after saving to cd many times. now says read only?

i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of
a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my
hard drive?
0
nsturre (1)

nsturre wrote:
> i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of
> a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my
> hard drive?
Unless you have formatted your CDRW for packet writing, then yes, it
will be Read only. CDROM = CD Read Only Memory!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/17/2005 4:43:56 PM
Just one of the dangers of saving directly to or opening directly from a disk.

Best practice is to save to HDD first then copy to CD.  Same way coming back.

Can you copy it to HDD and is it still read-only?

Can you remove the read-only property through Windows Explorer?

You may have to copy the sheets to a new workbook and save that.  To HDD, of
course.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:37:02 -0800, "nsturre"
<nsturre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of
>a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my
>hard drive?

0
Gord

"Too many formats used"!!!
I have a large spreadsheet with multiple input forms which is almost complete. I am unable to progress further as Excel will not allow me to format any more cells with a "Too many formats used" message being displayed I understand that I need to reduce the amount of formatting that has been used, but my endeavours to do so simply pops up the same message. Is there a simple way to reduce the number of formats used in a spreadsheet either globally or per worksheet? Or any other solutions to this problem Any help would be greatfully appreciated. Hi for dealing with too many cell for...

Value 1 in excel cell show as 0.99999999999999978 once save in XML format
Hi all, I receive an excel sheet , with a column which is format in number. The value that i seen from the screen is '1'. Later, when i save the file in . xml format (File->Save As, choose 'XML Spredsheet' .xml' ) i found that the '1' had become '0.99999999999999978'. I relook into the spread sheet again, the value is really show in '1' in the formula bar, and double check on the format it is formatted in number with zero decimal place. I don't have a clue where the '0.99999999999999978' is come from ? Could it be an excel bug ? o...

Inserting Date/Time of Last Update
Is there a way to insert a date and time in a cell(s) that will only be updated if there is a change to the worksheet. I'm looking to have the date/time of the last update so that it is easy to tell how current the worksheet is. Thanks -- Lionel B. Dyck <>< AIM ID: lbdyck Yahoo IM: lbdyck Homepage http://www.lbdsoftware.com/ Blog: http://randommgmt.blogspot.com/ Lionel You could put some code in a worksheet_Change() event like so (uses A1) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Range("A1").Value = Now() End Sub To implement right click the sheet t...

Oh Joy! Now I can't download ANY transactions! #2
I solved a problem like this that I was having. I installed a file monitor and I saw when I downloaded tranactions they were going into a temporary internet folder. I also saw that mnyimprt was trying to read in from the wrong file during the import. It needs to be research more, but I think the downloaded file had a name collision and the OS automatically renamed it to something that mnyimprt did not expect. The workaround I suggest is to go in to IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Files. I also deleted cookies, but that should not matter. Shawn >-----Original Message----...

[announce]DataDirect XQuery now Available
Dear microsoft.public.dotnet.xml community, The first XQuery component to implement the XQuery API for Java� (XQJ), DataDirect XQuery�, is now available in beta. DataDirect XQuery allows you to query XML, relational databases, or a combination of the two and integrate the results for any XML you need. It does not require any other product or application server, and has no server of its own � making it easily embeddable into your applications. You can use the beta to process XQuery expressions against Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and IBM DB2, directly from within your Java applications. Get ...

Calculating Time difference based on a condition
I have 3 columns that have date/time on the first column and device status on the 2nd column and calculated Time difference on the third column. I have sample data below. I have to subtract the first instance of ENABLE DEVICE DATE/TIME from the previous MALF DEVICE DATE/TIME to get the difference. I do not worry about the DISABLE Device date/time at all. I could do this manually but there are about 20,000 records to go through. I don't know if there is a worksheet function that will do this automatically for me. Date/Time DEVICE STATUS TIME DIFFERENCE 6/7/04...

How do I stop today() from updating date on saved spreadsheets?
I have a template that automatically populates the date field with the current date when opened, using today(). Users then Save As to have an archive copy of their spreadsheet. However, when they go back to access their saved sheet, the date changes from the created date to the current date. How do I stop this in Excel? I know that Word lets you do this by changing the code from {DATE} to {CREATEDATE}, but I can't find a similar setting in Excel. Please help and thank you! have it do range("a1")=date -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "lionmark&...

TIME X MONEY
I'm trying to work my payroll sheets via excel and am running into an error when trying to multiply the hourly rate by the hours worked. I am using excel 2007, the time is formatted to HH:MM:SS and when I for example myltiply 08:00:00 by $12 the result is $3.96, when in fact it should read $96.00. Any suggestions or formulas would be appreciated. Try... =(A1*24)*12 where A1 houses a time value like 08:00:00. The formula cell must be formatted as number or currency. MattG wrote: > I'm trying to work my payroll sheets via excel and am running into an error &...

Reading attachements
Would anyone advice me on what to do to stop Outlook express restriting access to my attachements! Thank you, JK "JK" <dimbleby@msn.com> wrote in message news:0c7d01c3b515$846f8e70$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Would anyone advice me on what to do to stop Outlook > express restriting access to my attachements! > Thank you, > JK have you never heard of Google? this must be the MOST ASKED question in HISTORY. tools-options-security. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actually a separate p...

Totally confused now Help please
I have been having problems with Outlook 2003 not saving passwords so I created 3 different profiles each with one e mail account in each. Tim 1 = Personal Tim 2 = Business Tim 3 = webmaster I set my archive to autoarchive after a set period of time and everything seems to work fine however I now have about 10 personal folders and archive folders in outlook folder. I want to be able to backup each account using the outlook backup tool and save all folders to my external HD, but I am losing the plot a bit. Can anyone explain (in simple terms please) how I can acheive this. Please just ...

how can I open attachments with several pages to read and print
I had a situation last Fall where my Outlook preferences changed, it's now becoming annoying. Before I could open attachments with several pages, review them by page and print as needed. Suddenly every attachment activates my CS2 program, this change now causes me to read each page separately by going back and reopening the attachment then go to the page each and every time? willywlm@comcast.net wrote: NOTE: Do not expose your true e-mail address in newsgroup posts. Spam bots harvest e-mail address from Usenet. Munge your e-mail address or use a bogus one (but do NOT u...

How do you save a CBitmap to a BMP file
Does anybody know how to do this ? You would think it would be easy... The internet has loads of references to loading BMP's into CBitmaps but none for the other way round :( James "moogle33" <moogle33@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bq4glq$9ec$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk... > Does anybody know how to do this ? > You would think it would be easy... The internet has loads of references to > loading BMP's into CBitmaps but none for the other way round :( Here's some code I use to do it in my WebCam app: HANDLE hf = CreateFile(bmp, GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHAR...

Saving Conflict On Shared Workbook
User has 5 Shared Excel Workbooks. The first one was created in October 2003. She created each Workbook as protected and she is the only one with the password. However, on each tab, she has allowed one additional person to be able to modify a select group of fields. (implemented using Tools/Sharing Users access these workbooks frequently and often have them open all day everyday. This system has worked fine -- until last Friday. Now all five spreadsheets are getting save conflicts Most users access via terminal servers. However there are a few with desktop/laptops. There are a total...

outlook just can start one time
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C360E9.B54C9F90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am using win98 and outlook2002. I create a new profile for Outlook2002 = to connect to our Echange 2000 server. First time I can start = Outlook2002 and work fine. But after I close Outlook2002 and start it = again. I receive the following error message: Your logon information was incorrect. Check your username and domain, = then type your password again. If your account is new or if your = administrator r...

preview only or embedded fonts driving me nuts editing & tring to save
I created this ms publisher thing in ms pub 2000. Now every time I try and edit it and save it gives me thing "I can't because fonts are preiw only / embeded" error. 1st I used MS arial. Then I changed it all to arial black, then arial and it just seems no matter what I do I get the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? Need to save the things I've added. Dave There must be something about the way you originally saved the file. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] <sales@proaudiomusic.com> wrote in message news:1151274822.879510.201300@p79g2000cwp.goog...

How do I stop a user with no admin rights from reading other email
A view in exchange server of "mailboxes", shows a user with no visible admin rights accessing other people's email. How is this possible?! In the last exciting episode, "wonnabe" <wonnabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >A view in exchange server of "mailboxes", shows a user with no visible admin rights accessing other people's email. How is this possible?! How does it show this exactly? "wonnabe" <wonnabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >A view in exchange server of "mailboxes", shows a user with no visible a...

Crystal Columns Based on Time Elements
Hello: For those of you familiar with FRx, you know that you can have a column that references the current month and current fiscal year, and a separate column of data representing the current month but for the prior fiscal year. Is it possible to build this sort of logic in Crystal? I have written a complex inventory sales report that accurately shows sales data for any particular fiscal month and fiscal year. I wrote this based on parameter fields for month and year chosen by the end user when refreshing the report. But, I also need a column that shows that same data (same items) i...

Auto Save Add-In
Hi Dave Thanks very much for the detailed instructions, I will follow them an let you know Charle -- Charles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- CharlesF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=874 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26197 ...

Excel (Office XP) secretly inserts personal metadata when closing documents without saving
Because I actually like to know and control when my documents are modified, I maintain digital checksums of all my documents (as anyone should to detect corruption or unauthorized tampering). Yesterday I was sent a binomial distribution table in an Excel document. I opened the document and then closed it without making any changes. The file's last-modified timestamp was unchanged. However, I detected modification of the file by a change in its SHA1 signature. A binary comparison between the original document revealed some minor differences, such as the original author's nam...

File is read only or encrypted
All of a sudden I have started having some problems when trypoing to open a spreadsheet located on the desktop. The last time the file(s) were open, there was a hesitation when closing them, and on the next attempt I receive the message that "Excel cannon open XXXXXXXX.xls -File may be read only or encrypted. I cannot move the file, open the file, edit the file or anything else. If I log in in Safe mode and go to the command prompt I can then delete it, but can't open it. Has anybody else experienced this and if so what is causing it and how do I fix it. Vista OS? Add &q...

Save Refreshable Excel Data for Offline Viewing
We created a dynamic Excel report that is a list of the avaiable inventory. We now need to send the Excel document to a customer and I cannot find an easy way to save the data of the file in a static manner, so the client who is not connected to the network, can access the inventory list. With everything I've tried, when I open the document its blank until I click "refresh data". I'm thinking there has to be a simple way to address this, but so far I cannot find it. (P.S. We are using Excel 2003) Thanks Two things I can think of to try (haven't used...

Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. #3
I am having trouble sending to just aol all of a sudden. They hang in the queue and then time-out Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: FW: Accident Sent: 10/4/2005 3:14 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: usernamehere@aol.com on 10/5/2005 3:30 PM Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator. <mydomainnamehere.com #4.4.7> Any ideas of what could be causing this? All other e-mails work and when I send from my yahoo account, ...

Run time error '2001' You cancelled the previous operation
Hi, My data entry form was working just fine until I loaded the production data. Now I am getting the above error I cannot figure out why this is happening. The error is happening in the following code: Private Sub cboPlants_AfterUpdate() 'On Error GoTo Err_cboPlants_AfterUpdate Dim strPlants As String Dim strYear As String Dim TheDate As Date Dim strKey As Integer 'Code added If IsNull(cboPlants) Then Exit Sub End If If IsNull(Me!cboSource1) Then MsgBox ("Please select the Source") Me!cboSource1.SetFocus Else TheDate = Now() strPlants = Me!txtP...

stop read receipt
Does anyone know if you can stop all read receipts in Exchange 2003 for the entire user base? I don't to visit all the users to shut this off. Thanks, Dan On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:22:02 -0800, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if you can stop all read receipts in Exchange 2003 for the >entire user base? > >I don't to visit all the users to shut this off. > >Thanks, >Dan Use a GPO with the outlook adm On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:22:02 -0800, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if you can stop all re...

Help! How many graphicals resources a dialog can manage?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C79943.8039D200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Using VC++ .NET 2003 I have a dialog base application, with 4 tabs. When I display the heavier tab (over 140 objects resources) , not all of them are displayed. When I move the window app on the screen, all objects are then refresh. But iconizing the app, and getting back to the screen, lead to loss some graphicals objects again... Changing the order of resources definitions on the .rc file, and mor...