unwanted resizing when copy-pasting embedded charts

When looking at a worksheet at any zoom factor other than 100%
copy-pasting an embedded chart multiplies the original chart size b
this zoom factor. Since I prefer to work with zoom factor 75%, paste
charts always get smaller than their original copy. Thus, the only wa
I know to obtain pasted copies at the original size is by firs
switching to zoom factor 100%. This is most likely a bug of Excel bu
if any of you knows a way to correct this counterintuitive behavior
please let me know. Thanx!
(I'm using Excel 2003.

--
holg3
holg3r's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2383

Holger -

There are other reasons to stick with 100% zoom, but I'll respect your
preferences.

Hold down the shift key when you select a chart, so it is highlighted by
small white handles instead of small black ones. Now copy and paste the
chart, and it will not change in size from the original regardless of
zoom setting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

holg3r wrote:

> When looking at a worksheet at any zoom factor other than 100%,
> copy-pasting an embedded chart multiplies the original chart size by
> this zoom factor. Since I prefer to work with zoom factor 75%, pasted
> charts always get smaller than their original copy. Thus, the only way
> I know to obtain pasted copies at the original size is by first
> switching to zoom factor 100%. This is most likely a bug of Excel but
> if any of you knows a way to correct this counterintuitive behavior,
> please let me know. Thanx!
> (I'm using Excel 2003.)

Thank you, Jon! The SHIFT key did the job the way you said. This makes
my work much easier, thanks again!

Your initial remark made me curious -- what would be the "other reasons
to stick with 100% zoom"?

Holger

--
holg3r
holg3r's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23836

You would ask... The chart size thing is a major one, and I only
discovered the shift-click behavior recently. But I vaguely recall
having issues like this in the past, not only with charts, but with rows
and columns that don't autosize properly because the screen fonts don't
fit in cells the way the printer fonts do except at 100% or higher, and
other behaviors as well. For the past decade at least, I've stuck to
100% view, and now I've forgotten most of the reasons for this.

- Jon
-------

holg3r wrote:

> Thank you, Jon! The SHIFT key did the job the way you said. This makes
> my work much easier, thanks again!
>
> Your initial remark made me curious -- what would be the "other reasons
> to stick with 100% zoom"?
>
> Holger

Thanx anyway, I think I got the idea... In fact, I recall a few issues
with displaying certain fonts myself...

All the best,
Holger

--
holg3r
holg3r's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23836
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374900

Copy and Paste not saving format changes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I just bought Microsoft Office for Mac early this month and am still getting used to it. Can someone help me with this: I have several documents typed onto a notebook layout with lots of bullet points, color changes, cross outs and the like. I wanted to copy and past all of that into a new document but when I did ALL of the formatting changes were lost. There were no bullet points, so the text flushed left, yada, yada, yada. I looked around the toolbar to try and find a setting that would allow me to do the cut an...

EzPaste-xl2ppt Excel add-in, automating the copy/paste of charts and data
Hello, This is to notify about the release of EzPaste (http:// www.EzPaste.net), an Excel add-in intended to completely automate the transfer of charts and data from Excel to PowerPoint. EzPaste identifies automatically all the charts and the tables defined in the active workbook. The user then selects which of them he wants to paste to PowerPoint=AE , and EzPaste does all the work, would you have to paste one or one hundred tables/charts at once Even if you have to paste the selected range or chart, EzPaste does it with the click of a button Sorry if this message is a bit advertising, b...

Changing to Combination-chart from existing chart
I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the same chart. How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform them to bars? Regards Jan Hi Jan, Right click a line series that you wish to change. From the popup menu select Chart type and pick bar. Cheers Andy Jan wrote: > I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I > now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the > same chart. > > How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform > them to bars? > > Reg...

Static Chart Data Range
Excel-2007, simple line chart: I have a chart that displays several columns of data for rows 2:84. Whenever I insert a new row #2, the new data range for the chart is now 3:85. How do I keep a static data range for my chart (2:84) whenever I insert new rows into the workbook? I have tried editing $A$2:$E$84 to A2:E84 and then saving the changes ... but it is an excercise in futility, it always reverts back to $A$2:$E$84. I would recommend creating a blank row 2, and hiding it. Then, when you insert a new row, you'll be inserting within the boundaries, instead of moving ...

Need help grouping charts
I have identical charts which occur on multiple sheets. Is there any wa to group them for editing? When I group the sheets themselves, it seems to deactivate the charts I tried doing it with a macro as an alternative and then flipping th sheets one by one and keying the macro, but I get a message box with: "Run-time error 1004", "Unable to get the ChartObjects property of th worksheet class". Does anyone have any ideas -- Izz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Izzy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getin...

Chart to show Portfolio Value over time?
I'm using Money 2003. I would like to be able to see the $ value I have in my portfolio over time. So that I can weep. Money does have a chart view that allows you to see the PRICE history for a given stock over time - but not the dollar value of your investment in the stock over time. In fact, I can't seem to find a view at all that shows you the net value of your portfolio/individual stocks changing over time. The best I've been able to do is to use the "Net Worth" report and unselect all the other accounts. This has insufficient granularity (months instea...

Copying contacts?
Hi I am trying to copy my Contacts to an other PC using flash memory. For some reason no success? I seam to copy a lot extra on top of Contacts and therefore cannot proceede to the end of the .pst import wizard. Are there instructions to do that? Thanks Kalevi Yes. Never export or import. Copy the Contacts into a PST file. Open that PST file in the other installation. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Kalevi" <kale@woodworld.fi> wrote in message news:dpakkj$aru$1@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi... > Hi > I am trying to copy my Contacts to an other PC using flash memory. For &...

Re: Function to copy data from a variable range?
I have a sheet with about 20,000 lines of data. From that sheet I am looking to group the data based on a parameter, into multiple different sheets. ie: If the category is "1" copy all that lines data into sheet A, If the category is "2", copy all the lines into sheet B. The problem is, the number of lines for each acatgeory type is not always the same. Some categories may only have 1 or two lines, other may have 200-300. Is there any type of function for this? Thanks! Doable but why not just use data>filter>autofilter -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesA...

Data labels for Excel 2007 Charts
Hi, I have charts that are based on dynamically populated data. I need the data labels for all of these charts to appear with 0 decimal places. The dynamic data populates with 2 decimal places (X.XX). Is there a universal setting I can apply to the worksheet or even the chart itself, so I do not have to go to each data point/data label and set the formatting to 0 decimal places? Thanks, Courtney ...

change exist chart to be dynamic
Hi all How can I change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a name in y axis only but no name of x axis. How can I create a series for x axis? Thanks in advance Daniel You need to understand how dynamic charts work. There are tutorials and links to more on this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF77A61A-58A9-4629-90E1-20742E6...

Automated Copy Paste
I have a template with 7 sheets that I continuously update with new data that I get from a seprate file. Each sheet is named "sheet1", "sheet2" "sheet3" and so on. My template has a series of summary sheets based off of the data that lies in these 7 inputs sheets. Currently, I use copy, paste special to update sheets 1-7 in my template. Instead of using copy, paste special one at a time, I would like to the move 7 sheets from my other file in my template. If I do this, the sheets will show up as duplicates so I will have "sheet1 (2)"...

Macro Copy and Paste
I am currently trying to copy from one workbook that has 7 differen tabs and paste into one worksheet on a separate master workbook. M problem is that when I set up the macro to copy from one of the tabs i the workbook and paste to the other work book, I only want the the row to come in where there is data. Currently I am having to run a macr that takes every 100 lines, but ideally I only want the informatio copy and pasted where there is only data. In addition, once I have copy and pasted everything from the first tab my next step is to copy and paste information from the second tab t th...

Interactive Chart Examples
I once was given an Excel file (protected of course - D'Oh!!!) where the person had charts that were interactive. There were various series and you scrolled thru a scroll bar to select the series you wanted. It would change the chart as you scrolled Can anybody point to samples that folks have done to do this. Previous posts have given a few links but I was hoping that someone has an example That I could use so I do not have to develop one from scratch. Thanks. Homer J. Simpson Hi, Have a look at these examples, Series and data http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.h...

I cannot paste from one workbook to another. Copy works, paste do.
When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out in the workbook to which I attempt to paste. Are there setting that can be changed to aloow the paste?? Check to see if either workbook and/or worksheet is protected. If so, unprotect. Then Copy/Paste should work. BTW, how are you copy?paste(ing) Tab or content? Dennis "JimmyMc" wrote: > When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears > to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out...

how do I prevent a worksheet from being copied in excel
yet allow users to select values in a defined range Good evening kensanjose You really need to supply more information about what you mean - cop the file/sheets/ranges etc Dominic -- dominic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1893 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38531 How do I prevent a worksheet from being copied in excel? Can I disable right click within a file so that the sheet cannot be copied into another file and manipula...

How do I get a chart to display backwards/forwards?
I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't display backwards. The nearest day displays on the left side of the chart, not the right. How do I change that? Double click on the axis, select the scale tab, and check "Values in reverse order" Jerry Will wrote: > I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. > When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't > display backwards. The nearest day displays on the ...

Bar chart & Category (x) axis labels #2
If you make a bar chart in Excel 2003, and have two columns of text as Category (x) axis labels, the first column is shown vertical and the text in the second column is shown horizontal in the chart. If you open/make the same chart in Excel 97, the text in both columns is shown horizontal. If there is a lot of text, it becomes unreadable when it's vertical. Is this by design or can it be fixed somehow? ...

Visio 2003 Organizational Chart 2002 Compatibility
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C52B1D.54B10360 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have an organizational chart created in Visio 2003 Professional, and I = have saved the chart (with synchronized pages) in the 2002 file format. My problem is that when a Visio 2002 Standard user opens the file, the = pages are no longer synchronized, nor can the 2002 users expand and = collapse subordinates. Is this the norm, or what am I doing wrong here?=20 Thanks, Todd ------=_NextPart_000_0045_...

Pivot Chart Bar Width
Is it possible to stabilize the width of the bars when using a Pivot Chart? When there is very little data to chart - based on the values I select from page data pull-downs - the bars are really fat. Other times they are thin. I would really like to have a standard width. tia Pat Watson Pat - The bars are based on a percentage of the spacing between categories. If you have fewer categories, the bars get wider. If you decreased the bar width (by increasing gap width on the Other tab of the format series dialog), they'd be much further apart. You can't adjust these automatical...

Time-based floating bar chart
I have a problem similar to "Kaixi". I have data for elapsed times of backups, and I'm trying to chart the beginning and ending time of the backups for each server. The only problem is that each server may have more than one backup job, so I need to chart the elapsed time from the earliest start time to the latest end time, with gaps shown where there is no activity. The data looks like this: server start-time end-time abc 08:00 08:30 abc 08:00 08:45 abc 09:00 09:30 def 09:00 09:10 def 0...

SPC Control Charts
Does anyone know if Excel can create SPC control charts? I can not find them anywhere. Not as a basic chart type. You can roll your own. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html#CtrlCht has suggestions. Jerry Skip wrote: > Does anyone know if Excel can create SPC control charts? > I can not find them anywhere. ...

Text box unwanted border
For some reason I know not why, that even though I enter 'No line' in both Line/Border style and Dash style I still have a visible bold dash surrounding the text box. Any help would be appreciated. Did you happen to draw a rectangle around the text box? Try highlighting it, and move the bottom text box adjustment up. If the dashed line didn't move, click on it and delete. Or, Copy the text, and paste it and if the dashed line didn't go with the copy, delete the original. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Meridklt" <Meridklt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

copying .pst files to cd #2
i got a new computer, and i want to transfer my inbox and sent messages files from the old computer to the new one. however, my .pst archives do not show up in explorer or in my cd burner "explorer" and when i located the files through "find files" and then dragged them into the cd burner i/o box, it cannot see them and doesn't copy them onto the cd... how in the world do i do this seemingly simple thing: copying files onto a cd so i can transfer them to my new computer and then import them into my new computer's outlook? this is the most ridiculous thing ...

multiple charts
Hi, is it possible to create one chart per line of data? I have file with hundreds of names and their corresponding data that needs to be mail merged into a letter with their chart. Kathleen Hi Kathleen, > Hi, is it possible to create one chart per line of data? I have file with > hundreds of names and their corresponding data that needs to be mail > merged > into a letter with their chart. Try going here http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelCharts/tabid/102/Default.aspx and download the 'Multiple Chart Builder' Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com ...

Unwanted Sounds
Windows Vista Home Premium. IE7. Office 2007 Peculiar sounds annoy me so I have set 'Sounds' to virtually nil using Control Panel/Sounds and disabling all the Windows boings and beeps and saved the setting as "My own". However, I keep getting the odd boing, burp and beep, such as when closing a programme after pasting something and closing E7. Is there somewhere else I should look to stop these irritants? TIA or any help. Ed Hi, Look at programs (security, privacy, etc) which load at startup and run in the background. Look in the System Tray for th...