Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc

Good morning all!

I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a
problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure.

I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create
test data files.

I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a
filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was
created in the same folder.

Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook
(with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from
scratch) , created new code modules and copied the code first into Notepad,
then into the new workbook.

The problem still occurred.

Finally, I noticed that it even happened when I did a simple File Save As
from the menu, so I'm fairly certain it isn't my code that's causing the
problem.

Could my Excel document template be corrupted in some way?

Can anybody think of any tests or checks I could carry out on my workbook to
look for corruptions that might be causing these additional files to be
creaed? I'm assuming that they're TEMP files that are being created, but not
deleted, during the Save As process.

Yours in desperation, and thanks in advance

Pete Rooney

0
PeterRooney (105)

Oh, and by the way, frequently, the copy files created often throw up an
application error and crash Excel, whether opened from within Excel or
lanched from Explorer, leading me to think even more that they're corrupted.

How has this happened when I started a new workbook from scratch, though?

The problem doesn't happen when I File Save As any other workbooks.

Pete

"Peter Rooney" wrote:

> Good morning all!
>
> I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a
> problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure.
>
> I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create
> test data files.
>
> I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a
> filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was
> created in the same folder.
>
> Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook
> (with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from
> scratch) , created new code modules and copied the code first into Notepad,
> then into the new workbook.
>
> The problem still occurred.
>
> Finally, I noticed that it even happened when I did a simple File Save As
> from the menu, so I'm fairly certain it isn't my code that's causing the
> problem.
>
> Could my Excel document template be corrupted in some way?
>
> Can anybody think of any tests or checks I could carry out on my workbook to
> look for corruptions that might be causing these additional files to be
> creaed? I'm assuming that they're TEMP files that are being created, but not
> deleted, during the Save As process.
>
> Yours in desperation, and thanks in advance
>
> Pete Rooney

0
PeterRooney (105)
8/11/2005 9:02:03 AM
When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
test.  If that doesn't help, maybe it's a permission problem.  (I'd double
check.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Publisher does not recognize tab-delimited text files in a mail m.
I am a student who is learning MS Publisher 2003. In mail merges, publisher does not recognize tab-delimited text files. If you try to mail merge with a tdt file, the data appears as one column entry, making it impossible to sort by separate fields or insert separte fields as a formally formatted address block. Converting the file to a comma-delimited text file (comma separated values) solves the problem. The fields appear separately as they should in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, so that you can sort by separate fields and then set up a properly formatted address block. Pl...

Create a textbox that displays a list of possible items as we type
Hi All, Is it possible to display a list once user starts typing a word in vba? For eg, I have a userform connected to access database(I can already pull info from access, based on what user inputs in ID field), So Once a user starts typing in a text box, lets say User Name textbox, a list of users is displayed (something like google search, we start writing in the search bar and it suggests us what we might want based on what text we input) SO if I type in "A" in User Name text box, I get all the names starting with "A" such as: Name: [ A.... ] ...

Using Access 2007 to open ADP files from Access 2003
I have a few ADP files created in Access 2003 that connect to a SQL Server 2000 database. They have a lot of complex forms, reports, and extensive VBA code. I just upgraded to Windows Vista and Office 2007 through MSDN, and when I open the ADP files in Access 2007, they are excruciatingly slow and sometimes seem to choke entirely when loading some forms. Does anyone else have this problem or know what to do about it? Hi Scudder, I posted a comment a few days ago noting slowness of Access 2003 and 2007 with Vista in just running queries. So far there have been no responses. Hopefull...

How to track my saving?
Hi, I wonder how i can track my saving in Money 2004 Delexus. I set up some saving goals in my budget, but i don't see how Money provides assistance about how i am doing in fulfilling my saving goals. The feature i am looking for is this, when i have left over money in my budget each money, i want to be able to divide the leftover amount into a couple "virtual accounts", each of which tracks one of my saving goals. Then i want Money to be able to tell me how much i have saved towards each specific goal and how much more i need to save. I heard Quicken has this "virt...

why do I get a message that says save a copy or overwrite changes
When I try and save a workbook, I get a message that says save a copy or overwrite changes. Why am I getting this message? Did you click File|SaveAs instead of File|Save? Jennifer wrote: > > When I try and save a workbook, I get a message that says save a copy or > overwrite changes. Why am I getting this message? -- Dave Peterson ...

File w95inf32.dll
I have just installed Office Standard Edition upgrade on my computer. I have not been able to use Outlook 97 because of an error. I had hoped upgrading would solve my problem. When I try to load Outlook the message reads: Error loading W95INF32.dll I can't get past this point. Help!!!! Thank you!! Stephen ...

Problem importing a .pst file
Hi. I'm trying to import messages stored in a .pst file into Outlook (version 9.0.0.2711) with OS W2K. The file was created in Outlook under Windows XP. No error messages appear. The copying barometer comes up and it looks as if the messages are being imported. The problem is that I can't find them anywhere. What's going on? Tim They should be important in your main mailbox unless you've specified it to do otherwise. Do folder sizes indicate messages have been imported? You really should update your version of Outlook with Service Pack 3 and additional up...

thumbnails for files
Hi, 1. Does somebody know how can I show thumbnails (in the windows explorer) for my application's files (like bmp files and jpeg files have)? I didn't find any documentation on this subject. 2. Does somebody know if there is an api function that asscociate extension with an application? for example, I want that files with extension .wer will be opened with internet explorer (they are actually html files)? Help will be much appreciated, Ram. Hi Ram, Thanks for you posting in the group! 1. Based on my understanding, you want the cursor change to a thumbnail type when it pointed...

Save a CBitmap to disk, possible?? pleeze help!
i dont know how to do this!!! i know i can attach it to a CImage and then save it, but is it also possible in another way?? thanx ! I don't believe that a CBitmap is actually connected to any bitmap really. If you were to serialize it, you'd just end up with a couple of member variables and maybe a pointer to where the data was at one time. I think what you need to do is call the GetBitmapBits function and save all of that data, then upon restore recreate the CBitmap with SetBitmapBits. >-----Original Message----- >i dont know how to do this!!! >i know i can attach...

.xls file not found when .xls file clicked
Hi Folks, I have a problem that is driving me up the wall. Whenever I click file of the type xxxx.xls (whether in browser, email, desktop commander or anywhere), my excel program opens up and then I get a error message saying that xxxx.xls cannot be found. When I open up excel and do it the long way by moving down the path t the place where the file is located everything is OK Excel is set as my standard program for .xls extensions. This means that when I get an excel file in an email, I cant just clic it to open it up; instead I have to save it somewhere, then open u excel, find the place ...

Publisher 2007
We just upgraded to Office 2007. In my old version of Publisher (2003), the print settings I had assigned to each file were retained in that file--very handy in Publisher as some of the print settings can get complex at times. I print to a variety of different printers and have different settings for print jobs going to each. It appears as if this feature is no longer present. Is this true or is there some way to retain them? Setting manually can get time-consuming. Any suggestions? -- -Sharon. I'm replying to my own post here, but I found the solution! In Publisher 2007, rather t...

How to Create a Table of Contents or Index for a Report
I am attempting to us the technique for my application as it is described in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number 231851. I get an error on the Dim db as Database statemtnt Is there anyone who has used the technique successfulyy for Access 2000? Thanks in advance for any assistance you might give. ...

Unable to display the folder. (Additional mailbox)
We are using Exchange Server 2000 and Outlook 2003. I have tried to add User Y's mailbox to User X's Outlook under Exchange (open these additional mailboxes). No matter what, I keep getting a gray screen when clicking on the Mailbox in user's Folder List with the following error message: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location." I have made sure of the following: 1. User Y has given User X delegate privleges for Inbox, Calendar, Tasks, Contacts & Notes. All privileges are set to Editor. 2. I have...

Recover excel file
Can I get an autorecover file, if I closed Excel without saving changes? Sorry Jimp If you closed without saving, it's gone. Did you happen to E-Mail it to someone before you closed ?? Because it would be in sent email. Otherwise, it's start again I'm afraid. Regards Michael M "jimp" wrote: > Can I get an autorecover file, if I closed Excel without saving changes? ...

extract low res thumbnails or save slides as small images with VBA
I’m using powerpoint 2007 and was wondering if there is a VBA to extract the low res thunbnails in slide view. I know i can save the slides as individual images of various types at 544 x 376 but i would like to save these small in size (Dimension), without having to resize them in another application such as photoshop? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/powerpoint/201005/1 In article <a77e96e51d682@uwe>, A1k1do via OfficeKB.com wrote: > I�m using powerpoint 2007 and was wondering if there is a VBA to extract the > low res th...

corrupt log file?
can someone please help with this? i have a store whose log file (.ldf file) which has grown out of control. the database size is 1.2gb and the log file is 560mb. i am trying to switch to a new pc but this seems to be causing issues and i can not create the database on the new machine from the backup as recommended. does anyone have an idea of how to fix this log growth problem? Thanks, Jim Jim, The log growth problem is most probably coz of the "Recovery Model", please right click on the DB then Properties|Options then change the recovery model from "Full" t...

create a
Hi there. I have a sheet 'events' with 'A' Row being a patient ID taking the form S002, S003 etc. Each patient can have more than one row- these are hospital events, so often more than one. I have another sheet 'selected' with a selected list of patient IDs. Some of these patients have an event or events on the 'events' page, some do not. I'd like to create another sheet where all 'events' rows with a matching ID to the 'selected' list are displayed. (i.e. aselected sheet of rows from 'patients' using the ID from 'selected' a...

vba create multiple series xl3dline chart
I have a problem trying to programatically create a 3dLine chart, wher it gives me a '1004' error when trying to set any properties o SeriesCollection(2). I can reproduce the error in its simplest form (ignoring my code :-) b using the macro recorder to record creating the chart, as I get th error when I play back the recorded macro. It seems to be a proble manipulating the second (or more) series of this type of chart. If set the charttype to xlLineStacked for example, it works fine. I have attached a crude example in chartdemo.xls, which contains sub's, one that works with a...

OutlPrnt Files
Should there be a build up of OutlPrnt files? We just switched to Outlook XP and I am seeing upwards of 1000 of these stored under c:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. These are Windows 2000 computers. Thank you. ...

Trapping XML files
Hi, Whats the way to trap the xml that comes to xsl of MSCRM1.2. I found xml files in wwwroot->_resources files, is this the XML files or what's the way to trap those xml files. Regards, Hi Richard, what do you mean by trap xml files? Which xml files are you talking about, and what are you trying to do with them? Mike greaterthantwo media Printable Quotes, Orders and Invoices, with line-item details, now available for MSCRM. http://www.greaterthantwo.com "Richard I.P" <iamiamiam_77@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:68b0f2fd.0403012120.4dc4b2ea@posting.google.com......

Create columnar report with field names once per page
I have learned out to create multi-columned Access Columnar Reports with the aid of the Report Wizard and altering the File>Page Setup... However I would like to generate a multi column report for several records but only list the Field Name titles once on the left hand side of the paper. Check out the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208491/en-us. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Ch." wrote: > I have learned out to create multi-columned Access Columnar Reports with the > aid of the Report Wizard and altering the File>Page Setup... However I...

File Size #6
Hi I am using a file in which i copied the IF formulas till row# 900, an columns are covered till "BL" and most of them contain IF formulas. The problem is that file is very huge around 4.000KB. Because of this i am unable to mail it most of the times. How can i reduce file size? Jabee -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com WinZip will take the file down to about 1 tenth of size -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Abdul! You might reduce the size by ensuring an efficient used range Go to the first empty row after your data: Hold down Shift then p...

how do I increase drop list font and box size I created
Font is small and you have to scroll through list due to box size If the dropdown was created using Data Validation.............Font size is set at 8pt Dropdown box height cannot be changed. For workarounds like using a ComboBox and using Zoom see Debra Dalgleish's site on DV Lists. http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:36:02 -0700, cdietz1 <cdietz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Font is small and you have to scroll through list due to box size ...

Excel files are 'read only' when accessed over network.
How do I make them accessible please. Also I cannot get access to Windows folder via network. Ideally I would like to get access to everything over the network if I need to. I have ticked sharing and security boxes. Since these are network drives, you may want to have your IT folks look at it and see if you have access to the drives/folders you need. gracenote wrote: > > How do I make them accessible please. > > Also I cannot get access to Windows folder via network. Ideally I > would like to get access to everything over the network if I need to. > I have ticked sharing...

error loading xml file
hello, the $xml loaded the xml file and it did store the xml as a property, but it won't display on screen. i need some help navigate out of the dark many thanks PSH �� $xml = new xml PSH �� $xml.load("h:\windowspowershell\template.xml") PSH �� $xml format-default : Object reference not set to an instance of an object. + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [format-default], NullReferenceException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.FormatDefaultCommand Not 100% sure what you are trying to do here but for a star...