Vertical Lines on the Lines on 2 Axes Chart

I was wondering if it is possible to place a vertical line in the
"Lines on 2 Axes" Chart.

I usually add extra data series if I want to make extra lines but for
this type of graph, it very difficult if not impossible.  Adding
Horizontal lines are no problem because that's the direction my data is
going but the vertical conflicts with it.  When I try and specify the
location I want the vertical line to be at, it ends up getting very
messy.  Any advice?

Judokid

It's probably better to start with the regular line chart type, rather than
the built-in custom lines on two axes type. Then double click one series,
and on the Axis tab, select Secondary.

To add a line in H or V orientation:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

<Justin_Yuen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if it is possible to place a vertical line in the
> "Lines on 2 Axes" Chart.
>
> I usually add extra data series if I want to make extra lines but for
> this type of graph, it very difficult if not impossible.  Adding
> Horizontal lines are no problem because that's the direction my data is
> going but the vertical conflicts with it.  When I try and specify the
> location I want the vertical line to be at, it ends up getting very
> messy.  Any advice?
>
> Judokid

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/1/2006 11:12:23 PM
I've tried starting with the line graph and adding a bar graph series
onto it and I'm getting decent results.  So right now, I've got both
axis' used up.  Secondary axis for the bar graph and primary axis for a
line graph.  Now on top of this, I need to add a vertical line in a
graph.  I tried adding another data series and changing the chart type
of that series.  However, the XY Scatter and the basic line graphs
don't seem to work.

Jon Peltier wrote:
> It's probably better to start with the regular line chart type, rather than
> the built-in custom lines on two axes type. Then double click one series,
> and on the Axis tab, select Secondary.
>
> To add a line in H or V orientation:
>
>   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> <Justin_Yuen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I was wondering if it is possible to place a vertical line in the
> > "Lines on 2 Axes" Chart.
> >
> > I usually add extra data series if I want to make extra lines but for
> > this type of graph, it very difficult if not impossible.  Adding
> > Horizontal lines are no problem because that's the direction my data is
> > going but the vertical conflicts with it.  When I try and specify the
> > location I want the vertical line to be at, it ends up getting very
> > messy.  Any advice?
> >
> > Judokid

You mean Column, not Bar, right?

The XY series can go onto the same axes as the Line chart. The first
category is 1 for the XY series, the second is 2, etc., so the axis probably
goes from 0.5 to N + 0.5, where N is the number of categories in the Line
series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

> I've tried starting with the line graph and adding a bar graph series
> onto it and I'm getting decent results.  So right now, I've got both
> axis' used up.  Secondary axis for the bar graph and primary axis for a
> line graph.  Now on top of this, I need to add a vertical line in a
> graph.  I tried adding another data series and changing the chart type
> of that series.  However, the XY Scatter and the basic line graphs
> don't seem to work.
>

> Jon Peltier wrote:
>> It's probably better to start with the regular line chart type, rather
>> than
>> the built-in custom lines on two axes type. Then double click one series,
>> and on the Axis tab, select Secondary.
>>
>> To add a line in H or V orientation:
>>
>>   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>> _______
>>
>> <Justin_Yuen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I was wondering if it is possible to place a vertical line in the
>> > "Lines on 2 Axes" Chart.
>> >
>> > I usually add extra data series if I want to make extra lines but for
>> > this type of graph, it very difficult if not impossible.  Adding
>> > Horizontal lines are no problem because that's the direction my data is
>> > going but the vertical conflicts with it.  When I try and specify the
>> > location I want the vertical line to be at, it ends up getting very
>> > messy.  Any advice?
>> >
>> > Judokid

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Script #2
I am using exchange server for a company based calendar, and POP3 email. Exchange keeps setting itself as the default account, and when my user try to send email, the emails will return to them saying unable to send mail. There is supposed to be script that you can disable to stop this from happening. Does any one know how to do this? On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 06:01:04 -0700, "Rkd2398" <Rkd2398@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using exchange server for a company based calendar, and POP3 email. >Exchange keeps setting itself as the default account, and when my user ...

A CString question #2
Hi to all, Given the following: CString sTheString = "Hello world"; void UseTheString(CString s) { ... } Where UseTheString() is a function that takes a string as an argument. My questions are the following: 1. Is it rather better to use the below version of the function? If yes, why? void UseTheString(LPCTSTR s) { ... } 2. When can I substitute a CString with a LPCTSTR and vice versa? Thanks a lot, Geo Geo wrote: > Hi to all, > > Given the following: > > CString sTheString = "Hello world"; > void UseTheString(CString s) &...

Junk E-mail filter problems in Outlook 2003 #2
The Junk E-mail Options - Safe Senders tab states "E-mail from addresses or domain names on your Safe Senders List will never be treated as junk e-mail. In that list I have (for example) nytdirect@nytimes.com which is the from address for a daily DealBook summary to which I have subscribed. Yet, in an unpredictable pattern, email from this address lands in my Junk E-mail folder. Each time, I click on the "Not Junk" toolbar button and am then informed in a "Mark as Not Junk" dialog box that "This message will be moved back into the Inbox Folder." I then leave...

multi line menubar ???
Hi! I am creating a MFC-app using VC++.NET and my main.window will just have a menubar, that means that I dont have a client-area. I found out how to limit the size of the window to the size of the menubar, by overriding WM_GETMINMAXINFO and setting the appropriate size. sometimes the menubar can have multiple lines and I need to find a way how to determine the number of lines of the menubar to correctly calculate the maximum cy of my window. any help on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated, thanx in advance! best regards, Hans -----------------------------------------------...

Deleting Phantom Lines in Excel
I am finding phantom lines when I print. They are not in the file and don't show up on the print preview. Please help ...

Sumproduct and the darn dates! #2
Great - it worked! Thank you. : -- Krelle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Kreller's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1163 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27044 glad it helped -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kreller" <Kreller.1edlop@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Kreller.1edlop@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Great - it worked! Thank you. :) > > > -- > Kreller > -----------------------------------------...

SMTP line too long?
Messages from a certain source are being bounced when sent to our server. This is happening with different accounts on our exchange 2003 server but not all. The source domain is not being blocked by spam. Their server reports the following when the message bounces. the record from our SMTP log is below: -------------------------- Reporting-MTA: dns; gomailsecpn01.worldspan.net Final-Recipient: rfc822;enelson@mydomain.org Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 500 5.5.0 Syntax error - line too long Remote-MTA: dns; owa.mydomain.org Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 ------- on our side, I see the follwing in...

CRM 1.2 & 3 on the sae server
Is it possible to install a CRM 3 on the same server (and not to upgrade) where the 1.2 CRM is already installed? I dont believe you can do that, unless you are using server virtualization. "David Massard" wrote: > Is it possible to install a CRM 3 on the same server (and not to upgrade) > where the 1.2 CRM is already installed? Both versions use the same registry hive, so they can not run on the same machine. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "chad.buser@ncsi.cc" <chadbuserncsicc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:885DC6E8-3226-4D1F-9...

Data analysis by 2-dimensional data table + database
Hello, in an old Excel-manual (possibly way back to version 3) by Microsoft there was an excellent example of a 2-dimensional datatable (in German: Mehrfachoperation) with input variables based on database results. Now I would need to apply this technique, but my old manual is lost, and I can't figure out by heart exactly how this was done. Does somebody still have an old manual from which to draw the model, or can let me know the deatils of the trick? Thank you in advance. Kind regards, H.G. Lamy H., I think that you are talking about a cross-tab table....

Export chart value
I would like to export a chart without the link source from table data worksheet. Please help me. Thanks:mad: -- excelvn ------------------------------------------------------------------------ excelvn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32724 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=555867 Hi, Maybe Jon Peltier's page on delinking chart data will help. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/DelinkChartData.html Cheers Andy excelvn wrote: > I would like to export a chart without the link source from table da...

Web Integration #2
Is anyone using a web integration solution with more than one site from the same database other than the Kosmos solution? Bill Hobby Central On Oct 26, 12:25=A0pm, Hobby Central <HobbyCent...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is anyone using a web integration solution with more than one site from t= he > same database other than the Kosmos solution? > > Bill > Hobby Central We have 7 or 8 plus e-commerce sites using one database on the Nitrosell platform. Nitrosell ties in real time with your inventory, and as you add additional web stores you add additional columns...

Sorting problem #2
Dear all, I have a list of integers from A1 to A10. If I would like to store the absolute address of the third cell counted from the top in column A containing "1" in B1, what formula should I use? For example, if the data from A1 to A10 are 3, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 3, I want B1 stores "$A$5" as A5 is the third cell containing "1". Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Chris Chris, One way Add a column B with the cell names i.e a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,etc Enter in C1 ...........=B3 do a sort on A column after selecting a1:b10 Use the undo button, enter ne...

Followup Flag Reminder #2
Hello, I have issues using 'Flag Reminder' feature. I have setup rules wizard to move messages to different folders. Now if I flag a message that has been moved to a different folder, I don't get any reminders, though I am getting reminders if the flagged message is in the Inbox itself. Has anyone faced this problem? How do I resolve this? Thanks, Ravi Reminders will only fire from the Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks folders in the default mail store. You'd need a 3rd party add-in to make them work in other folders. See www.slovaktech.com for a couple of add-ins...

Display Empty Cells as Bar on Bar Chart
I'm creating a spreadsheet to track patch deployment and it has five phases: Initial, Test, Pilot, Due Date and Production. Most of the cells have dates in them but some don't. I would like for the cells with no dates to either show a bar associated with the phase with no date or show nothing, meaning there would be a break in the bar. Is this possible? url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1029-1.aspx ...

Only 2000 characters in CRM 1.2?
HI, I have using MS CRM 1.2 and we seem to be limited in the notes section for Phone calls and letters to 2000 characters which we find VERY limiting. Is there any way around this at all? CHeers, Paul Yeah...upgrade! EnigmaPaul@gmail.com schreef: > HI, > > I have using MS CRM 1.2 and we seem to be limited in the notes section > for Phone calls and letters to 2000 characters which we find VERY > limiting. > > Is there any way around this at all? > > CHeers, > > Paul ...

automate 2dline with marker chart generation
In generating line charts with markers, I can change the color of the markers, but not the marker lines and series lines. The VBA code for the markers is: .SeriesCollection(1).Select With Selection .MarkerStyle = xlDiamond .MarkerSize = 9 End With .SeriesCollection(1).Format.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 200, 25) What are the references for the marker lines and the lines between the series points? Excel 2007 Chart Format markers and point line segments. http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/10_31_09a.xlsm the "Herbert Sei...

Excel book #2
Witch is the best excel book? marquetta.kayes@booomail.com Depends upon where you start from, and what you want to achieve. Check out John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Bible as a start. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "marquetta kayes" <marquetta.kayes@livepharm.com> wrote in message news:1a5c7$42e4a746$d99c5301$8690@allthenewsgroups.com... > Witch is the best excel book? > > marquetta.kayes@booomail.com Considering you can get it delivered to your inbox, free, you might want to try MrExcel's new book. http://www...

Cash Sales Entry #2
How to do a cash sales entry? You mean a cash-basis accounting type of entry or a sales transaction where you are receiving cash (as opposed to check or credit card)? New User wrote: > How to do a cash sales entry? ...

how to change range for dynamic chart in excel 2000 with button?
i need a help please. i have problem in excel chart. i add data to the table. and then if i want to update my chart i need to change the range too, isn't it? is there any solution for that? i've already use dynamic chart. but it always show data from Jan04 till Jan05. If I add Feb05 it will change from Feb04 to Feb05. what about if i want to see Dec03 till Dec04? is there any command or something else like using macro or vb? thank you in advance.. ivan Ivan, You should be able to set the dynamic chart to show just about any range you want. These articles should help: http://pu...

MS POS 2.0 install in Spanish
Hi Everyone, I want to install MS POS 2.0 in Spanish. Has anyone accomplished this? Thanks, Patricia Hi Patricia.... You have to contact Mr Louis Piedra in Scansource technologies. They are the latin american partners of Microsoft RMS. I understand that they have already the files needed to run RMS 2.0 in spanish. "Patricia" wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > I want to install MS POS 2.0 in Spanish. Has anyone accomplished this? > Thanks, > > Patricia ...

Cannot delete a public folder #2
Hello, I have a public folder under all public folders that I cannot delete. When I try to delete it in Outlook is says "Some items could not be deleted. They were either moved or already deleted, or access was denied." When I try to delete the folder from ESM it asks me if if I'm sure, I click yes and then get prompted for authentication. I have tried both the domain adminstrators account and the account I use to administer the domain and Exchange. It just keeps prompting me for a user name and password until finally it says access denied. I've gone through just abou...

customise timeline
Hi there, I need to set up a customised timeline with a "day 0" - it's to do a month end timetable for an accounting function. Day 0 would be the last day of the month and is the reference point day -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 4 etc Do you know how I can set this up? At the moment it goes from day 1 to day -1 and I need a day 0 in between. Thanks Thanks, Hi robbo, Are you trying to customize the Gantt chart timeline? If so, I'm sorry, the answer is no. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mv...

Unable to open excel file #2
Hi. I have problem openning an excel file from windows explorer or from my desktop. However, when I open the excel program and open a file manually(File-Open----) everything works fine. I get an error message that the file could not be located. I noticed that it adds .xls to every word separated by space. For example: My file is in C:/Shared/Folder/test.xls, it tries to open: C:/Shared.xls then Folder.xls then test.xls Please help. Thanks. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi! I think the steps below will solve this problem: 1. Exit Excel 2. From the Startmenu, cli...

Add line to horizontal bar chart
I've made a bar chart with horizontal bars (the Y axis running from left to right as you look at the screen). I would like to convers my second series from a bar to a line, but whatyever I do Excel seems to create it on a secondary Y axis that is vertical. When I go into 'format data series' it won't let me plot it on the primary axis as the whole thing is greyed out. Can anybody help me? I'm working in Excel 97 by the way. Hi, Have a look at these examples. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Hrafn wrote: > I've made a bar chart ...

how do I link a text box on a chart to a specific data point?
I have a text box in a chart that I want to move with the data, as additional data is added to the chart. For instance, if the datapoint is January 5, 2008, as I add additional days, I want the text box associated with the January 5, 2008 datapoint to move with the graph. Hi, Text boxes don't track with the data. Replace the text box with a Data Label. Select a single point in a series that is near the location of the text box. Choose Format, Selected Data Point, on the Data Labels tab turn on Value. Click OK. Select the data label and type the text that was in the Text box. ...