Auto-Enter Data from One Sheet to Another

Help, please!  I have been literally tearing my hair out trying to figure out
how to get this to work for over 6 months now, and I am still coming up empty.

Here is what I have.

Column A     Column B
Supplier #    Supplier Name
xxxxxxxx       Nishikawa
xxxxxxxx       Johnson Controls
xxxxxxxx       Furukawa
xxxxxxxx       Honda Lock
xxxxxxxx       Takata Petri

Etc., etc. (there are approximately 1000 different supplier numbers with
corresponding supplier names).

This is on one worksheet.  In the same book, I have another worksheet that
has a form that requires data to be entered into it on a daily basis.  I have
cells that require the Supplier Number and Supplier Name be entered.  I wish
to set this sheet up so that as soon as I enter the Supplier Number in one
cell, the corresponding Supplier Name will be entered in the appropriate
cell.  I have this form copied many times on one sheet, as each set of cells
corresponds to a typed Incident Number, so I need this formula to work many
times on the same sheet, each time I enter the Supplier Number the
corresponding Supplier Name is entered in the appropriate cell.

This seems to me like something that should be fairly simple to do, but I
CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT!  Any assistance from you guys and gals would
be GREATLY appreciated!

I posted this question before but lost the thread, and I never received an
email stating a response was posted.  So if someone would reply to me via my
email which is clmallow at charter.net, I would be forever thankful.

-Christopher

In article <255F041D-EDCC-47C4-917B-3E6F62A0641C@microsoft.com>,
 "Christopher in Bellefontaine"
 <ChristopherinBellefontaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I posted this question before but lost the thread, and I never received an
> email stating a response was posted.  So if someone would reply to me via my
> email which is clmallow at charter.net, I would be forever thankful.

That's not the way newsgroups work...

See

    http://cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/24/2005 2:15:57 AM
In the second sheet:

Assume you put the supplier number in C1:

    =VLOOKUP(C1,Sheet1!A:B,2, False)

In article <255F041D-EDCC-47C4-917B-3E6F62A0641C@microsoft.com>,
 "Christopher in Bellefontaine"
 <ChristopherinBellefontaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Help, please!  I have been literally tearing my hair out trying to figure out
> how to get this to work for over 6 months now, and I am still coming up empty.
>
> Here is what I have.
>
> Column A     Column B
> Supplier #    Supplier Name
> xxxxxxxx       Nishikawa
> xxxxxxxx       Johnson Controls
> xxxxxxxx       Furukawa
> xxxxxxxx       Honda Lock
> xxxxxxxx       Takata Petri
>
> Etc., etc. (there are approximately 1000 different supplier numbers with
> corresponding supplier names).
>
> This is on one worksheet.  In the same book, I have another worksheet that
> has a form that requires data to be entered into it on a daily basis.  I have
> cells that require the Supplier Number and Supplier Name be entered.  I wish
> to set this sheet up so that as soon as I enter the Supplier Number in one
> cell, the corresponding Supplier Name will be entered in the appropriate
> cell.  I have this form copied many times on one sheet, as each set of cells
> corresponds to a typed Incident Number, so I need this formula to work many
> times on the same sheet, each time I enter the Supplier Number the
> corresponding Supplier Name is entered in the appropriate cell.
>
> This seems to me like something that should be fairly simple to do, but I
> CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT!  Any assistance from you guys and gals would
> be GREATLY appreciated!
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/24/2005 2:17:14 AM
Sorry, I read the rules and stuff AFTER I posted my second attempt at getting
help with this, it was not that I was ignoring any caveats or anything.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> In article <255F041D-EDCC-47C4-917B-3E6F62A0641C@microsoft.com>,
>  "Christopher in Bellefontaine"
>  <ChristopherinBellefontaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I posted this question before but lost the thread, and I never received an
> > email stating a response was posted.  So if someone would reply to me via my
> > email which is clmallow at charter.net, I would be forever thankful.
>
> That's not the way newsgroups work...
>
> See
>
>     http://cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

Okay.  This didn't work for me at all for some reason.

I am rather ignorant when it comes to entering a formula that is more than
basic math computations or cell references within the same worksheet.

What is the "2" for in the formula?

Okay, maybe if I asked the question better, that would help.

Worksheet 1 is called "Suppliers" and Column A has the Supplier Number and
Column B has the Supplier Name.

Worksheet 2 is called "Master IPS Damage Log" and the Supplier Number (some
Supplier Numbers start with a "0" so I had to format the cell as Text so the
zeros would show in the cell and not eliminate them) is entered in numerous
locations throughout the sheet.  Each page on the sheet has approximately 9
or 10 "forms" on it, one for each Incident Number.  For example, Incident #
042205I400 has a set of cells for related data entry, and the first form has
the Supplier Number entered in cell G8, for which I need the Supplier Name to
be automatically entered into cell B10 based on the columns in the
"Suppliers" worksheet.

The next Incident # 042205I401 would have the Supplier Number entered into
cell G13, for which the Supplier Name would need to automatically be entered
into cell B15, and so on and so forth for the rest of the proceeding Incident
Numbers and pages on the worksheet.

So based on this information, could you tell me the exact text for the
formula I would need to type into cells B10, B15, B20, etc., on the Master
IPS Damage Log" worksheet to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for your help...

-Christopher

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> In the second sheet:
>
> Assume you put the supplier number in C1:
>
>     =VLOOKUP(C1,Sheet1!A:B,2, False)
>

> In article <255F041D-EDCC-47C4-917B-3E6F62A0641C@microsoft.com>,
>  "Christopher in Bellefontaine"
>  <ChristopherinBellefontaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Help, please!  I have been literally tearing my hair out trying to figure out
> > how to get this to work for over 6 months now, and I am still coming up empty.
> >
> > Here is what I have.
> >
> > Column A     Column B
> > Supplier #    Supplier Name
> > xxxxxxxx       Nishikawa
> > xxxxxxxx       Johnson Controls
> > xxxxxxxx       Furukawa
> > xxxxxxxx       Honda Lock
> > xxxxxxxx       Takata Petri
> >
> > Etc., etc. (there are approximately 1000 different supplier numbers with
> > corresponding supplier names).
> >
> > This is on one worksheet.  In the same book, I have another worksheet that
> > has a form that requires data to be entered into it on a daily basis.  I have
> > cells that require the Supplier Number and Supplier Name be entered.  I wish
> > to set this sheet up so that as soon as I enter the Supplier Number in one
> > cell, the corresponding Supplier Name will be entered in the appropriate
> > cell.  I have this form copied many times on one sheet, as each set of cells
> > corresponds to a typed Incident Number, so I need this formula to work many
> > times on the same sheet, each time I enter the Supplier Number the
> > corresponding Supplier Name is entered in the appropriate cell.
> >
> > This seems to me like something that should be fairly simple to do, but I
> > CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT!  Any assistance from you guys and gals would
> > be GREATLY appreciated!

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

Error message needed if incorrect Date Of Birth (DOB) entered
Hi, In cell D6 I have a DOB entered....in cell E6 I have a datedif function that has 3 conditional formatting set as: 1 - If D6 is blank, E6 is blank. 2 - If DOB in D6 is between 18 - 24 then E6 shows age and cell is yellow. 3 - If DOB in D6 is 25 or over then E6 shows age and cell is blue. What I need is when a DOB is entered in D6 under 16 years old, then D6 returns an error message -" You have Entered an Age under 16 Years - Retry!! ". I have tried Data Validation, but cant get a message from tha as I dont know what to set as the date validation. I do need a...

Auto fill and drop down lists
The fields are Rank and Rank Sort (I cant do this alpabetically as a the ranks (Military) don't run in alphabetical order. The idea is this: The form (Pers Details Form) contains personal details Name, Number etc from the Pers Details Table. There will be box where I can select the rank from a dropdown list. The Rank details are contained in a seperate table (Rank Table) containing a Rank and Rank Sort column. In the Pers Details Form I can create a record, enter details but I want to have a drop down box to choose the rank from. Once chosen I would like the rank to show (but ...

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

Copy field data to multiple places

Pivot Tables & changing data
Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am going to ask is possible and not too complicated for me.... :o) I am working with Excel 2003. I have a pivot table already set up and the information is pulling data from a row titled "sum of Subscriber". I added new data in a new column from the main spreadsheet and I would like to pull the data from there. Its titled "Adj Subscriber". Is it possible to switch it? If so, how? Thanks, Anna Marie Anna wrote: > Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am &...

How to filter to show only one message from a specific sender/subject
I would like to filter out all but one email with the same subject line from a specific sender. I subscribe to a message board that sends an email every time a posting is made to a thread, instead of just the first posting after I have read the thread. Is there a way for filter out the duplicate messages and just keep the oldest email? Thanks, Brian ...

how to edit my x-axis data on a line graph
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel my x axis data on my graph is just showing numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.... and it is suppose to show the years. I can't figure out how to change these values ...

Excel sheet truncated after copying to powerpoint slide
Hi, We are using Office 2000 with sp3. When we copy excel sheet to power point slide, some of the rows and colums are truncated. Also the font size is changed. We can see only some part of the sheet. Let me know if anybody faced this problem.. Thanks in advance Shekar. Debra Dalgleish posted this link that you may want to review: http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00068.htm Microsoft wrote: > > Hi, > > We are using Office 2000 with sp3. When we copy excel sheet to power point > slide, some of the rows and colums are truncated. Also the font size is > changed. We can s...

Viewing an Excel sheet w/out all the empty fields...
How do you create a spreadsheet that only shows the fileds with data in them? -How do you get rid of all the empty rows/columns, to ease viewing for those who are easily confused by excel spreadsheets? (I don't know how else to emaplin my question... I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible...) Please help... Hi! >I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible... Just hide them! Suppose the last column in your sheet that contains data is column H. You can hide columns I:IV so that after column H all you ...

Data from Access query to Excel
To pull data from an Access 2003 database, I have created the queries in Access, then import into Excel. The problem is that all the numbers that are pulled into Excel are text and need to convert them into numbers to run formulas on. I have converted a few sheets by hand, but, some have will over 50,000 rows. Is there a function to select all number colums (the colums are the same through out the sheets) and convert? Thanks There are instructions here for converting text to numbers: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html You can select all the columns, and only the num...

How to delete duplicate data
Hi, I am using excel to consolidate monthly room booking data. I have a date column and time column. May I know how to to delete those rows which contains duplicate data with same date stated in the date columnand and same time range in the time column? Thank you. Data>filter>advanced filter, unique records only and copy to another location -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (Remove ^^ from email) "PL" <PL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F45DAE2B-252D-4E17-81D8-0F4C060BCB21@m...

Money plus Deluxe Where do I find Balance sheet and Profit and Los
I have Money Plus Deluxe ver 7.0120.1415 My new accountant asked me to print out the balance sheet (aka Assets, Liabilities, and Equity) and the Income statement (Profit and Loss) reports? Where do I find them? Does Money Plus Deluxe have them? In microsoft.public.money, bigwahoo wrote: >I have Money Plus Deluxe ver 7.0120.1415 My new accountant asked me to print >out the balance sheet (aka Assets, Liabilities, and Equity) and the Income >statement (Profit and Loss) reports? Where do I find them? Does Money Plus >Deluxe have them? Go to the Reports list, and look around. T...

Problem with printing listbox bigger than one page
Hi, I created form "Invoice". It contains few list boxes (like: Brand, Product, Price, etc.). Each list box is big enough to display 50 items. It works in this way: user is chosing product from table Products_tbl and clicks on "Add to invoice" button which adds to each list box new item containg apropriate information about chosen product. At the end, user can print the form. Before it was limited, and user could put max. 50 products on one invoice, but I wanted to get rid of this limitation. I did it in this way: after 50th item, with each added product I extend list boxe...

Compressed Outlined Data Copy
I need to copy only the data that is compressed in Grouped rows and not all the rows when they are expanded. When I copy and paste the compressed data, I get all the data that is within the group, and not just the compressed data. For example: I need just the following (which is compressed): Ship $ Line $5,278.00 CYP Total $133,122.00 TI Total $34,660,135.00 Vic Total $34,798,535.00 Grand Total when I copy it (D2:E17, but only showing 5 lines because of the compression), it pastes 16 lines: Ship $ Line $123.00 CYP $44.00 CYP $4,444.00 CYP $667.00 CYP $5,278.00 CYP Total $123,124.00 TI $...

Combine part of text from one col to another
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th text of another column. For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network. If col has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this: -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== =B1&LEFT(A1) "epac135 >" <...

inverting data #2
Please help, I'm stuck! I conducted a survey where respondants each gave answers to 30 questions using a Likert scale i.e. they answered either 1,2,3,4 or 5 to each question. The data is in the following form: Question # q1 q2 q3 q4 q5 1 2 4 2 1 2 2 4 1 2 1 4 3 4 4 2 1 4 4 2 3 2 2 5 5 2 3 4 5 3 My problem is that half of the questions were asked in a negative direction to avoid possible response bias. For the answers to these questions, I need to reverse the answers. If the repondant answered 1, I want to record 5, if 2 then 4, if 3 then 3, if 4 then 2, if 5 then 1. Is there an...

Importing One Period
Our company operates on a 13 period year instead of 12 months. However, the budget import process appears to be the same for periods or months. We would like to import a budget for just period 13. We tried leaving blanks in the period 1 - 12 accounts in excel and imported to a test company and that deleted all budgets, we also tried zeros, which did as we expected, inserted zeros. The budget file used to import existing budgets for periods 1 -12 has become corrupt and we do not have a backup for this file. In this file, we created formulas that allow us to use %'s to update ...

Auto-Complete stopped?
Hi, I am using Outlook on Win 2k. I started the computer today and somehow Outlook stopped automatically completing the addresses when I type them in. I looked at the "Contacts" sections, and it only has a few outdated entries, are these the data Outlook uses when completing? Is there anything that I might have done that had deleted the entries? And is there anyway to retrieve it? Thanks. What version of Outlook are you using? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, ...

=Sheet!A1 formula alternative
I have 2 sheets. Sheet 1 contains text data from A1:A200 but not in consecutive order (for example): Sheet1 A 1 textone 2 texttwo 3 4 textmisc 5 6 textother I need Sheet2!B1:B50 to grab all the data from Sheet1!A1:A200 and list them in the order that they were entered in Sheet1 as shown below: Sheet1 Sheet 2 A B 1 textone 1 textone 2 texttwo 2 texttwo 3 3 textmisc 4 textmisc ...

adding another user on same computer
Hi, I have made amew user on my computer so that the woman I live with=20 may use my computer without the danger of corrupting my files=20 accidentially. When we go to the dock on her side - and that is the side from which = I=20 am emailing you - there are two question marks where the icons for 'word = and excel would have been. How can I get this corrected? Just drag the question mark to the desktop and you will find them vanish. Next drag the Word and Excel programs to the dock and you will find it working properly. Anand P "poggi8@comcast.net" <anonymous@dis...

Retreiving data
We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" Can anyone help me -- Dambo On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 01:21:01 -0800, Damb0 <Damb0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following >message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" > >Can anyone help me What steps did you do to decommission the old server? If you give us an idea of the version of the old and new ones we can post the right help ...

Multiple recipients for one address
Total newbie question. I work for a company with a dedicated service department. I need for up to 5 people to be able to get a copy of a message that comes in to the address "servcie@ourdomain.com". I tried adding this address to each of the users, but I can't give one address to multiple users. I don't want to create a "Service" user and have them check that account. I just want the emails to be routed from the service@ address to each users' inbox. Total newbie, so detailed answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Create a mail-enabled Grou...

Help Required with Macro to Manipulate Data
I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported from a text file) A B C D 1 Branch Date Total 2 4501 030204 29 3 4 4501 030204 14 5 6 4502 030204 331 7 8 4502 030204 52 9 10 4503 030204 54 11 12 4503 030204 85 Hi Alay and what do you want to achieve :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Alan T >" <<Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported ...