why won't excel allow me to add more data to a chart?

For some of my data I skip days for collecting it so I use the shift key to
click on the days I do want in the chart. I have been doing this for awhile
but now that I'm obtaining more points it has simply stopped letting me add
data points. When I click on the one where it stops collecting it erases all
of the others I have clicked and makes a stop noise. I need to add more data
so why won't it let me??

Hi,

There is a finite limit on the length of the series formula, ~1024
characters.

So this example is for a series with 3 data points in cells A2:B4.
=SERIES(,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$4,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$4,1)

If I use the SHIFT key and select each row individually the formula grows to
=SERIES(,(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$A$3,Sheet1!$A$4),(Sheet1!$B$2,Sheet1!$B$3,Sheet1!$B$4),1)

The simplest way around this is to create a contiguous range of chart data.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

0
Andy

how do i add time up in exel
everytime i use =sum(a1:a30)*24 i keep getting an odd number even though i only enter even numbers ,this is to add my hours worked in a month Tell us what's in a1:a30. If they are all even numbers, you should definitely get an even result. But if they include minutes, you can get an odd number of hours. -- Regards, Fred Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail "loadie" <loadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12306C49-050C-4DED-AD75-2ECEE54A24F7@microsoft.com... > everytime i use =sum(a1:a30)*24 i keep getting an odd number even though > i &g...

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Excel 2007

data input in text box

MS Money 95 data files

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

help with simple maths in excel

Chart template?
I am working with a chart, created from a pivot table. The chart has the various [drop down] fields available for selecting different values for the chart to show. I have formatted the chart with specific settings, fonts, colors, etc., but everytime I use one of the dropdowns, the formatting goes back to the default. I have looked for a place to save as a template, or defaults without luck. Thanks for any help you can provide! Alan ...

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Opening Excel Workbooks

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Sorting Data #5

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Embedded Chart Versus Chart
I've created a class module to capture a Shift+Click on a pivot chart, which then opens the data associated with that point. It works great on pivot charts on their own sheet, but when I use the same code on an embedded chart, it fails (error code -2147417848). Everything seems to work fine, it derives the same row and column values as needed, but the ShowDetail property is unavailable in the embedded charts. Anyone have any insight? james Igoe || james.igoe@gmail.com || http://code.comparative-advantage.com I eventually solved my problem, simply using "On Error Resume Next&...