Allowing different users access to different worksheets

I am setting up a shared document to which 27 different users need access.
Each user will have their own tab which they can edit. I would like to
restrict what each user can see. The content is not top-secret so it doesn't
matter if it's easy to crack.
In an ideal situation I'd like that when the user opens the file that it
asks for a password. The password would open access to whatever tab the
password applied to. There would have to be an overall password which allows
visibility to all.
I'd prefer if users could only see their own sheet.
If it makes a difference the 27 users are accessing from fixed sites in a
network so the file could restrict access based on network location. (The
admin would access from anywhere).

Can this be done? I'd like to set up a template for this can be be used for
different purposes. any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Do you mean Shared in the excel technical sense?  (Tools|Share workbook in
xl2003 menus).

If you do, then you may want to consider all the features that are unavailable
in shared workbooks.

On top of that, lots of people have posted problems with shared workbooks --
especially corruption.  Personally, I'd stay away from using shared workbooks.

On the other hand, if you meant that the workbook would be kept on a common
network share and lots of people would have access, then you're going to find
that some users will want to have access to the file when someone else has it in
use (and walked away from their pc!).

So...

If you have to support users who need simultaneous access, I'd stay away from
excel and use a different  application -- one made for this kind of thing -- a
real database like Access(??).

If you need to use excel, I would create 27 different workbooks (single sheet
each) and combine them when I needed to make summary reports.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Removing multiple users from Outlook

open two different Access reports

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

compact database in VBA access 2007

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Mailboxsize is different
hi! i've got a crazy problem. when you look at the mailboxes in the exchange system manager, then you see, e.g. user xy with 220 mb mailboxsize. but when you look at the outlook, then the mailbox size is only 150 mb. but there are no filters or something else activated. and the problem is on the local outlook and on the terminalserver outlook. i hope someone has a solution about my problem. thanks. stefan ...

LDAP Write access?

MS Access 2007 code not running

Re-enabled user account cannot log in
In trying to troubleshoot and issue in CRM where I had multiple user accounts for a single ADUC user, I tried disabling and re-enabling a user's account. But even after re-enabling the account the user cannot log in now. The error message says that it is disallowed when he tries to browse to the CRM server. Please help, I need to get this user account working again asap. Joel ...

If a worksheet name is = to test then a msgbox appears
I'm looking for a macro that will display a msgbox if a worksheet is = to test. For example, if the name of a sheet in a workbook is equal to test then display msgbox saying sheet already exists. Thanks Vick dim ws as worksheet set ws = nothing on error resume next set ws = worksheets("test") on error goto 0 if ws is nothing then msgbox "doesn't exist" else msgbox "already exists" end if Vick wrote: > > I'm looking for a macro that will display a msgbox if a worksheet is = to test. > > For example, if the name of a sheet in a w...

Can't use openURL or access internet on some locations
I have previously raised a question where openUrl threw an exception in a specific office location. However the problem I have now is that the application just freeze when I call openURL. It seems as it is waiting for something. This only happens at one company so far the company does have a proxy but so do I at work and I have no problems. I have also tried the Microsoft TEAR sample and it behaves the exact same way, it says "Opening internet...Connection made" and then it just stops. If I run it on my computer it gets the webpage and everything finishes ok. I have tried to set t...

difference between 2 lines in a scatter chart
I have created a scatter chart with two lines. The x axis is divided up into 10 parts and labeled 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. What I want to do is calculate the distance between the two lines between the x values of 40 and 60. Does anyone know how to to that? Thank you in advance. -- prd02003 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25762 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391727 How did you generate the lines? Are they from the data directly...

Multipule Worksheets
How do you set Excel 2002 to open all spreadsheets into one document instead of having multipule documents open up across your toolbar? ...

OWA user can only see subject
Hello friends, OWA users are unable to see their mail. Only Subject field is visible, without mail contents(No message is visible). Our outlook is working fine. Any ideas why this is happening and how we can solve this. Regards Guri ...