"Can't Create Backup FIle. Save [filename] Without Backp?

I get the following message every so often when running
Excel 2003 under Win XP:
"Can't create backup file. Save [finename] without backup?"
I respond: "OK"
"Your changes could not be saved to [filename] because of a
sharing violation. Try saving to a different file."
I respond: "OK".  It presents me with the standard window
allowing me to enter a new filename, which I do, then press
OK.  Then I get:
"Do you want to save the changes you made to [fileename]?
I respond: "Yes"
"Document not saved."
This is VERY annoying.  I am the ONLY one who uses this
computer.  It is NOT networked (read NO SHARING).   Usually
I can eventually coax it into saving under a different name
which I then change back to the name it should be.  It
happens infrequently to various workbooks.  I can't seem to
pin down anything special that had happened that might
trigger it.  I've searched the KB (150 returns on my query)
and found nothing relevant.  Any suggestions??

0
anonymous (74722)

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

It sounds like the sharing is at the windows level--not within excel.

If you can temporarily disable the AntiVirus software, you could eliminate that
as the cause or pinpoint it as the cause.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Creating array of specific object types dynamically
Hi, little gotcha. Some COM objects requires array of specific type. To give you example, following DOESN'T work: [array]$X = @() However below code works: [int32[]]$X = @() For my framework, array type can be dynamic and I don't know in advance what type it's going to be. So what I would need is below: [$PropertyType[]]$X = @() This doesn't work with error message "Unable to find type". As a workaround, I solved it using following: Invoke-Expression "[$$PropertyType[]]`$Var = @()" This code works as expected, I am just curious if ...

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003

file cloning
I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents (apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop?? -- shnim1 You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste). But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in the old DOS days). They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, wi...

How do I preserve the accents when saving as XML Spreadsheet?
Excel displays these two French words "Comptabilité Générale" but when I save it as an XML Spreadsheet I get "Comptabilité Générale". Why? How can I preserve the initial formatting? Thank you. ...

setting to have email saved on Exchange server instead of PST
Hi, In Outlook 2007, is there a setting to have all the email saved to an Exchange Server rather than to a PST file? Thanks Steve Set the default delivery location to the exchange acct in tools, account settings. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgroup by visiting http://w...

Excel pivottable with OLAP cubes saves names, not keys
hi, Is there a way to let the Excel XP pivottables/OLAP cubes reports save the member keys, not meber names? The members disapperas in the reports when the names are updated i the dim-table, and this is a problem. All my Analysis Services dimension levels got keys unique and names not unique. I can't set the dim-property keys unique, because they are not. This is the report info (from Frontpage/OWC, cant find it in Excel): &lt;x:IncludedMember&gt; &lt;x:Name&gt;0000 ABCDEFGH&lt;/x:Name&gt; &lt;x:UniqueName&gt;[MyDim].[All MyDim].[0000 A...

automaticly create graph
what i would like to do is create a spread sheet where by i entered the fixed and variable costs as well as the selling price. i would then like a graph to automaicly change and display the this info. Does anyone know how to do this. Decide which cells on the spreadsheet you wish to include in the chart. Select those cells. Follow the menu option: Insert/ Chart, and answer the questions in the wizard. Have you looked in Excel help at the topics concerned with charts, starting with "Create a chart"? Have you looked at the training material under http://office.microsoft.com/...

Create static text from cell reference

how to build the netsample ipconfig to the exe file?
C:\WINCE500\public\common\oak\drivers\netsamp\ipconfig\ipconfig.cpp i want to make ipconfig.exe. and i could found the sample code. but it source code builded to the lib file. in ipconfig sources files, TARGETNAME=ipconfig TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY SOURCES= \ $(TARGETNAME).cpp the project is .lib file. but the source code has a _tmain() funciton in the source. it's looks possible to compile to the exe file. how can it compile to the exe file? You can add the SYSGEN_NETUTILS and you will have the ipconfig.exe integrated to your OS. Search ipconfig in the cat...

Slow backup of Hyper-V R2 cluster
We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we are using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation "Emptyone" wrote: > We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite > fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. > It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with j...

Creating a Graph
hi all, i want to create a grapg dynamically getting the values from a file.. take for example the first row is the x axis and the second row is the y axis. i am planning to do this in mfc. what needs to be done for this.. if somebody has an example relating this please send me the link or the code.. thanks Read the data. Plot it. First, you have to read the data. You read the data and build an array of <x,y> pairs in whatever way you want to save them, e.g., int, float, double. This is pretty elementary programming. To do a graph in a very fancy way, you should use an existing gra...

retrieving folders.old file

outlook can't receive exe files

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002