x-axis is time ... sort of

I'm trying to create a chart in Excel like the one on this page:

http://finance.yahoo.com/bonds/composite_bond_rates

If the above link doesn't show up, you can get to the page by going to
Yahoo Finance and clicking on "Rates", which is about half way down on
the left side.

The x-axis on this chart is not time as in dates, but it is time as in
length of period (e.g. 3 days, 3 months, 3 years...) and the spacing
between x-axis labels is scaled by time period (not equally spaced).

I can do this in Excel using x-y scatter and x-axis data as # of days
(1 for 1 day, 365 for 1 year, 10950 for 30 years, etc), but the x-axis
labels are, obviously, the number of days (e.g. it says "3650" instead
of "10y" or "10 years").  Is there a way to make the x-axis labels say,
for example, "1y" instead of "365" and still have them spaced
correctly, like they are on the page above?  Thanks.

Use this technique to apply the desired data labels in place of the regular
axis tick labels:

  http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

<bodhi2.71828@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create a chart in Excel like the one on this page:
>
> http://finance.yahoo.com/bonds/composite_bond_rates
>
> If the above link doesn't show up, you can get to the page by going to
> Yahoo Finance and clicking on "Rates", which is about half way down on
> the left side.
>
> The x-axis on this chart is not time as in dates, but it is time as in
> length of period (e.g. 3 days, 3 months, 3 years...) and the spacing
> between x-axis labels is scaled by time period (not equally spaced).
>
> I can do this in Excel using x-y scatter and x-axis data as # of days
> (1 for 1 day, 365 for 1 year, 10950 for 30 years, etc), but the x-axis
> labels are, obviously, the number of days (e.g. it says "3650" instead
> of "10y" or "10 years").  Is there a way to make the x-axis labels say,
> for example, "1y" instead of "365" and still have them spaced
> correctly, like they are on the page above?  Thanks.

In Excel: is there a way of inserting the current time (what time it is right NOW)
This would help me save time Everytime I take a pill (medication) I jot down the time. In Word, it is easy. You just select Insert-->Date/Time & then select the current time (without auto-update) Is there an equivalent command in Excel? In Excel I have time-sheets for work. I jot down the time it is when I arrive at work/uni etc. It would be useful if I could just click a button and it would insert the current time. (I know it's not hard to just type in 9:05am, but anything that saves time is a bonus!) Control semi-colon inserts the date. Control shift colon inserts the t...

Embedded PDF object in web page: OneNote is launching and opening PDFs at the same time as Adobe Reader
I have a Windows 2008 Server machine with Office 2007, Adobe Reader 9, and IE8 installed. When opening a web page with an embedded PDF control (using <object> tag and Adobe Reader's CLASSID) in IE8, the PDF appears properly in the Adobe PDF control embedded in the web page, but at the same time, OneNote launches separately and opens the same PDF. How do we stop OneNote from doing this? We have XP Pro machines with Office 2007, Reader 9, IE8 that do not exhibit this behavior. -- Paul -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I have a Windows 2008 Serv...

Number cells won't reformat / sort
I'm dealing w/ a spreadsheet composed of cut-and-pasted rows from 2 sources (A and B) both originally exported from Filemaker at different times. When trying to sort the data by a "Record Number" field, the 2 datasets remain split and will not integrate. In other words, instead of the sort result being something like: # Code 1 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 6 WEX 7 WAF 9 WEX They look like this: # Code 1 WEX 6 WEX 9 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 7 WAF The 2 groups remain separate and sort individually. It gets stranger, though. If I reformat the column to, say, a percent or a currency r...

Time Zone chagnes in 2003
I have read some articles about changing your time zone without effecting the times of appointments by exporting and reimporting, but all these KB's seem to apply to previous versions. Is this still the only way to accomplish this in 2003? And if so what will I loose if I do this (any effect on reoccurrence, linked contacts, categories, labels, locations, show time as, and all day events)? Or does anyone know of any way to do this easier (with a 3rd part app perhaps)? Thank you! it works for all versions. AFAIK, you won't loose anything, but you can try it with a few to see ...

In Excel how do I label the axis of a chart with 2 sets of labels
I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a quantity function against the same axis (usually x). I run Excel 2003 If you plot two series You can select one of them and change the axis to secondary. In chart options you can then modify the Y axies as needed. "Alan" wrote: > I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a > quantity function against the same axis (usually x). > I run Excel 2003 If it's a category axis, put the two sets of labels into adjacent columns (or rows), select the chart and choose Source D...

Custom dat & time code
Does anyone know if it's possible write a custom cell-format code that=20 would look like the one Excel provides (mm/dd hh:mm AM/PM) but sets the=20 time in red? I've tried "mm/dd [RED]hh:mm AM/PM," but whenever I save = it,=20 Excel moves the red bracket to the beginning of the code so the whole = thing=20 is red. Help! Any ideas? I don't think you can. You can't format formulas like this (character by character). And you can't format numbers this way, either. (Anyway, I couldn't do it.) Wuddus wrote: > > Does anyone know if it's possible ...

Time formatting issues
I am nearly finished working on my latest project, a data entry GUI in VBA (2003), and have run into difficulties dealing with time values. Brief project background: It is a simple data entry form which takes various bits of flight data and enters them onto a spreadsheet. The key entries I'm having trouble with are 'Time' values. Two fields are automatically populated with the appropriate 'Departure' and 'Arrival' times based on a 'ListIndex' run during initialization, which allows values for the 'Flight Numbers'. An 'If...Then' stat...

Multiple Column Sorting
I've been reading online about sorting multiple columns and I'm confused. Selecting one column to sort also selects all the other columns as well, at least in Excel 2000 and XP. I didn't see any difference in selecting one column or using the "Then by" boxes, in fact, the "Then by" choices didn't work. If the first column sorted in ascending order, and I chose to sort the second and third columns to sort in descending order, Excel still sorted all three columns in ascending order. If Excel sorts the all the columns together by default, why use the "Then...

SBS2008 - Activesync
Just put a whole bunch of users onto SBS2008 today and configured their mobiles. They really *hate* that their mobile handsets are locking after a short period of inactivity. Is it down to this policy setting ? Activesync - Maximum inactivity time lock 15mins They either want this lengthening considerably or want it disabling altogether. They want to choose when they want to lock their phones. What's the score regards this ? They want it to work the same as it did on their old SBS2003 server. Jim wrote: > Just put a whole bunch of users onto SBS2008 toda...

Sorting in Pivot Charts
I'm using Access 2003 & am trying to sort in a Pivot Chart. I have a single series & I'm trying to sort by the qty of that series. Thanks much in advance, M.C. ...

How do I sort data in column B to align with data in column A?
Im fairly green to Excel but what I am after is I want to be able to sort a range of codes in Column B to basically move and realign to the same row as the data that is in Colmn A eg Start Column A Column B R F G B B H H R F G Finish Column A Column B R R G G B B H H F F Piece a cake. Delete columm B, then copy column A and paste into Column B "Jephri1" wrote: > Im fairly green to Excel but what I am after is I...

How do I sort a column consisting of fractions, decimals, and who.
I need to sort products by the horsepower. Horsepower can be a fraction, decimal or whole number. For example, I need 1/100 to come before 1/10, 1/125 to come before 1/12, 1/10 to come before 1.0, 3/4 to come before 1...etc. Why don't you use the Fraction format under Number format? That way you only enter the decimal value and it will be represented by it's fraction, but the sorter won't be confused. Another option is to use this formula: =IF(ISERR(SEARCH("/",E8)),VALUE(E8),LEFT(E8,SEARCH("/",E8)-1)/RIGHT(E8,SEARCH("/",E8)-1)) Where E8 is ...

Word 2007 Show Markup checkmarks and Date/Time Issue
Hi, I have a new HP desktop computer and finally got Word 2007. I have two questions. In the Review section of Word 2007, the Show Markup subsection has checkmarks for ink, comments, etc. as the default selection. Is there any way to change this default and uncheckmark them so it isn't automatic? I have looked everywhere online for a solution and can't find one. Second, in the bottom right-hand corner of my monitor, the time is showing as usual. However, when I first got my computer (last week), it also showed the date (I loved this feature). After re-starting my compute...

Get Excel to provide equation for my x and y
I am doing an assignment on how hot water gets in degrees celcius when so many kilojoules are supplied to it. i have a graph, with data provided to me for this function. kilojoules is my y, and degrees celcius is my x. i need to get excel to provide an equation that relates heat, y supplied to temp., x, in the range of 0-100 degrees celcius. In A1 type the word temperature; in B1 the word kilojoules Under these enter your data Put the mouse pointer anywhere with in the data; use the Chart Wizard on the toolbar to make an XY chart with just markers (no line) When you have the chart, right...

Field name derived from a string value returns a Run-time error 2465.
I have two labels on a form and want to populate them during the run time of my form. The name of the labels are "1" the other is called "2" (without the quotes of course). Field 1 runs OK but two returns a run-time error 2465. Of course, the real form is much bigger. A lot of fields called 1 through 31 are populated from within a loop. To simplify my question I down sized this post to two label fields. Any one know how to solve the problem with label "2"? Any help or hint is appreciated. ' This works OK Me![1].Caption = "abc"...

Sorting in a custom view not functioning as expected
I just can't shake the feeling this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to get it or find an appropriate Google response. I have saved a custom view for my tasks. In it, I have a custom sort set up for my tasks. (A custom field text field "Grouping" ascending, then "Status" descending, then "Due Date" ascending, if you want to know.) My problem is, it's often convenient to look at things by category, so I (and my little users) click on the "Category" heading to get a quick view of things sorted that way. Then, I want to...

Sorting data that has both text & numbers.
I have a spreadsheet that has a column that contains both text and numbers. ex 1, 100, 101, 100A, 111B, 1251 etc. How do I get this to sort where the alpha letter that follows the # is in # sequence? 100, 100A, 101, 101A etc. The #'s containing the alpha letters sort at the end. I have tried formatting the cell, general, number and text and I'm still having problems. Hi, You will have to insert a column and separate the text from the number then sort. - mark >-----Original Message----- >I have a spreadsheet that has a column that contains both text and numbers. >...

Creat a chart to show peak usage times for a resource
I'm no genius at Excel (2002 or 2003)and I could really use some help on the best way to display some data I have. What it shows is the usage of a training drop-in room, with details of the arrival time and period spent / per user / per day. There seems far too much data to put into a chart in any way that I can think of, but I really would like to be able to illustrate the spread and volume of clients throughout each day. Please can anyone give me simplistic information on how best to creat this as a visual report so that we can easily summarise usage information? Any ideas would be ap...

Offer a feature to disable the sort warning in Excel 2003
This is just a suggestion to MS. Feel free to add your opinion if you wish. Excel should offer a feature to allow experienced users to disable the sort warning in Excel 2003 that pops up everytime you select a range that has info in any of the cells contiguous with that range. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsread...

Height (in points) of data point in chart above x-axis
Hi, Is it possible using VBA to determine the height of a given data point in a Chart worksheet in Excel above the x-axis in terms of points? I can use the InsideHeight property in VBA to get the height of the plot area in points, but I am really interested in determining the number of points above the x-axis a data point sits. Thank you in advance for any assistance with this matter. Scott - What are you trying to do? It may not be necessary to determine the number of points to get the effect you want. There might be a native feature you haven't yet discovered, or perhaps you n...

How do I add time when some of the increments are less than an ho
Please put your question in the body of your message. The question you asked (assuming you meant "hour" rather than "ho") is very broad. ...

Query sorting help
I am in need of assistance with a Query. I have a query that assembles a daily production schedule. The shedule consists of many fields however for the sake of this question i wish to sort the query by a series of four fields. the first fiedld in the query is "DueDate" then by field "press1" then by "Press2" then Press3". The data in the field Due date is the actual date due. The data in "press1" will only be "6c" or nothing. The data in "Press2" will be one of three Strings: "25", "29", or "2...

Value Axis Adjustment
I created a Gnatt Chart with 8 activities. The times on the values axis are listed as 3:50 AM, 4:19 AM, 5:16 AM, 6:14 AM, 6:43 AM, 7:12 AM, 7:40 AM, 8:09 AM, 8:38 AM, however since my activities take place between 5:30 AM and 8:15 AM, I wanted to decrease the time that is displayed on the chart dramatically. For example, I would like to see the time on the values axis displayed in 5, 10, or 15 minute increments. I am assuming this requires me to adjust the minimum, maximum, major unit, minor unit, and category X axis data in the Format Axis, but I am not sure what to enter. Could yo...

Formula for cycle time
Hi, I need a formula to determine cycle time... actually to calculate the number of days from the date in one cell to the date in the other and put it in a third cell... thank you! JBell XL stores times as integer offsets from a base date, so you can use regular math functions: =A2 - A1 In article <1bf6e01c45232$5564ac40$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "JBell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > I need a formula to determine cycle time... actually to > calculate the number of days from the date in one cell to > the date in the other and p...