6 digit number with leading zeroes

I'm entering in these "Bates" numbers, such as

000001 (start);
000052; and
001952 (end)

How can I design a custom number format such that if I only enter in
the actual numerical value, i.e.,

'1' for '000001'

Excel will automatically prefix the number with the correct number of
zeroes, to always make a six digit expression?

another example given,

'1952' for '001952'

Thanks in advance,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

Enter 000000 as the Custom Format via Format Cells.

--
Regards,

Jake Marx
www.longhead.com

Vinnie wrote:
> I'm entering in these "Bates" numbers, such as
>
> 000001 (start);
> 000052; and
> 001952 (end)
>
> How can I design a custom number format such that if I only enter in
> the actual numerical value, i.e.,
>
> '1' for '000001'
>
> Excel will automatically prefix the number with the correct number of
> zeroes, to always make a six digit expression?
>
> another example given,
>
> '1952' for '001952'
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Vinnie
0
msnews5827 (33)
10/17/2003 4:36:42 PM
Format -> Cells Under the Number tab choose custom and enter
000000

Dan E

"Vinnie" <vinnienagu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8da91103.0310170826.101db30e@posting.google.com...
> I'm entering in these "Bates" numbers, such as
>
> 000001 (start);
> 000052; and
> 001952 (end)
>
> How can I design a custom number format such that if I only enter in
> the actual numerical value, i.e.,
>
> '1' for '000001'
>
> Excel will automatically prefix the number with the correct number of
> zeroes, to always make a six digit expression?
>
> another example given,
>
> '1952' for '001952'
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Vinnie

1.  Select the column or range you want to format
2.  click Format--Cells--Number--Custom
3.  Click the zero under General
4.  In the Type box enter 6 zeros

ok
:)

Vinnie,

Just set the cell format to Custom and in the Type box set
the format to 000000

0
anonymous (74722)

auto number index snafu
I have a 2003 DB I've been adding to for 2 years. It's at 423 records = now. I export to a PDF for simpler searching and viewing. Using the search the other day, I went to grab DVD 186, on carousel tower= 2. And what came up didn't match the record. The index was totally screwed. I went thru all 423 records and created a numeric index by hand. The auto number field is useless. But I would still prefer an auto number field. Trouble is when I create the auto number field, it's still off the actual numbers of the records.. ie: 99-100 is actually 99-186,187, 188, 189 100-385,...

Auto assign Lot Numbers in PO receiving
Hi! Has anyone made a customization to auto assign Lot numbers upon item receipt? My client's lot number is numeric, they want the system to auto assign this. Any ideas? Thanks! -- Marisol Mortera Marisol, Yes indeed, I created one for a client. You probably will not be able to use it as-is because of some client specific functionality but I'm sure you could use this as a stepping stone. The key features were that it would allow for rapid lot number entry by a. Auto-incrementing the lot number - we had Alphanumeric lot numbers so we added a suffix and b. copy the previous lo...

Dates in fomula showing as whole number

Why is Excel changing the last 2 digits of a 17 digit num to 00.
When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to 00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this 'feature'. How do I make Excel recongize the large number? On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:09:01 -0700, "Allie" <Allie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to >00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this >'feature'. Excel Specifications and Limits: Calculation specifications Feature Maximu...

Too many different cell formats #6

Ordering by number and text
I use a report to print out checklists that in the detail section have item number to delineate each checklist item. The item numbers as an example are 1-1, 1-2, 1-2a, 1-2b, or 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-3a, 2-3b and so on. The report is grouped by checklist section and the grouping works perfectly but when the report is printed the item numbers are ordered in this order 1-1, 1-10, 1-11, 1-2, 1-3, 1-3a, 1-3b, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-9. Obviously I want the the order to be in proper numerical sequence where 1-10 comes after 1-9. but even replacing the '-' with a decimal point doesn't ...

matching columns of numbers

Zero filling a number field
I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but can't figure out how. Any ideas? You don''t say where you're trying to do this, but basically Format(YourAutoNumber, "000000") pdlginternet@aol.com wrote: >I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but >can't figure out how. Any ideas? -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200711/1 You can't do that wi...

How do I change numbers to negative without re-typing?
I have a large range of data that needs to be changed to negative numbers, Can I do this in Excel? ...

Determine number of rows with data

Converting number to text

Sequentially number lines automatically

CRM 3.0
Folks Any way that we can assign leads / opportunities / other entities to teams rather than individuals? All the best Hany Hi Hany, Team ownership is not supported in CRM 3.0. Could you describe your scenario, and maybe we could provide some alternatives? Thanks -- Jay Grewal Microsoft Dynamics CRM This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. "Electronic Workplace" <info@electronicworkplace.LoseThisBit.com> wrote in message news:O0cfzAT$FHA.140@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Folks > > Any way that we can assign leads /...

IE 6/ActiveX assert in CTLNOWND.CPP line 305
Hello, I have a problem with an ActiveX inside a web page. A random ASSERT in CTLNOWND.CPP line 305 occours during a GetDC first call. It's seems wnd handle is still NULL (it begin valid immediatly after). If I retard calling putting a button in html page it work. CDC* COleControl::GetDC(LPCRECT lprcRect, DWORD dwFlags) { ASSERT((m_hWnd != NULL) || (m_bInPlaceSiteWndless && m_bInPlaceActive)); ..... This problem occours random (more times on faster machines and in release mode) and just on "init" time on my control. Probably my control does this operation in ...

Excel Number Format Codes
I can't figure out how to format numbers so that when you type 3220 it will look like 32.20 kinda like how you can enter numbers on an adding machine. I would greatly appreciate this number format code. Thank you. -- 1:~ Hi, I think you want to go Tools | Options | Edit | Fixed Decimals - 2. That will divide all the numbers you enter by 100. You will also have to format the row or column to display 2 decimals. Select the cells or range, right mouse click, format cells, numbers, 2 decimals. Hope that helps. Best regards, Kevin "MBB" <MBB@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Receivings Number
Hi, When I am doing my purchase receiving at the Receivings Entry, I sometimes encounter some problem which the Receivings Number. For example, suppose the new receivings number should be REC/03/000004, but this number REC/03/000005 is given to me instead. What could be the possible cause of the missing receivings number:REC/03/000004. (this no. is not used by anyone). Please advise or tell me how can I avoid. Thanks in advance. I believe it's when someone started to do a receivings but then deleted it. It already increments to the next number. You can prevent deleting of documen...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

AutoFilter #6
Thanks for the help. I am using Excel XP. I have a list of items that come from an Oracle Database. They are vehicle numbers that begin with a 0. (028,034,039,056, etc) I have an autofilter and want to filter out numbers >= 028 and <= 039. I always get an empty set returned to me. I assume this is because these are text items rather than numbers. Is there a way to accomplish this filter with text? Hmmm, not really sure if this is what you mean but have you tried puting a ' infront of the number, it denotes it as text. (It is under the " key) >-----Original Messag...

Fill Zeros on Account Segment
Is there a way to have an account segment automatically fill with zeros if the users tabs through the segment? Yes, you can use a free tool called Lookup Plus from Rockton Software www.RocktonSoftware.com HS "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bdbd01c48958$2c32ca70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have an account segment automatically > fill with zeros if the users tabs through the segment? I have Lookup Plus installed and as near as I can tell it doesn't fill in zeros for you. HSalim wrote: > Yes, you can use a free ...

Counting the number of times more than 1 variable occurs
I need to determine how many Separations were processed by a particular salesperson. A | B 1 MIKE | SEPARATION 2 MIKE | LEAVE 3 SARA | SEPARATION 4 JOE | SEPARATION 5 JAMIE | LEAVE 6 MIKE | LEAVE 7 JOE | LEAVE 8 SARA | SEPARATION The only way I can think of is the COUNTIF Funtion *COUNTIF(-range,criteria-)* =COUNTIF(A1:A8,(A1:A8="MIKE")*(B1:B8="SEPARATION")) This does not work though. The results return 0 with no errors when the answer should be 1. does anyone else know of a wa...

Advanced Security #6
I am setting up security access for new users using Advanced Security. I am using the by Menu view as my primary navigation tool. However, there are a number of objects within the by Menu view that I am not allowed to change. They appear with a "?" next to the description. Some of them I can locate by navigating through the by Dictionary view. However, there are several that I cannot locate (example: Tools --> Utilities --> Project --> Service Utilities --> Create Routine Master). Is there a guide that crossreferences objects between the menu and dictionary ...

number of lines on a word document
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I want to produce a long, double-spaced document with the same number of lines on each page, not one that flips to a new page if the end paragraph is too large to fit. Can anyone help? Maintaining a constant number of lines per page is dependent on at least 2 factors: 1- Using the same font & font size throughout, & 2- Turning off Widow/Orphan control in Format> Paragraph - Line & Page Breaks. Due to the proportional spacing considerations of modern word processing -- which is more closely akin to typesetting than typewr...

Counting number of words in a sentence and highlighting or commenting
Hi, I found some old code, from Helmut of Bavaria I believe, that is supposed to find long sentences in a document: Sub test002() Dim rDcm As Range ' the documents main story range Dim oWrd As Object ' a word Dim oSnt As Object ' a sentence Dim oPrg As Paragraph ' a paragraph Dim lWrd As Long ' a counter for words Dim lSnt As Long ' a counter for sentences Dim lPrg As Long ' a counter for paragraphs Set rDcm = ActiveDocument.Range For Each oPrg In rDcm.Paragraphs lPrg = lPrg + 1 lSnt = 0 For Each oSnt I...

Show zero values
When a formula returns a zero value, the zero value is not being displayed. I have reviewed the following: - conditional formatting - zero values are checked (Tools/Options/View) - stepped through my VB code (it inserts formulae based on a Worksheet Change event) - locked and hidden values unchecked with and without protection (this should have no effect when the sheet is unprotected) Are there any other circumstances that result in a zero value not being displayed? Are there any other reasons for this occurrence? Cheers John Check also normal cell formatting! there are formats that hide ...