All spreadsheets keep hiding first few columns

I have a load of excel spreadsheets. They used to open fine.

Now, whenever I open any of the them they always hide the first fe
columns and I have to unhide them.

Any idea why?

I am using a mac powerbook and office '98.

Cheers

Jame

Two possiblities that I can think of:

1) You have an Auto_Open or Workbook_Open macro in your workbooks that
hide the columns. Unlikely since you have many of them.

2) You saved the workbooks as a workspace in which the columns are
hidden.

If neither of these are the problem, feel free to send one of them to me
and I'll take a look. Please stuff the file so that it gets past my
filters.

In article <jamesf4218.126gnc@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 jamesf4218 <<jamesf4218.126gnc@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

> I have a load of excel spreadsheets. They used to open fine.
>
> Now, whenever I open any of the them they always hide the first few
> columns and I have to unhide them.
>
> Any idea why?
>
> I am using a mac powerbook and office '98.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

GUID Columns in SQL 2005
Are there additional things you need to do when backing up and/or restoring databases which have tables containing guid/uniqueidentifier columns? Thanks in advance Please, ignore this question. "RG" wrote: > Are there additional things you need to do when backing up and/or restoring > databases which have tables containing guid/uniqueidentifier columns? > > Thanks in advance ...

Keeping my eye on the troll "andy t"
Hmm, Andy is right, we both had trouble with the email address of that Typing Test website. I managed to struggle along at a puny 836 wpm according to that website, with accuracy of 100% of course - - - results posted there under my name of Mark Conrad. This points up what I have said all along, one can not rely on a "typing test" to show accurate "wpm" speed when it comes to Speech Recognition. Mark- This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01CAAE64.66F31610 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="...

How to view Address Book names as Last, First?
In OL 2002, how do we set theAddress Book to display names in Last, First order? To clarify: When addressing email by clicking "To," I want the names in the address book to display in the order of Last, First. How do I change it from its default setting of First, Last? This problem comes up every time I have to reinstall OL. I've tried typing in every conceivable, intuitive combination of words in the HELP, but can't find anything about the question. So, in addition to knowing the answer, I'd also like to know where someone can find the answer to the quest...

Change Columns to Letters
I want to run a CountIf statement E.g =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"General queries") However, on the columns there are no letters, only numbers. So both the rows and the colums have letters. Does anyone know how i can change the columns from numbers to letters. Thanks for helping Dave -- David494 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ David494's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24482 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391226 If anyone still knows how to do this then can you...

Using an equation to count non-duplicated items in column
I have a list of trailers in a sheet that are designated as T-####. Is there a way to count the number of non-duplicated entries in this column by using a formula? Thanks for any assistance, Please respond to hers2keep @ yahoo . com. Thanks, carla carla Try Chip Pearson's site........ http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique BTW. The customary response is to the News Group, not email. That way we all learn. Gord Dibben Excel MVP XL2002 On 28 Aug 2003 14:30:58 -0700, cbr@saturnsea.com (carla) wrote: >I have a list of trailers in a sheet that are designated as...

inserting more than one column
What would the VBA code be to insert 6 columns to the left of Col A? I recorded a macro but I know there has to be a quick line of code that will do the same things rather than 10 lines of code from the macro recorder. Thank you. Hi Columns("A:F").Insert Shift:=xlToRight -- Regards Roger Govier "SITCFanTN" <SITCFanTN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD9FA6CB-C861-4BCB-93C9-E98232636594@microsoft.com... > What would the VBA code be to insert 6 columns to the left of Col A? I > recorded a macro but I know there has to be...

Can the preset numbers in the column be changed?
I am trying to do a sign in sheet and would like horizontally at the top name, address etc, and name is in A1, address is in B1 etc. for example. Is there a way to make it so the numbering will reflect how many people sign in without adding a column with numbering? Thanks in advance. Teresa "=?Utf-8?B?c2hld2FoeWE=?=" <shewahya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:177A3969-6C4A-4633-BA49-32449EBBCABE@microsoft.com: > I am trying to do a sign in sheet and would like horizontally at the > top name, address etc, and name is in A1, address is in B1 etc. for >...

Switching rows and columns
I am quite sure, in a long forgotten history, Lotus 1-2-3 had an option allowing one to switch column contents to rows and vice versa. I must be looking for the wrong keywords in help and google, can someone tell me how to swap rows and columns in excel? Alternatively, same question for OpenOffice Calc, which I also work with... THANKS! Sh. I don't use OO. But in Excel, you can select your range to transpose. then Edit|Copy Then select the top left cell of the new range edit|Paste special|check Transpose and then ok. You'll have to make sure that there is no overlap between the two...

Total a column from sheet 2 based on value in sheet 1
Col B Col C Col F Mary Team 1 $331.00 George Team 1 $222.00 Sam Team 2 $186.00 Tom Team 2 $100.00 Above is an example of my data on Sheet 2. On Sheet 1, I want to total all the total funds raised per Team shown on Sheet 2. I am trying to create a summary of what each team raised. I tried using the formula: =SUM(('sheet 2'!F2:F482=Sheet1!B2)) and I get just a dash in my total col. Can anyone provide some help? Thanks Look in HELP for the SUMIF() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Nee...

Windows activation message keeps coming up
Hi, A bit of advice really, I have not added or taken away anything on my system but since yesterday each time I start the PC I get the message saying I need to activate Windows. I am running Windows XP home. I don't know if this is a genuine message or if I have had some virus at some time, I have run scans for virus and malware and such but nothing found. Any help much appreciated. Gerald Interesting reading. <http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm> Phone activation is used to get a local phone number to call and get Vista activated by phone. For more informati...

Additional Mailbox setting keeps disappearing
I have a client that keeps losing the additional mailbox setting for their shared fax mailbox from her outlook configuration. The Exchange server is an SBS 2000 Server and the Client is Outlook 2000. The CLinet OS is Windows XP Professional When does it get lost? Steps to reproduce? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b7bd01c4689f$058c0e10$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have a client t...

Reseting the last row/column
Hello all, I have a spreadsheet of data, lets say 35,000 rows long. So when I do a [Ctrl] + [End], it goes to the cell at row 35,000 (and the last column of the data). Now lets say that I run a macro that deletes 5,000 rows. So now the last row is 30,000. But if I do a [Ctrl] + [End] again, it still goes to row 35,000. Is there any way to reset the spread sheet so it knows that the last row/column of data has changed since row/column deletions? Thanks for any help anyone can provide, Conan Kelly Here is an article from Msft on the topic: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2444...

Colors in the Spreadsheet
I have a Sony notebook, and when I use Excel I cannot see the colors on the screen. They are there, however, and they print out fine and I can see them in print preview, just not when I am working in the sheet itself. How do I get the screen to display the colors while I am working in the spreadsheet? Thank you!!! See: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Hope this helps Rowan Wardrober wrote: > I have a Sony notebook, and when I use Excel I cannot see the colors on the > screen. They are there, however, and they print out fine and I can see them > in print preview, ...

Hide sheet tabs?
Is there any way to hide sheet tabs? Thanks. Botman, Tools - Options - View. Sheet tabs. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- <robotman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162593984.726539.223400@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way to hide sheet tabs? > > Thanks. > Tools | Options | View uncheck "Sheet tabs" <robotman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162593984.726539.223400@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way to hide sheet tabs? > > Thank...

Matching data in columns
I hope somebody can help me. I have a list in column C of 13000 names with a reference number against each of them in column D. The reference numbers are between 1 and 760 and each of the 13,000 names in column C has one of the 760 numbers against it in column D. In column F, I have the list of 760 numbers with text for each of these numbers in column G. I need to correctly insert the text for all these 760 names against my main list of 13,000 names. To try to explain it I want to: If number in any cell in column D equals the same number in any cell column F, then paste the text in...

Locking and Hiding Columns
I have a spreadsheet that I need to share without the user being able to unhide certain columns yet still have the ability to enter data in the other fields. Any suggestions? Thanks -- JerryS Have you tried Locking all the the cells except those cells you want to allow user input, then hide the columns and protect the sheet with a password? Rob "JerryS" <JerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70FA2D38-3FBB-4B39-BF30-CC294BF05B29@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet that I need to share without the user being able to > unhide certain columns yet ...

How do add columns showing dob and years to work to give a retire.
I have a column showing date of birth and a column showing at what age they retire, 50, 55, 60. How do I add up the two to get a retirement date? Many thanks Claire Hi something like =DATE(YEAR(A1)+50,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Claire Le Monnier" <ClaireLeMonnier@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8F892F61-F652-4177-A0C0-F25899C11CFA@microsoft.com... > I have a column showing date of birth and a column showing at what age they > retire, 50, 55, 60. How do I add up the two to get a retirement date? > Many than...

Preview pane keeps disappearing
Hi, I have to keep resetting the preview pane in View-->Layout. It keeps disappearing. Kindly advise. Thanks in advance. In WLM it is called the 'Reading Pane' - Add the reading pane hot button to the Toolbar. I've never had the reading pane disappear. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "sheana" <sheana@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:939C40BC-F676-4881-882C-F882FCB6785B@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have to keep resetting the preview pane in View-->Layout. It keeps > disappearing. Kindly advise. Thanks in advance. &...

Auto-adjust column width
Hi all Is there a way to set a column width so that it auto-adjusts to the widest entry in the column? And what about the widest numerical entry, excluding word-wrapped cells containing text? I realise that I can double-click on the edge of the column header to achieve most of the desired result passively, but this does not work if the worksheet is protected. Thanks -- Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears Hi depending on your Excel version you can allow formating columns in the protection dialog. (I think starting with Excel 2002). In all other cases no chance but to remo...

Hide unhide sheets #2
Thanks Martin it works great ...

Move Partial Data from One Column to Another
I am looking for a way to take 5000 lines of data in Excel and take th last 6 digits of the data and move it into another column. For Example: Take the last 6 digits and move to next column Data 1 Data 2 435490870985430984 | 430984 234083209842309820 | 309820 432958739287193872 | 193872 542389034098430945 | 430945 With over 5000 lines to move I need an automated process so that i does not need to be done manually, any help or ideas would be greatl appreciated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Are the numbers of the same length (...

Printing the last column on every page printed.
I want to be able to print the last column of my spreadsheet (Total column) on every page that is printed from this workbook. How can I do this? I'm stumped... Thanks for your help! Are all the last columns in the same location (column X for example)? If yes, you could group all the sheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent). then select column X File|print|Select (bottom left corner) Do a preview first. But this prints each worksheet (column) on a different sheet. ====== You could have a macro that built a new worksheet and just copy|pastes values| that last column ...

charts hided with black cover
Accidentally, I have got charts covered with a gray sheet. After clicking a chart the sheet disappears! How to remove this enoying problem? :confused: -- res2001 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ res2001's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18155 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384975 Choose Tools>Options On the View tab, under Objects, select "Show All" Click OK res2001 wrote: > Accidentally, I have got charts covered with a gray sheet. > After clicki...

Finding cell text corresponding to the MAXimum figure in a spreadsheet?
Please can anyone help me with this... :) I've made a spreadsheet with the following attributes: Cells A1 to A100 contain a figure from 1-100 (a 'desirability' rating), sorted so that the highest figures are at the top of the spreadsheet and descend to the lowest figure in cell A100. Cells B1 to B100 contain the title of a CD album. Cells C1 to C100 contain the price of a CD album. I would like to make a formula that searches for the row that produces the highest result given from multiplying the figure in column A with the corresponding figure in column C and returns the co...

Linking a multiple spreadsheets to a master spreadsheet
I have looked for the solution to this, but have had no luck. I need to link multiple excel spreadsheets to a master spreadsheet, where each sheet on the master would represent one external spreadsheet. If the info on the external spreadsheets are changed, the master should reflect those changes and visa versa. I am using Excel 2007. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks! Excel doesn't work like this. It can pull the values from one cell to another via a formula, but it can't easily push the data from one cell to another (no matter where it'...