Auto-adjust column width

Hi all

Is there a way to set a column width so that it auto-adjusts to the widest
entry in the column?  And what about the widest numerical entry, excluding
word-wrapped cells containing text?

I realise that I can double-click on the edge of the column header to
achieve most of the desired result passively, but this does not work if the
worksheet is protected.

Thanks

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

0
mind-the-gap (250)

Hi
depending on your Excel version you can allow formating columns in the
protection dialog. (I think starting with Excel 2002). In all other
cases no chance but to remove cell worksheet protection before
adjusting the column width

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Jack Schitt" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:iZKsc.1812$Dm2.306@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi all
>
> Is there a way to set a column width so that it auto-adjusts to the
widest
> entry in the column?  And what about the widest numerical entry,
excluding
> word-wrapped cells containing text?
>
> I realise that I can double-click on the edge of the column header to
> achieve most of the desired result passively, but this does not work
if the
> worksheet is protected.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/25/2004 9:27:17 PM
Thanks Frank

> Hi
> depending on your Excel version you can allow formating columns in the
> protection dialog. (I think starting with Excel 2002). In all other
> cases no chance but to remove cell worksheet protection before
> adjusting the column width
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "Jack Schitt" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:iZKsc.1812$Dm2.306@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > Hi all
> >
> > Is there a way to set a column width so that it auto-adjusts to the
> widest
> > entry in the column?  And what about the widest numerical entry,
> excluding
> > word-wrapped cells containing text?
> >
> > I realise that I can double-click on the edge of the column header to
> > achieve most of the desired result passively, but this does not work
> if the
> > worksheet is protected.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

0
mind-the-gap (250)

Auto Name in "from" field
We have two mailboxes, i want to be able to send a message from the secondary mailbox but have the sent item message in the secondary instead of the primary. I can do this if i have a rule set to pick up the name from the "from" field. The only problem is that i have to put in the name in the from field all the time. Is there any way for the from field to autodisplay the name instead of me having to type it in all the time? Thanks in advance Darren In the new mail window, there is a box named "Accounts" if you have more then one mail account. You just click on th...

Negative Number column
I am trying to make a column product negative numbers when I manually enter them in a spreadsheet. I am using a simple sum formula to add across rows (10 columns) and the first column should always be a negative number i.e credit and the rest positive. I am real new to excel so I must be doing something wrong. Assuming the 10 cols are A to J, maybe a simpler way would be to use something like .. In K1: =SUM(B1:J1)-A1 Or, in K1: =SUM(B1:J1,-A1) with K1 copied down Then you could just enter the credit numbers in the first column "as-is", w/o worrying about making these nega...

Creating a Formula to Format Column automatically? #4
Does it matter what order the conditions are in? Some of them worked some didn't -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovico's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1480 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26434 If you have 3 conditions, the order does not matter. What matters is the content of the cell. Not case-sensitive, but do you have any extra spaces if text? If looking for numbers, are they real numbers or text that looks like numbers? You used Joe Blow and...

Assign a Value to a Duplicate Entry Within the Same Column
Within a single worksheet I have thousand-plus rows of data and one of the columns within that worksheet I have a series of numbers. After I've identified the duplicates within that column I want to assign a value based on the first time that number shows up (in this case by I'v sorted by date), so the first duplicate would have a value like "1." I then want to assign the next duplicate(s) sequentially (2, 3, 4, etc.) When finished I would want a new column of data that would have far more "1s" than "2s," more "2s" than "3s,"...

getting info from array but not using column / row numbers
i need to get info from table: Dist / Age 12 13 14 15 100 1.4 2.0 3.0 4.0 200 1.3 2.1 3.1 4.2 300 1.5 2.2 3.2 4.4 400 1.6 2.3 3.4 3.4 So, if i needed to get data for a 14 year old where distance is 300, I need to search both row and column labels to get required row and column numbers in order to retrieve data - in this case 3.2 Any ideas? I can put absolute row and column numbers in, e.g. 3,3 but i need to search labels first based upon contents of another cells (in this case 14 and 300). Assistance greatfully rec...

Does anyone know to add a calendar drop down for all cells in a particular column?
Does anyone know to add a calendar drop down for all cells in a particular column? See this page mp http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "mp" <mikeplanting@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160771863.021378.240190@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know to add a calendar drop down for all cells in a > particular column? > Thanks Ron. That worked, but I would like the calendar to disappear after I click on a calendar day. Do you know how to do that? Thanks again. Ron de Bruin wrote: > See thi...

Column and line information in Word
I have my cursor in a Word document and want to see which column it's in and which line it's on. How do I view those details? In 2007, right-click over the Status Bar at the bottom of the Word window, and choose the options you wish to see, including Line Number and Column. Hope this helps DeanH "HS" wrote: > I have my cursor in a Word document and want to see which column it's in and > which line it's on. How do I view those details? ...

Name ranges and columns
I'm using MS Office Excel 2003. I'd like to be able to refer to a column by a name so that I could use 'Price'23 instead of C23 and so forth. I thought that I'd be able to do that by highlighting the column and then using Insert->Name->Define or similar (I can't figure out the difference between the Name->Create, Name->Define and Name->Label variations. In any case, none of them seem to allow the kind of construction I'd like. Do I have the syntax wrong in Price23 (for example ... how to separate column and row parts) or is the whole thing impo...

Hiding Columns In Excel
When I try to hide too many columns in Excell I get the following message and it won't let me hide the columns, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.". Is there a workaround? What am I doing wrong? The following MSKB article may help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=211769 Also, Dave Peterson recently posted this advice: '================ Someone with the same problem posted back that their comments were getting resized causing the trouble. Maybe enabling: Tools|Options|View|Comment and ...

hiding columns
Hi, I have a report that has 17 fields. Therefore, it has two pages when I print it off. Is there a way that I can squeeze the 17 fields in one page report? --------------- In Excel, we can hide or show columns when we need them or not. Can I hide/show the fields on report? Thanks Chi Reports in Access are based on queries (ideally), or on tables. If your report is based on a table with 17 fields, you are still not required to include all the fields/controls on your report. A preferable approach would be to create a query that only returns the fields/columns of data you need in you...

How do I rearrange (switch) the information in my columns to rows
Copy the data out of Publisher and into Excel. You can swap it out there with the Paste Special (transpose) command. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "larrey" <larrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35EA8C76-ACA3-44A8-9876-78AE787885B6@microsoft.com... > The dirty way in Publisher, high-light the table, format menu, table, cell properties tab, check *rotate text within AutoShape by 90 degrees* Rotate the entire table 90 degrees. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.m...

auto correct file
What (and where) is the file name that stores the auto correct entries? It has the extension .acl On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:57:03 -0700, "NickD" <NickD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What (and where) is the file name that stores the auto correct entries? ...

Column Graphs #2
I am having trouble with the scaling of my X axis (catagory axis) for a column chart that I have created. It is a series of numbers from 0 to 55. I need the graph to have a linear scale at the bottom and the columns to be distributed accordingly. Any suggestions? Thanks What data are you using for your X values? A column chart does not have a numerical axis. The axis is comprised of a set of labels, or placeholders. Do you need columns, or would another chart type do? Information on chart types and axis types: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CatVsValueAxis.html http://pu...

Marginal Abatement Cost
I want to create a marginal abatement cost (MAC) column chart in Excel 2003. The data I am using is sorted for cost ($/tonne/year). Then I have a marginal abatement (tonnes of CO2-e) and cumulative marginal abatement (also tonnes of CO2-e). On the x axis I will have cost. The y axis shall be marginal abatement, the width of the columns shall represent the marginal abatement, and their location on the axis will be determined by the cumulative marginal abatement. Since the data is sorted for cost, the chart shall show increasing cost with an increasing cumulative marginal abatement. ...

calculating subtotals for sequential blank cells in 1 column
if i had a column of data and i need to group/subtotal any cells containing zeros or isolated zeros, wat formula do i put in eg. 0 ) 1 ) 0 ) 0 ) subtotal = 4 (so i know it was a group of four cells) 4 5 1 6 5 0 ) 1 ) 0 ) subtotal = 3 6 7 8 0 ) subtotal = 1 basically the data shows steps and rests, and we need to know how long the rest periods are. single steps surrounded by rest (0) need to be counted as rest intervals. Here is one way. Assuming your data starts in A1... In B1 enter =--(A1=0) In B2 enter =IF(A2=0,B1+1,IF(AND(A1=0,A3=...

Renaming columns #2
I'd like to rename the A B C D at the top to the name of my columns, o at least leave the column headings at the top of my screen. Does anyone know how -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Tools>Options>View, uncheck "Row and column headers". You can insert a row and a column with your own names, but they will not be recognized in formulas the same way as "A1". But you can define row and column names and use the intersection as an address in a formula. The intersection operator is a space. So if you defined the name "Material" for column ...

Macro to find the first cell in a column with different data
Hello, I really could use some of your expert and excellent help with a problem I am having in creating a macro to perform a search in "Column A" to locate a change in the data in that column and then move one column to the right and one row down and type "1" in that cell. I really appreciate your help, and Have a Blessed Holiday Season. Perhaps this might also do it here .. Assuming data is in A1 down, of the structure as below: 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 etc Put in B2: =IF(A2<>A1,1,"") Copy down Kill the formulas in col B with an in-place: Copy > Paste spe...

hiding columns, error message says cannot shift objects off sheet
Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'. WHat does this mean and how do I work around it? Thanks! hi, excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column IV or below row 65536. solution. highlight all the column to the right of your data and hit the delete key. that should fix it. >-----Original Message----- >Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message >says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet&...

"smtp address has changed" auto answer
Hi, colleagues, Is there any way to create an SMTP agent or daemon in v 5.5 SP3 which will recognize the recipient of message and tell back a reply saying "Your message has not been delievered. The email address xxxx@company.com is no longer valid. Please use new address yyyy@cc.comp.com instead" There is a text ini-file of all the addresses which are not valid in a plain format: [Not_valid_addresses] xxxx@company.com=yyyy@cc.comp.com xxxx2@company.com=yyyy2@cc.comp.com xxxx3@company.com=yyyy3@cc.comp.com Thanks, Mary ...

What is the limit size for columns in Excel???
Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that columns have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to increase the column number??? No. On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:49:02 -0800, "Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that columns >have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to >increase the column number??? Melissa, A sheet is limited to 256 columns. As far as I know there is no way to get around ...

Auto Starting Excel
Hi Does anyone know if there is a way to have Excel open at a certain time (e.g 0900) and have it open a Macro to run. I have files which are auto loaded to a shared area but need to run the Macro's on them, I cant leave my PC on 24/7 but would like the Excel document to auto-open and run the Macro on a server. Can any one assist? Thanks Drew Use Windows Task Scheduler to start Excel with a shortcut to the workbook in question. Run the macro from a Workbook_Open event in the workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 1 May 2007 08:07:02 -0700, Drew1707 <Drew1707@discussions...

Adjust scales automatically
Hi, How can I arrange it so that the x and y axis scales automatically adjust to different data within the same series? Eg say I make a chart that has the x axis (A1:A10) going from 1 to ten. If I paste in an x axis range going from 100 to 1000 how can i get the scale to adjust automatically? Thanks for help, N Jon Peltier has instructions for linking the axis scale to formulas on a worksheet: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Nicole wrote: > How can I arrange it so that the x and y axis scales > automatically adjust to different data within t...

Auto play 06-15-10
How can I stop the PC from starting to auto play a movie disk in when I insert it? I was getting a menu with different choices. Thank you "Mike Givens" <micell@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:6677560C-DD38-49D6-BCE3-78AF2D210BA2@microsoft.com... > How can I stop the PC from starting to auto play a movie disk in when > I insert it? I was getting a menu with different choices. > Thank you Auto Play set up is a control panel item under 'Hardware and Sound'. I think 'ask me' produces the menu. Tom ...

Can one adjust Format Row Autofit to ensure WYSIWYG when printing
Does anyone know if you can adjust Format Rows Autofit to ensure WYSIWYG when printing. I am continually frustrated that when I print after using the autofit function that I get text cut in half and underlines missing. Autofit does not seem to work properly. Can it be set to slightly overcompensate perhaps? Hi Gray, this problem only happens when you're working in a zoo different from 100%; so if you're working with 115% and autofit th rows they won't show up properly when you print (they will be cutted) Also there is a problem you have to consider is when you use Bold o...

sort column by last digit
Lets say I have a column like: 12435G 19995 188884G 188465 277745 etc etc etc ...and I want to sort it so that the ones that end with the letter G are isolated. Is there a way to do this? -- Kepf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kepf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30611 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502969 In a helper column, add =IF(RIGHT(A1)="G","G","") then sort by the helper column. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from...