X axis months are truncated??

I have four Excel charts. The first one has the months from Jan through Dec
in three letter format. The 2nd through 4th appear as
Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Ma, Jun, Jul, Au, Se, Oct, No, Dec. Why are these four
months truncated to two letters each while the other eight are in the desired
three letter format. The names of the months for the four charts all come
from the same column on the Chart Data table.

0
Paul28 (1)

Paul,

Check to make sure that all of your charts and chart plot areas are
uniformly sized and that the X-axis fonts and font sizes are exactly the
same.  At times I've experienced that same type of problem and it is usually
boils down to how the plot area automatically sizes with the different data
that I'm working with.  Usually I have to just make adjustments to all of the
charts until they are sized correctly and look uniform.  Unfortunately I
don't know of a faster way to get around it other than using VBA to automate
the process.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Paul28" wrote:

> I have four Excel charts. The first one has the months from Jan through Dec
> in three letter format. The 2nd through 4th appear as
> Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Ma, Jun, Jul, Au, Se, Oct, No, Dec. Why are these four
> months truncated to two letters each while the other eight are in the desired
> three letter format. The names of the months for the four charts all come
> from the same column on the Chart Data table.

Paul showed me his charts last week, and while I could observe this
behavior, I could find no reason for it. The charts were taller than
wide, but otherwise were just plain charts. Everything else was
nominally the same. Same dimensions, same font sizes and styles.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

John Mansfield wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Check to make sure that all of your charts and chart plot areas are
> uniformly sized and that the X-axis fonts and font sizes are exactly the
> same.  At times I've experienced that same type of problem and it is usually
> boils down to how the plot area automatically sizes with the different data
> that I'm working with.  Usually I have to just make adjustments to all of the
> charts until they are sized correctly and look uniform.  Unfortunately I
> don't know of a faster way to get around it other than using VBA to automate
> the process.
>
> ----
> Regards,
> John Mansfield
> http://www.pdbook.com
>
> "Paul28" wrote:
>

>>I have four Excel charts. The first one has the months from Jan through Dec
>>in three letter format. The 2nd through 4th appear as
>>Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Ma, Jun, Jul, Au, Se, Oct, No, Dec. Why are these four
>>months truncated to two letters each while the other eight are in the desired
>>three letter format. The names of the months for the four charts all come
>>from the same column on the Chart Data table.

Outlook 2002 hangs regularly on XP for 4 months now
I am running Outlook 2002 on XP. No matter what I try to do, the program still seems to hang up several times a day (particularly when checking for mail). The "freeze" usually last 1-3 minutes. Sometimes only Outlook freezes, sometimes it affects the entire computer. I have been trying to fix the problem for 4 months now. I have disabled Instant Messenging in the Tool Options (the problem used to be worse). In reviewing some of the other postings here, I have seen some mention of Winfax (I am running Winfax Pro 10.02 as part of Norton SystemWorks 2003 and haver removed...

monthly deduction not working properly
Do I need to rebuild a file or something if I have a deduction that is marked to come out monthly, but is still processing for every payroll? -- newbie You will need to set the frequency for the paycode and include this frequency in your batch setup. "D$llar Counter" wrote: > Do I need to rebuild a file or something if I have a deduction that is marked > to come out monthly, but is still processing for every payroll? > -- > newbie Yes, I had to add the frequency to the batch. Thankyou. -- newbie "barbola" wrote: > You will need to set the freq...

replace axis text with graphics on excel chart (excel 2003)
Hi, does anyone know how to replace the axis text on an excel chart with graphics? So for example if I have a bar chart and the x (vertical) axis has values from 0 to 100 - I'd like to replace the numbers 0 - 100 with smiley face graphics - anyone got any ideas? thanks so much in advance, Ed. Hi, One possible way is to use a dummy data series plotted as an xyscatter. Then use custom markers. Jon Peltier has an explanation of using custom markers. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html Cheers Andy Mad_Hatter_29 wrote: > Hi, > does anyone k...

Word X
I get this error when opening MS Word 10.1.1. Also, Entourage won't launch. Anyone have any suggestions? Hi James, First thing you need to do is install the Office X updates available here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#OfficeX You can skip the 10.1.3 update because it is incorporated into the 10.1.4 update. Then use Disk Utility First Aid to repair permissions on OSX. -Jim Gordon Mac MVP All responses should be made to this newsgroup within the same thread. Thanks. About Microsoft MVPs: http://www.mvps.org/ Search for help with the free Google search Excel add-in: &l...

secondary axis chart #2
I have a line chart for which I have developed several point to point trend lines which I would like to overlay on the original line chart. The points are represented in four sets of series as follows: Date1 Value1 Daten Valuen Datez Valuez Date2 Value2 Daten+1 Valuen+1 Datez+1 Valuez+1 Date3 Value3 etc. etc. Date4 Value4 etc. I tried to set each of the sets up as scatter charts specifying the primary x axis. That ...

Uninstallation of V.x after install of 2004
After doing a complete erase and reinstallation of OS X on my G4, I learned that I could not install my upgrade of Mac Office 2004 without my previous version of office installed on the machine. I did, I have, and it's done. Now I have 2 versions of Mac for Office installed on my machine. Can I now uninstall the previous copy? and if so...HOW? Thanks in advance, Morris Yes, you can uninstall the previous copy. Do so by using the "Remove Office" tool, located in /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office/. You can then choose to remove a previous versi...

Missing text in category axis label
This is not in the title, so the usual bug workaround does not work. If I add dots and make them white text in the value table, it still shows them as dots in the label. But the first label is cutting off the last two letters and nothing I've tried works. They don't fit horizontal so the text is slanted 45 degrees. I've tried smaller font size, various copy/paste options, different printers, different fonts. We're using Office 2003 Pro SP2 with WinXP Pro SP2. We're in a hurry to get this out today so I hope someone can give me a suggestion other than creating text bo...

How to import custom toolbars from Office X to 2004?
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3169274775_5237938 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit How can I import custom toolbars from Excel 10 to Excel 11 � same in PowerPoint. Renaming preference files � toolbars (10) �> �toolbars (11) won�t work. Thanks from Munich Wolfram Fuchs --B_3169274775_5237938 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> &l...

SUMIF or SUMPRODUCT to calculate monthly sales of various products
Sheet1 In column C I have dates formatted as day/month/year; for example 31/01/2008 (usually there are several entries per day). In column D I have product names (two products) In column E I have the value of the product sales on that date. Sheet 2 Column A I have the date formatted as mmm-yy In Column's B and C I would like the sum of the sales of that product for the month. For example Sheet2 A B C Month Shoes Bags Jan-07 $3250 $1800 Feb-07 $1250 $4210 etc I tried formatting the date column in Sheet1 as mmm-yy and then using a pivot table but t...

Sum IF (x and Y)
how do I create a formula to get a SUM if two columns are utilized, in other words, sum if AREA(columnA) is 10, and WORK(columnb) is CONSTRUCTION... How can you tyoe the formula... thanks Juan Ah, but what if he has entries where he has CONSTRUCTION in B and a number other than 10 in A. He would get them counted as 10 well. =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100=10)*(B1:B100="CONSTRUCTION"))*10 will hopefully do it though -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP --------------------------------------...

X-Axis Date
Hi, I am making a graph with dates along the X-axis. The data was exported from Access and is in the format m/dd/yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM. Excell doesnt seem to recognize this as a data format and it wont graph properly. I have tried "format cells", but it doesnt work. What is really strange is that when I click in the cell and then press enter, it converts to a date format that is recognized by excell. I have over 2 years of hourly data, so I dont really want to click in every cell. Anyone have any suggestions? Dates in Excel are actually numbers (see http://www.cpearson.co...

automate the sending of an email at a set date each month
Is it possible to set Outlook to automatically send an email without prompt on a set date each month? Matt T <MattT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to set Outlook to automatically send an email without > prompt on a set date each month? See if this helps: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/forms/skedrpt.htm -- Brian Tillman Doesn't use Outlook but please try our email scheduler (http://www.lbetoolbox.com/scheduleemail.htm) which will allow you to send multiple individual emails, html or plain text, with attachments, either as a one-off or regularly at a sp...

X axis tick mark over label
A client wants the x-axis tick mark label (bar chart) to be positioned under the tick mark instead of between tick marks. We've managed to do this before but didn't write it down and now we can't remember. I've been trying every combination I can think of and nothing makes the tick mark label show under the tick mark. The Data Series options is at 0 so the bars touch on the sides and they want the labels to be between the two bars where they touch, which would be right under the major tick mark. Thanks! Hi, Double click the category axis and on the scale tab uncheck, Va...

Can't see the number tab when formatting the X axis on a Pivot cha
My x axis has dates like 08/31/07. I want to change the formatting to Aug-07. For some reason when I format the X axis I can't see the "Number" tab. I can see it fine for the Y axis or when I format the X axis on a regular chart, but not the X axis on a pivot chart. I also tried changing the formatting on the source data and the source pivot table. Nothing works for the pivot chart except changing the source data to text which I don't want to do because I need them in number format for other calculations. Please help. have you set the cell format? right-click ce...

how do I show a discontinuous chart axis
-- Sam See Jon Peltier's work http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "SamR" <SamR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46188826-18A9-43CF-9FFB-C533905EA30E@microsoft.com... > > -- > Sam ...

How to get rows when only querying on the month of a birth date
Hi All This is a good one that's baked my noodle!! I have a standard table with lets say 2 cols: NAME string DOB date Example rows may be: NAME DOB Gary Barlow 24-3-2002 John Barlow 24-11-2001 Bob Barlow 7-7-1999 Bill Barlow 6-3-1999 etc I need to build a query that will get me all the rows back that were born in say March (3), which means the above would bring back Gary and Bill even though the birth day and year might be different - is this possible??!?!? Thanks "Blackberry" <info...

Changing vertical axis in chart in Excel
I have created a chart in exel that is supposed to represent monthly sales throughout the year in various categories. The vertical axis, which i need to reflect dollar amounts only reflect percentages. The months and the categories are correct. How can I change that vertical axis to match the financial data in my worksheet. I have the months in row A, and I have the categories in column 1. The financial data is in the corresponding cells. I'm running Office 2OO7. ...

2 calls (month and year) to be combined as date in single cell
I want to use 2 combo boxes on a VBA form, one to specify a month, th other to specify a year. I want Excel VBA to take these two pieces o information (month and year) and put them as a date into *one singl cell* in the format "December 2004 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Easy. Say your target, or LinkedCell, for Month is cell G1 (December); and the target for your Year combo box is G2 (2004);You want the final result in A1. A1 should read =G1 & " " & G2 jeff >-----Original Message----- >I want to use 2 combo boxes on a VBA form, o...

AD Plugin vs. Office X crash
I noticed a pretty strange thing. I'm using AD plugin to authenticate users against a W2K3 controller, even if I'm a little bit disappointed because of SMB broken support, but this is not the strange thing...In fact, for some unknown reason, some users can run Office X without any problem but some others don't, since they got a crash. Users are placed in the same OU and belong to the same unprivileged group. If I force authentication with LDAPv3, and not with the AD plugin, everything works well, especially for the users that reported a crash previously. I just don't know wher...

X.400 Service error code 290
HI there, I require some assistance. We are running about a 20 user network and using Win NT SBS running Exchange 5.5 Thre is also a Linux Firewall setup which forwards incoming mail to the NT server. When sending mail the NT server forwards it to the Linux Box and then it gets sent. Everyone can send and receive both External and Internal email except one user who can do everything except send external email. The mail immediately bounces back with a error message from the administrator. When checking event viewer in the application log the following error has occured: A non-delive...

Blackberry 3.6.x and SQL 2005
We have Exchange 2003 Enterprise with Blackberry enterprise Server 3.6.x. Is anyone using Blackberry Enterprise Server 3.6.X version with newly released SQL 2005 Database Server? Although it may not be supported, anyone using it or know if it would work? thanks. Thank you. That'd be a little premature, imo, considering SQL 2005 was just released days ago... -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- ">> JP <<" <jpaul@msn.com> wrote in message news:uQBmg0U5FHA.3388@TK2MSFTNGP11.ph...

Custom Value Axis
How do I replace only one value to text on the Value Axis? (i.e., -20, -10, TEXT, 10, 20)etc. You might want to use Rob Bovey's XY Chart labeler found at www.appspro.com "Maureen D." wrote: > How do I replace only one value to text on the Value Axis? (i.e., -20, -10, > TEXT, 10, 20)etc. This one's pretty straightforward, and you can use a custom number format. It works for numbers anywhere, not just in a chart. Custom number formats have four components, for positive numbers, negative numbers, zero, and text, separated by semicolons. To replace zero with ...

Arrange fonts in Axis?
Dear all, There is anyway to change the format of the fonts form the y or x Axis? For example i have in X axis q1, q2, q3, q4 There is anyway to have q1 with blue or bold fonts? Thanks in advance Manos Hi Manos, As used for a previous post. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng18.htm And this page has a few more techniques that could be used. http://www.andypope.info/charts/staggeredlabels.htm Cheers Andy Manos wrote: > Dear all, > > There is anyway to change the format of the fonts form > the y or x Axis? > > For example i have in X axis q1, q2, q3, q4 > > T...

Frank!
Hi Frank, would you be able to give me an example of how to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel doc. Any help would be much appreciated. Al You could have waited more than 2 minutes to re-post. Frank is still sleeping which is unusual but this will insert 3 rows at the active cell Sub insert3rows() ActiveCell.Resize(3, 1).EntireRow.Insert End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Al-Blakie" <AlBlakie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F3B97CA-5650-408B-86F5-28A93E287259@microsoft.com... > Hi Frank, would you be able to give me an ...

Microsoft Office v. X for Mac 10.1.9 Update
I have tried to download this several times. Every time I download it, I get kicked off of my internet connection. I use a wireless connection, so I thought that was the problem. I connected through a cable to the internet and it still kicked me off. I tried it at school through thier wireless and I was kicked off. I tried it at my parent's house both with a cable and wirelessly and I was kicked off. Why can't I download this without being kicked off the internet? Secondly, if I can't download it, what will I be missing? In article <1174211402.915471.25060@y80g2000hsf.go...