x y z 3d charting

I need to draw a true 3-d chart where a given datapoint
is described in a cube-shaped chart type, by three
values - x, y, and z. Can Excel do this (It appears not)
and if so, how? (It appears that Excel can only draw 3D
views of 2D data)

Many thanks

Tim Wells

0
anonymous (74722)

You are correct that Excel doesn't do 3-d charts, but you can work out
the perspective calculations and fake it in 2-d.  See
   http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm
for details.

Jerry

Tim wrote:

> I need to draw a true 3-d chart where a given datapoint
> is described in a cube-shaped chart type, by three
> values - x, y, and z. Can Excel do this (It appears not)
> and if so, how? (It appears that Excel can only draw 3D
> views of 2D data)
>
> Many thanks
>
> Tim Wells

0
post_a_reply (1395)
9/8/2004 11:07:40 AM
XL can do what it calls a 3D surface plot.  However, the x data must be
equidistant as must be the y data.  For a write up on this see
3D Surface
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/3d_surface/index.html

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Multi-disciplinary business expertise
  + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2004

In article <7d6001c4955d$93489080$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I need to draw a true 3-d chart where a given datapoint
> is described in a cube-shaped chart type, by three
> values - x, y, and z. Can Excel do this (It appears not)
> and if so, how? (It appears that Excel can only draw 3D
> views of 2D data)
>
> Many thanks
>
> Tim Wells

0
Tushar

addding/omitting "x"
colume a=value, colume b is notation with s1, s2, s3, and s4 according to the type of values in colume a. I want to add only values that was notated with s1 in colume b, but omitting that was mark with "x" in colume c respectively. Hi there. First of all, I guess you could continue updating your first post below ;) Regarding to your problem, please, try: =sum((B10:B20="s1")*(C10:C20<>"x")*A10:A20) SHIFT + CTRL + ENTER You should enter the above formula by pressing SHIFT + CTRL + ENTER (and not just ENTER) since it is an array formula. R...

Where free 2 sigma statistical process control chart, free?
where can I download a free statistical process control chart template? ...

Constant List
Is there an easy way to return the values of the ChartType constants? Excel 97 does not seem to list them in help and I have not been able to find them in google.group searches. Thanks M Select xlChartTypes in the Classes pane of the object browser. The constants are named in the members panel. If you select one, it provides the numeric equivalent at the bottom of the object browser, e.g., Const xlArea = 1 Member of Excel.XlChartType - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ M wrote: > Is there...

Excel --- Physical dimensions of a chart object
Is there a way to know the physical dimensions of a chart object on a worksheet? I have data in several worksheets and I would like all my charts to be of the same size (obviously this means that data with a smaller range of values will be more spread out than data with a larger range of values). Thanks, Nimmi This is just an example: Sub Macro2() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select n = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Width m = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Height MsgBox (n & " BY " & m...

Controlling Gap Width for BAR Chart
Hi, I have the following data for example. A = 2 B= 3 C = 4 I can create a 2 D Bar chart from this quite easily. Now If I make the data to A = 2 , 3 B= 3 , 4 C = 4 , 5 I do want to plot the data on the basis of first two values as mentioned in the first example, but I want to control the width of the Bar from the value given after comma. Please help. On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Fazi <farazahmedtoor@gmail.com> said: >I have the following data for example. >A = 2 , 3 >B= 3 , 4 >C = 4 , 5 > >I want to plot the data on the basis of firs...

What is the best chart for this....
When I want to compare how each salesperson's sales contributes to Total Sales, I can use a pie chart. But what do I use when I want to compare how each salesperson performed against the *average* of total sales? I am envisioning a vertical bar chart with a horizontal line at the average, but I need a solution that can be generated by a macro. Any advice? Thanks in advance. Patti Patti - That's how you would do it, a column chart with a horizontal line. On this web page, I give a couple techniques to achieve the horizontal line: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine...

How do I add y-axis labeling on the right side of chart?
I'd like to add an axis with same values on the right side of the chart. You'll need to have at least two series in order to enter a secondary axis. On one of the series, change the Axis to Secondary axis. "DavidNHFCU" <DavidNHFCU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28759EE0-759E-4964-8F5E-6C49099653B6@microsoft.com... > I'd like to add an axis with same values on the right side of the chart. How can I force the y-axis at the bottom of my chart to appear for all 12 months when I only have Jan, Feb and March figures to put in the first thre...

excel chart showing movable graph at what point we make a profit
in a business would like to make a chart based on accumulated Earnings & Profit/Loss for year to date, perhaps movable showing our break even point and by moving chart to a another earnings figure what profit we should make. For example put in earnings for YTD Profit/Loss YTD then I can move the earnings part of the chart to show what our profit would be for a given earnings figure. Alternatively If For example if we earn $200 for year so far and profit is $0 but any amount over that is 18% profit so I can move chart line to say $240 and it will say what profit I will make. Hope ...

"Print to Scale" Excel 2007 Charts
In Excel 2003, one could double-click a chart, print, and the chart would auto-size to fill a page. I am unable to print my newly-created Excel 2007 charts so they auto-size to print one-to-a-page (now requires several time-consuming steps for reformatting titles, axes, etc.). I do not have a "print to scale" option in my page setup. Printing to a Ricoh Aficio AP610N. Thanks so much. I will assume we are talking of an embedded chart (one sitting on a worksheet) and not a chart sheet. In Excel 2003 (all earlier) you did not double click, you just single clicked to...

Bar Chart (2D) won't let me 'gap' one bar behind the other?

Stacked and single column in same chart?
How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a single column? When I build a stacked column chart, any new source data I add wants to put it in the same stacked column. Use one of the links on this page. You need to set up the data so the single column is in a stacking position with no other columns of data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Einstine wrote: > How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a sing...

blank postcard template 4 x 6
Hi, I have a postcard that I made in MS Publisher that is 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 in size. Obviously I can't use a .23 cent stamp on this item. I was interested in modifying my larger postercard and reducing it to a 4 x 6 template size so I can save on postal expenses. I couldn't find a blank template! I've purchased card stock and am ready to figure out a way to convert the larger size to (4) 4x6 smaller postcards printed on a full sheet 8 1/2 x 11. I'll then have them cut to size. So.. is there a easy to use template out there and how do I convert (shrink) my current postc...

Can anyone help with this chart?
I would like to have the following values/labels on the y and x axis of any style of chart: X-axis: July, August, September etc for a full financial year; Y-axis: FB, AP, DR, LA, PC. OR the other way around. Presently the Y-axis simply displays the labels 'Jan Jan Jan Jan Jan' etc. Thank you. Any help would be much appreciated. Check out Jon Peltier's article on creating a vertical category axis: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "A little stuck" wro...

center data labels on my column chart
How do i get my data labels to appear in the center of each column on my chart? Thanks. Click on one of the labels (that will select all the labels in the series) Choose Format>Selected Data Labels Select the Alignment tab From the Label Position dropdown, choose Center Immediately after formatting the first series, if there are other series in the chart -- Select a label in another series Press the F4 button on the keyboard, to repeat the formatting from the previous series Repeat for all series Dan wrote: > How do i get my data labels to appear in the center of > e...

Dynamic Chart #2
Can you please help me to create a dynamic chart by using VBA? Thanks in advance!! ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements VBA may not be needed. See the Excel | Tutorials | 'Dynamic Charts' page of my web site. -- [Posted directly to the Usenet newsgroup -- no affiliation with Excelforum] Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel...

displaying charts from Macros
I would like to create the template which will present user with several data entry forms, calculate result and then should presend result as a serie of charts with next button to show next chart. Is it possible to display just the chart windows for each chart or they have to be displayed on separate sheets. Any suggestion on what is the most elegant solution to what I want to do ? Regards, Tony Tony - The chart windows are not stable; they disappear when the user clicks anywhere else. But I don't think you really mean chart windows as such. You can make embedded charts. From Lo...

chart zero
Hello, first Post - so here goes.... I am ploting a simple chart in Excel - when the value of a cell, say F5, is zero (calculated as =F4/F3) or F4 and F3 are zero and F5 returns #DIV/0! - I don't want to plot that cell at all. At the moment it is plotted as zero in both cases. I'm using Excel 2000. Many Thanks Andy Have just found the other threads dealing with this issue - #N/A and a white font will do it for me. Thanks anyway guys Andy "First & Last" wrote: > Hello, first Post - so here goes.... > > I am ploting a simple chart in Excel - when the va...

how do i move the pictures in 3D
aren't 3D pictures supose to move in all directions but in visio seems to move only left,right,up and down. is there another way? On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 06:05:00 -0700, luka <luka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >aren't 3D pictures supose to move in all directions but in visio seems to >move only left,right,up and down. is there another way? Visio is a 2D drawing program, not 3D. There are a few drawing extensions that look like 3D though. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

2007 charting problems
Is anybody having these problems, and can anybody tell me how to fix them? 1. In Excel 2003, I could select a range of cells and drag them into a chart and they would be pasted as a new series into the chart. Is this feature gone in 2007? 2. When I have a rotated Y-axis label, I can click on the text and see an insert cursor, but when I start typing, only the first letter appears in the label and the rest end up in the formula bar. When I hit enter, only the new text from the formula bar shows up in the label. 1) Just Copy the range, right click the chart and use Paste 2) Do not use ...

Candlestick Charts
Sorry if this a repeat from another post, but I am new to the newsgroup. I am looking for an excel spreadsheet for Japanese Candlestick Charting. Any help is appreciated. Rich in Maine Rich - Make a line chart with your two series of data. Double click on of the series, choose the Options tab, and check the box for Up-Down Bars. Where the first series' value is higher than the second's, the bars are one color, when they are switched, the color changes. You can format the bars as if they were columns in a regular column chart. If you mean a stock candlestick chart, which show...

Plus / Minus Charts?
Does anyone know if it is possible to create a chart showing a positive and negative assessment of a feature. I don't know exactly what the chart is called and I can't attach a mockup images, so what I am looking for is: Feature 1: #######0&&&&&& Feature 2: ####0&&& Feature 3: #####0&&&&&& Axis 9876543210123456789 -ve +ve Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks Neil Hi Neil, put - labels in A2 and down - negative numbers in B2 and down - positiv...

Charting Problems #2
I need to create a chart that has axes in "exact" inches. For example, the printed plot area is 6" x 3", or at least 1 axis is exactly inches. ...

adding a line to an existing chart
Hi, I have a chart with bars and two lines but I want to add another line on top of what I already have...can I do this if so, how? I have tried many things but it is not showing up. Please provide as much detail as possible, as I am fairly new to this. JudyT Select the data for the new line (say F2:F20) Click the Copy tool Click the chart Use menu command Edit | Past Special; specify New Series; click OK Suppose the data is G2:F20 with new x-values in column F Select the data for the new line (say G2:F20) Click the Copy tool Click the chart Use menu command Edit | Past Special; speci...

stacked column chart not baselining at 0
I have a data set with categories in columns A-B, and data in columns C-I. I've configured my chart to use stacked bars for the first 6 data series and a line for the last one. The first 6 are revenue allocations, with the 7th being a cumulative total. Most of the chart looks as expected, but the first category or row of data is displaying oddly. The figures in this row are all negative (or 0), so I expect the top of the bar to sit at zero, but it doesn't. The top of the bar sits at the value of the 7th/line series, so that the bottom of the bar is at 2x that (negative) value. ...

How to create 2 charts on one page
I have created a yearly chart for widgets accomplished in Excel (has 4 data lines). I would like to add another chart directly below this to show the turn-time for accomplishing the widgets. It would have the same X-axis values (months of the year). I tried using a secondary Y axis, and the chart is just unreadable with this approach. Can this be done. HELP. You haven't told us why it's unreadable, so I doubt that we can help. If your problem is that the two sets of data are overlapping, and you said you wanted the second chart *below* the first one, try adjusting the scales on...