"file" cannot be accessed

Today when I tried to access a file (stored on a jump drive) I have
been using for several months to track my 401-K, I received the
following message:

"'file name' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you
may be trying to access a ready-only location. Or, the server the
document is stored on may not be responding."

This is the only excel file on the jump drive which is not accessible.
Any thoughts on how/if I can recover the information?

Thanks

0
FJB0623 (15)

Can you use windows explorer and copy it to your local harddrive and open from
there?

I would be reluctant to open workbooks (or any Office file) directly from a
removable media (floppy/cd/jump drive).

--

Dave Peterson
0

0
FJB0623 (15)
5/17/2005 1:31:55 AM
That makes it sound like it's not an excel problem.

It sounds to me like the file is really corrupted.  Do you have a backup
somewhere?

Maybe there are tools that can help recover this kind of file--I don't know of
any, though.

FJB wrote:

> When I attempted to copy the file from the jump drive to the C; drive,
> the following error message appeared: �Cannot copy �File Name�: The
> file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.�

--

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
5/17/2005 1:21:02 PM
Make sure you can see hidden files, then look in the
directory for files without and file extension, rename it
to a nice filename with .xls  file extension -- if you find one,
and copy it to your hard drive.  As stated earlier you should
not use removable media directly with Excel.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
---
HTH,

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message news:4289EFBE.8AC5F6F1@netscapeXSPAM.com...
> That makes it sound like it's not an excel problem.
>
> It sounds to me like the file is really corrupted.  Do you have a backup
> somewhere?
>
> Maybe there are tools that can help recover this kind of file--I don't know of
> any, though.
>
> FJB wrote:
> >
> > When I attempted to copy the file from the jump drive to the C; drive,
> > the following error message appeared: "Cannot copy "File Name": The
> > file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Reduce file size in Excel
I have a problem with an Excel file that keeps growing, almost after every Save. And it does that, even if the change in the spreadsheets or in the macros is very samll or zero. I.e. changing a range in a macro or editing a formula in a cell. I use Excel 2000. Any ideas on how to reduce the file size? Open it with the shift key down in another version of Excel, then save & exit. File size could be down by as much as 40%! "M�rten" <marten.nilsson@midroc.se> wrote in message news:0d6301c3daa7$690c8e50$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have a problem with an Excel file that ke...

OL2000
When opening an attachment in OL2000, the program creates a file in a temporary directory on my hard drive under C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK6A2\. This directory is filling up and I would like to clear it. Unfortunately in XP SP2, this directly is not visible in when exploring files in my computer. I believe that I have all "show hidden files and folders" settings checked. Also, the file explorer shows (sometimes) that there is a sub directory under "temporary internet files," but it does not show up when I look further....

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Visio Professional 7
i have several visio files (20-40) pages in each and i need to merge them into a single large visio file... is there a way to do this... inserting a page at a time and copying the drawing is not practical On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:38:01 -0700, sunman <sunman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have several visio files (20-40) pages in each and i need to merge them >into a single large visio file... is there a way to do this... inserting a >page at a time and copying the drawing is not practical I've just added this feature to the utilities at http://www.visio-utilities....

Missing File Names
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC When clicking on an Excel file I get the following message: ':Mac Excel Expander:Mac Excel Expander' could not be found. I also get this message when trying to launch a Word file. I have recently removed Office 2008 and reinstalled 2004. Thanks ...

SOME .docx files open in compatibility mode
Can anyone point me to where I can determine what elements may be causing some DOCX files to open in compatibility mode in word 2007 and word 2010 Beta? What seems strange is that if I open the document, make a change to it and resave it, when re-opened, it will STILL be in compatibility mode. However, if I open the document, do NOT change anything, and then re-save it under a new name and re-open it, then it does NOT open in compatibility mode. All functions and features I use seem to work fine either way including embedded XL spreadsheets. OS: win7Pro32 1.5 GB RAM All fil...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Excel Template Wizard, Very Large File Size
Background: Excel 2000. I created a spreadsheet and used the template wizard that links to an Access 2000 database. The template was later used to create one record and saved as a spreadsheet. The database also contains this one record. Spreadsheet and database work fine. Later I reduced the Access field size properties (none are larger than 150, most are less than 50). There are 35 fields. Unexpected result: The Excel spreadsheet (template) and the linked Access database are huge. The spreadsheet is 35MB and the associated Access 2000 database is 24MB. Each contains one record (a si...

Date & Time file was last saved
Is there away to display in a cell the date & time the file was last saved? I know you can do this in word but is it possible in Excel 2002? Here is an UDF Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function Now you can use the following formula in one of your cells: =DocProps("Last save time") Obviously, the file has to have been saved. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to ...

Odd problem with worksheets when opening file
Okay, here's the odd problem that's come up. When you double click on a excel file, excel opens up, but you can onl see the toolbars. The grid area looks like a snapshot of whatever you current background is before the file opened up. If you were showin your desktop, after the excel file opened, you'd still see your deskto in the datagrid area. If you start up a new excel file, then do the File>Open>file name, th file will open correctly. This problem happens across users here. Everyone is currently runnin office 2K. Any ideas on what causes the problem and any...

Outlook 2002 multiple file opening
In Outlook 2000, CTRL A would select all attached picture files, then Open would, in my case, open the files in Paintshop Pro. With the 2002 version I cannot find a way to do this. Any suggestions? ...

"File: send to mail recipient" not working
When users (on WinXP) select file, "send to mail recipient", no response from Outlook 2002. This occurs either when Outlook is open or closed. Problem happens when rt. clicking on .doc, .xls, .pdf's....all files. Any ideas?? Thanks!! ...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

Update XLS File from XLT File
I have an XLT Excel workbook templete that has 10 tabs at the bottom for 10 different vendors. These 10 worksheets are purchase order forms; 1 for each vendor. I would like the following: 1. Whenever I create and complete an order from the workbook template, I would like the details of the order to update that vendor's XLS worksheet. By having the XLS worksheets for each vendor, I will be able to track the quantity of different items I've ordered from each vendor, Can anyone advise me how I might accomplish this? Thanks! ...

VCF File association in Outlook.
I currently have vcf files on my system as part of another programming process. They aren't the vCard files or anything close to that. Outlook insisits on reclaiming the file association every time i restart and i have to go in and tell it that they aren't vCard files. Is there an option i've missed somewhere in Outlook 2002 to turn off the association? ...

Low Level Text File Printing
I am using Access 2003, VBA, and am trying to create a comma delimited text file. I am having a problem with a CF + LF put at the end of each print command. Because I have a lot of fields, I need to break each line up into several PRINT statements. Since Print ends with the CF+LF character , each line is being broken up into several lines. Can I prevent Print from appending a CF+LF? Is there another command which does not append CF+LF? An example is below. It should be one line, but it is coming out as two. Thanks Mike Thomas strLine = "The first part of the line -- &quo...

Open an Excel file by 2-clicking document
Transitioning from Mac to PC. Have Office 2003. When I 2-click an Excel file in My Documents, Excel opens as a blank page. I then have to do FILE > OPEN to navigate to the file. Is this normal? Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel 1. Close Excel first and 2. On the Windows Taskbar 2.1 Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2.2 Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. -- Regards Frank Kabel...

ON 07: Huge File Size
I have a section in ON 07 with about 7 pages. Most have very little on them. There are 2 or 3 screen clips and several items that were pasted. When I check Windows Explorer it shows the section is 52MB (MEGA, not kilo)! This seemed impossible to me, so I saved it as a pdf file. As a pdf file, it is 804KB (KILO)! This seems like the right size. I have WinXP (sp3)-- if it matters. What is happening here? David What size are the pasted files? And how large (would you estimate) the screen clippings are? -- Thanks, John Guin OneNote Test Team http://...

File recovery #2
Is there any shareware utility for recovering corrupt Excel files? Hi, None that I know of. Just in case: Options to try and open a corrupt file - Set calculation to manual - open the file, but disable macros (assuming you've set macro security to medium: Tools, Macro, security) - As soon as you've clicked the disable macros button, press control-pageup or control-pagedown, thus changing sheets. If that does not work, try creating a link to the file: ='c:\my documents\[MyFileName.xls]Sheet1'!A1 and copy right and down. This at least gets you the worksheets values...

Publisher 2000 cannot open files from Publisher 2002
Is there a way to convert 2002 publisher files, so that Publisher 2000 can edit them? >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to convert 2002 publisher files, so that >Publisher 2000 can edit them? >. >When you go to save the document, under the "File name" box is a pull down box. Click on the arrow to open the pull down box and select Publisher 1998. Request the sender to save the file in Publisher 2000 format. Your only other option is to upgrade to 2002 or get 2003 in a few weeks. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in Amer...

Inserting/Deleting Data Within Large File :: Win32
Hi, I am working on a problem has to do with manipulating large files. Essentially, the program will open up any give files and append, insert, and delete data from the file at random position. What is the most efficient solution? I have tried memory mapping, but it does not work as expect. Memory mapping works only when the program change a byte in the file. It does not work for inserting and delete bytes from the file at random position. Thanks, Kuphryn Sure it does. You just need to shift the file contents around. Think about how you would insert or delete text from a string at a...

ATT.txt files
Suddenly I am receiving text file attachments to lots of incoming emails. Most are named ATT00***.txt and are just text format versions of the message sent in Richtext or HTML format. Is this familiar to anyone? Is the problem on my end or at the sender? Richard Morris <rmorris@carolina.rr.com> wrote: > Suddenly I am receiving text file attachments to lots of incoming > emails. Most are named ATT00***.txt and are just text format versions > of the message sent in Richtext or HTML format. > > Is this familiar to anyone? Is the problem on my end or at the > sen...

OLE file path
I have to attach files from a directory, which is different from the default one. Each time I have to switch directory. Is there anyway to set the default path as last time used so that I do not have to change all the time. Like word, you open file from where you open last time. Thanks. you will create problems for yourself doing this. when you attach an object the path is not stored in the db tables. the system expects to find the object in the directory stored in the INI file. You change it, you loose all other connections! -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 ...