I have a chart that has blank info in the legend.  I want
to add an * to indicate something, but just inserting a
symbol doesn't work.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
0
anonymous (74722)

Debi -

To add information to the legend, you need to add to a series name.
Right click on the chart, select Source Data from the pop up menu, click
on the series tab, select a series, and either type something in the
name box, or click in it and select a cell with the mouse.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
_______

Debi wrote:

> I have a chart that has blank info in the legend.  I want
> to add an * to indicate something, but just inserting a
> symbol doesn't work.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

0
jonNO1 (306)
2/28/2004 3:17:47 AM
You can't type text in the legend, but you could add a text box to the
chart, and add your note there.

To add a text box,
Select the chart
Type your note, e.g.   *no data available for March 2002
    (you'll see the text in the formula bar as you type)
Press the Enter key
The text box will appear near the centre of the chart
Drag the text box to any location within the chart, and
    format it as desired.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Need invisible/shaded/highlighted cell
I'm thinking what I would like to do can *probably* be done in VBA, but I'd like to use the formula in the cell. If it can be done. I have three columns: DOW DATE BILL DTE --- -------- -------- Wed 02/01/06 02/03/06 Thu 02/02/06 02/06/06 Fri 02/03/06 02/07/06 Sat 02/04/06 02/06/06 Sun 02/05/06 02/07/06 Mon 02/06/06 02/08/06 Tue 02/07/06 02/09/06 Wed 02/08/06 02/10/06 . . . . The date col contains a formula to add 1 to the cell above. The day of week col uses the date from the date column. And the bill date col adds 4 days to the date col if it falls on a "Thu...

lookup formula not picking up correct data
I using Excel 2003 to create a "Lookup" formula to calculate grade points and grade point averages. I want to insert the grade and have the grade converted to a grade point then multiply by the number of credits for the class. I created a vector with the grade and a corresponding vector with the grade point. The formula I am using is =LOOKUP(D6, B1:N1, B2:N2) where D6 is the lookup value (the grade); b1:n1 is the lookup vector; and b2:n2 is the result vector. The result is that I get an "#N/A" error message when I input some grades, I get the incorrect gra...

linking cells #3
I have a calendar created in Excel - each sheet is a new month that contains the following information: the last week of the previous month, the current month, and the first week of the next month. I would like to link the cells from the "overlapping" weeks, but I do not want the "0" to show up in the cells. Is there any way to prevent this? Thanks in advance! Paula Either choose not to show zero values through Tools>Options>View or trap the zero and turn to a blank-looking character. =IF(sheet1!A1="","",sheet1!A1) Gord Dibben Excel M...

Transparent bitmap in FlexGrid cell?
I have a bitmap in the resource (IDB_PICTURE). I need to display it on a FlexGrid's cell with transparent background. Could someone show me how? This is the only function available to put a picture on a cell CFlexGrid::putref_CellPicture(LPDISPATCH) Thank you. ...

a little help with finding and associating cells
ok so here is my dilemma, I need a formula that will look at a cell value on one work sheet, check for the same value on another work sheet in a defined column, and insert a coresponding value from another column...... is that even remotely possible??? any help would be greatly appreciated.... -- rcarrollct ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rcarrollct's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24931 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384671 It's called VLOOKUP. http://www.offi...

"Diagonal" cells
Hi. I'm doing a tricky poor-man's-Illustrator project with Excel 2007. I'm trying to create the impression of a large cell that's been split in half diagonally (with a diagonal ascending from bottom left to top right). I've created a 2 x 2 grid of cells and put a diagonal border through the lower left and top right cells and removed the vertical, internal borders. Looks great so far. In addition, I'd like to place text in the upper left and lower right cells. Ideally, this text would be wider than the upper left or lower right cell and would flow over into the adja...

insert symbols in text cell
i would to insert "-" to the text cell format, how to do? example: 123456 change to 123-456 -- SelinaT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SelinaT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33675 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=534451 Assuming the data posted is representative (6 digits, with dash to be inserted in centre) and running in A1 down Try in B1: =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,3) Copy down Then copy col B, and overwrite col A with Paste special &g...

Printing Formatted Cells
I have conditional format on a cell to format with say Fill Red ... It displays OK on the screen but doesn't appear when printed? I'm sure it'll be something obvious! Is your print setting for color, or B&W? Long shot, but I'm not sure of any other reason why what-you-see is not what-you-get. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C94E101A-9579-4FDB-8AEF-91D59E1EC3A4@microsoft.com... >I have conditional format on a cell to format with say Fill Red ... It > displays OK on the sc...

minimum cell value
Hi, I am trying to set up a cell so it has a minimum value. The current formula is: =a1/a2*5 which gives the answer 0 but i need to show a minimum value of 1 is this possible? Hi, Doug, Try: =Max(a1/a2*5,1) --- Regards, Norman "Doug Bell" <Doug Bell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8766BC4D-D3CD-4B4F-AF7B-FD145DE56205@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to set up a cell so it has a minimum value. > > The current formula is: =a1/a2*5 which gives the answer 0 but i need to > show > a minimum value of 1 is this possible? > ...

I can not see all contents in one cell. Help me pls!
Please help me! By default when I write some text in cell and the text is longer then cell's width, I can not see his contents in next cells. But in one excel file when I sellect all cells in worksheet and then draging them it can no longer seen all contents in one cell. What I should to do? Thank you in advance! If you have wraptext turned on (format|cells|alignment tab), then the cell will expand its rowheight to show you all the data. (unless you use merged cells or have adjusted the rowheight manually). If you have wraptext turned off, then the text will overflow to the cell to ...

Formula that returns the sheetname
Does anyone know of a formula that would return the active sheetname? http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html "TimT" wrote: > Does anyone know of a formula that would return the active sheetname? Great Link! The formula was =MID(CELL("filename",A1), FIND("]", CELL("filename", A1))+ 1, 255) ....yeah, like I was gonna figure that one out on my own. "David Hepner" wrote: > http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html > > > "TimT" wrote: > > > Does anyone know of a form...

format to calculation cell
I have a spreadsheet which has a weight column. This is exported as 25kg, 1000kg, 10x2kg from another program. I am trying to use this weight column in a calculation. I have inserted a new column and copied the information over and then used the find/replace to remove the KG to use in the calc cell. This works fine for the 25 / 1000 etc, but the 10x2 will not caculate. Is there a way that when i paste the cells that i can get it to change to 20 automatically. ( i presume that the x will need to be a * ?) thanks. -- mdma --------------------------------------------------------------...

Excel Formulae #3
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with value in one column & a series of dates in 5 other columns.For each row depending on the value in the first colunm a date may be applicable in one or more of the other columns.e.g 550 in the first column will mean dates will be inserted in the next 2 columns similar to authority levels. My qn. is how can I show what's outstanding if the relevant authority levels have not signed off-basically this is used as a tracker of invoices & I would like to show what is outstanding awaiting approval at anytime. Thanks Raj ----------------------------------...

I don't know which formula to use?
I need help understanding which formula I should use. . . I have built a table similar to the one below on a sheet of my workbook. On a separate sheet, I need to be able to input ONLY two variables (state and fruit) and return information (the cost) defined in the table below. As an example: Inputting the variables of Texas and Bananas should return $4.00. I need to be able to change Texas to Florida and the formula should immediately update to the value to $6.00. Another example: Inputting the variables of Texas and Bananas should return $4.00. I need to be able to ...

Weird problem -- formulas get lost but their values stay in place
I have a client who uses Excel files that link out to other excel files. The formulas in the "main" file calculate from data in the linked files. So, the formula is in the main file. When they close the main file and re-open it, the formulas are gone, but the last calculated value remains. Does anyone have an idea why this would happen? Thanks, Bill One way might be because a "Before Save" or "Before Close" Macro is doing a Copy > Paste special > Values........ Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Bill" <bdotson@gmail.com> wrote in message...

Formatting cell for state abbreviations
I am unable to format cell to accept ME, the abbreviation for Maine. It continues to revert to a lowercase "E" as in "Me" while other states such as NH, VA and LA maintain their uppercase second letter. What am I doing wrong? Thank you -- LovesArt247 This is a AutoCorrect item for people who mistype the word "Me" (as in me myself) Tools | Autocorrect; locate and remove this entry -- remember it will effect all Office apps OR: after Excel gives you Me, use CTRL+Z to undo best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme rem...

Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell it gets deselected
While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 seconds, that particular cell gets deselected followed by the workbook. So each time I need to click either the cell or workbook to enter data in that particular sheet. There could be event code that is being fired. Does this happen if you open the workbook with macros disabled? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "towinwin" <towinwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7B87AFB-27AC-4235-9AE3-5E7A46310AF8@microsoft.com... > While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 se...

how do I highlite text within a cell (specific characters)
I am trying to high light specific characters within a cell. (similiar to the way text can be high lighted in word. Can this be done in Excell. I dont want to change the colour of the cell or the colour of the text - but do want to high light specific parts of the text with in a cell Just select that part of the text and format as per your requirement by going to cells > format > font. Mangesh "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9781298-1301-4FE1-9901-9D1C03504504@microsoft.com... > I am trying to high light specific characters within a ...

Array formula difficulty
I have an array formula which finds a negative average correctly but not a positive average for a small column of numbers For example I have a small column containing positive and negative numbers - formatted as percentages. Column A1:A20 I have manually filled the first 13 cells in the column with numbers and have no gaps. For the last 7 cells I have put in a simple formula to copy a value from another cell if that cell has a value, otherwise to leave the cell blank. Accordingly the last 7 cells are empty. Now I would like to find the average of the last 2 negative numbers in the column an...

Cell colors
In Format Cells (Excel 2008), there are 40 colors in the top five rows and 16 more colors in the bottom two rows. I see how to change the colors in the top rows (Preferences > Colors), but how do you change the ones in the bottom rows? Charles ...

how to copy a row of cells automatically from one worksheet to another by changing the value of1cell
Hello. I have 8 cells on the same row in one worksheet that I would like to be automatically copied to a predefined area in one of 3 other worksheets in my file depending on the number (1, 2 or 3) entered in one cell adjacent to these 8 cells. Is this possible and, if so, how could it be done? Thanks very much for any help you can offer me with this. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** David, You could use the worksheet change event: this will copy the eight cells from the s...

RE: Xcel2000 cell highlighting
Hi We have a client that is using Office 2000. He has a very odd problem with Excel that we simply cant get sorted out. I thought itwas some sort of virus, but the software after being updated, detects nothing... Please help! When the client clicks on one cell and starts highlighting his fields, his mouse continues highlighting even after the mouse button is not clicked anymore. He can't exit Excel until he Ctrl,Alt-Delete. Any Tips on what the cause could be? Many Thanks Jacques Brand IT Manager CompuMan (Cape Town) South Africa Jacques, If it highlights from a constant "bas...

Splitting information from one cell into two cells
I have a multi page workbook. On Sheet 1 I have a cell that contains a person's full name (first and last name). I would like to automatically transfer the name to other sheets in the workbook but I would like the first and last names to be placed into separate cells in Sheets 2, 3, 4, etc. How do I do this? Thanks!! Hi, Use Menu--Data--Text to Columns... jeff >-----Original Message----- >I have a multi page workbook. On Sheet 1 I have a cell >that contains a person's full name (first and last >name). I would like to automatically transfer the name >to o...

Cells Change Color in 2007
I have a file that was created in 2003 with pivot tables in it. When it is opened in 2007 some of the filters on the pivot table are filled in black, but not all of them. It recently added another cell to its blackening. They are not filled when I open it in 2003. I can't re-save it in 2007 because of some other Macros issues, but even if you do it will sometimes change them back to black again... ...

Going to certain cell address
Hi, Maybe I was not clear in my previouse posting dated 17/1/07 @ 10:45PM. What I ment is: if C1=1 need to go to cell address a8 if c1=2 need to go to cell address a68 ....... ...... and so on In other words: If i entered the value of 2 in cell c1 and press enter key I want to go to the cell addresss A68 Hope that I made myself more clear. Khalil A small macro would do the trick. Adapt as needed and put it into the code page of "ThisWorkbook" Cheers, Joerg Mochikun Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveCell = [c1] Then ...