"What This ?" button

In earlier versions of Excel there was a button on the task bar that you
could click on and when you placed it over an icon it would tell you what
that icon did.  This is not in Excel 2003.
0
ofo8227 (1)

Doesn't just hovering the mouse over the button show you its tooltip?

--

HTH

RP

"ofo8227" <ofo8227@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In earlier versions of Excel there was a button on the task bar that you
> could click on and when you placed it over an icon it would tell you what
> that icon did.  This is not in Excel 2003.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/18/2005 5:15:35 PM
Anf if it doesn't, try this:

<Tools> <Customize> <Options> tab,

And *CHECK* "Show Screen Tips On Toolbars".
--

HTH,

RD

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
Doesn't just hovering the mouse over the button show you its tooltip?

--

HTH

RP

"ofo8227" <ofo8227@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In earlier versions of Excel there was a button on the task bar that you
> could click on and when you placed it over an icon it would tell you what
> that icon did.  This is not in Excel 2003.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/18/2005 9:05:49 PM
I don't use xl2003, but maybe that "what's this" icon is still available to add
to your favorite toolbar.

(It's still there in xl2002.)

Tools|customize|Commands tab|"Windows and Help" category

(It's at the bottom of the list in xl2002.)

ofo8227 wrote:

> In earlier versions of Excel there was a button on the task bar that you
> could click on and when you placed it over an icon it would tell you what
> that icon did.  This is not in Excel 2003.

--

Dave Peterson
0

In dialog boxes that still show the button, clicking it will open Help,
instead of providing information on a clicked item.

If you'd like to suggest its reinstatement, you can send suggestions to:

       mswish@microsoft.com

Put "Excel" in the subject line, so your suggestion will be forwarded to
the Excel product managers.

ofo8227 wrote:
> In earlier versions of Excel there was a button on the task bar that you
> could click on and when you placed it over an icon it would tell you what
> that icon did.  This is not in Excel 2003.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
1/19/2005 12:33:23 AM
Did you lose the ability to add it to a toolbar, too?

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> The "What's This" feature has been removed from the Help menu, and from
> the dialog boxes.
>
> In dialog boxes that still show the button, clicking it will open Help,
> instead of providing information on a clicked item.
>
> If you'd like to suggest its reinstatement, you can send suggestions to:
>
>        mswish@microsoft.com
>
> Put "Excel" in the subject line, so your suggestion will be forwarded to
> the Excel product managers.
>
> ofo8227 wrote:
> > In earlier versions of Excel there was a button on the task bar that you
> > could click on and when you placed it over an icon it would tell you what
> > that icon did.  This is not in Excel 2003.
>
> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
1/19/2005 12:56:23 AM
Yes, it's gone from the Customize dialog box.

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Did you lose the ability to add it to a toolbar, too?
>
> Debra Dalgleish wrote:
>
>>The "What's This" feature has been removed from the Help menu, and from
>>the dialog boxes.
>>
>>In dialog boxes that still show the button, clicking it will open Help,
>>instead of providing information on a clicked item.
>>
>>If you'd like to suggest its reinstatement, you can send suggestions to:
>>
>>       mswish@microsoft.com
>>
>>Put "Excel" in the subject line, so your suggestion will be forwarded to
>>the Excel product managers.
>>
>>ofo8227 wrote:
>>
>>>In earlier versions of Excel there was a button on the task bar that you
>>>could click on and when you placed it over an icon it would tell you what
>>>that icon did.  This is not in Excel 2003.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
1/19/2005 1:09:16 AM
In xl2002, I can shift-F1 and get that "what's this?" pointer.

That gone, too?

And I could shift-f1 on a selected item and get that tooltip like help.

That gone, too?

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> Yes, it's gone from the Customize dialog box.
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
> > Did you lose the ability to add it to a toolbar, too?
> >
> > Debra Dalgleish wrote:
> >
> >>The "What's This" feature has been removed from the Help menu, and from
> >>the dialog boxes.
> >>
> >>In dialog boxes that still show the button, clicking it will open Help,
> >>instead of providing information on a clicked item.
> >>
> >>If you'd like to suggest its reinstatement, you can send suggestions to:
> >>
> >>       mswish@microsoft.com
> >>
> >>Put "Excel" in the subject line, so your suggestion will be forwarded to
> >>the Excel product managers.

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List