Algrebraic Functions

How would you solve a function with input 1 output 8.

Then input 2 output 14.

then input is blank Output is 24.

the input is blank and the out put is 28.

 Finally, the input is 6 and the output is blank.

It occurred to me that if you assume the input blanks are 4 and 5, then you
could use the Add Trendline option within Excel charts to show you what the
potential functions could be.

Try plotting x: 1, 2, (blank cell), 4, 5 against y: 8, 14, (blank cell), 24,
28

Use an x-y scatter chart and, when plotted, right click on a data point and
select Add Trendline. On the Type tab, I'd try selecting Polynomial (order at
least 2). On the Options tab click Display equation on chart.

Hopefully you will have some idea from the maths related work you're doing
which type of function you should be looking for (polynomial, exponential,
power etc) and if polynomial then the order of polynomial you are typically
working with (quadratic, cubic etc).

Regards,

Tom

"Jpleasant" wrote:

> How would you solve a function with input 1 output 8.
>
> Then input 2 output 14.

> then input is blank Output is 24.
>
> the input is blank and the out put is 28.
>
>  Finally, the input is 6 and the output is blank.

random generate functions
yes, i have done a little functions here and there, but its been a while. i cant seems to remeber how to generate randomly from lets say 20 cells. i know its round(rand 1-20, or something i just cant remember.i'd appreciate if someone could help me out. thanks in advace your all great. Hi have a look at RANDBETWEEN -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "WMILLER" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d4d601c439f9$10e0e2b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > yes, i have done a little functions here and there, but > its been a while. i cant seems...

Country Functions
Country functions differ from country to country. Is there a list of functions. For example in Denmark the equivalents are 1. CHAR - CHR 2. AND - OG Thanks in advance KeepItCool has a translator utility at: http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool/download.html dl wrote: > > Country functions differ from country to country. Is there a list of > functions. For example in Denmark the equivalents are > > 1. CHAR - CHR > > 2. AND - OG > > Thanks in advance -- Dave Peterson ...

normsdist function maximum
I was just doing some investigation and found that the normsdist function errors when given a value higher than 2147483647. I worked on this when doing some calculations for options based on Black Scholes and I thought it might be helpful for others running into problems with the 1.#INF infinity code from Excel. jasontferr...@gmail.com wrote... >I was just doing some investigation and found that the normsdist >function errors when given a value higher than 2147483647. I worked >on this when doing some calculations for options based on Black >Scholes and I thought it might be he...

Xsl extension function and type coersion in .Net?
Hi.. I have a c# class that i'm using to implement some extension functions and one of those functions is a simple push/pop stack. I made the c# code fairly generic, taking and returning objects - i.e public void push (object val { stack.Push (val) public object pop ( { return stack.Pop() The thought was that the stack could be used for many purposes even though my first use is for stacking boolean state info (e.g. <xsl:value-of select="ext:push(true())"/> ... <xsl:if test="ext:pop()">Succeeded!</xsl:if>). The odd thing I'm seeing so far i...

Can we use the datediff function and put the answer in a cell?
what we want to do is return the difference of this function into a cell in a table, can we do it? On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:34:01 -0800, timmone <timmone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Yes, but you shouldn't. Because that would violate an important relational database design principle that says "no calculated fields in the database". Rather you would calculate the value on the fly in a query: select DateDiff("d", myStartDate, myEndDate) as DaysBetween from myTable -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >what we want to do is return the difference o...

scrolling functionality to edit box
Hello, My application consists of drawing a series of rectangles in the edit box. I'm currently having some problems adding both vertical and horizontal scrolling features to an edit box in a dialog. Though I have checked "Horizontal Scroll", "Auto HScroll", "Vertical Scroll" and "Auto VScroll" in the "Styles" tab of this edit box, no scrolling goes on when I draw to my edit box. When I do a paint, the drawing exceeds the width of the edit box and even paints up to the borders of the dialog. What's strange is if I type text into the e...

if then function
In an if then statement, how do I get the value to be a result for instance If b12>b13, then b12*5% hi, =if(condition, true, false) =if(B12>B13,B12*.05,something else) >-----Original Message----- >In an if then statement, how do I get the value to be a >result for instance If b12>b13, then b12*5% >. > >-----Original Message----- >In an if then statement, how do I get the value to be a >result for instance If b12>b13, then b12*5% >. > I had this problem which i eventually solved my slef using this =IF(C5>C6,C37,IF(C5<C6,C6-C5,IF(C5=0,C8+C...

CHR() function not working in Excel 2003
I've written a VBA application in Excel 2002, which works correctly. This should work on all recent versions of Excel, so I've been testing it on Excel 2003. This includes the lines: Dim a as String a = "text" + Chr(34) On Excel 2003, I'm getting the error "Compile error: Can't find project or library", and the Chr function is highlighted. If it's helpful, I've tried commenting this line out and I also get the same error elsewhere when I use the Space() function. The rest of the code runs successfully. I've seen elsewhere that I should look ...

SUMPRODUCT function
Partner Orpington FRICS Partner Orpington FRICS Partner Orpington BSc FRICS I Eng AMI Struct E Partner Orpington FRICS Partner Orpington BA(Hons) MRICS Partner Orpington MRICS BSc Partner Orpington BSc Dip Arch(Hons) RIBA Partner Orpington ACIOB MAPM Partner Orpington BSc MRICS Partner/ Site Assessor Orpington BSc FRICS I Eng AMI Struct E Partner Associate Orpington BSc FRICS I Eng AMI Struct E Partner Orpington BSc MRICS Partner Orpington MRICS Partner Orpington BSc(Hons) Dip Arch Grad DiplCons (AA) RIBA Partner Orpington BSc MRICS ...

Advancing the Date Function?
Hi, I'm just looking for a function that looks at the previous cell, into which I've typed the date (in MM-yy format), and then simply advances it to the next month (i.e I type in Jan-10, then the next cell automatically displays Feb-10, and the one after Mar-10, etc). Sorry if this seems a simple request. Thanks As long as you typed in a real date, the format won't matter to excel -- it will matter to you! But if you have June 1, 2010 in A1 (formatted to 06-10), you can use this in B1: =date(year(a1),month(a1)+1,1) and format it the way you like. Ruper...

Function Rounding
Just wondering if there is a way to get '14,037,000' to 14,037 by using a formular You could simply divide by 1000. And if you have intentionaaly put the single quotes, then assuming your text '14,037,000' lies in cell A1, then use: =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"'","")/1000 Mangesh "Lost" <Lost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF4B5AC0-CE16-40AB-9472-896C07802C47@microsoft.com... > Just wondering if there is a way to get '14,037,000' to 14,037 by using a > formular > If the 14037000 is in cell A1, then i...

More function than FLOOR() !
I have a problem for an excel formula. I want to convert 1 to 0, 2 to 0,...... ..., 10 to 0. And convert 11 to 10, 12 to 10,............, 20 to 10. I know the formula of FLOOR can have this function, however, it will convert 10 to 10, 20 to 20 which is not I want. What I want is to convert 10 to 0, 20 to 10, 30 to 20, 40 to 30. Therefore, how can I achieve this result by using Excel Formular? Many thanks, Wilchong -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com If you won't have very small increments =FLOOR(A21-1/10^10,10) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "w...

Countif function #7
Dear Sir, I like to count a range of column, but I get only field that <3 and >7. What is wrong in my formular? Example: Countif(D2:d450,"<3 and >9")???? Thanks, Malyka Hi! Try one of these: =COUNTIF(D2:D450,"<3")+COUNTIF(D2:D450,">9") =SUMPRODUCT(--(D2:D450<3)+(D2:D450>9)) Are you sure you have the criteria correct? <3 = less than 3 >9 = greater than 9 Biff >-----Original Message----- >Dear Sir, > >I like to count a range of column, but I get only field >that <3 and >7. What is wrong in my formular? ...

IF function #7
I have a cell -A1-, it can be set at either Yes or No, this is don with use of a Validation list. I want another cell -C1- to show 'Price Change' when A1 shows Yes an it should say 'No Change' when cell A1 shows No. I tried this formula in C1: =IF(A1="Yes";"Price Change";"No Change") It doesn't work , C1 just shows 'No Change' all the time and it doesn' matter if I set the cell A1 on Yes or No... What am I doing wrong -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi your formula looks o.k. You may check if there're ...

Sum function not updating
The sum function in Excel has stopped updating. If I enter new data, the sum function will not calculate it, unless I retype the function again. For example: Volumes 10 15 20 25 I currently have the next cell reading "=sum(C2:C5)" This function should give me a total of 70. However, if I change one of the cells, like the first cell that contains 10 to 50, the function will not update. It shuold automatically update any calculations that are made in cells C2 to C5, correct? Why is Excel not doing this? The frustrating thing is that if I go back and retype the function ...

WMP Music view no longer functioning correctly
I'm running latest version WMP 12 on Windows 7. The general top-level view of all music in the library (ie view obtained by clicking Music in left hand menu column, rather than Artists, Album, Genre etc below) is no longer functioning. Specifically, it displays only a single album artwork and title on the left hand, and all tracks are listed continuously ie not differentiated by album as should be the case. Also, the column heads are no longer responsive (ie cannot click on them to select by Title, Contributing Artist etc). Other views (by Artist, Album etc) are functioni...

Sub or Function not defined
Long time XL97 user, now XL2003. I've used excel macros for years and don't remember having to do this: I have macros in my Personal.xls that I use in all my workbooks. If I get "Sub or Function not defined" error, I have to reference Personal.xls using Tools/References and pick it out. But Personal.xls is named "VBAProject(PERSONAL.XLS)" and my new workbook is named "VBAProject(Book1.xls)", so I get "Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library". So I have to make my Personal.xls in a different project. I do this...

Install add-in with user defined functions 02-12-08
Hi, Looking for an easy way to make user defined functions available for any mdb to open in Access 2003. I thought: create and mda, write VBA code and use Tools - Add-in Manager. That doesn't work because of a USysRegInfo table ...? Do I realy have to go through that 'misery' or is a simpler / better way? Many thanks, Frans van Zelm ...

Windows Update Destroying Access Functionality
I recently went through the automatic updates that were to be installed on my computer, and I found that one of them apparently had the sole function of destroying the ability to edit data in linked Excel tables. There didn't seem to be any rationale provided that this was fixing any other issues. Any idea about why we'd want to install such a destructive update? -Amy oh come on this is a patent lawsuit that Microsoft lost-- because they weren't willing to pay the patent holder a reasonable amount of money it's in South America; it specifically has to do with editin...

Exporting functions from my application
Hi, I know how to export functions from a DLL And I know how to use WM_COPYDATA to do a very simple IPC. But is it possible to export functions directly from the exe? What I am aiming to do is. 1- Start my main application 2- The main application would then start another exe 3- The 'other' exe would contact the main application to get needed information via some exposed API/Functions. Would the above be possible? Simon "Simon" <spambucket@example.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:67lfdtF2p7l6uU1@mid.individual.net... > But is it possible to export functi...

Weeknum function #2
I've been creating a spreadsheet that takes figures from specific date and summarises into weeks and came accross this problem.. E.g. =WEEKNUM("20/9/2005") returns '39'.. it is however week 38! However, using dates from last year e.g. =weeknum("14/10/2004") it returns the correct week 42. Is it me or is this a bug?... i've tried looking for some sort of patc but no joy -- madhatter_scf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- madhatter_scfc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2725 ...

Help with Camera Function
I'm trying to copy a picture of part of a spreadsheet into a Word document. The Camera function found in Tools\Customise\Commands\Tools almost does the trick but I particularly want to include the Row and Column headings so it's easy to refer to particular cells or ranges. Can Camera be used to show Row and Column headings as well as cells and, if so, how? If not, what is the easiest way of achieving what I want to do? Thanks a lot Hi Try Snagit for this http://www.techsmith.com/ -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "nospaminlich" <nospaminlich@di...

Is there a RATE function for single sum?
Is there a built in function for calculating the interest rate for a single sum? IOW, is there a function to calculate i in PV =FV/(1+i)^n ? I can do the math to solve for i but I want to know if there is a function to do it for me. The RATE function is for annuities. NOMINAL and EFFCT each take the other as input. And there are several functions to calculate security yields given specific dates. But all I want is a function to calculate i for a single sum. Is there such a function? On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:10:09 -0700, "Dave" <davefrick@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: &g...

Hiding formula/functions
I received a spreadsheet that someone wants me to help them with. The vba code that runs when a button is clicked exports a range to a csv file. I entered the following formula into the first column so that it would enter a 1 only when something is entered into column N. This part works. =IF(N8<>"",1,"") However, when I know export the data it thinks it should export all 92 rows because it thinks the formula is part of the data. How do I tell the code to NOT include the formula when it searches for a blank row? Thanks, I am thinking there is...

Counting Workdays Function
When i try to call the fuction i get a error I am using CalcWorkDays([DateDiverted],[dtmEnd]) The error says The expression is typed incorrectly or it too comples to be evaluated Does anyone know what wrong this I am a beginner VB Function CalcWorkDays(DateDiverted As Date, dtmEnd As Date) As Integer 'Calculated the number of working days between two dates 'DateDiverted - the first day to include in the range 'dtmEnd - the last day to include in the range 'Returns the number of working days between the two dates 'Both dates are counted if they are working days Dim in...