Adding argument description to custom functions

Hi

does anyone knows how to add description to custom functions' arguments
so that a description of each argument can be displayed in the formula
palette?

thanks

VBA functions don't support text descriptions in the Function wizard.

You can look at the information Laurent Longre has posted on his site about
this:

http://longre.free.fr/english/func_cats.htm

Newer addin that supports this:
http://longre.free.fr/english/index.html#FunCustomize

here is some peripheral information you might find useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;277017
XL2000: Cannot See User-Defined Function in the Paste Function Dialog Box

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;213645
XL2000: How to Use a Custom Function in Another Workbook

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142123
XL: How to Remove User-Defined Functions from Function Wizard

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;151490
XL: How to Create a Global User-Defined Function

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213813
XL2000: How to Add a New Category to Function Category List

As far as assigning a help file to the macro, that is done in the
macrooptions method of the application.object.  I haven't done it, so I
don't know if that will work with the help on this function button

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;157108
XL97: Options Not Available in Macro Options Dialog Box

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

philipgoh <philipgoh.u43ey@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> does anyone knows how to add description to custom functions' arguments
> so that a description of each argument can be displayed in the formula
> palette?
>
> thanks

twogilvy (1078)

Exchange System Mananger New AD Mailbox not appearing in Mailboxes
Have set up a clean Exchange 2003 install. Have ran Best Practices Analyzer Tool with no problems showing. The only Mailbox's that are showing are SMTP(Server), System Attendant and SystemMailbox. Problems: 1. I cannot get a mailbox to appear for Dick (who is a Previous Active Directory User) under Exchange System Manager Mailboxes. 2. I cannot get a mailbox to appear for (Any New Active Directory User) under Exchange System Manager Mailboxes. I have made a list of names and numeric ip addresses of my present Windows 2003 Enterprise Domain Controller and Exchange 2003 setup. Qu...

Can I hide an attribute of certain users only in the GAL without changing AD ?
Hello, We need to hide the office address for a small number of vip users in the GAL without changing the underlying value in AD. The office addresses of everyone else has to remain visible as usual. I've suggested moving the data to a custom attribute for the vip users and leaving their ordinary office address attribute empty. Any other possible solutions pls? Exchange 2003 in a 2003 R2 domain with Outlook 2003. Thanks, - Alan. On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:44:26 -0800 (PST), Alan <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello, > >We need to hide the office address for...

Customer Returns
I'd like to know if there someone has written a RMS report that shows the customer account number, customer's name (last, first), and other customer statistics that INCLUDE pieces purchased and pieces returned. Or, if someone with more knowledge of SQL would care to share their coding expertise to accomplish the same, it would be appreciated. ...

Bar Chart With Custom Labels On X and Y?
I've got some data points that represent "Rating" quality securities batched by number of days to maturity. e.g. For 01-07 days, the rating quality might be .99 For 08-30 days, the rating quality might be .83.... and so forth. What I want is a bar chart with a bar for each group of days where the bar represents the relative rating quality of that group. Bigger bars = Higher quality. Rating weights, however, are on the order of .25 = good and 2 = really bad. So the first thing I do in invert those numbers by subtracting them from 3.... so good = 2.75 and really bad = 1. Go...

DSUM and other functions on External data
Is there any way to make the DSUM and "the like" functions work on external data without having to import it to Excel where the maximum number of rows are limited. Thanks you Best regards Peter Hi no this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peter wrote: > Is there any way to make the DSUM and "the like" functions work on > external data without having to import it to Excel where the maximum > number of rows are limited. > > Thanks you > > Best regards > Peter ...

IF Function
=IF(S26>$C26,"high",IF(S26<$B26,"low",IF(S26>=$B26,"normal",IF(S26<=$C26,"normal",IF(S26="0"+S26,"notest"))))) This IF formula string does not allow the last function to operate??? Why?? In this section there is a problem IF(S26<$B26,"low",IF(S26>=$B26," so if F26<B26 then "Low" The next if statement is always true. If we got here then S26 must be >= B26 since it can not be less than... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Petros" wrote: > =IF(S26>$C26...

Custom Function I can use in a formula?
Hi Guys I got one for you. I have a sheet that I record football match results in, by entering a score in one cell like this: 1-1 or 2-1 or 2-2 I have a number of friends who attempt to predict the outcome of the games, and they score points depending on how accurate their prediction is. Points are scored as follows: Score exactly right - 30 points Correct result, wrong score, but correct goal difference - 15 points Correct result, wrong score, and wrong goal difference - 10 points Correct draw, but wrong score - 20 points Wrong result entirely - minus 10 points I have ...

excel 2007 autofilter change to 2003 autofilter functionality?
Is it possible to make the 2007 autofilter change back to the 2003 autofilter functionality? You have at least one response at one of your other posts. jonnybrovo815 wrote: > > Is it possible to make the 2007 autofilter change back to the 2003 autofilter > functionality? -- Dave Peterson ...

Tip on Adding Office 2008 Icon to the Dock
One of the first things I did after installing Office 2008 was to poof away the various Office 2008 icons from the dock. I like being able to access the Office applications from the dock - just did not care for the clutter. I replaced the icons with the Microsoft Office 2008 folder by dragging it from the Applications folder to the dock. This works great but you wind up with generic looking Leopard folder icon on the dock. The following is how to add the Office 2008 icon to the dock. First, open your Microsoft Office 2008 folder and create a new folder named /Office 2008 Icon. It ...

How will I do Excel user-defined function to extract letters from string
How will I extract letters from this string like... to: AB-123456-45 AB BCD-678901-23 BCD E-23454 E if I this bottom code extract numbers from a the same string: Function ExtractNum(rCell As Range) Dim iCount As Integer, i As Integer Dim sText As String Dim lNum As String sText = rCell For iCount = Len(sText) To 1 Step -1 If IsNumeric(Mid(sText, iCount, 1)) Then i = i + 1 lNum = Mid(sText, iCount, 1) & lNum End If If i = 1 Then lNum = CInt(Mid(lNum, 1, 1)) Next iCount ExtractNum ...

Base unit description issue for a consulting company
Hi, I am working in a company which is a Microsoft Partner, and our major business is training and consulting of Microsoft and Oracle softwares. We are just implementing Microsoft CRM 3.0, but during a base unit definition, we could not find a basic solution how to describe a correct base unit. All the samples in the manuals and guides are formed as galons, liters,kilograms, packs, cases,etc. However we describe our products with a measure of hour which is officially brief explained in our catalogs(for example "MCSE 2003 full training packet" is a 180 hours product). The ques...

adding edges to pictures?
I am new to publisher and wanting to learn how to soften edges to pictures for marketing brochures. With a Paint Program. This is a new, free download that takes the place of MS Paint... http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/ -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "carter" <carter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5437224F-023E-45AA-A1B6-C8F18318CE84@microsoft.com... >I am new to publisher and wanting to learn how to soften edges to pictures > for marketing brochures. ...

Item lookup at POS is missing Sub Descriptions from results box.
For example with a liquor environment, if all the bottle sizes are in one of the sub descriptions or even the extended. How would you find a specific bottle by description and one of the SUB or EXTENDED descriptions? Is there a way to add the SUB/EXT to the results box? Any info is greatly appreciated. -- Greg The only way you will be able to get around this is if there is somebody that has an add-on with advanced item search functionality. I agree that all check boxes that are selected in the Find window should also add those as columns in the search results. -- Andy Miller RVP...

Adding hyperlink to view detail
Hello, I have a basic filter on a field which populates the results. Now I'm trying to add a hyperlink for every result - opening a new window to detail view. ClientID Custname Show Detail 11111 Roberts (Hyperlink to = 'Roberts' view product detail) Is this possible? Thanks in advance. ...

Adding a rectangle to a table cell
I would like to add a rectangle to a table cell. However, when I try to do so I receive an error message stating the "Object does not support this action". Could someone please provide me with an example of: Adding a rectangle to a table cell Adding some text to the rectangle Setting the Back and Fore color of the rectangle Thanks to all in advance and have a Happy New Year! Brian For all intents and purposes, a table cell IS a rectangle. You can add text directly to it, set its color and so on. Depending on what you're after, you could add a rectangle atop...

Error: Could not install custom action. Object not found.
What do I need to do getting this error message when trying to create a new email or calendar entry in Outlook 2007? Thanks.... Sonja;114099 Wrote: > What do I need to do getting this error message when trying to create a > new email or calendar entry in Outlook 2007? Did this error just start occurring? If so, what changed on your PC just before the error started. If it has always appeared since installing Outlook, describe exactly how you installed Outlook and how you created your mail profile. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] http://forums.slipstick.com ...

Array Function recalculate much slower in 2003 vs. 2000
I have a workbook with 40 cells on one sheet containing array functions that sum over a 15,000 row table in another sheet, like: {=sum(if(range1='w',if(range2='x',if(range3='y',if (range4='z',range5)))))} Originally developed in Excel 2000, the first time I opened the workbook in Excel 2003 it took 2 hours to open using 100% CPU. After the initial opening calculation I can save the workbook and subsequent openings are not a problem. I understand E-2003 calculates the entire workbook the first time it opens from a previous version, which explains why...

How to save a list of custom words in a rule to a text file, or to copy the list?
Hello How to save a list of custom words in a rule to a text file, or to copy the list? You can't. I import/export or copy the rule (depends whether it's in the Wizard already) and edit the rule conditions. In some cases this goes faster then inserting the list. -- Roady www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mailbox Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove ...

using lookup function in vba
I am trying to use the lookup function in my vba code. I'm using excel 2003. Here is what I have so far, but it isn't working. I'm getting the error "unable to get the lookup property of the worksheet function class" Dim name As String name = Range("e800") Dim Start As Integer Start = Application.WorksheetFunction.Lookup(name, "Q800:Q881", "t800:t881") This last line is what is highlighted I'm kind of new to this stuff, so I realize this may sound simple, but I'm having trouble getting it to work and any help ...

userform (custom dialog)
How do i go about making a user form in excel? a custom dialog? is there a step by step available for this? i have a paper form that has a few q's and i would like to incorporate that in to here and have it stored into its worksheets. thanks a bunch! Hi Here are some sites with free tutorials. http://maths.sci.shu.ac.uk/units/ioa/ http://www.tutorialbox.com/ http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm#tutorials Microsoft Excel for Windows -- Visual Basic for Applications 101 VBA 101, meaning, of course, an introductory course in VBA http://support.microsoft.com/support/excel...

SharePoint AD Group with FBA
I have configured SharePoint Site with Form Based Authentication to Active Directory, and it works. However, if I add AD Group to SharePoint Group for FBA Site, the user inside AD Group is still unable to login to the site. I have configured both Membership Provider and Role Provider in the web.config and enable it in the SharePoint Central Administration Authentication provider. Any idea how to solve this? Currently, I also enable both Windows Authentication and FBA that both authenticate to AD. However, user that has created "My Site" in Windows Authentation will not be ...

customize public folder
Hi, I have exchange server 2003, on a windows 2003 server environment. 1) I want to remove or hide the "favorites" folder under the public folder tree? 2) May I not to use the existing public folder tree structure? Public folder --> All Public folders --> (Company contacts) Public folder --> (Company contacts) Thanks, On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:32:25 +0800, "Classmate" <NoEmailAddress@abc.com.hk> wrote: >Hi, > > > > I have exchange server 2003, on a windows 2003 server environment. > > > >1)...

Form Customization not showing
I added a new field using deployment manager, I then customized the form for opportunities to use this field, and it shows up in the previews and when I edit the customization, but not when I create a enw opportunity, any ideas ? Hi, Did you try to restart the iis server? >-----Original Message----- >I added a new field using deployment manager, I then >customized the form for opportunities to use this field, >and it shows up in the previews and when I edit the >customization, but not when I create a enw opportunity, >any ideas ? >. > For Form and Form Previ...

Mapping of AD and Project Server 2007 fields during synchronizatio
I did synchronization of project server 2007 with AD . and it is succeded . now some fields of AD are not matching with Resource center field of project web access. like Manager in AD and TimeManager in Resource Center . and also I need to enter company emploee code in AD when the employee hired and registered in AD. and when we synchronized we get the employee code also in Project server 2007. but in AD there is no any field of Code. which i can map. I found a utility of ResourceSync which can be use to mapping of different header of AD with the required header of resource shee...

Multi Functional Printers
I was wondering if there is a list which shows what all in one machines like printer, fax photocpier machines are compatible with Great Plains V8. I don't think any of the printers on the official list of compatible printers are multifunction, but for what it's worth, we have used numerous HP multifunction printers and have never had a problem. -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Ervin" <Ervin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E12E42C3-BE23-4C97-A9F1-BF1A5C07BE09@microsoft.com... >I was wondering if there is a list which shows what all in one machines ...