[External Copy or SYLK] file format is not valid

I am moving to a new computer. I have WIN98SE on my old computer and WIN
XP on the new one. I have Excel 97 and I am trying to transfer my data
to the new computer. I get the above message when I try to open a file
in XP. What is the problem?
Thanks in advance,
Bill.

Copied Worksheet does not maintain it 's properties
Hello , My VB app , access a particular Excel file (ie Template.xls) and runs a Macro . This Macros out is a report which is printed on a Worksheet in the same Template.xls . Then I select the Output worksheet of the template xls and copy the contents into a new Excel file . The reason why I am doing this is because I dont want the new file to contain the Macro . The problem is , the formatting of the Output sheet (Column lengths , Fonts etc) is NOT effected on the new workesheet of the file when copied . So I basically have an unformatted Output in the new file . How may I overcom...

Writing the DBF file
Hello, All! I have a trouble with writing a database to a file. Here's my code: // Write the file structure SDBFHeader dbfHdr; dbfHdr.nVersion = 0x03; strcpy(dbfHdr.cLastUpdate, _T("3A6")); dbfHdr.nNumOfRecs = m_ctrlList.GetItemCount(); dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInHdr = 32 + (3 * 32) + 1; dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInRec = m_nFieldsLength[0] + m_nFieldsLength[1] + m_nFieldsLength[2] + 1; dbfHdr.nReserved1 = 0x00; dbfHdr.nIncmpltTrans = 0x00; dbfHdr.nEncrypt = 0x00; strcpy(dbfHdr.cMultiUser, _T("")); dbfHdr.nIndex = 0x00; dbfHdr.nLangID = 0x00; dbfHdr.nReserve...

Sport Times Formats (elapsed time)
Does anyone have the definitive word on how to handle elapsed time? I need to track and manipulate swimtimes in Excel. Excel gets SO confused, and converts the times into various items. I can't believe that after 10yrs of using Excel, this ability is either missing or so hard to use. Please enlighten me! Thanks, Tom M. Tom, As you refer to swimtimes, I assume you want 1/100th of a sec. All you need to do is format the cells, including the result cell, as hh:mm:ss.00 and just subtract the end time from the start time. As Excel stores time as a fraction of 1 day, it is straightforw...

Conditional Format "OR"
I just discovered the answer to a problem and thought that I would share it with the group. How do I create a conditional format such that: a cell must be between 1 and 100 or greater than 1000? Answer: =OR(AND(A1>0,A1<101),A1>1000) I hope this helps some else. Lee ...

Excel missing file
I am a registered user of Office XP Pro. Excel will not start. It is missing a file. In the process of moving, disks in storage. Where can I go online to download the missing file? And, how? ...

How can i change chart data point format based on value?
I have a simple column chart with a single data series. I would like to change the color of an individual data point column depending on value. Thanks very much. You want to make a conditional chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "Harold96" <Harold96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3674450D-70A9-4227-B29A-36262B7BE723@microsoft.com... >I have a simple column chart with a single data series. I would...

Can I stop formatting changes from appearing in "track changes"?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Under track changes preferences, I have &quot;none&quot; selected, yet formatting changes still show up when I chose to display the changes in balloons. I can accept most of the formatting changes in order to eliminate the balloons, but sometimes I click to &quot;accept&quot; 10 or 20 times, but the balloon won't go away. <br><br>I realize that this is only a problem with balloons, but my pagination gets messed up if I don't use balloons. Yes: Turn off "Keep track of f...

Number of Copies
Hi I have a strange problem: - I have a Access 2003 db in 2000 format - I have a report in that database - I am printing the report to different printers or pdf - Suddenly the default for Number of Copies is "4" and not "1" in the Print window If I am importing the report to a new db, the defualt setting of 4 number of copies is still there. There is no code in the report and the problem is there even if I are in design view or not. - Tthe 4 must be in the report, no other reports have the default 4. - It is default 4 in every printer Thx! Staffan ...

Copy a folder and objects
From a workbook I wanted a button that would copy a folder to another drive. After dinging around I came up with this: Set CpyFolder = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") CpyFolder.CopyFolder "c:\TestIt", "d:\TestIt", overwrite End Sub This works but I have no idea why. The CopyFolder only works if you use a Set = something then use the Something.copyfolder. This seems just idiotic and useless. Why not just "Copy c:\folder, d:\folder" and make it easy? What is the purpose of adding the complication of objects? Also... the copy process was...

sqlcmd and Error(s) to a file
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162773.aspx sqlcmd File Names sqlcmd input files can be specified with the -i option or the :r command. Output files can be specified with the -o option or the :Error, :Out and :Perftrace commands. =========above lines are from the URL listed above============= Ok. If I set this command, I get the desired behavior: :Error "./myerrors.txt" (The desired behavior being, if no errors occur, then that file is created, however, it is empty, which is a great indicator for "nothing bad happened") ================= ...

Excel 2002: Can I save all files by just one click ?
Hi, I have 10 working files in an active window. There is no Save All button under the file menu. May I know if I can save all the files at one click without having to exit excel ? Thanks Low This delivers it in 2 clicks ... Hold down Shift key, click File > Close All Then click "Yes to All" in the ensuing prompt to save changes Success? Celebrate it, hit the YES below -- Max Singapore --- "Mr. Low" wrote: > I have 10 working files in an active window. > There is no Save All button under the file menu. > May I know if I c...

Changing format of a particular point in a series (conditionally/vba)
I have a single series which is charted each month and want to automatically format one of the points (a bar) a different colour. Is it possible to do this automatically? thanks for any advice david marcus - note the email address will not work Hi! Click once on the particular bar where you wish to have different color, system will select all bars in the chart. Click once again, the system will select only the bar that you are clicking on. Call out Format Data Point and select the desired color or pattern. >-----Original Message----- >I have a single series which is charted eac...

Copy Sheets
Why can't I copy a sheet in excel to another workbook? When I right click on the sheet tab in is not doing anything no more as well. Hi griify Maybe you protect the workbook Tools>Protection -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "griify" <griify@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AAC20DC8-6132-45D3-874B-57073E9EDB12@microsoft.com... > Why can't I copy a sheet in excel to another workbook? When I right click on > the sheet tab in is not doing anything no more as well. griigy, It works better for me to select the range I want ...

Copy filtered data (Values only)
The following code copies filtered data: Set Rng = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range Rng.Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1") but copies values and formulae. (e.g. .PasteSpecial xlPasteValues) How do I modify to the copy only the values Thanks! Set Rng = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range Rng.Copy Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E54D33F-2...

Modern.ttf font file requested
Hi, I have bought a Dell computer almost 2 years ago and it already had the modern.ttf font file installed (no, I am not talking about the modern.fon file). I have first reinstalled Windows XP without any problems. When I have installed Windows XP for the second time and thereafter, the modern.ttf file was not installed or it was missing from the Windows XP installation disk. I have looked all over the internet for a possible download link, but have not had any luck. Is there a way that someone would send me the modern.ttf file or tell me of a place to download the file or exactly what sof...

Error with the Deployment Manager- access to the file \CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl refused
Dear all, Dear all, Configuration: CRM 1.2 on a SBS2003 with the rollup 1.2 I 'm unable to deploy my customization . Indeed, as usual i created some new customization fields through the deployment manager and i added them to the account form. No problem with this. But when i launched the Deployment Manager for publishing it failed after a while and it seems there is a problem to access to the following ..xsl file: ...\CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl. Before i didn't have this problem. Strange? In the event log i have the message: "Erreur ProcessImportWorkItem : Access to the file &...

copy and use vba code
Hi, I am relatively new to using vba. I have successfully recorded and used macros, and also have created simple procedures in vba to use as a macro. What I am trying to do now is copy and use vba code in excel and am having trouble. The situation is this: I found vba code in these forums that I would like to use. What I did was copy the code into a module in the VBAProject (Personal.XLS), where all my aforementioned macros are located. However, when I attempt to find the macro via the Tools>Macro>Macros menu item, it is not listed (all the other macros are). I then tried a new ...

Copy ranges into email
Hi, How do i add more than one item to the body of a outlook mail using vba. I am using named range to select the items. i want to add Text, the leave two lines HTMLBody then leave two lines and add another HTMLBody and leace two lines and add Text I have a function that does the RangetoHTML after passing myRange to it. I am getting confused here. With OutMail .To = s .CC = "SH-DI-List" .BCC = "" .Subject = n & " - Trades in Pending Queue in SW " & Format(Now, "dd-Mmm-yyyy") & _ "...

data input format
Hi I have a user entry form and need to ensure the correct data format is used when entering. At the moment it is a text box on a VBA data entry form, I want to code the text box to only accept dd/mm/yy format. -- thanks Roy If you get the dat as a string, then you can perform very specific tests on parts of that string. For example: Sub StrictFormat() Dim s As String, i As Integer s = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Date?", Type:=2) If Len(s) <> 8 Then MsgBox "Bad Format" Exit Sub End If ary = Split(s, "/") If UBound...

merging files #2
Hi My wife has a number of separate publisher files that she needs to combine into a single file. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this.. I have looked at the "insert" menu and it looks like you can insert a blank page but not an existing file… How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Thanks Michael mlsred <mlsred@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Copy and Paste. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:20:03 +0000,...

Number of copies printed varies by running total.
My application prints work tickets to track items on an order. For example if my order has 2 line items: 3 pillows and 2 bedskirts, I am able to print 5 tickets showing:1 of 3 pillows, 2 of 3 pillows, 3 of 3 pillows, 1 of 2 bedskirts, 2 of 2 bedskirts. I was able to do this using code from MVP John Vinson, He suggested I set up an auxiliary table called Num and create non equi join" query. It works great. The entire post is reprinted below. Is there a way to get a total for all items on the order and have the code create a “order running total”? In the above example, Each ticke...

Formatting Borders
Why, when I click the double-underline border button, do I get a single-underline border? If I go to the borders menu I can select the double-underline and click the bottom border to make it work, but the button isn't functioning properly. I've tried customizing my toolbar and removing the button and putting it back, but I get the same result. Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts. You should have a down arrow next to the button, select double underline from there. It will stay that way until you close excel, once you open it again it will default to single underline Rega...

Backing Up Outlook Files #2
Hi I would like to know how I could back up my Outlook files and folders, so that I can trnsfer them to another computer. Please assist!!! http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm is a good place to read about this. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "Muhammad Yusuf" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:045601c3b457$0a972d60$a101280a@phx.gbl... | Hi I would like to know how I could back up my Outlook | files and folders, so that I can trnsfer them to another | computer. | | Please assi...

Data Validation #20
I have 4 cells all beside each other in my Excel Spreadsheet. They are all data validations that are linked to one another. I.E. each depends on the input from the previous cell. I'm looking for a code that will clear the cells (but keep the data validations) if I change one of the previous cells. For Example: Cell 1 contains these items: Shovel, Axe, and a Saw. If I choose Shovel in the first cell then my options for the second cell are now Flat or Round. Then the third box will give me the price depending on which I choose. However the problem is that once I pick the Flat and t...

Conditional formating XLS 2003
Hi, IF Each value in range G21:G33 is less than its correspondance value in range D21:D33 then Underline. i.e. if G22<D22 then underline value in cell G22. The same for all the cell in the range above. That format style is not available in Excel 2003. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote in message news:%237nllz4GKHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, > IF Each value in range G21:G33 is less than its correspondance value in > range D21:D33 then Underline. > > i.e. if G22<D22 then underline value in cell G22. &g...