border on each page? Thanks in advance Vince The only way I know to do that is to first figure out (trial & error) how much of your data will print on one sheet if that range has a border. Then setup a macro to sequentially place the border and print that size range all the way through your data. That way the whole will be printed and ea...

Format Data Table
I am using Excell 2003. I have a bar chart that indicates; the number of prod A, prod B, prod C and the Total # of products, by month; April Ex: A=100, B= 200, C=50 and total = 350. My chart has a data table listed below the chart. My boss wants me to eliminate the "total" column from my graph but keep it in the data table. Is there a way to do this? I can eliminate the "total" column from the graph, but that also takes it out of the data table. Does anyone know how to keep it in the table but not in the graph itself? I would appreciate any help you can giv...

File parsing issue with CFile::GetPosition() function
All, We are facing an issue with CFile::GetPosition() function as detailed below: We are processing an ASCII file in text mode having less than 4096 bytes and containing more than 1 EOF (Hex 1a) character. In code when we call CFile::GetPosition() function to get current value of the file pointer, the return value is actual value + number of chars after first EOF character till last EOF character e.g. If file pointer is at 5th position and there are 3 characters after first EOF including last EOF then function will return 8 instead of 5. Please let us know if anybody has faced the same issu...

Openeing Excel File in New Window
I am having a Form in my Excel sheet which runs all the time. whenever I try to open a new Excel sheet. that Forms popup and restricts Excel file from openeing si I have to open a new window and then open that file in new window. Please help with HOW TO OPEN THE EXCEL FIEL IN A NEW WINDOW EVERY TIME. Do you mean a new instance of excel--running excel 2 times--not just having another window in the same instance? If yes, try: tools|options|general|Check the "ignore other applications" box Then open the second file by either double clicking it in windows explorer or by opening t...

Auto correct anyone?
In our office we have updated micro-office, I no longer can auto correct ya think maybe I'm doing something wrong...can anyone help Thanx ...

Printing Reports: Force A4 Format 07-19-07
hello! i am having trouble forcing a report to be in the A4 format when sending to the printer. it happens all the time that the report get send with the format 'letter' which causes the printer to stop and request for paper in letter format. the report i generate totally fits in the A4 format but it won't work the way i want it to! this is pretty annoying because i always have to manually push a button on the printer so that the report can be printed. is there a way through any preferences or vba code to make this work ? maybe someone can help me or give me a hint. thanks in adv...

creating WMF files in Excel
I have a picture in my worksheet and want to save it as WMF file. Is it possible to do it ? Any chance you could copy and paste into your favorite graphics editor and then save from there? GeorgeM wrote: > > I have a picture in my worksheet and want to save it as WMF file. > Is it possible to do it ? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

DOC> files
cannot open a DOC. FILE, IT SAYS TO CHANGE SOMETHING IN FOLDERS Hi, Eric - see my reply to your later post. Eric wrote: > cannot open a DOC. FILE, IT SAYS TO CHANGE SOMETHING IN > FOLDERS ...

How to rip Blu-ray movies to audio format like MP3
[b]How to rip Blu-ray movies to audio format like MP3[/b] If you've got a portable MP3/media player, you may be wondering what audio format and bitrate combination is best? If you're not going to be using high-end audiophile equipment in the future to listen to your digital music library, then the MP3 file format is best. It's an old algorithm but one that gives good results and is the most compatible audio format of them all. Most popular songs and movies are too expensive to buy. We usually want to convert songs (form movies) to a portable MP3/media player. Some of us tr...

Outlook 98 -- repairing pst file
Outlook hangs on opening. Used scanpst.exe, to no avail. Are there any other tips or tricks to recover the data? can the file be manually parsed? You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file. This is the file that stores your toolbar customizations, and when it becomes corrupted, Outlook can't use it at startup to build your toolbars, thus causing the hangups. Try renaming or deleting your outcmd.dat file while Outlook is closed. Renaming it might be the best idea if you have a lot of customizations that you'd prefer not to lose; that way if renaming the file doesn't solve your...

outlook 2007 sp2 - outgoing email
Suddenly I have become unable to send mail containing jpg files. Message says file is too big (3 photos - about 18 mb). Until about 2 weeks ago I could send 8 to 10 jpg files in an email without problems. My ISP says they have not created any size limitations. Any suggestions doc suzi wrote: > Suddenly I have become unable to send mail containing jpg files. Message > says file is too big (3 photos - about 18 mb). Until about 2 weeks ago I > could send 8 to 10 jpg files in an email without problems. My ISP says they > have not created any size limitations. A...

Help with Conditional Formatting #3
Hi, I have a spreadsheet. Column A has a question. The next 6 columns have the answer. The next column has the right answer. Is there a way I can do conditional formatting so that the right answer is formatted with a gray background to show it is right. I like having the answer at the end but I was hoping not to have to manually gray each correct answer box. Thanks in advance. I know I might need an IF statement too or something. Select cells B2:H100 (or whatever the rows are) Goto Format>Conditional Formatting Change Condition 1 To Formula Is Add a formula of =B2=$I2 Click Format Selec...

Problems when printing large workbooks
In Excel, we often have to print out large workbooks that contain multiple pages. This is difficult and time consuming as often you have to print each page individually as selecting "entire workbook" on the print screen results in all pages coming out the same size, regardless of whether or not each page needs to be made smaller, often pages are made far too small to read unnecessarily. If you re-size each individual page you can spend 1/2 day printing out two or three workbooks. ...

Auto Execute Macro on Sheet
I have a very simple macro (to run a filter on non-blank cells) which I want to execute whenever a sheet is activated (ie the tab clicked on). The closest I have found is to save thr macro as Auto_Open, which will do it on opening the workbook, but I need to keep re-filtering as I move between sheets. Is there an easy way to do this?? Thanks, Pete Hi you could use the workbook event sheet_activate. see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pete" <peter.soper@cogent-dsn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:66c5916.0408180606.5638...

replace string file

Save a file name in Japanese
How can I save a spreadsheet with japanese characters. I get zip files from co-workers in Japan that contain file names with Japanese characters but of course when I save them the file names become corrupt. I have to open each workbook to see what it is. Thanks! Brian ...

Outlook 2000 auto exits
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2000 SP3 + Windows 2000, all patches applied. Either: 1) When I place the cursor in the "Find a Contact" search window on the menu bar, the cursor does not show and Outlook exits automatically. No error message. Or 2) Cursor shows. I can type a name, hit Return, get the search results and click on one of the names to open a contact card. The contact card will open, then a few (2-3) seconds later Outlook auto exits. I have closed all the .psts leaving only the default one open: no change. Some ideas would be appreciated, I can't find anything on the ...

PowerPoint 2007-Formatting Hyperlinks
How do you change the color of hyperlinks in 2007? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01CAC6B8.89E7EA80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Have a look here www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00546.htm=20 --=20 Michael Koerner MS MVP - PowerPoint "SueW" <SueW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:FBFA1989-C534-478C-B992-A27696F7DFC7@microsoft.com... > How do you change the color of hyperlinks in 2007? ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01CAC6B8.89E7EA80 Content-Ty...

anyone know where to set the transaction number format?
Hi, Deos anyone know where to set the transaction number format. I need to set the transaction number from 7 digit to 6 digit. regards Dennis Dennis, The Transaction number started with 1. Are you saying that you have used a million numbers already? SO Administrator | File | Connect | put in your password | Database | Set next Transaction Number -- * "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB499B32-9A24-4090-896E-DF0644467DCC@microsoft.com... Hi, Deos anyone know where to set the transaction number format. I need to set the transaction numb...

SQL databases are reporting to be slow , email is slow also
We have a fresh install on a new server. Everything is default setup. We are receiving comments of slow Outlook clients and email taking alot of time to be delivered. Also, are there optimizations that need to be run on the databases? Thanks. There is an "Optimisation" document that has been published by Microsoft - may help. Go to www.microsoft.com; select downloads and browse the list of downloads available for Microsoft CRM. Guy. "Scott Renfro" <Scott Renfro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97F2B33F-A2C8-4C6A-99E6-8C9DAE5AD08E@microsoft...

html format #2
Hello everyone For a mysterious reason, outlook 2002 stopped allowing me to create messages in html format altogether. If the option for new mail is set to html format, whenever I click on NEW....nothing happens regardless of the fact that word is or isn't chosen as the email editor....(reclicking 23 times doesn't help either). However, it opens the familiar new message screen if the option is set to either rtf or plain text. Any help will be greatly appreciated Vassilis ...

Auto Accept sending messages to Inbox of target user.
I am running Exchange 2000 with all service packs and updates. All users are updated also and running Windows 2000. I have set the Calendar options to Auto Accept and the permissions for the necessary users are "Editor". Yet when the first user is trying to Calendar an event for a second user, the second user gets an email stating that something was added to the Calendar. Is there any way to stop this? ...