Y axis to cross at zero

I have line graph of sines of angles 0 deg to 360 deg.  I need the X axis to
show X-axis corresponding to angles 0, 90, 27, 360.  But if  I set
tick-marks every 90, the labels read 1,91,181,271,361.

This is because the "Scale" dialogue has  "Value (Y) axis crosses at
category number: 1".  This cannot be set to zero; it must be in the range 1
to 39999.  How can I set the X-axis to commence at zero?

What point am I missing here???

Thanks

Paddy

0
paddy1 (17)

"Paddy" <paddy@myisp.com> wrote :

>I have line graph of sines of angles 0 deg to 360 deg.  I need the X axis
>to show X-axis corresponding to angles 0, 90, 27, 360.  But if  I set
>tick-marks every 90, the labels read 1,91,181,271,361.
>
> This is because the "Scale" dialogue has  "Value (Y) axis crosses at
> category number: 1".  This cannot be set to zero; it must be in the range
> 1 to 39999.  How can I set the X-axis to commence at zero?

Found it.  I had forgotten - use scatter graphs rather than than line graph.

Thanks

Paddy

0
paddy1 (17)
7/15/2006 3:26:21 PM
Paddy wrote  on Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:26:21 +1000:

 ??>> I have line graph of sines of angles 0 deg to 360 deg.  I
 ??>> need the X axis to show X-axis corresponding to angles 0,
 ??>> 90, 27, 360.  But if  I set tick-marks every 90, the
 ??>> labels read 1,91,181,271,361.
 ??>>
 ??>> This is because the "Scale" dialogue has  "Value (Y) axis
 ??>> crosses at category number: 1".  This cannot be set to
zero; it
 ??>> must be in the range 1 to 39999.  How can I set the X-axis
 ??>> to commence at zero?

 P> Found it.  I had forgotten - use scatter graphs rather than
 P> than line graph.

 P> Thanks

Don't worry! You wouldn't have been the first to rush into print
with that question or answer. It's almost on the level of how to
plot empty values :-)

 James Silverton.

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton@comcast.not> wrote:

> Don't worry! You wouldn't have been the first to rush into print with that
> question or answer. It's almost on the level of how to plot empty values
> :-)

Ah!  But you may not appreciate the deeper import of my Alzheimic episode!
I have a class of High School kids in Excel next week - haven't used Excel
for a while.  "She'll be right" quoth I blithely ..........

Confucius say: Use It or Lose It !!!!

:-)

Paddy

0
paddy1 (17)

Chart adds in extra date values on the X axis
Good afternoon - just wondering if anyone can help. I'm plotiing a range of data where the X-axis cells contain dates. I'm trying to plot a cumulative line where the number of items processed each day is the same, so the line will be straight. However, I'm only going to be working Monday-Friday, and there's a bank Holiday coming up, so I won't have items processed on every day. So, I11 contains Thu 01 May, J11 contains Fri 02 May, K11 contains Tue 6th of May. The problem I have is that the resultant chart is adding the missing dates to the X-Axis, so instead of a st...

how can i move verticall axis to left?
when i try to draw a chart verticall axis take place in the right instead of left Format the scale of the horizontal axis, and adjust the 'crosses at' settings. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "ali reza" <ali reza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF3E93FB-C176-411F-8B32-9B7AE682D1E0@microsoft.com... > when i try to draw a chart verticall axis take place in the right instead > of > left ...

Vertical Axis
In excel you can color code cells, but when the data is selected and charted the color code is lost. For example, i have 36 values on the vertical axis with three different colors for the values. When I select the data to chart it automatically is displayed in the color of black. Is there a way to reflect the colors depicted in the cells or a possible solution? Thanks, Rick If all the data of the same color cell were one data series then you could apply color formatting to the series in the chart. But if your data is dynamic and the color assignment to the cells changes, then the ...

y-axis #2
I'm trying do complete a graph on baseball facts, and i've included Stolen bases, Homeruns, RBIs, and Batting Averages. Well the y-axis won't display anything lower than zero. How do i change that so i can view the batting averages? Jeremy - I wasn't very good, and my batting average was still greater than zero. But anyway, if you double click on the Y axis, and click on the Scale tab, you can set any min and max values you want. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Je...

how to get rid of "Negative or zero values on log plot"
Hi, guys, Do you know how to get rid of those "Negative or zero values cannot b plotted correctly on log charts" messages without changing the data an keeping log scale?? I work with a lot of numbers and can't affor removing zeros. Thanks! Ale -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com in a separate column enter the formula=if(targetcell<=0,"",targetcell). then graph the cata in the new column. By entering a null space, the graph ingores the cell. "alex22 >" <<alex22.16gox8@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:alex22.16go...

How do I change the scale on the y axis to letters?
I wish to change the Y axis scale on an Excel line graph from numbers to letters. Any ideas? Thanks You can hide the default axis labels and add a series along the Y axis that has the desired text as data point labels. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Standard." <Standard.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D988691B-B0F7-4B3B-AAFB-1AF78...

getting rid of zero values in a column
i have a set of data on a column that i`ll use to plot on a graph and find a trendline for its behaviour...problem is: there is zero values in some cells that were not calculated... i want to copy this data in a new column getting rid of cells with zero value because it results in a wrong trendline...how can i do this?please help this is an example of what i mean: 1 1 3 3 4 4 0 6 6 3 3 1 0 0 0 1 One of the simpler ways is to hide the rows for the cells that have zeros and then plot the graph. "kafoury123" wrote: > i have a set of data on a ...

Secondary Y axis and more with Pivot charts...
Hi, Is it possible to use secondary axis in a pivot chart? I want to use secondary axis to create some milestones in my chart (something changed in week x, for example) I created a pivot table based on data with a weeknumber. Now there are weeks with no data that are not displayed. Is it possible to display weeknumbers on X-axis without any data? In my chart numbering is like: wk 52, 2,3,4,5,6,8 and it should be wk 52,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Thanks in advance, Stefan You can plot any of the series in a pivot chart on the secondary axis, by double clicking on the series and choosing Seconda...

Cross References Don't Always Update
Hello, I have found that in my documents the recommend method for updating cross references doesn't work for me. I'm using Word 2007, and the method I refer to is: 1) Select All (CTRL+a) 2) Update (F9) However, I found that if I select everything but the first line, it works. If I do: 1) jump to end (CTRL+end) 2) select to begining (SHIFT+CTRL+home) 3) deslect the first line (SHIFT+down arrow) 4) Update (F9) Then it works. Whats on the first line? A table that show the company logo (image), the document number, author's name, etc. Has anyone else encou...

Charts: How can I get a date axis to include hours and minutes
Hi I am creating a chart monitoring (my dog's) breathing rate over time. I cannot check the rate at the same time each day so data entries are at different times of day. I have the date column in my spreadsheet in the format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm When I go to make a simple line chart, if the horizontal axis is in date format, it only resolve the day part of the information, and so all my data for each day appears in the one horizontal place. I can set the axis as text type, and I can then see each data point ok - but it does not reflect the time element of my data. Please can you advi...

Make cursor an Arrow, not a cross
Somehow my cursor has turned into a cross, not the usual arrow, so I can't drag and drop! How do I turn it back to an arrow? If you have Excel 2002, or later version, when you select a range of cells, and point to the selection border, the pointer changes to a four-headed arrow. When you see that, drag the selection to a new location. In earlier version, the pointer changed to an arrow. To enable drag and drop, choose Tools>Options On the Edit tab, add a check mark to 'Allow cell drag and drop' Ann wrote: > Somehow my cursor has turned into a cross, not the usual arrow...

Invoices show as open, but the unapplied amount is zero #2
Hi Client Using GP 8. There is Open purchase Invoice even though there is no payment was made for this supplier/Invoice the unapplied amount show zero. We drill the unapplied amount it shows blank. If I try to void this invoice It is gives the message as "This document cannot be marked for voiding. It has been either partially applied or is on hold". The client confirms that he didn't applied any partial payment for this supplier and we check also there is no partial payment and it is not in hold also. I cant able to proceed further. any one can please help us to fix the pro...

The Drawing cross
Hi, I did create on an Excel sheet menu containning text created with drawing. With the Worksheet active event I only leave the tabs and the basic toolbar. Here's the question: Going over the text(object) with the mouse the user could click and alter the text. Is it possible to block it? Thanks. As you have created the menu item using text object, the user can change the content by clicking on the object, I suggest you to use label instead and try the same by running Worksheet active event Chris ------ Convert your Excel spreadsheet into an online calculator. http://www.spreadsheetconver...

Category Axis Area in Bar Chart Cuts Words Apart on Wordwrap
I have a bar chart in Excel 2000, and I need to fit a lot of Data into a small chart area. Currently, the data is being displayed properly, but the Category Axis Labels are being wordwrapped and when this happens, it just cuts a word in half. For instance, one label is 'Professional' and it gets displayed as the following: 'Professio' 'nal' Any suggestions at how to control this so that it doesn't happen would be much appreciated. Thanks. Viper To help control where the labels break, you can add line breaks in the label cells on the worksheet. For exam...

How to I make the Excel horizontal axis count up then down
I am trying to fit two sets of data on the same chart to make an acid/base titration curve. I need the horizontal axis to could from 0 to 25 then back to 0. That way if the increments where in units of 25 the axis would be numbered like this: 0 --------- 25 ----------0 You can use a line chart, with labels of 0 through 25 through 0. These labels will not have any numerical significance. Or you can really plot X values ranging from 0 to 50, but add fake axis labels that follow your pattern. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartI...

Column Chart with multiple vertical axis
I tried building a chart that displays 1 series in dollar sales and 1 series in unit sales. I tried putting one on a secondary axis, but it always overlaps the columns and changing the series overlap setting doesn't seem to have any effect? Does any one know what is going on and how I can separate columns on separate axis? Thanks, Jamie You need to add a couple dummy series to help align the visible series: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://...

How do I create a two axis chart
I wish to create a two axis line chart displaying height vs. reaction mass. I cannot seem to find a way for excel to display this information. Can someone help me out? Do you mean an x-y chart or one with two y axes? url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10295928.aspx ...

x400 y varios sitios
> Buenas gente como les va? > > les comento tengo varios sitios de exchange 5.5 en varias subredes. > en uno de los sitios tengo varios servidores de exchange por el volumen de > usuarios. > los tengo conectados con x400 porque los enlaces entre las subredes no son > muy buenos que digamos. > hice conectores x400 de todos los servidores contra todos los servidores. > la conexion entre las subredes es asi: > > sitio B <--> sitio A <--> sitio C. > > o sea para ir de B a C la conexion pasa por A, igualmente eso lo hace el > proveedor, yo desde...

How to get a formula result zero as blank cell
Dear Excel experts, How can I make the outcome of a formula (eg. =A1*A2) result in a blank cell if either Cell A1 or Cell A2 is blank (no data typed in the cell)? If either Cell A1 or A2 is actually zero it should not result in a blank Cell. I need to define the outcome of the folrmula as blank, because I want to take the average of a range of rhese formulas. If some data have not been entered, they should be ignored in the average and not counted as 0. Hope you can give me a clue, Jan Bart Jan, =IF(OR(ISBLANK(A1),ISBLANK(A2)),"",A1*A2) Regards, Steve -- SteveG -------...

Y-Axis Label won't let me resize it
I have a long title on my y-axis of a scatter plot (ex. Concentration (mg/L)) and excel cuts the title off after it is only partially displayed (ex. Concentr). In other versions of excel I could resize the axis label to contain all the text but it will not let me and the X-axis doesn't do the same thing it resizes itself correctly. The only alternative is to make the font so small that it is illegable. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this. I''m using MS Office 2000, if that is somehting you need to know. ...

Primary and secondary Y-axis with same 0 line
The minimums and maximums of the data shown are likely to be very different; however I would like them to have the same 0 line. There are positives and negatives (sometimes only on the primary axis) so my 0 is often not lining up (i.e. 0 on the primary axis is lower than 0 on the secondary usually). Is there a way to make sure that the two Y axis share the same 0 line but with different scales? Peter Hi, Jon Peltier's page on the subject may help. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html Cheers Andy Peter Hemmingsen wrote: > The minimums and maximums of the dat...

2007: Can't set axis max by date
I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for "max" put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that as the maximum. I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number for the date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog. In previous versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the chart axis was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered directly into the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to translate to serial number for that date]. Is this ...

Source data
Someone before me had created a chart with columns and a line, but what I can't figure out is how they made the line the way it is. When I go to the Source Data the data series for the line has both an "X Values" and a "Y Values". When I try to duplicate this in a new chart I only have the option to enter X Values. Any idea how to get it to give me a space to enter a Y Value? You're confusing a "line chart" with an "XY scatter chart". -- Best Regards, Luke M "Tiffany" <Tiffany@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Pivot Tables-Not Display-Results w/Zero Totals
Hi, When creating pivot tables is there a way to not include/display those records where the total equals zero? The filter option is "grayed" so that must not be an option. Hiding the zero result rows/columns on the pivot is not an usable option. Not displaying zeros, still leaves the records remaining data on the pivot and on any charts. Any suggestions to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- Linda You can add that field to the page are, then double click it, this will give you a list with values, select 0 and click OK -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private e...

How do I cross out a word in Publisher?
I have copied a Word document into a Publisher document. In the Word document there are some words that are crossed out. I want them to show as crossed out in my Publisher document...but they aren't. How do I cross out words in Publisher? You will need to draw a line and place it over the word. Grouping it with the textbox will keep it in place (as long as you don't change the size of the box). -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "NATCH-9" <NATCH-9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...