"Show Placeholder" feature in options/view doesnt work

I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help.

To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a blank box. Am I missing something?

"Show Placeholders" in options/view menu does'nt work. #2
[...]

Disable images in message content (outlook 2003)
Hi, I'm surprised I couldn't find a similar question in this group, although it would more than likely have already passed on into archive. Anyway, no matter what settings I use I still get inline images in my emails (already played with settings under tools...options.... Sometimes messages from outside outlook get turned into placeholders, sometimes they don't. I'm not really interested why some are converted and some are not (probably due to the sender's setup). I want the images to be turned off whether the emails are coming from internal or external (anywhere). Th...