Updating Charts with Macro

I have set up my charts so that i can update them automatically by putting
the appropriate data in the fields. I would now like to be able to update
them using a macro, but cant seem to get it to automatically go to the next
blank cell to put in the date, infor etc. Any help would be greatly
appreciated..Thank you in advance

cosmith (7)

Chris -

You haven't really given enough information to describe your requirement.

You could use dynamic ranges, with offset, index, or indirect worksheet
functions, and bypass the macros, too.  See the few examples and many
links here:
  http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Chris wrote:
> I have set up my charts so that i can update them automatically by putting
> the appropriate data in the fields. I would now like to be able to update
> them using a macro, but cant seem to get it to automatically go to the next
> blank cell to put in the date, infor etc. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated..Thank you in advance

0
jonpeltier (303)
7/26/2003 12:27:40 AM
Let me try to explain a little more I have multiple charts that have
date,sales,daily difference. I run one report from Acess that I import into
excel using transferspreadsheet. Once this is in Excel I would like to run a
macro from this one report that would update all of my charts. I can get the
macro to put information into the chart data tables but I cant only get it
to go to the same empty cell everytime where I would like it to go to the
next empty cell so that I could update daily automatcially. I hope this is
clearer, as you can tell I am very new to this and am trying to slowly
learn. Thank you again.
"Jon Peltier" <jonpeltier@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Chris -
>
> You haven't really given enough information to describe your requirement.
>
> You could use dynamic ranges, with offset, index, or indirect worksheet
> functions, and bypass the macros, too.  See the few examples and many
> links here:
>   http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html
> _______
>
> Chris wrote:
> > I have set up my charts so that i can update them automatically by
putting
> > the appropriate data in the fields. I would now like to be able to
update
> > them using a macro, but cant seem to get it to automatically go to the
next
> > blank cell to put in the date, infor etc. Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated..Thank you in advance

0
cosmith (7)
7/26/2003 12:47:52 AM
Chris -

Okay, I still don't know where your data is stored, but I can suggest a
way to refer to the next empty cell.

If you want to put a value into the cell after the last non empty cell
in column A, you refer to the empty cell as:

Dim rngNextCell as Range
rngNextCell = ActiveSheet.Cells(65536,1).End(xlUp).Offset(1,0)

- Jon
-------

Chris wrote:
> Let me try to explain a little more I have multiple charts that have
> date,sales,daily difference. I run one report from Acess that I import into
> excel using transferspreadsheet. Once this is in Excel I would like to run a
> macro from this one report that would update all of my charts. I can get the
> macro to put information into the chart data tables but I cant only get it
> to go to the same empty cell everytime where I would like it to go to the
> next empty cell so that I could update daily automatcially. I hope this is
> clearer, as you can tell I am very new to this and am trying to slowly
> learn. Thank you again.
> "Jon Peltier" <jonpeltier@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Chris -
>>
>>You haven't really given enough information to describe your requirement.
>>
>>You could use dynamic ranges, with offset, index, or indirect worksheet
>>functions, and bypass the macros, too.  See the few examples and many
>>links here:
>>  http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html
>>_______
>>
>>Chris wrote:
>>
>>>I have set up my charts so that i can update them automatically by
>>
> putting
>
>>>the appropriate data in the fields. I would now like to be able to
>>
> update
>
>>>them using a macro, but cant seem to get it to automatically go to the
>>
> next
>
>>>blank cell to put in the date, infor etc. Any help would be greatly
>>>appreciated..Thank you in advance

0
jonpeltier (303)

National City auto-update
I used to be able to have Microsfot Money automatically download transactions from my accounts. Now whenever it goes to check it says it failed. I tried setting it up again but it prompts me "National City Requires a Password Change", but no matter what I enter in these boxes it says the password/pin is incorrect. I called National City and they said there wasn't anything wrong with my account. What should I do? In microsoft.public.money, Josh wrote: >I used to be able to have Microsfot Money automatically download transactions >from my accounts. Now whenever i...

Display text in Excel Bubble chart. #2
H1!, I have an Excel spreadsheet which contains X-coordinates, Y-Cordinates, Well name and Cumulative Oil/Gas/Water production. I have created bubble map using X,Y and Z(Cum production). I need to show the well name on each Bubble, which I am unable to do. Kindly sugest method to display the well name on the bubbles. Thanks, Raja Mukherjee Raja - Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (http://appspro.com) is a free addin that adds text from the worksheet to data labels on a chart series. I just tested it on a bubble chart and it works fine. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP ...

histogram or pie chart or?
Greetings from the UK... I have a list of around 1000 numbers, all integers whose values can range from 1 through to 4000. Most of these numbers repeat themselves in the list . What I want to do is produce a chart showing the number of times each descrete number appears , its value and the percentage of times it appears in the list . I think ( dangerous for me !) I should be looking at a histogram or a even a pie chart but so far my attempts (using the data analysis and chart wizards) are not what I want. As an example a list of 12 numbers could be 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 4, ...

Stacked charts #3
Is it possible to create a circular stacked chart? So the radius of the circle is equivalent to the height of the bar. It seems like it should be possible but I just can't think of a way to get it done! Thanks in advance, HarryAdney Not too sure if this is what you want, but you can take the existing chart, create a circle from the drawing toolbar, copy the circle, click on the bar you want changing and paste it -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "HarryAd...

Creating a chart with text not numbers
How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)? I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166 rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. I want to create a bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes. Thanks, Alan First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category labels. Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html - Jon...

range of chart
If I am trying to chart information related to individual's payroll in comparison to total pay roll, how do I select the correct range to have the names show along with the value ranges? Tracey - Do you want the names ass data labels, linked to the points? If so, use one of these free utilities to add text from cells to the chart: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Tracey wrote: > If I am trying to chart...

Run macro only if
Hi, i need a macro to run if A1 contains "John" and C1 contains "Mari", and if D1 is blank. If this criteria is not mached, then the macro to display a message. Can this be done? Thanks! Hi, Is this what you mean Sub somemacro() Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1") ' change to suit With sht If UCase(.Range("A1")) <> "JOHN" _ Or UCase(.Range("C1")) <> "MARI" _ Or .Range("D1") <> "" Then MsgBox "Criteria not met" Exit Sub End If End With 'Your code End Su...

global macro.xls
I have an Excel file that if I open it on a machine with office 2k not 2k3 and click on cells it gives a message "cant find global macro.xls." No such file exists on my machines, but it works fine in office 2k3. Any thoughts? Interesting. Can you send it to me? You can clear out any proprietary data first it you want. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "spammeblind" <spammeblind@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5F2A847-73D9-4937-A181-EA7647B667A5@microsoft.com... |I have an Excel file that if I open it on a machine with office 2k not 2k3 and click on cel...

money 2007 crashes when updating account info
Hi folks, I'm running Money 2007 trial on vista. However after I fill in my email/password, Money pops out a window saying "Updating Accout Info", then it crashes! If I restart the program I can login, but retrieving bank list failes each time and money crashes when I click "receive account updates from MSN money my accounts". I've owned money 2006 before so I think I do have some old information on msn money.Any idea? Thanks Kun In microsoft.public.money, qk wrote: > >I'm running Money 2007 trial on vista. However after I fill in my >email/...

How do I limit labels in chart legend to only a portion of data?
I am hoping to get a chart that includes four lines of data, but with only two of the line labels for the data showing up in the chart legend. The two lines that I want excluded are just straight bars that will include a text box within the chart as their label, but I have run into problems with simply slapping a line on the chart as it does not move around when we scale up or down the two axes. Is there a way to get the legend to only show the label identifiers with only the two sets of data that I want shown? Thank you Hi, The legend displays an entry for each series in the chart....

Updating 20k+ rows from Excel to access. vbscript? VBA? SQL?
Any suggestions? Some of these rows only need a few columns updated, and others need all of them updated. If possible if say row 800 column 'S' is filled in the access DB but is blank on the excel spreadsheet, if possible i like to keep the existing data in access and over right it with a blank cell. The spreadsheet is a export of the access DB, changes were made/merged from other spreadsheets so the Unique ID is the same and in column A. A script suggestions to complete this? Thanks :) dim dbe dim db dim ssql set dbe = createobj("dao.dbengine.36") set db = dbe.openda...

SQL to update Item.LastCounted based on PhysicalInventory.CloseTime
Because of a bug/deficiency/oversight in a third party inventory counting application , I did a bunch of physical inventories that did not update the Item.LastCounted field. I need this field updated so I can see the correct date each item was counted last. I am willing to do a seperate SQL statement for each physical inventory sheet for which I have the problem. For example, I want to take each item in the PhysicalInventoryEntry table with PhysicalInventory.Code = '0000057' (or whatever the code is) and set Item.LastCounted = PhysicalInventory.CloseTime. I am not great at SQ...

Excel 2007
The charting function in my Office 2007 installation not working. When I click the Chart button, it shown following message. --------------------------- Information --------------------------- Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart type. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I have both Office 2003 and 2007 installed in my system. Is this a compatible issue? I had try the chart function in Word, Excel and PowerPoint all not working. Thanks did you ever figure out the problem? i'm getting the same error in office 2007...

Macro to send grab email address and open Outlook
Hi there I am trying to write a simple macro to be able to send an email based on an emai address in a form. tblAgency Details has a field EmailAddress (data type is text) I have a Command Button on a form frmAdd Agency Details to run a macro. Macro name is SendEmail - Action is only SendObject There are only two items in the Action Arguments To: =[EmailAddress] Edit Message: Yes (I only want Outlook to load with the email address) So far it does not work. When I have a field for a Web Address and the data type is a hyperlink that works well for me....

No sound after updating SP2 for Vista
Hi,sorry if this is a duplicate post,but I'm not sure mine posted the first time,it's not coming up in my searches. My Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop automatically informed me of an important update last night,and I went ahead and clicked through it and restarted.It had me download the SP2 for Vista and install it,but when I turned my computer back on after the requisite restart,my computer wasn't making any sound whatsoever.I tried using the volume toggle on the taskbar,I tried pressing the volume and mute buttons on my laptop and playing with the volume sliders in eac...

smooth area chart
When I make a line chart, there is a Smoothed Line option in the Format Data Series dialog box. But when I make an area chart, the line that forms the top of the area is jagged. Is there anyway to smooth the top of the area chart or other way to get the desired smoothed area chart? Like a smoothed line with shading underneath. Thanks. ...

Add a new code macro
I have workbook that I am trying to use with a macro form another post on this form. It inserts a new row with the formulas and contents of the selected row. The problem is that it copies the row below the one selected, and because of this, I can not make a copy of row 2 below the column headers. Any ideas? Thanks. Here is the code: '/=======Start of Code==========================/ Sub InsertRowsAndFillFormulas() 'adds desired # of lines below the current line and ' copies the formulas to that/those lines 'added selection of more than one worksheet ' - Gary L. Brown &#...

Todays Date that does not update
I created a macro and a button that when clicked it entered todays date in a cell, which is what I wanted. I used "Today( )". Problem is the date keeps updating to todays date and I want it to stay the date I entered it in. Is there some other value or formula to do this so it does not update everyday? Thanks!! You need to enter the date itself. Any function will always update to the current date. Ctrl+; will enter the current date in a cell. In VBA, use Range("A1").Value = Date -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC...

How to create a floating bar chart vertically not horizontally...
Hi, The technique is the same for both column and bar charts, which is to use a stacked chart and remove the formatting from the series used to 'float' your data. See Jon's explanation. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FloatingColumns.html Cheers Andy Cristina wrote: -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Mass Modify Chart of Accounts
My company's current account setup uses the 2nd segment in an account to denote the assigned property, while the 3rd segment identifies the posting account number. Say my current chart looks as follows: 1-001-1000 1-002-1000 1-003-1000 and I want to add a new account numbered 2000 for all the properties 001-003 to give me: 1-001-1000 1-001-2000 1-002-1000 1-002-2000 1-003-1000 1-003-2000 How can I do this for all properties at once without adding them individually through account maintenence, since I have about 8 new accounts to add to over 200 existing properties? I can see h...

Can't get automatic updates to work
I get this message: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018] The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running: Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer) Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted) Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed) To make sure these services are running: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. Type servic...

How do I create a new macro in Outlook 2007?
Below is the macro, copied from MS Word, where it works perfectly! In Outlook I get all sorts of error messages and debugging, which I don't understand. Thanks for any help. Sub SafariCare() ' ' SafariCare Macro ' Macro recorded 6/4/2007 by Eva Wilson ' Selection.TypeText Text:= _ "Thank you for your participation in the SafariCare program! " Selection.TypeText Text:= _ " Attached are the program guidelines for your convenience. " Selection.TypeParagraph Selection.TypeParagraph Selection.TypeText Text:= _ ...

money2004 hanging on updates
I upgraded from money2003 to money2004 last night, then went to online updates. The program can download my bank transactions but when it gets to "updating securities and news" it hangs. I cancel, and it hangs on "cancelling call". I end up having to cont-alt-del and restart money. Happens every time. Any suggestions or is it a server problem? thanks in advance In microsoft.public.money, jeff wrote: >I upgraded from money2003 to money2004 last night, then >went to online updates. The program can download my bank >transactions but when it gets to &q...

Adding a total row to a chart data table
I have the following data in a chart Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Data1 1 5 7 6 1 6 7 6 Data2 3 4 5 7 9 4 6 6 Is it possible to have the data table show a totals row? I.E: Totals 4 9 12 13 10 10 13 12 Thanks in advance, John You can't include the total in the data table. As a workaround, you could embed the chart on a worksheet, and display the data below it. Tushar Mehta has instructions on his web site: http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm John Ortt wrote: > I have the following data in a chart > > Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Data1 1 5 7 6 1 6 7 6...

Selecting Charts in a Macro
I have a worksheet which contains 7 charts: 1st Chart = Chart 12 2nd Chart = Chart 7 3rd Chart = Chart 11 4th Chart = Chart 13 5th Chart = Chart 24 6th Chart = Chart 16 7th Chart = Chart 26 I have a macro which copies the worksheet it over to a new worksheet within the same workbook, the charts are then labelled: 1st Chart = Chart 9 2nd Chart = Chart 7 3rd Chart = Chart 13 4th Chart = Chart 10 5th Chart = Chart 2 6th Chart = Chart 12 7th Chart = Chart 15 The macro then tries to select each chart and change the source data, what I don't know is how excel will treat the chart numbers for...