Using Excel Drawing tools for Design Sketches

I'm a civil/struct. design engineer.
I use Excel's Drawing Tools (View-Toolbars-Drawing) to illustrate the
calculations and make sketches. I'm convinced that making sketches
with calc's is very important. When I first started making sketches it
took quite a time, but with practice it became much faster. Now it
takes the same time as making a sketch manually. There are a lot of
time saving tricks in Excel Drawing � which could be mastered with
practice. I need some adjustments of Drawing Tools for my purposes�
but I do not know how to do it. Some of these are:
1- scaling; is there a way to make a drawing to scale?
2- printing; when printing circles become elipses;
3- is there a good book (or on the Web) on making drawings with Excel?
4- charting; is it associated with Drawing Tools and how can I use it
for drafting?
5- is there a Group dedicated to drafting on Excel?

Any ideas, suggestions, comments�.?

Simon Goykhman,
Toronto
goykhman@rogers.com
0
goykhman (1)

Simon -

I've used Excel for this, by charting points that outline an object I
wanted drawn precisely.  Very tedious.  I can only imagine the MS Office
drawing tools are even worse.

The tool I've used frequently for this is Visio, another MS product
you'll have to shell out more cash for.  It's kind of a poor man's CAD
program, without the steep learning curve and with the user interface
designed for inhabitants of this planet.  The CAD package my colleagues
use at work has half the screen filled with buttons that don't resemble
their functions, and you need a three-button mouse, but there's still no
context menu.

I know of no resources for technical drawing (drafting) in MS Office,
although John Walkenbach has posted some drawings sent to him by an
artist named Debbie Gewand (http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/odd/odd22.htm).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Simon wrote:
> I'm a civil/struct. design engineer.
> I use Excel's Drawing Tools (View-Toolbars-Drawing) to illustrate the
> calculations and make sketches. I'm convinced that making sketches
> with calc's is very important. When I first started making sketches it
> took quite a time, but with practice it became much faster. Now it
> takes the same time as making a sketch manually. There are a lot of
> time saving tricks in Excel Drawing � which could be mastered with
> practice. I need some adjustments of Drawing Tools for my purposes�
> but I do not know how to do it. Some of these are:
> 1- scaling; is there a way to make a drawing to scale?
> 2- printing; when printing circles become elipses;
> 3- is there a good book (or on the Web) on making drawings with Excel?
> 4- charting; is it associated with Drawing Tools and how can I use it
> for drafting?
> 5- is there a Group dedicated to drafting on Excel?
>
> Any ideas, suggestions, comments�.?
>
> Simon Goykhman,
> Toronto
> goykhman@rogers.com

0
jonpeltier (303)

Updating Share Point list from within Excel
I have the need to update an existing SharePoint list within Excel using VBA code. Is this possible? Can somebody point me to some reference that can direct met on how to do it? I'm able to save workbook and create dashboard from that workbook. However, now I need to update custom fields in an existing list. Regards, OMER ...

Excel keeps changing my formulas to include nearby cells.
Excel keeps changing my formulas to include nearby cells. More details ... -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "emeraldc" wrote: > Excel keeps changing my formulas to include nearby cells. ...

How do I calculate the change in stock price in excel.
How do I calculate the change in stock price from the previous day. Put yesterday's price in cell A1 and today's price in cell A2. In cell A3 put the formula: =A2-A1 -- Gary's Student "Knowledge001" wrote: > How do I calculate the change in stock price from the previous day. ...

Use this corrective pack
--yakqhoalwsgfqy Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="gncfpnkvjebqahyk"; type="multipart/alternative" --gncfpnkvjebqahyk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="fsjbiivoclajvlz" --fsjbiivoclajvlz Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now...

How do you define variables in excel?
I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of my students. I want to use excel if possible to keep track of lates, left early, attendance, etc, as my grades are kept there already. I was wondering if you can assign values to variables to accomplish this and how to define them. Thanks Why do you want to assign to variables, why not just use worksheet cells? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "BigRon" <BigRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D246057F-E2D9-474F-85A2-A31440E48142@microsoft.com... > I am setting up a s...

excel formulas #2
Can someone help me with how to create a formula that looks at one cell and based upon the number in that cell (if statement) then gives me another number? example: If cell c4 contains the number 1; then how can I have cell a8 look at cell c4 and give me the number 1 (other than a link) / then have cell a9 look at cell c4 if it contains the number 2 to then give me the number 2.................... I need a formula to look at a cell that will contain a number from 1 to 5 or above and then accoridingly give me a coresponding number to reflect if that number is 1,2,3,4 or 5. Each cel...

Excel should have a "Change Case..." menu Item like Word!!
See the subject, I know you can set up a formula to do it I want a button! PLEASE, for years I've just wanted to change case on the fly, YEARS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=3c7554c...

Excel 2003 #5
Hi all Got a silly problem. MS Excel 2003 Professional via MS partner pack (aka Action Pack) Start Excel as normal, no problem, clik on FILE on the menu bar and Excel stops responding. ALL other menu items work correctly. I've un-installed and re-installed the software, no change. Excel WILL run in safe mode however. Any ideas anyone please. Thanks in anticipation, Adrian. PS I have an HP psc1215 attached and have noticed some mention of issues with their 'Share-to-web' rubbish that comes supplied (now un-installed) ...

VBA turing up on the web...excel transfer...
Ok, here's the deal! I want to take my database/spreadsheet from excel and place it on the web with interactivity - I have done this so far.....what the problem is: I have macros in VBA programing that is not going with the excel pages onto the web...why? Is this going to be easier if I start from scratch in FrontPage to be able to control this program fully? Please help...I can't find anyone that knows....:-( ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! Free Support at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/ ** ...

Using labels in EXCEL 2007
I have app 400 names in Col B row 1 down to row 400 of my spreadsheet. I would like to transfer that info to "paper labels" Anyone know how? Thanks "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F98982B9-75BD-4A9D-85AD-2C28BC9408EA@microsoft.com... >I have app 400 names in Col B row 1 down to row 400 of my spreadsheet. > I would like to transfer that info to "paper labels" > Anyone know how? > Thanks You ask "Anyone know how" Of course someone here knows how! I don't have your answer, b...

Splitting 2007 for use on 2003
I split my database on a personal laptop running 2007. now I need to put the be on a network drive (with runtime) that I cannot hook the laptop to.. I tried to save as 2003 format, so I could split it on a networked computer, but many forms etc didn't work. I read the post from "Lateral" and the response(s). "The code to re-link tables can be found here: http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm And, the code to popup the file browse dialog can be found here: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm So, between the two above routines, in a short time you can c...

How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel?
How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? Hi Select your first row and then hold down the Ctrl key while selecting the others. HTH Michael "Varun" wrote: > How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? "Varun" <Varun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? Just another angle to the post's interp .. (with emphasis on "randomly") Here's an example set-up to play with .. Assume we have 6 rows of data below in Sheet1's A1:C6: Data1 Text1 Desc1 Data2 Text2 Desc2 Data3 Text...

Can't use Outlook
How can I cancel my account with Outlook? Because I can't use this software anymore we have installed Lotus Notes as a source of email and etc. Please notify me and let me know how to cancel this account. Please I counld go to far with it because I never knew the server to finish my account. Thanks Chuck OL only has accounts you set up Tools/Options/Accounts simply delete unwanted accounts. If you no longer use OL, uninstall. I'm assuming yr refering to OL not OLExpress Remember to set yr Internet Options to point to yr new email app David "chuck" <anonymous@dis...

Error using MOP/POP link
GP v8.0 When attempting to create a purchase order using the MOP/POP link feature, users are occasionally getting a message saying "This transaction is being edited by another user". 1. The user hits "Create PO" from the MOP/POP link screen. 2. The PO Entry screen comes up with a new PO#. 3. User gets message saying "transaction is being edited by another user" You then cannot do anything with the PO, and if you repeat the result is the same. Any ideas? ...

How do I combine 2 text columns in Microsoft Excel?
I have two columns of descriptive text, the second column is the end of the first column's sentence, however I can not find a way in the Help options to combine the text values to create one complete sentence in one column. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Try: =A5&" "&B5 if you want spaces between the columns or look at the CONCATENATE function example =CONCATENATE(A5,B5) Domaniman wrote: > I have two columns of descriptive text, the second column is the end of the > first column's sentence, however I can not find a way in the Help options to ...

Can't use calculated field for row or column area in Beta 2007
When a new calculated field 'calcfield' is created, a 'SIGMA values' is added to the column-labels-area, and a 'sum of 'calcfield' is added to the values-area. But I want to use the new field in the row-labels-area, and it is impossible to move the new field to that destination. When I read books about Pivot tables for Excel 2003, it looks like the calculated fields should behave like other fields in this respect. Do I see over some checkmark? When you create a calculated field in Excel 2003, it can only be placed in the data area. If there are multiple...

UNC Path using DNS alias (CNAME) on local server doesn't work
I have many windows server 2003 servers. On all of our file shares/SQL servers we use CNAMES for easy DR changes and testing. Primarily we only use DNS aliases from clients to the servers We installed a new app that has a database of UNC locations. The app uses these locations to do some file copies. The problem seems to be that the server itself cannot access the \\myalias\myshare from itself. Extremely strange. When i try to go to run and type this UNC path using the alias on the server itself i get prompted with a username/password dialog. Any credentials i enter here fail. we a...

Excel Formula Help
I need to create a spreadsheet to calculate my weekly payroll. The timecards are punched in a timeclock which prints out the in and out times. for example, in at 7:30 am out at 5:00 pm. It also gives me a running total of the number of hours accumulated. I want to take the total number of hours and minutes and convert that to a decimal. If an employee has 32:35 minutes total time accumulated, then using a formula in an excel spreadsheet, I want to see these hours in decimal format, i.e., 32.58 Anyone know how to help me do this? Thanks! might want to try microsoft.public.excel Mat...

Web link to Excel file
I'm trying to link to an Excel 97 file from a ColdFusion web page. The first time I click the link, the file opens fine in the browser (I.E. 5.5). If I close the file and click the link again, I get a message stating 'filename.xls is currently being modified by "my user name here". Open as read only?'. I can still open the file as read only, but am wondering why I get this message, because I'm not making any modifications. I've had other people try this link, and they get the same thing, except it tells them that they're the one modifying the fi...

Wrong colors keep printing when I use publisher. Why?
Can't seem to figure this out. Green prints out as purple, blue prints out as green...why? How can I correct it? It is probably your printer driver. What version Publisher? Are other applications printing okay? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "BA1976" <BA1976@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3DEE307-6C6C-4FF7-BAC4-CF816DB47C8B@microsoft.com... > Can't seem to figure this out. Green prints out as purple, blue prints out as > green...why? How can I correct it? Thanks!...

re: best way to move columns between 2 excel docs
Ok, here is my little project: In execel.doc A I have some columns that I want to move to Excel.doc B, and the columns are always positioned the same way in A, they never change their position. How do you transfer them to B, to append a running process of pre-existing prefilled from previous days ? Any code samples ? Macros ? Please help!!! :- ) I am reading a book on application-level programming, VBA for Access, so I understand more and more everyday. How much work do I have here ? Thanks. ...

Local OLAP cubes in Excel/MS Query
Hi Can someone please recommend some good book or web page about creating local OLAP cubes using MS Query. I have some data in Access that I want to work with using cubes. Kind regards IgorM http://wang.se/en/CreateOLAPCube.html/ Ed Ferrero Hi Thanks for response. Unfortunately I still don't know if the show-details-after-double-click feature is available in pivottables linked to OLAP cubes. I tried all three connection types. With the two first options (rebuild at once and rebuild when needed) I still cannot make the pivot table to create a sheet on the fly and provide detai...

Problem with data using IF and Nested IF statements possibly???
Afternoon All I am attempting to analyse data from multiple worksheets from numerous people the incoming data all has one thing in common column A this is a certain frequency a job is done. The problem is that there are many ways of entering the data ie 12 months or 52 weeks or 365 days all essentially meaning the same thing. My idea is to collate the data in col A and then using the Helper column as the standard frequencies ie if cell A1 = 12 months, closes frequency in helper is 52 weeks therefore value in C1 = 52 weeks. By using an IF statement I can change the value of one frequen...

Copying a worksheet in Excel
Why do objects, eg a logo, sometimes give stacked copies when a worksheet is copied in excel. You don't know it has happened until you save your document and it is huge. Then you have to click on the object, in this case a logo, and click and delete up to a 100 copies that are neatly stacked one on top of the other until you are left with the 1 nr logo you are after! Any ideas how to stop this from happening? I've never seen excel do this. Are you sure that the original worksheet didn't have 100's of logos already there. You may want to post back with more details (v...

Change Folder View When Using an Iframe to Display a Folder Contents
When an iFrame is being used to display the contents of a folder on a machine, is it possible to use VBScript to change the view of the folder? I've got a iFrame whose source is changed via VBScript, but when it changes the folder shows Icons. I'd rather view the folder Details instead. I don't know for sure, but I don't know of any way to access that setting in an open window. As personal settings they're not designed to be changeable by software. (Actually they're not very well designed to be changed by persons, either, but that's another story...