Truncated "y" axis label in chart

:confused: Hi guys
I have a problem with Excel, the label on the �Y� axis appears
truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file
in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as
in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I
erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also
re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate
sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

--
flakkortin
flakkortin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25305

Hi

This is a known problem and, last I heard, hadn't been properly fixed. I
posted a similar question in July 04 ('clipping of y-axis label') and this
was Jon Peltier response:

"This is due to a combination of font size, zoom factor, screen resolution,
and a few other monitor related parameters ("pixel aspect
ratio"). It's frustrating because it isn't really predictable, and it isn't
easy to get rid of.

The standard workaround suggested here is to append a couple spaces and a
period after the title text. Hide the period for those without this
problem by formatting the last character's font color to match the
background. Another option is to put the desired text into a text box
formatted the way the title would have been.

I understand that Microsoft is preparing an article for the knowledge base
relating to this problem. I don't believe there's a more satisfying
workaround than the one I just described"

I haven't checked whether the KB article has now appeared. If is has,
I'msure someone will give a pointer to it.

HTH, Phil

"flakkortin" <flakkortin.1sckeb_1121659501.8859@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:flakkortin.1sckeb_1121659501.8859@excelforum-nospam.com...

> :confused: Hi guys
> I have a problem with Excel, the label on the "Y" axis appears
> truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file
> in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as
> in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I
> erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also
> re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate
> sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem?
>

> --
> flakkortin
> flakkortin's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25305
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=387911

Thanks Phil, if someone knows of the article for the knowledge base
please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when
clicking on top of it, it won't open the Excel spreadsheet.  :)

--

"flakkortin" <flakkortin.1se9if_1121738822.1405@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:flakkortin.1se9if_1121738822.1405@excelforum-nospam.com...
> please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
> the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when

Use Edit/Paste Special and choose a picture option.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

0
echos (11)
7/24/2005 4:06:12 AM
I've recently heard that some people have fixed the problem by updating
video drivers.

If it's any consolation, the problem seems to go away in print preview
and in printed copy.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Phil C wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is a known problem and, last I heard, hadn't been properly fixed. I
> posted a similar question in July 04 ('clipping of y-axis label') and this
> was Jon Peltier response:
>
> "This is due to a combination of font size, zoom factor, screen resolution,
> and a few other monitor related parameters ("pixel aspect
> ratio"). It's frustrating because it isn't really predictable, and it isn't
> easy to get rid of.
>
> The standard workaround suggested here is to append a couple spaces and a
> period after the title text. Hide the period for those without this
> problem by formatting the last character's font color to match the
> background. Another option is to put the desired text into a text box
> formatted the way the title would have been.
>
> I understand that Microsoft is preparing an article for the knowledge base
> relating to this problem. I don't believe there's a more satisfying
> workaround than the one I just described"
>
> I haven't checked whether the KB article has now appeared. If is has,
> I'msure someone will give a pointer to it.
>
> HTH, Phil
>

> "flakkortin" <flakkortin.1sckeb_1121659501.8859@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
> in message news:flakkortin.1sckeb_1121659501.8859@excelforum-nospam.com...
>
>>:confused: Hi guys
>>I have a problem with Excel, the label on the "Y" axis appears
>>truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file
>>in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as
>>in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I
>>erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also
>>re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate
>>sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem?
>>

>>--
>>flakkortin
>>flakkortin's Profile:
>
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25305
>
>>View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=387911

Came across this today.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870698

flakkortin wrote:
> Thanks Phil, if someone knows of the article for the knowledge base
> please let me know. In the meantime, does someone knows how to break
> the link once you paste a chart from Excel to Word? e.g. so as when
> clicking on top of it, it won't open the Excel spreadsheet.  :)

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
7/27/2005 12:56:52 PM
Unfortunately, the link did not solve my problem.  I have searched all the
newsgroups and have been unable to find an acceptable solution.  The problem
appears to occur both in Excel and PowerPoint.  I do have a widescreen laptop
monitor, and simultaneously drive an 4:3 external monitor.  I constantly have
problems with charts, especially the y-axis labels, but also problems where
entire chart windows will change when the screen resolution is altered.
(This happens with some regularity as I give PowerPoint presentations at
dozens of locations, and occasionally the laptop screen will try to resize to
be compatible with the projector)  It apparently can cause font substition
and other issues.  I've tried using othe fonts, both true- and non true-type.
 Appending several spaces and a period (with the same font color as the
background) does solve some problems with the y-axis, but not all.  It seems
this is a very prevalent problem with monitors that are not 4:3 proportions.
Is there a fix on the horizon?

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Came across this today.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870698
> > Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
MVincent (2)
8/2/2005 11:08:01 PM
 > Is there a fix on the horizon?
Not that I know of but then that's not really saying a lot. The KB
article is a year old and as far as I know a patch has not been issued
so I would assume the fix is going to require something major like a new
version of the OS or Office. Even then there's no guarantee's. But with
the rise in wide screen usage I would have thought the problem would be
addressed, eventually.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
8/3/2005 8:06:13 AM
I had a cut at the article a year ago, and was underwhelmed, because the
problem has been occurring since long before the existence of any "wide
screen display that has a greater width to height ratio than 4:3".

Since then I've tried to help categorize conditions that lead to the
problem, but since none of my machines are susceptible to the problem,
it's hard to track down.

Others have reported that updating their video or monitor drivers have
helped (but some say it didn't help).

The only saving grace is that these charts (seem to) display properly in
print preview and on the printed page.

- Jon
-------

Andy Pope wrote:

>  > Is there a fix on the horizon?
> Not that I know of but then that's not really saying a lot. The KB
> article is a year old and as far as I know a patch has not been issued
> so I would assume the fix is going to require something major like a new
> version of the OS or Office. Even then there's no guarantee's. But with
> the rise in wide screen usage I would have thought the problem would be
> addressed, eventually.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>

> M Vincent wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, the link did not solve my problem.  I have searched all
>> the newsgroups and have been unable to find an acceptable solution.
>> The problem appears to occur both in Excel and PowerPoint.  I do have
>> a widescreen laptop monitor, and simultaneously drive an 4:3 external
>> monitor.  I constantly have problems with charts, especially the
>> y-axis labels, but also problems where entire chart windows will
>> change when the screen resolution is altered.  (This happens with some
>> regularity as I give PowerPoint presentations at dozens of locations,
>> and occasionally the laptop screen will try to resize to be compatible
>> with the projector)  It apparently can cause font substition and other
>> issues.  I've tried using othe fonts, both true- and non true-type.
>>  Appending several spaces and a period (with the same font color as
>> the background) does solve some problems with the y-axis, but not
>> all.  It seems this is a very prevalent problem with monitors that are
>> not 4:3 proportions.  Is there a fix on the horizon?
>>
>> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>>

>>> Came across this today.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870698

>>> http://www.andypope.info

Jon, I actually have more severe troubles than your message indicates.
Frequently, even when printed, or viewed in print preview, axis labels will
be clipped.  I currently have my desktop "extended" across two monitors at
different resolutions, which likely compounds the problem.  I have very
erratic success when I copy a figure from Excel and paste into Word or
PowerPoint (or from PP into another PP presentation, etc).  Even when
"pasting/special/Enhanced Metafile" sometimes the image will be okay,
sometimes it will be skewed or the axis truncated.
The problem occurs even when I unhook the external monitor.  I do recall the
problem was much less severe on my old laptop with a standard screen and
lower resolution.  I've tried every combination of screen
settings/fonts/other I can tolerate, but nothing will allow consistent
results.  Recently, I altered my screen resolution while having a PowerPoint
chart active, and it altered the chart settings so dramatically that I could
never recover a working chart.

Sometimes my PowerPoint presentations can look perfect, I can email the
final presentation to a client, and the axis labels will be trucated for him,
both on his screen and in print.  Pretty frustrating.

I've tried updating video drivers with no change.  Thanks for your thoughts,
though.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> I had a cut at the article a year ago, and was underwhelmed, because the
> problem has been occurring since long before the existence of any "wide
> screen display that has a greater width to height ratio than 4:3".
>
> Since then I've tried to help categorize conditions that lead to the
> problem, but since none of my machines are susceptible to the problem,
> it's hard to track down.
>
> Others have reported that updating their video or monitor drivers have
> helped (but some say it didn't help).
>
> The only saving grace is that these charts (seem to) display properly in
> print preview and on the printed page.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______

0
MVincent (2)
8/4/2005 6:45:21 PM
M Vincent  -

> ...  I have very erratic success when I copy a figure from Excel and paste
> into Word or PowerPoint ... <

Have you tried some of the Shift Edit | Copy Picture options?

If you can get the embedded chart looking the way you want in Excel, select
the chart (click just inside its outer border), hold down Shift and from the
Edit menu choose Copy Picture. Try various options. Then paste into Word or
PowerPoint.

-  Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

Display Option Group label name versus value
I created a form with an option group. I later created a report based off of a querie that draws from a table that the form is tied to. My report draws the actual value (1,2,3 or 4) from the table, and not the label name (text) that I want i.e. 1= Freshman 2=Sophomore 3=Junior 4=Senior I want the text to show up in the report - NOT the values. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you! On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:39:02 -0800, pht1991 wrote: > I created a form with an option group. I later created a report based off of > a querie that draws from a table that the fo...

Dates displaying 1900 in chart when charting 1994 vs 2002
I have some very simple data that I need to compare in an XY scatter plot. There are about 10 data points (2 digits with one decimal) from 1994 and the same from 2002. When I select them and go to chart it, the dates display as 1900. I'm on Excel 2002 (10.5815.4219) sp-2. I did not find anything with a search of the knowledge base. This is for a presentation that happens end of this week to our village council. Arline - At first I thought it was #1, but as I think further, I've decided it's probably #2: 1. This might be the difference between the Mac calendar (which...

How to Do Automatically Calculate a R/Y/G Heat Map?
I want to have a red/yellow/green color-filled cell in my worksheet that automatically shows the current status of reaching a set numeric goal. If performance to date: - is equal or greater than 100% of goal, then cell is green with a black, bold G - is equal or greater than 90%, but less than 100% of goal, then cell is yellow with a black, bold Y - is is less than 90% of goal, then cell is red with a white, bold R Need the text in the cell in case the worksheet is printed on a non-color printer. Can anyone give me advice on whether Excel can automatically do this? If so, how? Thanks. O...

Y Axis
I have a set of charts that I use that I copy and paste external data into the sheet to look at the graph it creates. The problem I have is the y scale makes the line too flat. While I know I can override the scale the problem is I am pasting 40 different sets of data in one after another so to reset the scale each time is too time consuming. Can I keep the scale set on auto but not have it go down to zero all the time? One easy trick is to have another column next to the Y values, and insert a formula which essentially subtracts the minimum Y value from each cell in this column. Ma...

I want a cell should 2 accept only >=0 or <=30 or Y or N
I want a cell should to accept >=0 or <=30 or Y or N Regards Brijesh =OR(AND(A1>=0,A1<=30),A1="Y",A1="N") In "Custom" for Data Validation. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Brijesh Poojary" <Brijesh Poojary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F46DC05-D143-407F-BB81-D5D9109914D6@microsoft.com... > > I want a cell should to accept >=0 or <=30 or Y or N > > Regards > Brijesh ...

Least number of digits in Y-axis labels
I'm looking for an automatic way to format the value axis with the least number of digits possible after the decimal. I want the format to switch from #,##0 to #,##0.0 to #,##0.00, etc. as needed. That is, I never want the Y axis to display the same number twice, because that means we need to add more digits to the right of the decimal. And I never want the Y axis to display "0" in every right-most character after the decimal, because that means we need to reduce the number of digits displayed. Other than using macros, can anyone suggest a way to display the least number...

Does anyone have a 12-dimension spider chart template in Visio?
I'm looking for a 12-dimension version of the Visio spider chart template - or guidance that a non-expert could apply to change one of the provided tabs into a 12-d version. What is a Visio 12d spider chart? Do you mean 12 axis in one spider chart, looking like a clock, every axis representing a parameter? Excel's name for Spider chart is Radar Chart, and standard available. Pls post again with more details so we can help you more concretely. GL, Henk "Robert" wrote: > I'm looking for a 12-dimension version of the Visio spider chart template - > or guidanc...

My charts disappear when I save to PDF
I'm trying to save an excel file as PDF. My print area covers some charts, however when I save the PDF the charts disappear. This seems only to be a problem with converting to PDF - if I print the file the charts appear as normal. How can I make the charts appear in the PDF? Use a 'PDF Printer' such as PrimoPdf or NitroPDF - they are available in free versions and appear as a printer but pop up a dialogue box for you to provide the PDF file name Reg "PabloBlanco" wrote: > I'm trying to save an excel file as PDF. My print area covers some charts...

Dynamic OWC Chart 11
I'm making my own custom report a form using OWC spreadsheet. I was able to do this no problem. However, I would like to add some graphics on the side using OWC Chart 11, which I have no knowledge of. The datasource for the chart should be a range of values of in the spreadsheet. I need the series in the chart to be dynamic and change depending on the spreadsheet, which changes based on the criteria for the report. I would like to either change the datasource using ranges in the spreadsheet or change it using values I have stored in the code (an array). Anyone know how to do this?...

Time Series Chart Data Plot Line ''Disappears'' When Y Axis Formating Is Changed
SITUATION: I've never used Exel for chart-creation. This question probably makes that all too obvious. Using Exel 2002's chart wizard, I was able to generate a time-series chart which displayed my data. However, on the resulting chart, the Y Axis displayed the years generically (1-30). I wanted this axis to display the years specific to the dates involved (e.g. 1920-1947). I right-clicked on the Y Axis and choose <Format Axis>, followed by the Scale Tab. There I set "Minimum:" to the starting data of my time series, "Maximum:" to the ending date. All ot...

Can I use xy scatter charts to plot absolute measurements?
Can I use the xy plotting function on Excel scatter charts to plot absolute measurements in millemetres or inches along the respective axes rather than relative, scaleable units? What I want then to achieve is a print out that shows (subject to mechanical errors in the printing system, of course) the plotted points as absolute values in terms of their radial distances from the centre. ...

Selecting and moving chart(s) within a worksheet using keyboard ke
Hi all, I have created some charts in a worksheet. I would like to be able to do the following if possible: 1. I have selected a chart (by clicking on the chart and handles appeared around the perimeter of the chart). What I would like to do is to be able to select the chart using keyboard short-cut and to move the chart around the worksheet also using keyboard keys rather than the mouse. At the moment I can only move it (a single chart) using the mouse. However strangely enough, if I select two or more charts (Shift+ Lt.Click) I am able to then use the arrow keys to move the chart. ...

How do I force the y-intercept value
Is it possible to force the Y-intercept value to 100 when performing linear regression? ...

Anand clique tributes Legendary Chicago Y
Anand clique. - Live at the Thirsty Whale - IN STORES THIS HALLOWEEN The Award winning Tribal Rock group Anand clique releases Live recordings from the Legendary Thirsty Whale in Chicago - a "put to rest" venue that housed great acts such as the Blue Oyster Cult, Kansas, Skid Row, Guns N' Roses, and many more. The famous Chicago scene is missed, but not forgotten thanks to Anand clique. Anand clique. - Live at the Thirsty Whale - AVAILABLE AT ALL RETAIL LOCATIONS THIS HALLOWEEN also see thirsty whale: metallica, great white, aerosmith, bon jovi, u2, mtv, video, rock music...

Any Livelink web service client sample in java/axis?
Hi Guys, Opentext.com has implemented web services for their Livelink software, and many of its customers such as Philips and so on, are using them, for integration. Philips has published them, on the internet in the following link: http://incenter.medical.philips.com/LiveServices/DocMan.asmx My question is: Is there anyone who has any java/axis "web service client" sample which makes a call to one of their livelink web services and can share with me? That would be so helpful to me! Regards, Ed ...

Make dynamic charts more dynamic
Hello all, I have a dynamic chart where I show the last 13 values in a spreadsheet column. I also implemented a slider bar so that I can go back and have a look at the previous values if I want. However, if I now daily update the column of data through an automated process and the chart shifts along dynamically, how do I also update the format controls of the slider bar using VBA automatically, that is, how do I adjust the maximum value of the format control as soon as a new value is added to the spreadsheet? Hope someone can help, thanks you. Milos. Hi, Depending on which type of s...

chart with dynamic x axis
Is it possible to setup a chart of a time series so that the period charted can be defined by user inputs? For example, I have a chart o sales for the entire year. There is an input for 'month to review'. Even though I have sales for 12 months, if the user inputs 3 into thi field, I'd like the chart only to plot months 1-3. Any help i appreciated -- nam ----------------------------------------------------------------------- name's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3411 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid...

How do I change the axis in excel to the american style
I have a laptop computer that was bought in Portugal. However, I want to change the style of the Axis to the 'American' stytle versus the 'European' style. For example, in America, if you determine the result for the fraction 1/10 you would write 0.10 as the result. However, in Portugal, you would write 0,10. I can't seem to find the option to switch between the two system. Under 'Format Axis' I can't switch between the two and I can't seem to create the American way of showing the axis. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance. Set t...

I need to print my chart BIG...
How do I print a chart larger than 8.5x11 or 11x17? Is there a "tile" option in excel that I'm not seeing somewhere? You know, where it prints on four separate pages and you have to tape them together? Thanks. On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, aurorapixiemom <aurorapixiemom@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How do I print a chart larger than 8.5x11 or 11x17? > >Is there a "tile" option in excel that I'm not seeing somewhere? You know, >where it prints on four separate pages and you have to tape them together? There'...

Heartbroken: custom chart markers don't display properly in PowerPoint
I have been following Jon Peltier's wonderful tip on creating custom markers for Excel, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomMarkers.html and I was all ready to import the finished product to Powerpoint, when I discovered that PowerPoint 97 (and Word 97) cannot handle the change from basic to custom markers. The series that have been customized are misaligned in the other applications! Does anyone know how I can recover from this awful disappointment? Now, there is a "solution", which is to paste as a bitmap. The thing is, I was really hoping to get the improved ...

Excel 2007 and dynamic charting
I would like to create a simple bar chart representing only actual monthly financial data. The idea is to dynamically select a range based on the availability of consolidated number starting from January and expanding progressively month after month. I used to rely on the OFFSET function in Excel 2003, but it generates an error when i try to manually type the formula in the Select Data wizard which powers the charting engine. Any suggestion on how I might solve this? Thanks, Stefano Perhaps you could show us what you typed. An alternative to using a dynamic range is to make the dat...

Can a Formula in Cell X modify Cell Y?
Example: A Formula in Cell A1 should do the following: If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 should be 6. A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? Please note that there is NO Formular in Cell B1, which is the cell to be modified... Thanks No, only through VBA -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "alMandragor" <alMandragor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94154F2A-DBD2-4A47-AF47-F21935C77B91@microsoft.com... > Example: > > A Formula in Cell A1 should do the following: > > If c...

2007 pivot table display data in row label
I have data in a row label that I want displayed as currency ALL the time....BUT...when I refresh, the data changes back to the default. Any suggestions? Thanks Format the cells as Currency and save. Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. "Tim" wrote: > I have data in a row label that I want displayed as currency ALL the > time....BUT...when I refresh, the data changes back to the default. Any > suggestions? > Thanks Also, right click on the PT>Table Options>uncheck Autoformat table -- Regards Roger Govier "...

Reversing category and value axis
When I plot the following table, I always get my depths (the category) on the bottom and my values on the left side. I'd like to reverse this so the values are on the side and the category on the bottom. Is this possible with Excel charting ? Depth 6/12 6/23 6/28 7/13 0 5 18.8 21.4 25.1 24.8 10 18.7 21.1 25.1 24.8 15 18.5 20.4 25.1 24.7 20 18.4 19.8 23.6 24.7 25 18.1 19.6 23.0 24.7 30 17.9 19.0 22.0 24.7 35 17.9 18.7 21.3 24.6 40 17.8 18.3 20.8 24.6 45 17.6 18.0 20.0 24.5 50 17.5 17.9 19.4 24.4 55 17.2 17.7 18.5 24.3 60 16.6 17.4 18.1 23.8 65 14.2 17.1 17.1 17.5 70 12.4 16.8 16.6...

Secondary value in a LINE Chart
I've been trying to create a dual value line chart without success. I'd specifically want to have data for both the primary and secondary value Y axises as LINES not DOTS. Is someone able to help me out with this or am I facing a bug? I'm using 2000 btw. Thanks! Create a line chart from your data Select a series that you want on the secondary axis Choose Format>Selected Data Series On the Axis tab, select Secondary Click OK Lauri wrote: > I've been trying to create a dual value line chart without > success. I'd specifically want to have data for both the ...