Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc

Good morning all!

I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a
problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure.

I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create
test data files.

I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a
filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was
created in the same folder.

Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook
(with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from
scratch) , created new code modules and copied the code first into Notepad,
then into the new workbook.

The problem still occurred.

Finally, I noticed that it even happened when I did a simple File Save As
from the menu, so I'm fairly certain it isn't my code that's causing the
problem.

Could my Excel document template be corrupted in some way?

Can anybody think of any tests or checks I could carry out on my workbook to
look for corruptions that might be causing these additional files to be
creaed? I'm assuming that they're TEMP files that are being created, but not
deleted, during the Save As process.

Yours in desperation, and thanks in advance

Pete Rooney

0
PeterRooney (105)

Oh, and by the way, frequently, the copy files created often throw up an
application error and crash Excel, whether opened from within Excel or
lanched from Explorer, leading me to think even more that they're corrupted.

How has this happened when I started a new workbook from scratch, though?

The problem doesn't happen when I File Save As any other workbooks.

Pete

"Peter Rooney" wrote:

> Good morning all!
>
> I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a
> problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure.
>
> I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create
> test data files.
>
> I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a
> filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was
> created in the same folder.
>
> Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook
> (with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from
> scratch) , created new code modules and copied the code first into Notepad,
> then into the new workbook.
>
> The problem still occurred.
>
> Finally, I noticed that it even happened when I did a simple File Save As
> from the menu, so I'm fairly certain it isn't my code that's causing the
> problem.
>
> Could my Excel document template be corrupted in some way?
>
> Can anybody think of any tests or checks I could carry out on my workbook to
> look for corruptions that might be causing these additional files to be
> creaed? I'm assuming that they're TEMP files that are being created, but not
> deleted, during the Save As process.
>
> Yours in desperation, and thanks in advance
>
> Pete Rooney

0
PeterRooney (105)
8/11/2005 9:02:03 AM
When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
test.  If that doesn't help, maybe it's a permission problem.  (I'd double
check.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

.qfx file in excel
my bank for some reason will only allow me to download my statement in a qfx file (quicken) but i dont have any quicken programs i use excel to manage my finances how can i open this file up??? If the bank does not have .text (.txt) or comma separated variables (.csv), which would probably be listed as spreadsheet format, then I would complain to the bank. Meanwhile you could copy and paste from your checking activity HTML pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: ...

.mdi Files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have some .mdi files (generated at work with some lab software). They seem to open okay on my work PC. Is there any way that I can get Office 2008 and a MAC to recognize / open these? No, .mdi is a Windows-only format exclusive to the Microsoft Document Imaging program... Even other Windows apps can't read or create them. If you can get them into a Windows box open them in MDI & then Save As TIFF to get a format that can be opened by graphics apps or inserted into other documents as a picture. TIFF files are ...

Data Save error
GP Ver 6.0. Recently I am facing an error with normal users unable to save records, where as the system administrator is able to save the same information. Please advice on this error, what has to be done. I have disabled the windows user ID of the Database owner. Thinking of this made Dynasa as the DBO. Database is having enough free space available. Hi How big is the company database? Is it over 10GB? Regards James "Matthews" <Matthews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FF3F553-5B18-4D8A-B65E-8A253BF94BB2@microsoft.com... > GP Ver 6.0. Recently I...

extension DLL problems
I have CPropertySheet class with three CPropertyPage" classes in an extension DLL. I compile it, and run it. I get the .LIB and the .DLL files etc. in the client application I incluce the .LIB file and then I have add a button which when pressed will attempt to run the following code: CPropertySheet myWizard("Import wizard", this, 0); myWizard.DoModal(); this code produces the following error: "Debug assertion failed!" File: afxwin1.inl Line: 22 what is to be done? prg wrote: > I have CPropertySheet class with three CPropertyPage" classes in an > e...

Unable to start up my Excel files
One of my users have this odd issue with his Excel 2003. He's unable to start the files directly but instead he must start a blank excel sheet then open his files from there. Is there a solution to this issue? Please advise. Thanks! Dell 170L P4 800mghz 1gbram Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2003 SP2 Could the problem be that he cannot open files by double-clicking on them from Windows Explorer, but must open Excel (which will launch a blank sheet) and then open them directly from there using File / Open... If so then tell him to try Tools / Options / General / untick 'Ignore Othe...

File password override
I'm trying to restore a backup file. Money is asking for a file password. I enter the password that is appropriate for the Passport account used to lock the file, but Money will not accept that. I wonder if this file has a seperate file password and if so, I have no memory of what it may have been. Is there some way to reset it? Is there some other way in to this file? Thanks Though I sympathize with your problem, I certainly hope there's no back door. If there is, I'm going back to paper records. I shudder to think that a hacker could conceivably get an older backup file an...

Book1
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart\Book1.xl -- mdalb ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mdalby's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=705 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26311 The template should be named Book.xlt, not Book1.xlt. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "mdalby" <mdalby.1d31an@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mdalby.1d31an@excelforum-nospam.com... > >...

opening .dat Accounts Receivable file in Great Plains for DOS
Hi There: We are trying to retrieve some information from a posted accounts receivable report... We think its in a .dat file but have no way of opening... This anyone know if this is possible... Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Carmine Carmine, Can you be a little more specific? What version of GP, what report, what information? Victoria "Carmine" <Carmine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:839CC67C-A4C7-4584-8119-C40F74960573@microsoft.com... Hi There: We are trying to retrieve some information from a posted accounts ...

Creating a duplicate lead
Am I right in assuming there is no way to create a duplicate lead from an existing one? I'm asking because I have multiple people within the same company - would like to add a second lead without retyping all the address info, etc., that would be exactly the same. check out the free c360 Clone utility: http://www.c360.com/Clone.aspx It'll do what you need. -Sarah B. "jjohnson" wrote: > Am I right in assuming there is no way to create a duplicate lead from an > existing one? I'm asking because I have multiple people within the same > company - would ...

csv-file problems with different regions
I have imported an American csv-file into a German Excel XP. The American $-values are separated by a "." while the German currency values are separated by a ",". So now my spreadsheet reads a value of $ 18.01 as 18. January. All values above 18.12 are ok. How can I avoid this problem? Or, can I change the values tediously one cell after the other? I have not found a way yet as even when I try to format a cell user defined it automatically changes to the format used in the German region. Thanks. Hans Temporarily change the regional settings on your computer to the same f...

File set up query.
Can i set up an excel file to open automatically on pc start up? The easiest is to use the Startup folder available in the Start Menu. To access it go to Start - Programs - Startup. You can delete or add tasks here according to your needs. They will start after Windows logon. When you start Excel, all the files that are located in the XLStart folder are automatically opened. Additionally, if you specified an alternative startup folder for Excel, every file in that folder is also automatically opened. To specify an alternative startup folder, in Microsoft Excel 2002 or Microsof...

Sorting file list by date/time...
Hello, does anybody have an idea how to program a sorting function given a directory with files, which should red to an array which is sorted by date and time, but contains only the filenames. Is there a MFC function or a shell function of the OS which could ease the job instead of doing it manually? Regards, Diana On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:39:50 +0200, "Diana Bulthaupt" <Diana.Bulthaupt(at)web.de> wrote: >does anybody have an idea how to program a sorting function given a >directory with files, which should red to an array which is sorted by date >an...

Creating company wide calendars
Hello, I need your help. I am testing Exchange 2003 and would like to create a shared calendar that everyone in the company can access for company events. Is it possible and if it is, how do you create such a calendar? Thank you for your help. Yes, create a Public Folder for the calendar. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org "Demetrius Samaras" <dsamaras@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:07a301c3b5eb$4db315b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I need your help. > > I am testing Exchange 2003 and would like to ...

Can I access the previous version of a saved file?
I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I "saved as" over it? Hi! I'm using Excel 10 (XP)......WinXP....... If I have an existing file and open it, make some changes, then do a SAVE AS and give it a different name, the newly "saved as" file is a completely *NEW* file and the original is still in tact with the previous file name. Try looking for the previous file name. Biff "JCC" <JCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CAD1748-1D5C...

how to edit Adobe file
how to edit Adobe file Most certainly not in Word. pdf files, I'm assuming that is what you mean by 'Adobe files', are 'fixed' files. Their layout is frozen so they look the same on any machine and can not be edited. If you still want to edit such a pdf file, you will have to convert the file to something else, edit it, and then save the result back as a pdf. The best tool to do the conversion of pdf files to Word documents is probably Acrobat Professional. Unfortunately, that is a rather expensive product to use for a few simple conversions. There are ...

Creating signatures but leaving them optional
Hello -- I've just had to re-load my operating system and then Office (and Outlook). The way I used to be set up, I had a signature that I could include in an outgoing email message by going Alt-I-S (and then I think the first letter of the name of the signature). In more than half my emails, I don't use a signature, but in others, I have a standard signature I want to include. So I'd like to be able to include the signat ure with a simple key-stroke combination, but otherwise leave messages unsigned. I can't figure out how to do this now -- if I create a signature, i...

Creating EMAIL Message -- Font is blurry to recipient
Once I send an email that I create in publisher the text appears blurry to the recipeint. Any one have any ideas how I can eliminate this problem I am using Verdan 8pt font and i have converted it to a web publication. Hi JV (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Once I send an email that I create in publisher the text appears || blurry to the recipeint. Any one have any ideas how I can eliminate || this problem? || || I am using Verdan 8pt font and i have converted it to a web || publication. Is it blurry only to this particular recipient? What does it loo...

Replicating Formulas between excel files
Hi there, Does anyone know how I can replicate formulas (verbatim) between difference excel files? I've tried to cut and paste between the separate files, but to my dismay it makes a reference to the original file. Regards, Nickchups The best procedure depends on how many you're trying to copy. For one or two, you can select the *entire* formula in the formula bar, right click and choose "Copy", then hit <Enter>. Now you can navigate to wherever you wish, and Paste it as many times and/or places you want. For numerous formulas, *unformulate* them by replacing t...

move files and prompt user if file already exists in target filepath
I have the following code that moves files between folders. Unfortunately, already existing files get overwritten if the new filename is the same. Is there a way to prompt the user in case the file would already exist and to abort the copy kill operation? here's my code: Private Sub Command9_Click() Dim strNewName As String Dim strOldName As String Dim strtargetfilepath As String strtargetfilepath = DLookup("[Draft to Active]", "filepath") strOldName = Me.Filename strNewName = strtargetfilepath & "\" & Me.Name1 FileCopy strOldName, strNe...

Want to hack the recently used file list max entries
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Would anyone care to offer a hack method to get the recently used file list to show more than 9 entries? No use telling me it can't be changed. I am asking for the &quot;Yes&quot; people to answer. OK, yes... The first thing you need to do is contact Microsoft & ask them for the source code. Seriously, there is no user option other than the setting provided in Preferences. If you want to see a longer list use the 'Recent' page of Project Gallery from the file menu. On its Customize page ...

Outlook 2007 cannot open .pst file
I just installed Outlook 2007, then moved older outlook pst files successfully into my new Outlook. However, I closed it and then restarted it. It claims that it cannot open the Outlook.pst file anymore. In trouble, need any and all input as to how to fix it; other than completely reinstalling it. I will loose some new email that I downloaded. thank you, -- ravimk http://forums.slipstick.com Which method did you use to reconnect your older pst-files? "Moved it" is not a valid action nor does it describe exactly what you did. The proper way to reconnect...

Excel temp files in network dir
I have users that are accessing a network shares to their excel files. I often see files that are 8 characters long Ex(D8710B20) and without extensions, left over in their dir. I have read MS article 814068 and understand that these are created during the save function; however, i have ruled out permissions and antivirus as the cause. These files consume a lot of network space. Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. Delete them? "les" <les.becker@ifcosystems.com> wrote in message news:242501c37332$34e6b600$a601280a@phx.gbl... : I have users that are accessing...

XML file extensions
I have a machine with Excel 2003 Pro installed. Whenever I create an XML file in any directory on the hard drive (created from SQL Server Database via Visual Studio) the XML file is automatically converted to an Excel 4.0 Macro file. It is then no longer recognised as an XML file. It would appear that somehow XML files are associated with Excel automatically. Can I turn this off? TIA Rowan Ignore me, I coded the file extension as XLM by mistake - which of course is an Excel 4.0 Macro!!! "Rowan" wrote: > I have a machine with Excel 2003 Pro installed. Whenever I create...

Trying to open a Publisher file from School
At school kids have PUB 03 or 07 file they created and at we have Home PUB 00, we cannot open their file? Am I out of luck? Dad of 5 wrote: > At school kids have PUB 03 or 07 file they created and at we have Home PUB > 00, we cannot open their file? Am I out of luck? Microsoft Home Publishing and Microsoft Publisher are two completely separate, different, and unfortunately similarly-named applications. Their filetypes are incompatible. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Dad of 5 wrote: > At school kids have PUB 03 or 07 file they created and at we have...

Problem in saving Date and $ field in Excel to CSV file
We just copy and paste data from MS Access 2003 to Excel 2003. When we save the Excel as CSV file, we find that the date has been converted to American format. We have checked the Regional Settings and Australia is used. Is there any language setting in Excel ? Moreover, on another machine, we are able to save to non-American date. However, we find that for monetary field, most of them are quoted - Like "$2,000.00" but some are not quoted - like $580.00. Your advice is sought. Thanks Peter ...