user defined scale on chart

Hi,

is there a way to have a non continuous scala on a excel chart ?

I have a financial chart that shows expenses from 100.000 up t
14.000.000. Since the 100.000 is so small its hardly visible on th
chart (min : 0 / max: 16.000.000 )

I use major unit : 2.000.000 so the chart would display the axis scal
0 / 2Mil / 4 Mil / 6 Mil / 8 Mil / up to 16Mil.

Since most of my datas are around 2 - 4 Mil. the 14 Million reall
stand out on the chart are make the low numbers almost disappear.

Is there a way to define the scale that the chart would show on th
axis 0 / 2 / 4 / 6  Million and then the next line be 14 / 16 and ski
the 8 / 10 / 12 Million to make the smaller entries more visible whil
keeping the chart at the same size ?

hope I could explain understandable.

thanks

Steffe

Steffen -

There are a few ways to do this. First, you could use a logarithmic
scale. Unfortunately this is not readily comprehensible to many people,
particularly non-technical types. Second, you could use a secondary axis
for the outlying data. Unfortunately this is also not easy to
understand, particularly if you hurry through the chart's construction.
The third thing you can do is simulate a broken axis. This capability is
not native to Excel, but you can fake it. I show one method on my web site:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

I also have links to a couple other techniques.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

forever_49ers < wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there a way to have a non continuous scala on a excel chart ?
>
> I have a financial chart that shows expenses from 100.000 up to
> 14.000.000. Since the 100.000 is so small its hardly visible on the
> chart (min : 0 / max: 16.000.000 )
>
> I use major unit : 2.000.000 so the chart would display the axis scale
> 0 / 2Mil / 4 Mil / 6 Mil / 8 Mil / up to 16Mil.
>
> Since most of my datas are around 2 - 4 Mil. the 14 Million really
> stand out on the chart are make the low numbers almost disappear.
>
> Is there a way to define the scale that the chart would show on the
> axis 0 / 2 / 4 / 6  Million and then the next line be 14 / 16 and skip
> the 8 / 10 / 12 Million to make the smaller entries more visible while
> keeping the chart at the same size ?
>
> hope I could explain understandable.
>
> thanks
>
> Steffen
>

> ---

DOjonNOT (619)
6/17/2004 2:38:37 AM
thats what I was looking for, thanks man

Steffe

Tushar_mehta.com has a code for break in y axis.

forever_49ers > <<forever_49ers.17yuyq@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:forever_49ers.17yuyq@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to have a non continuous scala on a excel chart ?
>
> I have a financial chart that shows expenses from 100.000 up to
> 14.000.000. Since the 100.000 is so small its hardly visible on the
> chart (min : 0 / max: 16.000.000 )
>
> I use major unit : 2.000.000 so the chart would display the axis scale
> 0 / 2Mil / 4 Mil / 6 Mil / 8 Mil / up to 16Mil.
>
> Since most of my datas are around 2 - 4 Mil. the 14 Million really
> stand out on the chart are make the low numbers almost disappear.
>
> Is there a way to define the scale that the chart would show on the
> axis 0 / 2 / 4 / 6  Million and then the next line be 14 / 16 and skip
> the 8 / 10 / 12 Million to make the smaller entries more visible while
> keeping the chart at the same size ?
>
> hope I could explain understandable.
>
> thanks
>
> Steffen
>

> ---

Getting Chart Point info
Hi - I am building a "drill down" chart. When you click on one of the points of the chart, it takes you to anohter chart based on the informaiton on the point. I am using the MouseUp event and I have the Arg1 and Arg2 data. What I don't have is the actual "name" of the point. If you mouse over the point it will tell you the "name" of the series and the "name" of the point. How do I get this "name"? Arg2 simply tells me which point (1,2,3,4 etc.) in the series. I need the name. thanks Lizzard ...

Linking Charts to publisher file saved as web page
Good Day I hope someone can help me with this question - I am using publisher 2007 to create a newsletter ( Saved as web page ) on our local intarnet. I am now trying to add / link charts and excel tables to the newsletter. I am only able to paste as picture and have them dynamically update with daily sales for example. Can anyone help me with this . . . I am trying to find a way to insert excel charts and tables into my publisher 2007 webpage and have them automatically update when the excel files update - I do not want to copy and paste and re-publish everyday ...

Modify scale in X axis on a scatter plot from Pivot data
I need to increase the gap between my labels on the X axis in a scatter plot. They are too close and I can not read the labels unless i make them 4pt and zoom in to 200%. There are about 200 points on the X axis at .2 increments. I would like to be able to have labels for whole numbers only. I can not use a fixed set of values by generating a dummy X-axis since the range changes as I apply the different filters. Any ideas? thanks! Sandy Pivot charts don't let you change the spacing of the categories. They also don't let you make an XY (scatter) chart, so you probably have ...

Favicon
Hi, I think I have found a small bug in IE 8 and I was wondering if anyone could confirm this was happening to them. Steps to reproduce: 1) You need HTTP Watch, or IE Watch, or Fiddler running. 2) Pick a site and add it to you list of sites for compatibility mode. 3) Visit the site with your http watcher running. Bug: If you look at your user agent, it will be "compatible; MSIE 7.0 (etc.)" for all of your requests, EXCEPT for the request to favicon.ico, which will be "compatible; MSIE 8.0 (etc.)" This bug is more annoying than it seems, because ...

how to force user not to enter "%" sign into a TextBox.
I need to force user not to enter "%" sign into a text box. OnExit event of text box, which code sould i use, so that I will make the CANCEL=True? I can do that by placing ComboBox and defining a criteria on the query where combobox is bounded. But i want to learn how to do in VBA. There are lots of information about it on this group but i failed to understand. Thanks mezzanine1974 wrote: > I need to force user not to enter "%" sign into a text box. OnExit > event of text box, which code sould i use, so that I will make the > CANCEL=True? > I can do that by pla...

Missing Standard Chart Types
Hi, after full installation of MS Office 2003, I tried to insert a chart into a worksheet. But, when I go to standard chart types, I can see ONLY 1 chart sub-type for each standard type. I did similar installation on another PC and I have many. What should I do to add more chart sub-types? Thanks in advance. JerryR ...

Charting two averages
I am trying to create a chart for real estate showing the length of a task vs the final results. There are three variables representing each trial: Group ID Duration Results For each group there is a variable number of trials. It was a simple task to use a pivot table to create a bar graph of the average duration for each group, sorted in ascending order, and the pivot table included the average results in the table as well. What I want to end up with is a bar graph with the group IDs on the X axis, sorted by the average duration, charted on the Y axis. To this graph I want to add a...

Mail-Enabled User Not Appearing in GAL
Hey folks. Strange query.. using Win2K3Ent and Exch2k3Ent, with latest SPs and hotfixes installed on both. Trying to create a mail-enabled user (giving impression of internal user actually aliased to an external SMTP address). I'm under the impression (confirmed by checking 70-284) that a mail-enabled user should appear in the GAL after a short while, and be available for clients such as Outlook to select directly (yet be aliased at the postoffice level). No matter what I try, I cannot get the user to appear in the GAL. Using ExchSysMgr, if I query the GAL, the user appears happ...

Some users cannot have replied E-Mail activity? Why?
Hi, It is really strange, in our company, some users's replied e-mail activity will not be put into CRM system by that router. I tested everybody by my internet mailbox. But meanwhile, some other users without problem. Anybody know that? Thank you very much. Raymond From what I understand... if you reply using outlook - it will not go through the CRM router and be placed in CRM... you must reply outside of outlook.... (i.e. hotmail, external account)... I think there is a TK on this... "Raymond" <xin421@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:015d01c3dc66$e19ca420$a401...

who can tell me where to define the constant marco in MFC files

copy and paste excel charts as same size
I have a workbook that I need to make many charts in. And most of these charts are the same from page to page, just with data from a different sheet &/or series. I want to copy and paste one chart several times and then update the data series. However, when I paste, the chart always comes out about 75% of the size of the original. How can I copy and paste and keep the sizing in tact? I'm using Excel 2002 SP3. Thanks, Laurie A couple ways worked for me. You didn't specify that you were pasting copies of the chart onto the same worksheet and then scrolling down or over... The t...

not user if this is a bug that was fixed or my memory gone bad...
I year or two ago I created a mail merge into Publisher from MS Access that has text and photos. It's a directory with photos and text below... What I ended up with then, that I want to do again is have the pages lay out like the following. Photo1 photo 2 Photo1 photo 2 Photo3 photo 4 Photo3 photo 4 Photo5 photo 6 Photo5 photo 6 Photo7 photo 8 Photo7 photo 8 Photo9 photo 10 Photo9 photo 10 The page layout is landscape with two columns (portrate) This worked great as I could print off all 30+ pages,...

What header file defines SHGetDataFromIDList
Hello, thanks for helping, Does anyone know what header file defines ShGetDataFromIDList? I tried including shlobj.h, which seems to have a definition for it, but that doesn't seem to resolve it. I tried :: in front of the reference to it but that didn't do it either. Anyone know how to make it work or what I'm doing wrong? Thank you, Ivan Ivan Starr wrote: >Hello, thanks for helping, > >Does anyone know what header file defines ShGetDataFromIDList? > >I tried including shlobj.h, which seems to have a definition for it, but >that doesn't seem to reso...

% completed in a Gantt Chart
Is there a way to show the percentage completed for a given task? I would like the bars in my Gantt chart to show how much of the task is completed, either by manual input of a % completed column, or based on calendar days. For example, on a given task's bar, 75% of the bar would be blue, the remaining 25% green, indicating the % completed. On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:56:01 -0800, Michael B. <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to show the percentage completed for a given task? I would >like the bars in my Gantt chart to show how much of the task is comp...

BUG?: Excel scatter chart: will not plot x-values
I am trying to make a simple scatter plot. There are two columns of data. Excel will not plot values on the x- axis, only categories. I have entered the ranges for x and y values correctly, and the chart wizard shows it; yet, the chart comes out with the x-axis showing only the points numbered in the order they are entered in the spreadsheet. Oddly enough, if only one y-value is included, it plots properly; the x-axis correctly shows the range of x-values entered, and the single data point shows up at its proper xy location. as soon as I expand the y-range to more points, the x-axis r...

Multiple charts with same serie names
I want to have the same color in all four of my line charts per series. All charts have the same series name. Is there some type of VBA code that I can run a macro to achieve this ? example: boat = green line mnotorcycle = yellow line auto = red line Hi, You could avoid VBA, maybe, by choosing Tools, Options, Color and setting the first three colors of the Chart fills aor Chart lines area depending on the type of charts you are using. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Jennifer" wrote: > I want to have the same color in all four of m...

Displaying hidden data on a chart
I have a number of data series in a table on sheet 1, and this data is plotted as an x-y scatter in a chart on sheet 2. I want to hide a column in the table, but when i do this the related data series disappears from the chart. Is there a way to hide a column whilst still having it plotted on the chart? At the moment I have just set the column width to 1 pixel, which is a bit messy. Thanks Hi, Yes, select the chart and then via the menu Toosl > Options > Chart. unchecked the Plot visible cells only. Cheers Andy Nick Terry wrote: > I have a number of data series in a tabl...

Visio Org Chart being moved over as an object in powerpoint
I have an org that has dotted lines drawn around groups of boxes with arrows on each end and when I move or should I say copy to powerpoint one set of dotted lines become solid and I have no idea why? Can someone tell me. I suspect it's the fact that you may have copied it as an emf/wmf. Visio tries to ease the pain (since dotted lines make very large files) and converted them to straight. al "Angie" <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D15E003-C042-478D-8113-2453AD2855D7@microsoft.com... >I have an org that has dotted lines drawn around g...

create defined name using variable file name in reference
please help in create defined name EXAMPLe: create name : ACCPath ---- Referes to (='E:\Data Folder\[externa work book.xlsx]sheet1'!$K$8:$K$10000) this works I NEED to put (external work book.xlsx) in a cell and refere to it as variable in the referes to (='E:\Data Folder\[&U2&]sheet1'!$K$8:$K$10000) where U2 having the file name because it is changing meny times Activeworkbook.Names.Add Name:="ACCPath", RefersTo:= "=" & Activesheet.Range("U2").Value2 --- HTH Bob Phillips "hala" <hala@discussions.mi...

User Manager -> Adding Users
Has anyone else seen the case where each Active Directory user is listed twice in the Import Users Wizard in the Deployment manager? Rick. ...

Elements in Chart Object move around between saves
I have a line chart embedded in a worksheet. This chart has a title and legend at top and 9 text boxes that display data from cells using a formula entered in the formula bar. I carefully arrange all of these items in the chart object and then save and close the file. When I re-open the file, one or more of these objects is no longer in the location where I placed them during my previous session - they've moved around inside the chart object. Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there a way to keep this from happening? ...

Why do series names on charts disappear when re-opening excel?
I have set up some bar charts in excel to display the series names and values of each series. However, when I close the application and re-open it, the series names are gone. I have checked the chart options, and the series name box is still checked. How do I fix this? Thanks ...

chart formatting #2
since excel already has conditional formatting for cells, it should also have conditional formatting for charts. like turning a portion of a line red if it falls, then the next blue if it rises. just a suggestion. Hi see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart and http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart2 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pringles." <Pringles@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C0975DF9-CBA2-41A2-BB20-0BA647A40846@microsoft.com... > since excel already has conditional formatting for cells...

Changing Multiple Users Details
We are using Exchange 2003 SP2 and I need to change all our users company info and addresses, as we have moved physical locations... Is there a way to change all users information in one simple procedure? Not sure if this is an Exchange thing or a AD thing... Thanks in advance guys... I think ADModify.net might do what you want http://www.gotdotnet.com/Workspaces/Workspace.aspx?id=f5cbbfa9-e46b-4a7a-8ed8-3e44523f32e2 "Chris H" <ChrisH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76A45444-7337-4C50-B536-34C4F6F9EBA5@microsoft.com... > We are using Exchange 2003...

Scaling the x-axis on a line chart
I am having trouble scaling the x-axis so that the intervals are equal. The source data is not in equal intervals, it goes 0.0,0.2,0.4,0.45,0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8,0.9 (I think). What can I do to make the interval on the graph 0.2? I'm using XP. Don't make a line chart. Make an XY chart, using the markers and lines option. Then you can double click the X axis and set any appropriate tick spacing. An XY chart treats X and Y as continuously varying numerical values. A line chart treats Y that way, but treats X as non-numerical text labels. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel M...