Vertical line isn't vertical!

Hi All -

I need to insert a 'dynamic' vertical line into a line-chart -- the
line will separate the Past from the Future.  After some searching, I
found Jon Peltier's site, which had some really good information on it
...... but I just can't get it work!

Right now, the vertical line is in the correct spot and 'moves'
properly -- but the line isn't quite horizontal, more of an 85deg angle
(like this: / ).  The vertical line is definitely setup as an XY
scatter connected with a line (no markers).  What am I doing wrong?  Or
did I miss a step?

Thanks, Ray

0
rschinzel (14)

Hello again ...

Some additional information....when I mouse-over the two endpoints, I
get the following information:
Point 1 - Series 'today', Point '37' (1,0)
Point 2 - Series 'today', Point '37' (2,1)

Where are the 'coordinates' coming from and how do I change them?  I
saw on Jon's example file that the coordinates actually has a different
format (the 'Point' is the first number in the coordinates).

thanks, ray

rschinzel@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All -
>
> I need to insert a 'dynamic' vertical line into a line-chart -- the
> line will separate the Past from the Future.  After some searching, I
> found Jon Peltier's site, which had some really good information on it
> ..... but I just can't get it work!
>
> Right now, the vertical line is in the correct spot and 'moves'
> properly -- but the line isn't quite horizontal, more of an 85deg angle
> (like this: / ).  The vertical line is definitely setup as an XY
> scatter connected with a line (no markers).  What am I doing wrong?  Or
> did I miss a step?
>
> Thanks, Ray

0
rschinzel (14)
9/12/2006 5:03:49 PM
Aren't the coordinates on the sheet where the series gets its values? If
it's a vertical line, you change one X value in the series' source data
range so that both points have the same X value. If the chart is embedded on
the sheet, select the series, and the source data for the series will be
highlighted with light rectangular outlines. If you can't find the source
range, go to Source Data on the Chart menu, click on the Series tab, select
the 'today' series in the list, and use the X and Y value input boxes to
find the source data ranges.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<rschinzel@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello again ...
>
> Some additional information....when I mouse-over the two endpoints, I
> get the following information:
> Point 1 - Series 'today', Point '37' (1,0)
> Point 2 - Series 'today', Point '37' (2,1)
>
> Where are the 'coordinates' coming from and how do I change them?  I
> saw on Jon's example file that the coordinates actually has a different
> format (the 'Point' is the first number in the coordinates).
>
> thanks, ray
>

> rschinzel@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi All -
>>
>> I need to insert a 'dynamic' vertical line into a line-chart -- the
>> line will separate the Past from the Future.  After some searching, I
>> found Jon Peltier's site, which had some really good information on it
>> ..... but I just can't get it work!
>>
>> Right now, the vertical line is in the correct spot and 'moves'
>> properly -- but the line isn't quite horizontal, more of an 85deg angle
>> (like this: / ).  The vertical line is definitely setup as an XY
>> scatter connected with a line (no markers).  What am I doing wrong?  Or
>> did I miss a step?
>>
>> Thanks, Ray

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

In a Line-column graph on 2 axes, how do I stack the columns?
In a line-column gaph in Excel 2003, I need to stack 2 columns on the y axis, leaving the line on the right hand axis unchanged. can i do this in chart types, or can I set up my data table some way that this will happen automatically? Any advice would be appreciated. thanks I know of no way that the data table can signal the chart engine what type of chart is needed The best way would be to make a stacked column chart; select on data sereies on the cahrt and change it to a Line Then move it to the secondary axis You could record all these steps into a macro best wishes -- ...

Lines of text move when viewed in print preview and printed
I am inserting pictures with-in paragraphs of text. I have tried formating as both exact and in-line, using top/bottom. The text moves up 1-2 lines when printed or viewed in print preview. This change in text lines also happens when view is changed from 50% to 100%. I am working with two column text and the pictures are inserted into each column. How can I fix this problem? What version of Windows and Publisher are you using??? You people that think we have crystal balls or are mind readers are exasperating! -- >-----Original Message----- >What version of Windows and Publi...

Sales line totals not adding up
Have a weird situation. We have a sales invoice that has an incorrect total. I added the totals of the line items and I am off. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks. Marisol, While entering the transaction, something would have happened to this transaction. Just get the users log out, run check links on Sales Transaction Work Tables. Then, Go to the transaction,see if it's corrected, if not, you can delete the transaction and re-enter the same. -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Marisol" wrote: > Have a weird situation. We have a sale...

Adding Lines to a worksheet
I know there is a macro that when active, will automatically add additional lines to a worksheet. What is that macro? Hi Deborah, Try this posting by Bob Phillips: Sub InsertRowsAndFillFormulas() Dim x x = InputBox( _ prompt:="How many rows do you want to add?", _ Title:="Add Rows") If x = "" Or x < 1 Then Exit Sub Else ActiveCell.Resize(x, 1).EntireRow.Insert End If End Sub >-----Original Message----- >I know there is a macro that when active, will >automatically add additional lines to a workshe...

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

"Left-to-right Vertical" text direction (Vertical for Mongolian)
In Publisher 2007 or 2010 Beta, Text direction can't be changed to "left-to-right vertical" even though MS Word 2007 and Power Point 2007 can do that. In Word or Power Point, the menu selection was called "vertical for Mongolian" . The function is very useful for people who edit traditional Mongolian, Sibe and Manchu language text. I hope Publisher can add this fuction. Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree...

separate lines in excel
I posted this in this group on saturday. The first half is my question. The 2nd half is the response. My question today... What do I do with it. I think it goes into the visual basic editor but I have been wrong before. Thats why I am here. If that is the case how do I run it. If not the case what do I do with it. Can I copy and paste it? Thanks Question Here is a problem I have: 123456789 134567890 135678901 1456789012 157890123 this group of numbers is in my Sheet and each line is in a row by itself and they are in 9 different columns. for brevity I ...

How Do I Share an Excel Workbook on line with 3 others?
Help tells me that I open the application Tools Online WebDiscussions If nothing happens click Discussions Which asks me to add a discussion server and it is at this point that I get stuck. Does anyone know what discussion servers are out there. I have searched in Excel and here but I keep being told that I should type in the Discussion Server set up by my administrator. It's a home computer ergo I am the administrator and would welcome help on this extremely timely issue. Many thanks Rosee ...

Adding a line Chart Type to a stacked-clustered Chart Type
I have columns and stacked columns side by side in a chart. I tried to add another data point, but as a line instead of a column. The line does not appear on the chart itself but does show as a data series in the legend. I have an example I could email but not sure how to attach to these messages. Debbie - What does your data look like? Is the data (X & Y) for the line within the same range as the columns? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Debbie wrote: > I have columns a...

Error when create chartobject on line ".HasTitle = True"
Hi, I gett runtime 1004 at line "HasTitle = True" The peculiar thing is that yesterday it worked ok. I saved it, slept, and now I get the error. I have tested to put the Has title ocde in the end of the sub, after seriescollections etc, but with same results. Any ideas, anybody? /Kind regards tskogstrom Sub CreateChartCF() Dim cht As Chart Dim chtTitle As String chtTitle = "CashFlow & PayBack" On Error Resume Next '(if no chartobject) Sheet2.ChartObjects("R_CF").Delete On Error GoTo 0 If Sheet1.Range("Years").Value > 1 Then With Sh...

Monthly contract lines
Hello, I need to be able to provide my clients 60 minutes allotments each month, then start again with a clean set of 60 minutes each month. What is the best way of doing this? I.e. perhaps automatically create a new contract line each month? Thanks for your recommendation Tony ...

Number of lines printed on page
On our sales documents, when we have a lot of lines the last few lines are printing over the footer information. Line item comments are added to many items and the comments range from 1 to 4 lines. How can I force a new page based on the total number of lines printed? Thanks. -- Jim@TurboChef Jim Increase the size of your Page Footer and Report Footer to decrease the amount of lines available for the body to print in. Normally with a form, the Page Header size should match the Report Header size and the Page Footer size should match the Report Footer size. Hope this helps David M...

Messages with [BULK] in the subject line
I'm getting lots of messages lately that are marked [BULK] in the subject line. I am running Exchange 2K3. Is this a function of exchange, or is something else inserting this into the subject lines? Many of our users are experiencing the same issue. Our spam filtering is being done by our ISP, which is why I'm asking this in the first place. My concern is to discover whether it is us, or the ISP. Hi Joe, Exchange by default does not mark messages as [BULK], there are many 3rd pary products which could be configured to do this, but I assume you dont have any installed. Th...

Inserting line after recalculating
Hi, Assume that I have three worksheets "one", "two", "three" and in every of them is cell with random-generated data. Now, I have addinational worksheet, say "memory". I want to have inserted new line to memory after each once when data was recalculated. That line should include: in first cell random-generated data from "one", in second - from "second" etc. And data which are already saved in "memory" should be fixed. Is there possibility to do that? Thanks in advance for response, Greetings. ...

Two lines and pne column
I am trying to modify one of the custom charts to show two line and one column rather than two columns and one line. can anyone help. Ian - Forget the custom type. Make a chart with all three series as lines, select the one series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select the Column style you want. Voila, your first custom combination chart. There's more about Combination Charts on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech....

how to remove line numbers in excel
I am fairly new to excel and need to know how to remove the line numbers and the alphabetical cell letters at the top of my page. They appear when I print my report and I have been trying for hours to fix the problem but to no avail. I live in a remote area & don't have any assistance available. Thanks a heap to anyone in advance for your time. -- aquietachiever Hi, In print preview use the Setup button to display the Page Setup dialog. On the Sheet tab is a section Print. make sure 'Row and column headings' is unchecked. Cheers Andy bitty_betsy wrote: > I am fairl...

Subclassing CListBox to report a vertical scroll.
I use a subclass of CListBox that passes a message to the parent dialog when a list box vertical scroll occurs. This implementation works well. But now I have a dialog that has two list boxes. Messages originating from both list boxes appear in the same dialog message handler function. QUESTION: How can I change my implementation so that the dialog knows which list box generated the message? Here is my code: #define MESSAGE_LIST_BOX_VSCROLL (WM_APP + 1) void MyListBox::OnVScroll(UINT nSBCode, UINT nPos, CScrollBar* pScrollBar) { GetParent()->SendMessage(MESSAGE_LIST_BOX_VSCROLL...

Can't get grid lines
I can't get the grid lines in my worksheet even when I check it on the options. What am I doing wrong? Hi Maybe you have a white background on the cells? Andy. "W. Wells" <otf70@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:jLVPf.59931$no3.46483@tornado.southeast.rr.com... >I can't get the grid lines in my worksheet even when I check it on the >options. What am I doing wrong? > What background should I have? <Andy> wrote in message news:eF20Uu3QGHA.5716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Maybe you have a white background on the cells? > > And...

Missing lines on a graphic problem.
Hello, a plea for help please. Using Excel 2002 on Windows XP, I've built a table of data and attempted a line graph. A couple of lines are drawn, but other lines only have the symbols drawn without the lines connecting them together. Please see http://www.bacchae.co.uk/images/tl-chart.gif for a screenshot. Any ideas please? Many thanks. ...

Grid Lines at begining of every year?
I have a 10+ year chart, starting June 1992 and ending Dec-2003. I want the vertical grid line at every Jan-1st and the axis labels Jan-93, Jan-94, Jan-95 etc. Right now, they are June-93, June-94 etc.. Thanks. Sam - Look at the Arbitrary Gridlines example on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryGridlines.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Sam wrote: > I have a 10+ year chart, starting June 1992 and ending Dec-2003. I want the > vertical grid line at every Jan-1st and...

Trend line
On one of my graphs I have the following information................ weeks 1 - 13 For weeks say 1 - 6 I have � values. I have a trend line in place but because values are not in for weeks 7 - 13 the trend line goes into a minus. Is there a way to stop this? I would ideally only like to see the trend on the weeks where a value is entered. thanks -- In the places where you have no data enter =NA() This shows as #N/A and is ignored by the chart Just replace each one as data come sit best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from e...

Lines from chart are not joined
Hi, I have charts where my data are joined by lines, but there are a two points where the lines are not joined and then the data continue to be joined by lines. Is there a reason why the two poins are not joining? Is there a way to fix it? Thanks Miguel Tell us about your data best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Miguel" <Miguel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:732494AB-DBE7-4957-9C6B-0DE9A3260299@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I have charts where my data are joined by lines, but t...

Confused, help with this line please!
Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp works fine, but Worksheets(3).Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp gives a runtime error 1004 message. why? ( function is in worksheet 1 ) try it this way Sheets(3).Range("a9:f9").Delete Shift:=xlUp Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "serdar" <serdarsoy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eaBhR0pbFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp > > works fine, but > > Worksheets(3).Range(Cells(9, 1), Cells(9, 6)).Delete Shift:=xlUp >...

How do I put a regression line on a scatter chart
Having a problem trying to put a regression line onto a scatter chart! Help! Select the series, and on the Chart menu, choose Add Trendline. In the dialog, select the appropriate options. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Charles Hall" <Charles Hall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6913C5F5-CEA3-4FD7-975B-04DF6A573A4C@microsoft.com... > Having a problem trying to put a regression line onto a scatter chart! > Help! Thanks for your help Jon Rgds...

tab; line break; paragraph