=IF statement

I have a column of numbers that I am trying to perform =IF statement on.  I
keep getting TRUE or FALSE in my cells.   How do I actually get the number
there instead of the TRUE  or FALSE

Thank you in advance

0
Dick (55)

Hi Dick

here's some examples of how to use the IF function
=IF(A1>10,A1,B1)
displays the values in the cell references

=IF(A1>10,2,5)
displays the values 2 (if true) or 5 (if false)

=IF(A1>10,A1*1.1,A1*1.05)
if true, displays the value of A1 plus 10%, if false displays the value of
A1 plus 5%

=IF(A1>10,"Good","Bad")
returns the text values Good or Bad.

=IF(A1>10,IF(A1>20,"Very Good","Good"),IF(A1>5,"Bad","Shocking"))
nested IF to return the values of Very Good (if over 20), Good (if over 10),
Bad (if over 5) and Shocking if 5 or under.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea of the different ways an IF function
can be used.

Regards
julieD

"Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a column of numbers that I am trying to perform =IF statement on.  I
> keep getting TRUE or FALSE in my cells.   How do I actually get the number
> there instead of the TRUE  or FALSE
>
> Thank you in advance

0
JulieD1 (2295)
11/26/2004 11:55:36 PM
Dick

Paste the formula you have

IF uses the syntax

=IF(Test,Do_This_If_True,Else_Do_This)

Do you have all three arguments?

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a column of numbers that I am trying to perform =IF statement on.  I
> keep getting TRUE or FALSE in my cells.   How do I actually get the number
> there instead of the TRUE  or FALSE
>
> Thank you in advance

Nick I have all the arguments correct but for the life of me I don't get the
values only TRUE or FALSE
Maybe I can send you the spreadsheet and see what you come up with

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

> Dick
>
> Paste the formula you have
>
> IF uses the syntax
>
> =IF(Test,Do_This_If_True,Else_Do_This)
>
> Do you have all three arguments?
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
>

> "Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a column of numbers that I am trying to perform =IF statement on.  I
> > keep getting TRUE or FALSE in my cells.   How do I actually get the number
> > there instead of the TRUE  or FALSE
> >
> > Thank you in advance

0
Dick (55)
11/27/2004 12:37:08 AM
Julie I know how to use it but I don't get numbers there only TRUE or False
Maybe I can send you the spreadsheet and you can try it yourself
Dick

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi Dick
>
> here's some examples of how to use the IF function
> =IF(A1>10,A1,B1)
> displays the values in the cell references
>
> =IF(A1>10,2,5)
> displays the values 2 (if true) or 5 (if false)
>
> =IF(A1>10,A1*1.1,A1*1.05)
> if true, displays the value of A1 plus 10%, if false displays the value of
> A1 plus 5%
>
> =IF(A1>10,"Good","Bad")
> returns the text values Good or Bad.
>
> =IF(A1>10,IF(A1>20,"Very Good","Good"),IF(A1>5,"Bad","Shocking"))
> nested IF to return the values of Very Good (if over 20), Good (if over 10),
> Bad (if over 5) and Shocking if 5 or under.
>
> Hope this gives you a bit of an idea of the different ways an IF function
> can be used.
>
> Regards
> julieD
>

> "Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a column of numbers that I am trying to perform =IF statement on.  I
> > keep getting TRUE or FALSE in my cells.   How do I actually get the number
> > there instead of the TRUE  or FALSE
> >
> > Thank you in advance

0
Dick (55)
11/27/2004 12:37:09 AM
Hi Dick

yep, send it to me as this doesn't make much sense (julied_ng  at hcts  dot
net dot au)

> Julie I know how to use it but I don't get numbers there only TRUE or
> False
> Maybe I can send you the spreadsheet and you can try it yourself
> Dick
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dick
>>
>> here's some examples of how to use the IF function
>> =IF(A1>10,A1,B1)
>> displays the values in the cell references
>>
>> =IF(A1>10,2,5)
>> displays the values 2 (if true) or 5 (if false)
>>
>> =IF(A1>10,A1*1.1,A1*1.05)
>> if true, displays the value of A1 plus 10%, if false displays the value
>> of
>> A1 plus 5%
>>
>> =IF(A1>10,"Good","Bad")
>> returns the text values Good or Bad.
>>
>> =IF(A1>10,IF(A1>20,"Very Good","Good"),IF(A1>5,"Bad","Shocking"))
>> nested IF to return the values of Very Good (if over 20), Good (if over
>> 10),
>> Bad (if over 5) and Shocking if 5 or under.
>>
>> Hope this gives you a bit of an idea of the different ways an IF function
>> can be used.
>>
>> Regards
>> julieD
>>

>> "Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a column of numbers that I am trying to perform =IF statement on.
>> > keep getting TRUE or FALSE in my cells.   How do I actually get the
>> > number
>> > there instead of the TRUE  or FALSE
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance

0
JulieD1 (2295)
11/27/2004 2:23:03 AM
What is your formula, and what values are in the cells that the formula
refers to?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/27/2004 2:38:14 AM
Debre here is the formula.  =IF(O1,O1=>100,O1+O1*.05)
All I am doing is applying it to a column of numbers,  I can send the
spreadsheet but I will need your email.  I don't think I can attach it here
Dick

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> What is your formula, and what values are in the cells that the formula
> refers to?
>
> Dick wrote:
> > Nick I have all the arguments correct but for the life of me I don't get the
> > values only TRUE or FALSE
> > Maybe I can send you the spreadsheet and see what you come up with
> >

> > "Nick Hodge" wrote:
> >

> >>Dick
> >>
> >>Paste the formula you have
> >>
> >>IF uses the syntax
> >>
> >>=IF(Test,Do_This_If_True,Else_Do_This)
> >>
> >>Do you have all three arguments?
> >>
> >>--
> >>HTH
> >>Nick Hodge
> >>Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >>Southampton, England
> >>nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
> >>

> >>"Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dick (55)
11/27/2004 11:55:02 AM
Your formula says:

   If there is something in cell O1
      Then whatever is in cell O1 is greater than or equal to 100
             (this part will result in either TRUE or FALSE)
      Otherwise add the contents of cell O1 and O1*.05

What do you really want the formula to do?

For example, you could change the formula to:

    =IF(O1>=100,O1*1.05,O1)

That formula says:

   If whatever is in cell O1 is greater than or equal to 100
      Multiply O1*1.05
      Otherwise, return O1

Dick wrote:
> Debre here is the formula.  =IF(O1,O1=>100,O1+O1*.05)
> All I am doing is applying it to a column of numbers,  I can send the
> spreadsheet but I will need your email.  I don't think I can attach it here
> Dick
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>

>>What is your formula, and what values are in the cells that the formula
>>refers to?
>>
>>Dick wrote:
>>
>>>Nick I have all the arguments correct but for the life of me I don't get the
>>>values only TRUE or FALSE
>>>Maybe I can send you the spreadsheet and see what you come up with

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/27/2004 12:59:24 PM
OK I tried that and Now all I get is VALUE in the cell, still no numbers

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> Your formula says:
>
>    If there is something in cell O1
>       Then whatever is in cell O1 is greater than or equal to 100
>              (this part will result in either TRUE or FALSE)
>       Otherwise add the contents of cell O1 and O1*.05
>
> What do you really want the formula to do?
>
> For example, you could change the formula to:
>
>     =IF(O1>=100,O1*1.05,O1)
>
> That formula says:
>
>    If whatever is in cell O1 is greater than or equal to 100
>       Multiply O1*1.05
>       Otherwise, return O1
>
> Dick wrote:
> > Debre here is the formula.  =IF(O1,O1=>100,O1+O1*.05)
> > All I am doing is applying it to a column of numbers,  I can send the
> > spreadsheet but I will need your email.  I don't think I can attach it here
> > Dick
> >
> > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
> >

> >>What is your formula, and what values are in the cells that the formula
> >>refers to?

> >>--
> >>Debra Dalgleish
> >>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> >>http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
> >>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dick (55)
11/27/2004 1:31:01 PM
Make sure you used the letter oh and the number zero correctly in that formula:
=IF(o1>=100,o1*1.05,o1)

And when I had a number in O1, it worked fine for me.

Dick wrote:

> OK I tried that and Now all I get is VALUE in the cell, still no numbers
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>
> > Your formula says:
> >
> >    If there is something in cell O1
> >       Then whatever is in cell O1 is greater than or equal to 100
> >              (this part will result in either TRUE or FALSE)
> >       Otherwise add the contents of cell O1 and O1*.05
> >
> > What do you really want the formula to do?
> >
> > For example, you could change the formula to:
> >
> >     =IF(O1>=100,O1*1.05,O1)
> >
> > That formula says:
> >
> >    If whatever is in cell O1 is greater than or equal to 100
> >       Multiply O1*1.05
> >       Otherwise, return O1
> >
> > Dick wrote:
> > > Debre here is the formula.  =IF(O1,O1=>100,O1+O1*.05)
> > > All I am doing is applying it to a column of numbers,  I can send the
> > > spreadsheet but I will need your email.  I don't think I can attach it here
> > > Dick

> > --
> > Debra Dalgleish
> > Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> > http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

if statements #18
i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to create an IF statement where i want to compare a a set criteria to a result and give it 1 mark it it makes the criteria and then and extra 1 point for ever 5% it is above the criteria Can you provide an example? Biff "tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A712561-AFC6-4AFB-89AB-C217B1180B25@microsoft.com... >i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to create an IF statement where >i > want to compare a a set criteria to a result and give it 1 mark it it > makes > the criteria and then...

Use of Double quotes in VBA IF Statement
I want to test a field to see if it is empty. In a spreaadsheet, I can use double quotes, but in VBA it doesn't work. Can you help? Target(1, 5).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC9="","","Not Empty")" --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You have to use extra quotes "=IF(RC9="""","""",""Not Empty"")" -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "steveski >" <<steveski.11qu8z@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:steveski.11qu8z@excelforum-nospam.com... > I wa...

if then statements #3
Help! If cell A1 has an AM time entered (e.g. 7:00am), then cell B1 = the next date (e.g. 1/6/05). Is this possible? do you mean =IF(A1<0.5, Today(),Today()+1) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Atlanta Rudy" <AtlantaRudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12615F96-B198-434F-B5D8-75533498F615@microsoft.com... > Help! > > If cell A1 has an AM time entered (e.g. 7:00am), then cell B1 = the next > date (e.g. 1/6/05). Is this possible? > > > > > > Rudy, Be aware that the formula s...

Shorten long IF statement.
I'm looking for a way to shorten a long IF statement. Column A: contains a pulldown with 5 possible duct types (ie: Grease, Rectangular, Round, etc...) Column B: is the width of the duct. Column C: is the height of the duct. Column F: quantity of ductwrap required based on duct type and measurements. I was hoping to enter my 5 different formulas somewhere in my spreadsheet (out of sight) and have a nested IF statement making reference to the appropriate hidden cell to retrieve the correct formula instead of having a super long formula. The problem is that my page will allo...

Need correct conditional statement language
I want to make the following into a conditional statement. Please let me know exactly how it should look. The basic formula is as follows: Balance (column name): IIF ([field name1]>$0.00, then [field name2]-[field name1] OR IIF [field name]1=$0.00 or NULL AND IIF [field name3]<=$0.00 or NULL, then [field name2] OR IIF [field name1]=$0.00 or NULL AND IIF [field name3]>$0.00, then [field name2]-([field name3]+[field name4]) Cloudbuster, Balance (column name): IIF ([field name1]>$0.00, [field name2]-[field name1],IIF [field name]1=$0.00 or [field name] is NULL AND [field n...

Statement Email Body
Bonjour! Is there a way to add a message body when we Email the statement with Routines->Sales->Statement. We can put a subject but I didn't saw a place to put a message body. Regards, Joel :) Joe, E-mail body feature is not available in Customer Statements Option to my knowledge. However, You may want to try the new Support Debugging Tool that has an option to Sen E-Mail with E-mail body feature is available. Whether it helps you in sending customer statements is something you can give a try because I didnt try the new tool yet honestly though it had a lot interesting to ...

BIG IF statement problem
I can not get this if statement to work any suggestions. =IF(M11>25%,"1%",IF(M11>33%,"4%",IF(M11>40%,"4.5%",IF(M11>45%,"5%",IF(M11>55%,"7%",IF(M11>60%,"7%",IF(M11>65%,"7.5%",IF(M11>70%,"8%",IF(M11>75%,"8.5%",IF(M11>80%,"9%",IF(M11>85%,"10%",IF(M11>90%,"11%",IF(M11>95%,"13%",IF(M11>100%,"15%",IF(M11>110%,"16%",IF(M11>120%,"18%",IF(M11>130%,"19%",IF(M11>140%,"20%"...

Downloaded statements to read on 2006 Premium & Vista.
Hello All, I recently got a new hp system with Vista Home on it. Well i got Vista BLUES NOW! So installed my copy of MS Moeny 2006 Premium in this system, and since i cannot download my bank statement into the program. 1st issue - i use citibank's website to download my banking activity. Internet Explorer open citi's web on a diferent screen, once i go to download activity it open like a zillion new screens that citi's web site logs me off. ----My work araound is to use the back browser button on the tab that is left and blank and download again from it to my desktop. i dont...

IF statements #8
I am currently developing some VB Code for procedures within my department. I am having some trouble with a piece of code that SHOULD work but doesn't and I can't seem to work out why. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. I have an input box asking for various bit of data, 1 bit of data is an account reference ('AccRef' in code) this reference will be 3 alpha and 5 numerical characters eg LGD12345. I want to check that the first 2 digit are 'LG' and have the following code to do this - If Left(AccRef, 2) = "lg" The...

Accounts Recievable Statements
Hello, A client would like to know if there is a default button to preview the statments first before it gets emailed I am aware that the client would have to change the email statements option to Print Statements first than run the statments than change to Send Email Customer Statements option for each statement group located on the Print Receivables Statements window. The client is aware that they need to flip between the options but they don't really like to have to change the settings. Also the cleint would like to know when statements are generated why is it generating auto...

can anyone recomend a credit card that supports direct statements
I'm looking for people to post credit card companies they've used which support direct statements. As of now, I know of only one (thanks to Chris Cowles' post in this forum earlier which I've confirmed with a phone call to Bank One) "...I use BankOne for a Visa card (formerly FirstUSA) because they support direct statement downloads... -- Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL" So here's the list: Credit Card companies support direct statements: 1) Bank One 2) ??? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, rk wrote: >I'm looking for people to post credit card co...

Stuck on If Statement
I am trying to do do an if statement, or look up, where in my cell I want to check whether a certain number exists within a range of columns. If it does, I want to show the number, and if not, it will show nothing, ie "". So the column A:A. I want to have a formula to say: if any value in A:A = 100, show 100. I will then use conditional formatting to highlight this number. TIA =if(countif(a:a,100)=0,"",100) Jim wrote: > > I am trying to do do an if statement, or look up, where in my cell I want to > check whether a certain number exis...

Creating an XML document based on XPath statements
Nice tool! I am looking for something that will do the reverse. I have a whole bunch of XPath statements and I need to use them to generate and populate an XML document. I have mapping file that maps my data to a specific XPath. For example: Field# XPath 1 /LOAN/_APPLICATION/ASSET/@_Type 2 /LOAN/_APPLICATION/RESPA_FEE/_PAYMENT/@_IncludedInAPRIndicator etc. Do I have to parse every line myself or is there a .NET class that will do this for me? I was hoping to find a function such as CreateAttribute(string XPath, string data). For example: CreateAttribute(&q...

getting a sumif statement to work across multiple files
Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to get a sumif statement to wor across different files. Currently I have three files, one for currency conversions, one fo items purchased for specific accounts, and third the cover shee listing balances for all the accounts. The cover sheet has a sumif statement linking once to the currenc conversion file and once to the items purchased file, for differen items. When I do this however, it gives me a '#VALUE' response. As soo as I open the file, it links properly, but once I close it the erro pops up. Also, if I combine the three spreadsheets ...

While/Wend statement
The following code - written in a Form - and activated by double clicking a control-button, is used to move quickly through the records in the underlying query; which in a simple explanation, contains names e.g. Joe, Fred , Sid etc. Each name belongs to one of three groups (group-name = "Set") i.e. Set1,2 & 3 the purpose of having this code, is to quickly get to the beginning of Set 2 without wading through all of Set 1 In all the Access versions prior to Office 2007 this code has worked. Now it seems unable to recognize that the records it is passing through have changed and ca...

if then else statement also using "and"
I am trying to use the following but it isn't working properly. Can someone please advise what I am doing wrong? If Sheets("E").Range("C8").Value = "1" And Sheets("E").Range("C2").Value = "Yes" Then Sheets("1").Select ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True ElseIf Sheets("E").Range("C8").Value = "1" And Sheets("E").Range("C2").Value = "No" Then Sheets("1").Select Rows("24:27").Sel...

joining two iif statements
I would like to combine two iif together. I am able to get the results from a single iif statement but not successful in combining the two. iif([cert master]!Verbiage Like "*Best Buy Gift Card*",0.008,[discount]/3*7) iif ([cert master]!Verbiage Like "*Bath & Body Works*",0.005, [discount]/3*7) I thought a comma would work, but it does not. If I try or it does not calculate correctly. Thank you On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 17:34:01 -0700, Marc <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to combine two iif together. I am able to get the r...

Is there an equation in Excel to use multiple if then statements?
Please post your question in the body of your message, not just in the heading. Some systems cannot cope with "empty" messages. Look in HELP for AND and OR, or post more details of what kind or multiple if statement you need. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Cody5" <Cody5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9F7AF01-ABDB-4AD3-8C54-4D1766F3E633@microsoft.com... > what do you mean by "multiple if then statements"? You can nest them: =IF(condition1, true1, IF(condition2, true2, false2)) you can have multiple if's sequential...

If statement with formatted text
Hi, Is there any way to have an if formula such as: If (A1="Active", "KAE",KPE") where the two letters after the K are formatted as subscript? The best I've done is to paste a picture over the cell. The picture's formula refers to named formula that selects one of two cells, the one with correct string. One cell contains KAE and the other KPE with the subscript. However, it means that I'm using a picture and it would be much nicer if I could just do it in an If formula. I hope that makes some kind of sense, and thanks in advance for your help. D...

get a result of an sql statement in a field ?
Hi there I have an Excel sheet with many lines of data. I would like to know if there is a possibilty to create a field which will execute an sql-statment on an MSsql Database and will return the result. Some thing like (select name from address where uid=$B5) Thanks in advance for any help Ralf I found out that the statement sql.request should do it. But where can I find the addin for Excel 2003 Thanks in advance Ralf "Ralf Meuser" <rmeuser@free.fr> a �crit dans le message de news:40c85d65$0$26917$626a14ce@news.free.fr... > Hi there > > I have an Excel she...

if statements
I'm trying to use an if statement and I'm not sure how to write it... here's what i want to accomplish: If cell H17 is blank or equal to 0 OR if G17-H17=0 then make cell I17 equal to zero, OTHERWISE multiply G17-H17 by 1.5 I'm sure a nested IF statement would get the job done, but I'm not sure how to do it... plz help. TIA M. Stanley Try looking in HELP index for OR and then for IF and put together. If you still need help, post again and you will get help. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "M. Stanley" <meridian@lebois.com> wrote ...

IF statement 02-01-10
I HAVE 2 CELLS WITH DIFFERENT "IF" STATEMENTS Cell Q73 reads =IF(L73>=300000,"3000",IF(L73>=270000,"2700",IF(L73>=240000,"2400",IF(L73>=200000,"2000","0")))) Cell Q74 reads IF(L74>=200000,"3000",IF(L74>=170,000,"2700",IF(L74>=140000,"2400",IF(L74)>=100000,"2100","0")))) Cell F66 has the number 1 Cell F67 has the number 2 I am trying to write a formula that says IF F66 is a "1" use the formula in cell Q73 and if F66 is a "2" use the...

Macro with an IF/OR statement
Need help finding a way to write a macro with an IF/OR statement. Have a report that compiles all the data on a single row. So for each parent, all of their data will be on the same row. At the end of the row, I have created an IF/OR statement that counts the number of children for each parent in that row. I have also created a macro that will allow me to insert additional rows, based on the number in that column at the end of the row. Now trying to find a macro that will copy the children's information off that row to the newly inserted rows below. Not sure if it is possible,...

SQL statement with LIKE need to show Numeric paceholders
I have a need to find 4 digit or 5 digit numbers. strAppend = "INSERT INTO PurchasingTable ( PurchaseOrderNumber, WorksNo, Code, PO_Sum )" _ & " SELECT [OrderNumbers Query1].PurchaseOrderNumber, [OrderNumbers Query1].WorksNo, [OrderNumbers Query1].Code, Sum([OrderNumbers Query1].[SumOfSum Of ExtPrice]) AS PO_Sum" _ & " From [OrderNumbers Query1]" _ & " GROUP BY [OrderNumbers Query1].PurchaseOrderNumber, [OrderNumbers Query1].WorksNo, [OrderNumbers Query1].Code" _ & " HAVING ((([OrderNumbers Query1].WorksNo) Like '%...

Help with code statement
Could someone help me understand what this code snippet is doing? I am new at this and just learning. I am trying to comment this code to understand what is happening but its not completely correct. =IF(COUNTIF(Promotion!$A$2:$A$41,A7)>1,LOOKUP(2,1/(Promotion!$A$2:$A $41=A7),Promotion!$C$2:$C$41),"") =IF (COUNTIF (Promotion!$A$2:$A$41,A7)>1, comments: range is defined and is compared to cell A7 which is person id, if person id is found more than once, then LOOKUP(2,1/(Promotion!$A$2:$A$41=A7), comments: The syntax for the Lookup function is: Lookup( v...