X Axis, Excel 2007 problem...

I'm sure this is a super simple question.  I just started testing some simple
charts in 2007.  I have a small grid with 4 years and 4 dollar values.
(years are 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007).

I want to make a simple bar chart with the $ values on the Y axis and the
Years on the x axis.  The Dollar values and bars display properly but the X
axis lists 1, 2, 3, 4 under the bars rather than the years.  I can't seem to
find the ribbon or menu to change this to display the years.

Any help is appreciated.
0
timm (30)

Ever since Excel 1997, there has been this problem.
If the x-values are numeric and you have a heading over them, Excel treats
them as a data series and uses 1,2,3... for x-values.
Just remove the heading, make the chart and retype the heading

Years   North  East
2000   $25      $45
2001   $45      $99
2000   $67      $88

Delete the 'Years" to make the chart
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tim m" <timm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure this is a super simple question.  I just started testing some
> simple
> charts in 2007.  I have a small grid with 4 years and 4 dollar values.
> (years are 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007).
>
> I want to make a simple bar chart with the $ values on the Y axis and the
> Years on the x axis.  The Dollar values and bars display properly but the
> axis lists 1, 2, 3, 4 under the bars rather than the years.  I can't seem
> find the ribbon or menu to change this to display the years.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
7/17/2008 5:52:28 PM
Thanks for your help, i also finaly discovered how to reformat it to
eliminate the series and put in the years.  Wish that was a default setting.
Thanks again.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Ever since Excel 1997, there has been this problem.
> If the x-values are numeric and you have a heading over them, Excel treats
> them as a data series and uses 1,2,3... for x-values.
> Just remove the heading, make the chart and retype the heading
>
> Years   North  East
> 2000   $25      $45
> 2001   $45      $99
> 2000   $67      $88
>
> Delete the 'Years" to make the chart
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>

> "tim m" <timm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm sure this is a super simple question.  I just started testing some
> > simple
> > charts in 2007.  I have a small grid with 4 years and 4 dollar values.
> > (years are 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007).
> >
> > I want to make a simple bar chart with the $ values on the Y axis and the
> > Years on the x axis.  The Dollar values and bars display properly but the
> > axis lists 1, 2, 3, 4 under the bars rather than the years.  I can't seem
> > find the ribbon or menu to change this to display the years.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.

0
timm (30)
7/17/2008 7:45:32 PM
If you have all numbers, Excel doesn't know you think one set of numbers is
special. If the first column contains text labels, on the other hand, or
dates, then Excel knows the first column is different. If you put a header
over every column except the first, Excel knows the first column is
different. If everything is a number, Excel doesn't know.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

> Thanks for your help, i also finaly discovered how to reformat it to
> eliminate the series and put in the years.  Wish that was a default
> setting.
> Thanks again.
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> Ever since Excel 1997, there has been this problem.
>> If the x-values are numeric and you have a heading over them, Excel
>> treats
>> them as a data series and uses 1,2,3... for x-values.
>> Just remove the heading, make the chart and retype the heading
>>
>> Years   North  East
>> 2000   $25      $45
>> 2001   $45      $99
>> 2000   $67      $88
>>
>> Delete the 'Years" to make the chart
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>>

>> "tim m" <timm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm sure this is a super simple question.  I just started testing some
>> > simple
>> > charts in 2007.  I have a small grid with 4 years and 4 dollar values.
>> > (years are 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007).
>> >
>> > I want to make a simple bar chart with the $ values on the Y axis and
>> > the
>> > Years on the x axis.  The Dollar values and bars display properly but
>> > the
>> > axis lists 1, 2, 3, 4 under the bars rather than the years.  I can't
>> > seem
>> > find the ribbon or menu to change this to display the years.
>> >
>> > Any help is appreciated.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

multiple Domain name delivery problem