Updating charts

I'm trying to update a chart with more data. I choose
'source data', 'series' then 'values' and select the data i
want to add using the ctrl button but i'm not able to
select some of the cells in the worksheet. When i try to
select these cells the 'Source data - values' box empties.

Is anyone able to help with this? It would be greatly
appreciated.
0
anonymous (74722)

There's a limit to the number of characters that you can enter in the
Data Range box.

As a workaround, you could define the range of cells that you want to
use, and enter the range name in the Data Range box. There are some
instructions here for creating a named range:
     http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Or, create a summary table on the worksheet, linked to the data, and
create the chart from that table. To create a summary table, enter
references to the data in a contiguous range of cells. For example, if
the data for a chart is:

Series1: A5, C5, E5, H5, L5, T5
Series2: A9, C9, E9, H9, L9, T9

You could create the summary table starting in cell V2:

In V2:  =A5
In W2:  =C5

etc., to pull all the data into a contiguous range.
Then, select this range, and create the chart.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Chart two variables with differing values
I'd like to chart data similar to: Year 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Thefts 75 120 95 101 80 Veh. Mfg. 100,200 125000 130000 145000 125000 I want to produce a chart with the year on the abcissa and with the Thefts scale on left ordinate and Veh. Mfg on the right ordinate and have the scales set accordingly. I'm running Excel 2002. Seems i can't select the Format/Selected Series data Series/Secondary Axis to set the scales correctly. I'd like to get som...

In Excel how do I label the axis of a chart with 2 sets of labels
I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a quantity function against the same axis (usually x). I run Excel 2003 If you plot two series You can select one of them and change the axis to secondary. In chart options you can then modify the Y axies as needed. "Alan" wrote: > I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a > quantity function against the same axis (usually x). > I run Excel 2003 If it's a category axis, put the two sets of labels into adjacent columns (or rows), select the chart and choose Source D...

Picklist Updating
Newbie question for y'all. I have updated the picklist information (added a few values, deleted others) on the Contact Form and saved it. But, when I go to use the Contact information the picklist data still has the original picklist. I go back to the Form editor and it shows the correct information that I modified. What steps am I missing? Hi Michael, you need to publish you customizations from the Deployment Manager. When you make changes to the forms, the changes are stored in XML in the database. When you publish from deployment manager, the xml form data is then updated on t...

How do I copy an Excel chart with added text boxes into Word or P.
I have created a chart in Excel and added a number of text boxes on top of the chart. I need to paste the entire chart & text boxes into Word and/or Powerpoint; however by selecting the chart and copying, the text boxes are excluded. MS help suggests entering the text boxes outside the chart then moving them into the chart and grouping the chart and text boxes; however there does not seem to be the ability to group the chart with the text boxes. If you had clicked on the chart before making the textboxes, all the items would have been grouped. But you can do it later: Hold down SHI...

charting a single changing DDE cell
I have a spreadsheet that captures real time stock data via a DDE link. The cell captures the last price of a stock as it changes over time. Can you chart that changing cell as the day progresses. Maybe capture the data and then chart it or a macro which plots that cell every minute? Bob You would need to capture the value of that changing cell periodically in a growing table, possibly in a different sheet. For example, every time you update it via the DDE, you could run a code that copies the value of the cell to the last row of the table. Use a dynamic chart to plot the values in t...

Money 2005
Option to start statement download when the program starts does not work. I have to manually click the circle with the arrows button. What is wrong with the setup? I think this may be a WinXP issue... I was using Money 2005 with Win98SE and automatic updates worked (or at least happened) but recently upgraded to WinXP SP2 and now I too have to manually click the "Update Now" option... I have also noticed that some settings do not get saved between Money sessions... for example, the Update Status Dialog that has the "Hide this window during update" checkbox... well...

Money 2005 Update #5
How do I stop the "Update now" screen from popping up everytime I start MSM2005. I do not use the online banking function it wants me to upgrade to and have no interest in it. I am running Windows XP. Thanks Bill ...

Prevent updating of Current Costs
Is there a way to "turn off" the automatic updating of current cost (Techknowledge 872165)? We are on v7.5, upgrading to v8.0 next week.) For example: It is frustrating when there are cost increases, we enter the new current cost in Item Mntnc, then an old bill posts and this changes current cost back. ...

Chart Bars
How to create intersectionso if the hight of bar crosses that line the color of the bar should from that point. From Level 0 - 2:- RED Color From Level 2 - 4:- Green color From Level 4 - 6:- Blue color Hi, You will need to use 3 series to build the stack. Simplest way is to use a cluster chart, setting the overlap value to 100, with data base on formula. If you have the following data in A2:B9 A2: =<leave empty> B2: =SeriesName A3: =A B3: =0 A4: =B B4: =1 A5: =C B5: =2 A6: =D B6: =3 A7: =E B7 =4 A8: =F B8: =5 A9: =G B9: =6 You can then create the following ...

combination chart #8
How can I get a combo chart with 3 series - one as a vertical bar/column, and 2 series as lines, with 2 y axes? I only seem to be able to get one series in line format, while the first two insist on viewing as vertical bars, regardless of whether they are assigned to the primary or secondary y axis. Right click each series and set the chart type property of the series seperately. alas wrote: > How can I get a combo chart with 3 series - one as a vertical > bar/column, and 2 series as lines, with 2 y axes? > I only seem to be able to get one series in line format, while the > fir...

Two charttype on chart
Hi, I have export the data to excel from Vb, then add the graph in excel and set my secondary axis as.. ..SeriesCollection(4).AxisGroup = xlSecondary then how we set this group only as chatrtype as xlLine and the primary axis values by Column charttype -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Hi, Try this, ..SeriesCollection(4).AxisGroup = xlSecondary ..SeriesCollection(4).ChartType = xlLine Cheers Andy shah firdaous via OfficeKB.com wrote: > Hi, I have export the data to excel from Vb, then add the graph in excel > and set my secondary axis as.. > .SeriesCollection(4).Axi...

Sorting in Pivot Charts
I'm using Access 2003 & am trying to sort in a Pivot Chart. I have a single series & I'm trying to sort by the qty of that series. Thanks much in advance, M.C. ...

Link chart format to a cell
I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special cell. For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) and for another value red bars? Please anyone? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, vito <vito@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special >For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) >and for another value red bars? You can't, it's not possible in Excel. But you can have two series, one which...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...

Setting Major tick to none on charts is not working, is it a bug?
I've tried to set the major tick for my x-axis to none, so that the marks only show up above my data points along the x-axis... it is not working I notice a small change from None to Cross, but it basically looks the same as cross, just a little bit shorter on both ends(inside and outside). Anyone know if this is being fixed, if it's a bug... or if I'm doing it incorrectly? I can change it with both XY Scatter charts and Line charts. What type of chart are you trying to change? "Mike J" <Mike J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EFDB3C7-1CBD-4...

Should I update to Excel ?
Hello This is my first message on this forum. I am not really a computer person but I do use a computer especially Works version 7 spreadsheet to do my accounts. I do not have Excel but I am consideing buying the Excel update. If I do this what happens to my existing works spreadsheet files ? Do they become unusable, or do they become automatically converted to Excel ? Or can I continue to use them as works files ? Thanks very much for any one who takes the trouble to reply Steve -- Thank you from someone who is not a computer person If you look at your saveas options you should see that y...

Updating a chart, within a workspace
I keep a daily log of a particular price, plus its moving average. I use an Excel spreadsheet for this. Under a separate tab, I have set up a Chart, that visually tracks both the daily log of price, and the moving average. I need a simple method for updating the chart. So far, the only method I can find that works is to "Clear" [delete] each plot on the chart, and then use "Copy, Paste" to achieve an updated Chart plot of the two parameters. This is laborious, since I have to re-do my color and line preferences each time. There must surely be a more elegant m...

smart tags and stock updates
I use smart tags in excel to track my stocks. Before using smart tages, I used to bring in data using yahoo. But smart tags pulls their quotes from MSN Money, which is fine by me. The problem is I have many many spreadsheets, and MSN Money lets me refresh the quotes every five minutes. Great if it is all on one worksheet. Not great if you use many many worksheets. I tried tying the multiple worksheets together into one master worksheet, with all the info carried over form the first sheet to the larger one, but found they would not update the latest prices, unless the "smart ta...

Update query result to table
I can't find a good example on the web showing how to update table with the result from query. Table1 name "Agent1" column have: phone#(primary key), birthdate, and agent (total record 100). table2 name "Agent 2" have the same field (total record 150) except the data on agent is different. I run a query for this two tables and want to update the table1 with the table2 data where the phone#(primary Key). I want the result form the query will replace the agent in Agent1 table. How can i do that? UPDATE Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON Table1.[Phone#] = Table2.[Phone#]...

Display data points that are less than the chart trendline
I have a standard chart with an x and y axis and a linear trend line. Is it possible to have the chart to only display the values that are less than the trend line? Thank you in advance for your help. Hi, Sure you can. Firstly, either hide your existing data points, or make them a very pale grey colour. Then, assume your x values are in A1:A10, and your y values are in B1:B10. In say A12, calculate the slope of the trendline with =SLOPE(B1:B10,A1:A10) and in say A13 calculate the intercept using =INTERCEPT(B1:B10,A1:A10) In column C, calculate the corresponding y value for each x value fr...

Problem formatting date values in chart...
I have a blood pressure tracking spreadsheet -- at a minimum, it tracks Systolic and Diastolic pressure for a given day. A B C E.g.: Date Systolic Diastolic 1 9/3/04 120 90 2 9/4/04 123 87 3 9/5/04 129 79 I currently have a simple line graph that shows systolic data points over diastolic data points. The left hand (Y axis) value is "Pressure". My problem is that I want the "date" values of Col. A to display at the bottom of the graph as a label with each corresponding data point and...

How do I Add a variable in the legend without charting the data?
I have three variables that need to appear in my legend but only two of them should appear in the chart. How do I show the third variable in the legend without it being plotted in the chart? Hi, You can add a third series to the chart so that the legend item appears but set the data to be plotted to be zero or #N/A such that the column or line is not displayed. Cheers Andy Legends vs Plotting wrote: > I have three variables that need to appear in my legend but only two of them > should appear in the chart. How do I show the third variable in the legend > without it being p...

How do I get rid of the Excel update?
I tried to get the Office Update (I think Office SP2) and had to quit the installation because we have lost the discs. Now, about a week later, we cannot access Microsoft Excel. Word works, as does Publisher. When clicking to launch Excel, it starts to "install" and asks for the disc (which we don't have). How do I downgrade to the previous version, removing the update, without using the disc? I suggest you contact Microsoft re replacement discs. Try support.microsoft.com for a phone number. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:09:06 -0800, Sam Stockley <SamStockley@discussions.micro...

How to update a certain record with a checkbox
I'm pretty much new to all this, so if this question appears to have been written by a complete rookie at writing VB code, well...that's because it is. I am trying to figure how to update a field of a certain record in a table by checking a box in a form. I don't know how to break this down in Access or VB programming terms, so I'll just lay it out. I track the status of 21 aircraft. The AIRCRAFT table has 21 records. One of the fields in the AIRCRAFT table is "Last Fly Date". I have another form called DAILY RECAP INPUT, along with it's associated table of...

Pie of Pie Chart #2
How is the "Pie of Pie" chart used? I know this is the chart I need, I just don't know how to plot the data. I have 3 discrepancies - Broken 85%, Misplaced 10% and Incomplete 5%. I want to create a pie chart that shows the 3 discrepancies. I also want another chart that has 4 different sub-discrepancies for broken. Example: Broken1 50%, Broken2 25%, Broken3 15% and Broken4 10% - How can I plot this data and create the chart I need? Thanks Hi Karen - List the data like this: Incomplete 5% Misplaced 10% Broken1 50% Broken2 25% Broken3 15% Broken4 ...