Updating A Chart ?

Hello,

New user to Excel 2007.
Wow !

Should have stayed with my really old version, which i had no trouble with.

Let me please ask a very general question.
No specific example, just in general.

I have noticed that "sometimes" when I change the data around, like move
items, or delete a bunch of blank lines, the Chart that is linked to it and
has been very nicely updating itself from the data does not do so.

Again, it seems "sometimes" is appropriate.

Is there a chart-refresh command anywhere that tells it to grab or update
itself on the basis of a changed column, or line deletions, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

0
rgsros1 (38)

I would love to get a sample files where this is happening - a before and
after file
My email can be found at my website
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Robert11" <rgsros@xnotme.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> New user to Excel 2007.
> Wow !
>
> Should have stayed with my really old version, which i had no trouble
> with.
>
> Let me please ask a very general question.
> No specific example, just in general.
>
> I have noticed that "sometimes" when I change the data around, like move
> items, or delete a bunch of blank lines, the Chart that is linked to it
> and has been very nicely updating itself from the data does not do so.
>
> Again, it seems "sometimes" is appropriate.
>
> Is there a chart-refresh command anywhere that tells it to grab or update
> itself on the basis of a changed column, or line deletions, etc. ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
bliengme (657)
7/9/2009 6:53:54 PM
Hello Sir,

Thanks so much for help, and past help.
Relly appreciate it.

If I can get files, when and if, the problems reappears, will send.

Best regards,
Bob

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.ca> wrote in message

> I would love to get a sample files where this is happening - a before and
> after file
> My email can be found at my website
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "Robert11" <rgsros@xnotme.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> New user to Excel 2007.
>> Wow !
>>
>> Should have stayed with my really old version, which i had no trouble
>> with.
>>
>> Let me please ask a very general question.
>> No specific example, just in general.
>>
>> I have noticed that "sometimes" when I change the data around, like move
>> items, or delete a bunch of blank lines, the Chart that is linked to it
>> and has been very nicely updating itself from the data does not do so.
>>
>> Again, it seems "sometimes" is appropriate.
>>
>> Is there a chart-refresh command anywhere that tells it to grab or update
>> itself on the basis of a changed column, or line deletions, etc. ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

0
rgsros1 (38)

Windows update
Hi all I plan to fix the code at the link below and use it to audit and analyze windows updates on a large fleet of laptops (around 1000). http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=806 My plan is to store everything in a table but it would be nice to retain raw data each time a laptop is audited (replace if one exists). How will Excel handle that many sheets (Atom processor; 2ghz Ram; Windows 7)? -- Steve I just ran the code from your link and it ran without a hitch. It wrote six columns with 700 rows. It looks like the Description column can be omitted. ...

Need to show percentage reduction on bar chart
Hi. I have a chart with two stacked columns on it. Say the values on the left stack are 200, 100, 80 and on the right stack 120, 40, 20. I want to display the totals on top of each stack ie 380 and 180. Secondly to the right of the right hand stack I want to show the percent reduction in each component. So 40%, etc. Is there a way to do these two tasks? Thanks. Put the totals (380, 180) into the worksheet, and add these as a new series. The series will be added as another stack, but right click on it, choose Chart Type, and select a line type to change it. The points are aligned ...

stock quotes won't update
I have a real tough time downloading my stock quotes. Often they won't download on the first, second or even third time I try, if at all. Yet if I go to the "read call summary messages" page, the money updates are always checked off, with the proper date and time. This is getting very frustrating, it has been happening for a long, long time. Any ideas, or is this just a poor Microsoft connection problem? I have no problem connecting to my email or other Web pages at the same time, so it is not my connection. I use Money 2004, Canadian version. Thanks, FJ Are all of the...

Update back-end tables, fields, relationships etc...
I am looking for some examples of code or links to code examples to update a back-end database appropriately so it works with the next version of the front-end. Both dbs are Access2007, Example: I have a table tblPreference in the back-end that has a versionNumber field and is set to "1.0". If my latest "2.0" front-end is opened I want it to detect the OLD version 1.0 back-end and run the code to update the back-end to "2.0" and then change the version number. Things I need done include: - adding fields to existing tables - deleting fields from ...

saving a chart
When I make an excel chart, and save it, then try to later retrieve it, I get back to the spreadsheet and have to start over with a new chart. Can you save a chart with the properties you selected for the chart intact? The only way around this so far is to copy the chart to the clipboard and then open in an image program I am using PAINT for that. What version of Excel are you using? I do not have this problem. "Glenn Vatter" wrote: > When I make an excel chart, and save it, then try to later retrieve it, I > get back to the spreadsheet and have to start over with a ...

Trendlines in Pivot Charts
How do I add a trendline to a chart based on a pivot table? Is it possible Thanks Leroy - Did you try this? Right click on a series, and select Add Trendline from the pop up menu. This works in Excel 2000 and XP (2002), and presumably for 2003 as well; Excel 97 didn't support pivot charts. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Leroy wrote: > How do I add a trendline to a chart based on a pivot table? Is it possible? > > Thanks Jon - I am having a similar problem - I hav...

A "C" in the middle of my chart
There is a "C" or "(" that is showing up in the middle of my Excel bar chart, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Any ideas? Thanks, Em Move the cursor slowly up to the character (it's a textbox) until the cursor changes to the four arrow icon, click once to select the textbox, and press Delete. It might be easier to select the textbox if you select the "Select Objects" button (looks like a cursor arrow) on the Drawing toolbar. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Peltier...

Access
Hi, i have a on going database for my employees and i would like to add another column employee ID number. On the existing table the column employee ID is there but no number associated to the employee. I want to import from excel. the excel file has all employees name and employee number. EE name is the primary key and i only want to import the EE ID number only, the rest of the column in the table leave as is. can someone help me with this? thanks On Tue, 18 May 2010 00:44:55 GMT, "accessnote" <u60148@uwe> wrote: >Hi, i have a on going database for my ...

Multiple windows updating multiple rows simultaneously ?
I'm maintaining an application that currently allows entry of new records or updating exisiting records. What would be involved in modifiying the application to allow multiple windows to be open simultaneously. In other words, if the user is updating or creating a record in one window, he can leave that window and go update another record in another window or create a new record in another window, returning to the other windows afterwards. How complex would this be to handle? Thanks in advance for any help. Yes, I guess that's what it would amount to. "SteveM" wrote...

Table and Chart
I have three variables: Screen (month and year), Eligible (yes/no), and Enrolled (yes/no). Screen starts on March 2005 and will continue for several years to come. I want to create a column chart that shows for each month and year the number of people who were eligible and enrolled. Below is a sample of the data. I think I want something like this: IF A:A = Jan-05, then count B:B and C:C of the same row where A:A is the column for Screen B:B is the column for Eligible C:C is the column for Enrolled Once I have the table I should be able to do the graph. I'm sure though I&...

Creating Bubble Charts
How do you create a bubble chart that displays the legend as a description of the 3rd variable (the bubble size)? For example, how would you create the following bubble chart where the x-axis is column B, y-axis is column C, bubble size is column D and legend is column A? A1: B1:Gross Rev C1:Net Income D1:# of Plants A2:East B2:830,000 C2:35,000 D2:26 A3:West B3:620,000 C3:54,000 D3:13 A4:North B4:150,000 C4:80,000 D4:40 A5:South B5:41,000 C5:15,000 D5:35 Any insight will be helpful! Hi Tina I would create a bubble chart and use one of the following tools for labelling the...

Access 2007 graph/chart
I have created an access graph in Microsoft Office XP Professional using a union query. I have now moved the database into Access 2007. When I look at the graph in design view everything is fine. When I switch to form view, the window around the graph is present but no graph. If I click on the window, the graph appears as seen in design view (correct). How can I make the graph load properly? Is this a focus issue? Would appreciate any help. Thanks. Arnold ...

Event 9790 appears after DST update
enviornment: Running Wk23 Ent. SP1 with W2k3 Exchange Ent. SP2 All of a sudden after applying kb926666 my Application Log is full of the following entry: Event Type: Information Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: Background Cleanup Event ID: 9790 Date: 3/6/2007 Time: 9:16:08 AM User: N/A Computer: <mailserver> Description: Cleanup of the DeliveredTo table for database 'First Storage Group\<mailstore>' was successful. 13 entries were purged. There are numerous Event 9790 entries for my mailstores and its causing some lag issues. Is there anyt...

bubble chart
Hi ... Have about 10 bubbles there. Need to format data labels of ALL 10 bubbles at the same time. (I wanna select Alignment > label position > center, that means moving all 10 data labels to the center of the bubbles) Any method that i can do it in one go, without the need to select and format it one by one ? Using Excel 2002. Thanks. Hi, If the bubbles are all different series then no. You can reduce the time by using F4 which will repeat the command. So format one data label and then select another and press F4. Cheers Andy dstdst123@excite.com wrote: > Hi ... > >...

How do I keep chart/data link when copying worksheet
I have a worksheet for each month within a file - each worksheet has data tables, and some charts generated from that data. With Excel 2003, when I copied a worksheet within the same file (for example, to create the July sheet, by copying the June sheet) the charts in the new (copied) July sheet correctly linked to the July data. When I do the same in Excel 2007, the charts in the July sheet link back to the June data instead. I have looked through the options and cannot see how to do this. Is the data on the same sheet as the chart? In 2003, if the chart was on a different worksheet, ...

Using Defined Names in Charts
I am using Office 2002. I am trying to create a chart that has only one Series called Data. The values for DATA is a name called SCROLL_DATA. The name has been defined using the Insert-Name-Define action. The workbook is called Quality Escapes.xls I have entered the following in the values box as I have seen many instruction as follows =Quality Escapes.xls!SCROLL_DATA What am I doing wrong. -- bobburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bobburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22006 View this thread: http:/...

Problem updating Service reference
Hello, I have a vb2008 solution with a WCF service project and UI project, the service project and UI project has a reference to a core project, that's project has one class usable for UI and service and referenced into all, went I try to update a service reference in UI project, appears a new datasource in service reference / Reference.svcmap, into UI project the calls to common class appears with at "not a member" error, and the cast lines between types of service core class and ui core class fails with "cannot be converted to" error because ui cla...

Paste a chart as a link?
Can you paste a chart as a link within the same workbook? I have a large workbook, with a different worksheet for each location. Each of these worksheets has a large data range which I add to each month. Next to the data range I have a corresponding chart. This makes it easy to update the chart each month, by dragging the color-coded range for the entire data series. What I need to do is display all of the charts together in one worksheet. I’ve tried moving them all to a separate worksheet, but then it’s difficult to update them. (no more color ranges) Is there an easier way to ...

Live Charts in PPT 2007
Is it possible to do the following: 1. Create an Excel Spreadsheet in PPT 2. Create a chart from the data in that spreadsheet 3. Link the embedded spreadsheet to the chart so that data changed in the PPT reflects in the chart. 4. In presentation mode, keep the spreadsheet live to that I can change data and have it reflect in the chart without dropping out of presentation mode? I do a lot of sales presentations and I'm hoping to be able to update information on the fly without "going behind the curtain." Thank you. 1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. 4. Don'...

Updates will not load SP3
Office Updates will not load any updates. There was a 90-day trial version of Office 2003 installed when I acquired the computer. I uninstalled it so that I could load Works Suite 2001 and Publisher 2000 which I already owned. Publisher version is SR1, but SP3 will not load. I think the same problem exists for Word 2000 in Works Suite. What do I have to delete in order to get the updates to work for the 2000 versions I installed after uninstalling the trial version of Office 2003. I get the notice that a more recent update has already been applied even though it has not when I try...

Screen Font suddenly tiny after last update
After the last auto update a few weeks ago my Outlook 2007 started displaying the body text as small as dots when composing new or forwarded emails and comments in calendar items. In order to read them I must select and increase font size to at least 72, and then return it to 11 (unrecognisable) before I send. When these emails are received they appear normal size (unless I forget to set it back to 11 from 72 !!) Messages in my inbox appear normal. I thought I would wait for a quick fix as I was certain the problem was not mine alone, but so far nothing. I have just today gone i...

How do Bar chart where Bar colour changes with different data Valu
hi, I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell for different values we can use conditional format. Hi, Have a look an Jon's example of conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy Zeeshan wrote: > hi, > I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for > different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell > for different values we can use conditional format. -- Andy Pope, Micro...

Timeline chart from text containing cells
I have seen great tips here for creating Excel timeline charts from numerical data. My question may be far afield but here it is: is there a way to create a timeline chart from a table organized as follows: 1) Years 2004 to 2009 as column headings, columns B-G 2) Product descriptions as row titles in column A 3) keywords (such as "RE", "EX", "FS") in the intersecting cells Can Excel convert these key words to distinctive symbols (such as a square bullet, round bullet, diamond shaped bullet) and create a timeline chart? So it's like a Gantt chart with...

How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?
I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible when my charts are created. Can I set new color defaults for charts created in Excel? Hi, You can set the colours for chart lines and fill. Menu Tools > Options. On the Color tab is a set of colours for Line and Fill. Cheers Andy pro user wrote: > I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end > up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible > when my char...

MS CRM 3.0 Vista Compatibility update didn't work
Hi Please help. I've installed the compatibility update on a client laptop with Vista and Office 2007. The installation is successful and all the CRM buttons are active. When I select and entity, e.g. Accounts, the page appears with a IE error that the page cannot be displayed. Does anyone know how I can fix this? ...