Any way to get around the 240-character line limit on text output?

I'm trying to save an Excel file into a fixed-length file for import into a
mainframe and the biggest problem (as pointed out in another post on this
board) is that there is a limit of 240 characters per line. This causes the
rest of each line to be placed at the end of the file. My record layout
length is around 300 and we're talking about 50,000 records.

How can I get around the 240 character limit to save this file in an
acceptable format? Otherwise it will take hours of work to get the file in
the proper format.
0
awp1 (2)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131554

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"awp" <awp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I'm trying to save an Excel file into a fixed-length file for import into
| mainframe and the biggest problem (as pointed out in another post on this
| board) is that there is a limit of 240 characters per line. This causes
the
| rest of each line to be placed at the end of the file. My record layout
| length is around 300 and we're talking about 50,000 records.
|
| How can I get around the 240 character limit to save this file in an
| acceptable format? Otherwise it will take hours of work to get the file in
| the proper format.

0
jrrech (1932)
12/14/2004 8:50:23 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately, the code in the support documentation gives me a run
time error "Invalid procedure call or argument" when I run the macro in
Excel. Since I'm not a VB programmer, I don't really see what the problem is
either.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131554
>
> --
> Jim Rech
> Excel MVP
> "awp" <awp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I'm trying to save an Excel file into a fixed-length file for import into
> | mainframe and the biggest problem (as pointed out in another post on this
> | board) is that there is a limit of 240 characters per line. This causes
> the
> | rest of each line to be placed at the end of the file. My record layout
> | length is around 300 and we're talking about 50,000 records.
> |
> | How can I get around the 240 character limit to save this file in an
> | acceptable format? Otherwise it will take hours of work to get the file in
> | the proper format.

0
awp1 (2)
12/14/2004 9:23:01 PM
I copied and pasted those two procedures into a general module and then went
back to my worksheet and tried it.

It worked fine.

Maybe you did something in the copy|paste portion.

You may want to try Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly:  http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

It has lots of options built in and since it comes as a workbook, there'd be
less work for you to do.

--

Dave Peterson
0

All my Reminders are gone? Is there a way to get them back?
All my Reminders are gone? Is there a way to get them back? Some backup folder or something? I am sharing this computer, so I don't really know what happened. Thanks Did someone turn the Reminder option off? If so, you can turn it back on for future reminders but past due reminders are dismissed forever. Look in Tools, Options, Other, Advanced, Reminder options - you need display the reminder checked. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: ...

change the text in the legend of a chart w/o changing pivot text
I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer, rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.) If I want to look at the age of new homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer. After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer 18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc. It's pretty self-explanatory that these are all "new homebuyers". I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown in the legend, but I can...

Text Form Fields
Not sure if I have posted this in the right area, but here goes. I am more familiar with excel so working with forms in word is new to me. I have been tasked with developing a number of forms at work in Word 2003 for posting on our website. A guy who left, and is now not contactable, developed a whole range of forms before he left. He made sure the forms could be filled in online by inserting text editable fields for client use (both the 'greyed out' section and dotted lines can be seen when viewing and completing online and the dotted lines auto-delete as text is inserte...

Deleting Sales Receipts
I need to reduce my db size... Many have posted about the Retail Realms archiving utility. This sounds like a great app, but since I'm somewhat familiar with the db schema in RMS and know SQL, I would like to attempt it on my own. Has anyone tried removing sales history through SQL? What tables should be cleared, does anyone have a script that they use? I understand that a backup should be made prior to any changes :) Paul Paul, To see what tables are taking up all the space run this query: ------------------------- SELECT [total size KB], B.rows, O.name FROM (select sum(convert(de...

Conditional Formatting of Text...
....I know how to apply Conditional Formatting to cells containing numeric data; is it possible to apply it to cells where the result is textual? For example: =if(a1>=5000,"High","Low") In this instance, I would want to conditionally format this cell so that if the result is High, then the text should be bold and red. Thanks in advance. I'm using Excel 2002... Hi click on the cell choose format / conditional formatting choose cell value is equal to ="high" click the format button set your formatting click OK twice Regards JulieD "Birmangirl&quo...

How to get info filled in automatically
I make a roster for my work with multiple items for each person. An example of what I am looking to do: In cell A1, I have a drop down menu with all employee's names. Cell B1 is for their ID number and cell C1 is for their radio ID #. I wanted to see if their was a way for when I select a name in the drop down menu of A1 for B1 and C1 to automatically fill with that employees' respective ID numbers? Hi Let's say you have a list of employees with their relevant numbers on Sheet2 in cells A2:Cxxx With your dropdown list in cell A2 of Sheet1, enter the followin...

i need to have more text options in a running writting font
I have to format a logo from a hand written sign. The text "Script MT Bold" is quite acceptable but the 'f' needs to have a loop on the bottom not on the top. The dot above the 'i' needs to be round not square. Is there any way I can develop the text that I need or change the actual letters? I have done the work in 2003 Publisher. I use Brush Script MT and the letters are properly portrayed. The loop for the "f" is on the bottom and the dot over the "i" looks rounds. If I can be of help, send me a note to: dschmidt AT pacifier DOT com -...

text to fit in cell
How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able to print the page with all of the words in the cell even if it has to make the cell larger, without going over into the next cell. How do I do this? Hi goto 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'Wrap text' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany DaveB wrote: > How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able > to print the page with all of the words in the cell even > if it has to make the cell larger, without going over > into the next cell. How do I do this? Dave Format>Cells>Alignm...

Filtering out text with conditional formatting
hi there, I have a problem I need help with. I have a worksheet that has column with 13 digit long number in it. I want a formula (or is it conditional formatting) that will highligh the cell if the last 5 digits of the number are not �00000� The number is in text format and needs to stay that way� so I wa thinking there could be come way to examine the text .. I dunno� an ideas greatly appreciated� thanks -- bluebea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluebean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2595 View th...

Winmail.Dat Being Created On Plain Text Emails
I am running Outlook 2003 with all the updates and I am having a winmail.dat file created on every email that I send even the ones in Plain Text. Are there other settings that I need to make in Outlook to stop this from happening? Thanks. Rick Bellefond RB Data Services www.rbdata.com Try turning off Word as your e-mail editor to see if it stops. (See Tool > Options > Mail Format tab) If Word is off, go to Tools > Options > Mail Format tab > Internet Options. Make sure the dropdown in the middle of the dialog is not set to Outlook Rich Text. Check the e-mail address...

can't copy text to new pub document
I am trying to copy entire pages from one Publisher 2007 doc to another. It will copy the text in some text boxes but not in others. I don't understand why this is happening. How do I get it to copy the entire page as is? I am using Ctrl A or Select All. Thank you. Oh, another thing to add: Even if I select only a single text box, it will not copy any text. "lindalou" wrote: > I am trying to copy entire pages from one Publisher 2007 doc to another. It > will copy the text in some text boxes but not in others. I don't understand > why this is happening. How d...

Runtime Error LIne 297
I just set up a brand new Dell computer with Outlook 2003 as the mail program. Everytime the user opens the mailbox, she gets the following error: A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to debug? Line 297 The debug opens, but I don't know what to do with it after that. Has anyone else worked through this? Any suggestions? ...

How to get rid of the gridline? #2
cool! thanks man -- slam ----------------------------------------------------------------------- slamm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1501 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26636 ...

updates wont install get error message 643 & 636
how do I install them stella wrote: > how do I install them Which updates (listed by KB######)? What Operating System? What Service Pack level is your Operating System? What architecture is your Operating System (32-bit or 64-bit?) What antivirus software do you utilize? What firewall software do you utilize? What antispyware software do you utilize? What is your backup plan like (backups of your important data to external media)? What have you tried in order to resolve your issue so far? -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://...

Exchange Public folder Limits Problem
i have a public folder that has limits set on it...I ncreased those limits, but i'm still getting an error...How can i set the limits for email size and force the updates.. Is there anyway i can tell the public folder has the changes applied? thanks, michael ...

getting updated info from pivot tables
Hi everyone, I created a pivot table with months as column and sum of clients an sum of members as rows. I take the last month and Grand total number to another table I use for reporting. Is there a formula that I ca use to tell the table to get the last month (grand total - 1) and gran total numbers so when I update the pivot I dont have to change the othe table all the time. Thanks for the help, Marco -- marksuz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- marksuza's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=265 View this ...

combination stacked column and line data
Help. I've been asked to create a chart that has two sets of data that are stacked (columns) and 5 sets of data that display in line format. Is this an option in Excel. I can do a columan and a line but can't seem to add more than that. I'm using Excel 97 (but have access to Excel 2003). Please and thanks. Don't spend a lot of time looking for every last permutation in the "built in custom" chart types. What you probably want isn't there, but it's easy to roll your own type. Make a chart with all data plotted in one format (probably line, so you ha...

I have accidently hidden all my drwing, text boxes, etc
I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How do i get them back? Thank you, Tonso On Jun 20, 10:32 am, Billy <wthoma...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see > them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I > might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How > do i get them back? > > Thank you, > >...

Getting duplicate records, can't figure out why!
I'm creating a database to track inventory movements for reserve calculation purposes. I start out with two tables, Inv Mov and Inv Bal. From Inv Mov, I create a Query "Initial Movements" as a filter. When I run this query, all looks good. I create a new query, "Transaction Summary" that joins fields "P/N" from table "Inv Bal" and Query "Initial Movements". When I run this second query, every record is duplicated. I can't figure out why, and I'm trying to eliminate this. Here's the SQL: SELECT [Inv Bal Eco].[P/N], ...

Changing the way the home page looks in M07
Hi, I got a new widescreen monitor for Christmas. Is there a way within Money 07 to change the home page layout to allow more than two columns of customized items? Also - off topic - since Road Runner no longer supports news readers, does anyone have a suggestion on how to pick one which offer good value at low or no cost? Mark "Mark Fields" <mark_no_spam_f@siscom.net> wrote in message news:OlUFFK3ZJHA.6036@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I got a new widescreen monitor for Christmas. > > Is there a way within Money 07 to change the home page layout...

I have cox cable no phone line, And Eatel Phones
I would love to have outlook express but I only have cox cable and Eatel phone line so there is no way to get it if so please let me know. Barbara Alexie <Barbara Alexie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would love to have outlook express but I only have cox cable and > Eatel phone line so there is no way to get it if so please let me > know. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. OE will work fine with Cox cable. -- Brian Tillman ...

adding lines of code to a macro to delete rows
Hello: As the last step of a macro that I have written, I need all rows at the end of this spreadsheet to be deleted. (The rows at the end of the spreadsheet have bogus data, and I need to get rid of all of those rows and leave just rows of "real" data--long story short.) Specifically, the row after the last row of "real" data is a cell in column A that simply contains the word "Grand". How do I put in code at the end that says "delete all rows at the end of this spreadsheet beginning with this last row that contains just the word 'G...

Getting total sales by customer
Hi, I need to find the total sales for a customer, I have tried the Group by function but it just groups the company name in ascending order. My fields are: Client_Name, Rep, InvoicePeriod, InvoiceYear, Total I will also need to group by Invoice Period in relevant year. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance. Charlotte You can't group by customer since you don't list a customer field. -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47F4A6AC-2594-4A59-BB4E-1090A20B424C@microsoft....

date is in 20010129 format, how can I get it in m/d/y format
-- jsanders Data>text to column, go to step three and select date and YMD and for future posts it's considered rude just using the subject line Regards, Peo Sjoblom With the value 20010129 in cell A1, enter this formula in B1: =DATEVALUE(MID(A1,5,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A1,2)&"/"&LEFT(A1,4)) and the format the cell as a date. The various functions parse the 20010129 string into its components, and the DATEVALUE converts that string to a datevalue that Excel can recognize. ...

Losing last zero while formating numbers to text
Ok, the situation is following .. i have text in csv format(comm delimited) ... (for example in cell A1 I have following text string 1.3456,1.5467,1.3559), and i need to change some number values include in this text. I extracted these numbers from text with mid() function converted to numbers format, and then made my changes. Now number look like 1.345(A1 cell), 1.5461(A2), 1.3553(A3).Then I need to conver these numbers back to the text and merge them in one text string an save as CSV FORMAT. The problem is when i try to convert for exampl number 1.345 to the text it converts like 1.345, bu...