vaiable colours for selection in chart

Hi
I have a chart (line) which uses looks at data on a state by state basis for
each quarter(year). If I look just at a single quarter there might be data
for 80% of the states, then when I look at the next quarter there might be
30% of the states with data. The workbook is available to be used over a
network. I'm trying to set the width of the lines to wider thinkness then the
standard, say 7 and not 3. As there are 6 graphs on a3 page and not 1 graph
per page.
The second is to stop the use of the yellow colour as it just washes out on
white paper.
Is there a way to solve this. I have tried the if/then but it just does not
seem to work So i'm moving back to square one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Noel
0
NoelH (6)

> I'm trying to set the width of the lines to wider thinkness then the
> standard, say 7 and not 3.

Do you want to write code to change the line thickness or are you having
trouble changing it manually ?
Hi
write code to change the width
Thanks IA

"Turbo Turtle" wrote:

> > I'm trying to set the width of the lines to wider thinkness then the
> > standard, say 7 and not 3.
>
> Do you want to write code to change the line thickness or are you having
> trouble changing it manually ?
0
NoelH (6)
10/25/2005 6:44:01 AM
In code you have the same choices as manually. But in code, you can also
draw a thicker line over the chart series:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/VBAdraw.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

NoelH wrote:

> Hi
> write code to change the width
> Thanks IA
>
> "Turbo Turtle" wrote:
>

>>>I'm trying to set the width of the lines to wider thinkness then the
>>>standard, say 7 and not 3.
>>
>>Do you want to write code to change the line thickness or are you having
>>trouble changing it manually ?
Hi Jon

Thanks for the info
Noel

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> In code you have the same choices as manually. But in code, you can also
> draw a thicker line over the chart series:
>
>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/VBAdraw.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> NoelH wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > write code to change the width
> > Thanks IA

> >>Do you want to write code to change the line thickness or are you having
> >>trouble changing it manually ?

0
NoelH (6)

Can not get Excel macros to save chart format -lost in space!
Help??? I've been searching this forum for 5 days trying to find a problem similar to what I am having without any luck. I have been trying to use Excel macro to record the creation, formating and saving of a simple bar chart against my Excel data range but the macros do not run for the chart. I am able to creat the charts okay but the macro craps out when I run it. I keep getting " Set ActiveChart = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(Chart1)" type errors as if it's not recognizing the chart that I just made. I am an advanced Excel person BUT not so with VB coding. ...

Help with Charts
:confused -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I work in a Doctors surgery and I'm creating a Spread Sheet for select number of patients to monitor their blood results. I need about 30 charts on each patients sheet, To save me doing eac one seperately I have tryed to copy and paste them in to the nex patients details.... But all the charts refer to the previous patient details. Is there anyway of copying them so that they relate to th sheet they are copied in to? Thanx Alexandra Huckerby (fustrated and tired!! -- ~lexy -----------------...

selecting ranges
I have data in column A. I want to enter a value in column B down to the same number of rows that are non- blank in column A. Problem is that the amount of data varies and so does the number of rows. How do I do this? Hi Pam You can enter a value in b1 for example and double click on the down right corner of the cell b1 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "pam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01bf01c3c4c7$c95e91e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have data in column A. I want to enter a value in > col...

Overlapping bars within chart
Sample scenario: Let's say in each year, I have this many cats: 2010: 6 2011: 8 2012: 20 Out of those cats, let's say that the following number have been neutered: 2010: 1 2011: 4 2012: 18 Is there a way for me to create a form of bar chart that shows the total number of cats per year as a "background" bar, with the total number of neutered cats in each year as a skinnier "foreground" bar that is a different color and overlays the background bar? I just figured this out on my own. As an FYI to anyone else, here was my solution: 1. Plot the ...

Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet
I need to create charts from data collected via a com port. As i stands, the data is written to sheet 1. Chart 1 is ready to plot dat as it is written. Once the data is complete, I copy sheet 1 and char 1. This results in sheet 1(2) and Chart 1(2). All references to shee 1 on the newly created chart 1(2) automatically changes to refer t sheet 1(2). This applies to data ranges, Chart Title, Axis names. When creating text boxes refering to sheet1!$A$1, the reference doe not automacially change to sheet 1(2)!$A$1. Can this be done? If not, can I create multiple chart titles? Any help o...

Timeline bar chart
Hello, I am trying to create a bar chart based on key dates in a project. There are 20 different part numbers, all with individual timelines. Some parts of the process take many days, some one, etc. I want a bar chart that signifys these key dates, as well as shows a bar running throught the course of each individual aspect (ie, 12/2 - 12/8). I am having trouble doing this with dates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- shane476 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shane476's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&u...

Clear Selection in a Clist. How?
Hi all; I've got a small problem: One of the Clist in a Dialog is a multiple selection List. When I click on abutton, several lines are selected in the Clist. No problem so far. But I need to clear the selection before click on another button, because, if I don't clear it, old lines and new lines are selected at the time. With no multiple selection CList, I can clear the selection with SetCurSel(-1), but with a multiple selection CList it doesn't work, neither SetSel(-1), because with this, all lines are selected. How can I clear all selections? Thanks a lot Dalton "D...

Keep Pivot Table custom chart type
I'm creating a pivot table custom chart type "Line - Column on 2 Axes". The chart looks great when I create it. The problem is when the user does anything to the chart (filters the data, adds a new flield of data, etc.), the chart changes to where both data series are displayed as bar charts and the second axis is gone. I can't find an event that fires when they modify the chart, so I don't know that I can programatically change it back. Is there a way to keep it from changing in the first place? I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks! Loss of formatting is a known prob...

Rotating a line chart?
Is it possible to rotate a line chart so it looks like a vertical chart rather than a horizontal chart? And if so, once it is rotated, can one still interact with the chart and it's data? Thank you. Visit Excel Tips and Cases http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html and scroll down to 'Invert and rotate charts' The direct link http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/0201-chart%20invert%20and% 20rotate.pdf is almost certain to change in the near future. The above applies to a XY Scatter chart. Hopefully, you can use that instead of a line chart. -- Regards, Tusha...

Simple charting question
I don't believe I'm having so much trouble with this. I'm trying to make a graph with Temperature (Celesius) as the X-axis and Baseball Speed (Km/hr) as the Y-axis. When I highlight the columns below and try to make a bar graph - 0 44.1 1 47 3 44.7 4 43.5 5 50.2 13 59.9 I get two series plotted or shown seperately. I would like to get one of the following: ...

Add names to scatter plot chart
I have three columns of info in my excel spreadsheet. column 1 has names, column 2 has numbers and column 3 has numbers. I can create the scatter plot chart just fine, but what I am having a problem with is that I cannot get the names from column one to show next to the points on the scatter plot. How is this done? -- oberon.black ------------------------------------------------------------------------ oberon.black's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26732 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471758 I'm gu...

Combining Stack bar and Line Charts
I'm trying to display 2 sets of data within the same chart; I want to display yr 1 data in a stacked bar format and yr 2 data in a line format. Both data sets would use the same axis; month and volume. I need to distinctively display each mo/yr together to show any increases or decreases in volume. Any suggestions you have are appreciated! -- tibor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tibor's Profile: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=156 View this thread: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1...

Chart
Chart - Title Widths Does anyone know how to find the width of a title/axis title? ...

Change Display Order in Charts
I have an X-Y chart with a cloud of points and a line. When the chart plots, the line is always hidden behind the cloud of points. Can I bring the line to the top so it becomes visible? I tried making the line first and last, but it always ends up behind the cloud. Thank you. Lines for a given chart group (group of data series) are plotted behind points of that same chart group in an XY chart. However, you can change the chart group by changing the axis on which the chart group is plotted. Make the plot with one series formatted as markers only and another as lines only, double cli...

look up a selection of data
Hi I would like to transfer or look up data when keying in a reference number and bring up all the data regarding the ref number Eg Cell A1 = 101, B1 = John and C1 = january Cell A2 = 102, B2 = Mark and C2 = january Cell A3 = 103, B3 = Sam and C3 = February Cell A4 = 101, B4 = John and C4 = March Cell A5 = 101, B5 = John and C5 = June When I key in Ref 101 in a chosen cell (eg.A10) then the display should have all the details Cell A11 = John, B11 = January Cell A12 = John, B12 = March Cell A13 = John, B13 = June I assume A11, A12 and A13 should also have formulas to generate data but I c...

select and copy files
I have a table that has following fields: 1) account number 2)assiciated file name and 3) description of file 4) file path. Filenames are formatted as account number with 2 digit alphanumeric code following (i.e. 12345a2, 67890b1) table has approximately 300,000 records each associated with one of 130,000 unique account numbers. Goal is to select and copy to new destination only those files associated with a subset (approc 100,000) of 130,000 unique account numbers. Inversely, I could copy all 300,000 files then select and delete those associated with the 30,000 account numbers. any...

Using a listbox selection to limit records in a form and report
I am trying to use a listbox of names to limit the results of a form to just those names. On a similar track, I want to use the selected names to limit a report. I have the listbox created and have added a button next to it to initiate the next step, but cannot figure out how to do it. Also, would like to (if possible) use multiple listboxs in the same way (ie, name and/or department). "dascooper" <dascooper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1227B7CC-3345-4FDC-8EB0-94BEF46660FD@microsoft.com... >I am trying to use a listbox of names to limit the resu...

combining charts from two spreadsheets
I hope someone can help me with this: I have two charts. The one thing these charts have in common are the addresses (the charts are from two different sources). On one chart, I will have monthly sales for the addresses. On another chart, I will have how much each location paid in expenses. I would like to combine these charts into one chart. The addresses on one chart will correspond to the addresses on the other chart and from their, I would like the other information to fall into place. Is this possible? Thanks for any help. this is totally out of the blue, but are you related to...

How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel?
How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? Hi Select your first row and then hold down the Ctrl key while selecting the others. HTH Michael "Varun" wrote: > How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? "Varun" <Varun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? Just another angle to the post's interp .. (with emphasis on "randomly") Here's an example set-up to play with .. Assume we have 6 rows of data below in Sheet1's A1:C6: Data1 Text1 Desc1 Data2 Text2 Desc2 Data3 Text...

Bar chart with XY on secondary axis
I have four quarters of data that I display as a bar chart. I want to add additional data superimposed on each (XY) as a secondary axis. However, the XY coordinates are displayed on a single vertical axis in the center of the bars rather than on each related bar. Data: (BAR) 1st Qtr 2nd Qtr 3rd Qtr 4th Qtr A 7.1 2.3 4.5 8.7 B 10.5 1.5 6.7 4.8 C 14.6 4.0 7.9 11.1 (XY) 1st Qtr 2nd Qtr 3rd Qtr 4th Qtr A 25 55 67 ...

Sort on Cell Colour
Hello, Is there any way to sort depending on the colour of the cell background? The row will contain the same colour for all cells... Regards, Nick. "Nick" <Nick@nospamhere.com> wrote in message news:a47c01c346c9$da189200$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, Is there any way to sort depending on the colour > of the cell background? The row will contain the same > colour for all cells... > Regards, Nick. It's all described here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm ...

Creating multiple charts
I am new to creating charts etc in Excel. I am compiling all the accident information for my church and I would like to have charts linked to this data to give a visual presentation of all the statistics collected. Can anyone tell me in plane english how I do this from a single large spreadsheet which contains all the data. select the data you want to use for the chart, click on the chart wizard icon on the toolbar & follow the wizard. -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink ...

Selection from list on main sheet from suplemental sheet in same w
Okay I am new to excell bar drawing little spreadsheets to do my own financing. I am currently setting up a sheet and need the users to be able to select from a list of options only and not input thier own text - does that make sense? also i ahve 12 names on the list and one master with all on - would like the data entered on to a names list to be automatically entered onto the master or vice versa which ever is easiest. sorry if this sounds jumbled but i am totally lost and this has to look really hot for work! regards Kelly - England You only need to ask in one place, Kelly. :) *****...

In charts, is it possible to change data references to relevant?
Ive created a basic bar chart, but the speadsheet in which the data is held is constantly being updated. This is ruining my graph as the data references are absolute. Is there a way of changing the source data references to relevant? ive tried "f4" when in the graph "Source data", "values" option, but this does not work. Ive tried deleting all of the $ from the data, but they apear again when the dialogue box is closed. Charts use absolute references. But you can also use a reference to a dynamic name: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html ...

labelling points in xy chart
I am using an XY chart as a simple map. The data are in three columns of a worksheet - X coordinate, Y coordinate and Point ID. On my chart I want to plot the points and have each labelled with the point ID. At the moment I can only make the labels show either the X coordinate value (if I select Show label in the Data Labels tab) or the Y coordinate value (if I select Show value). How can I automatically link the label text to the column with Point IDs? Grateful for any help. Hi have a look at the following add-ins which will do this for you as Excel does not support this automatica...