Triangulation using excel

Good Morning,

I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation(s) from two known points.

Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confustion about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target.  If I observe a bomb/explosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the left tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now have a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. where I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target to the new spot.  using this example it would be due north of the target i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this point.  any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.  Don

On Dec 13, 4:36=A0am, Donald Ross <donald.ross....@shaw.af.mil> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate=
 and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation=
(s) from two known points.

> Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confusti=
on about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, =
and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target. =A0If I observe a bomb/e=
xplosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the l=
eft tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now ha=
ve a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. whe=
re I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target =
to the new spot. =A0using this example it would be due north of the target =
i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this poin=
t. =A0any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.=
 =A0Don

One way is to find the coordinates of the target and the bomb
separately then find the distance and bearing of the bomb from the
target.

Assume that the base of your triangle is your x axis, the left hand
tower is on 0 and the right hand tower is on D.

The target makes a triangle with base angles A in the left and B on
the right.  The top angle is C =3D 180 - A - B.  The left side is L.

The sine rule says L/sinB =3D D/sinC.  You know B, D and C so this gives
L.  This is what you call the leg length.  The coordinates of the
target are x1 =3D LcosA and y1 =3D LsinA.  In your simplified case, A and
B are 60 but the above works for any angles.

Repeat the calculations only using the appropriate angles for the
bomb.  This gives you another set of x2 and y2 as the coordinates of
the target.  We now have the ends of the target/bomb line and can draw
a right angles triangle.

The distance from target to bomb =3D SQRT((y2-y1)^2+(x2-x1)^2).
Pythagoras
The angle from the x direction is ATAN((y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) or from
straight ahead, ATAN((x2-x1)/(y2-y1))

Snags:
1 Excel works in radians, not degrees so you will need to convert
things at the beginning and the end.  C =3D 180 - A - B becomes C =3D PI()
- A - B.
2 ATAN only give angles from -pi/2 to pi/2 or from -90 to 90.
Sometimes you will
need to add 180

Cheers

xt

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

excel spreadsheet
How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" isn't highlighted, so it doesn't work. Is the sheet protected or shared? -- Regards, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Ang" <Ang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418A7E09-1E8E-41E1-9988-82460B633629@microsoft.com... How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" is...

Creating a template using Publisher

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

Is anybody using Symantec Enterprise Vault?
Hi, A vendor has recommended this solution to us, I have looked at the datasheet for the product and it speaks the right language but I was wondering if anybody on here uses it in a live environment and what their opinion of it is. Cheers Sean ...

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Operating a small passenger service
I am hoping someone has managed to customise outlook in a way that allows you to use the programe to manage bookings on a small passenger service. I.e input a new booking, number of people, location etc. Then email the days bookings to the different drivers. Maybe it could also be set up to know how many seats are avialale to reduce the risk of double booking? Im using Outlook 2003. ...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Backup Excel file

Excel devides every number by 100
Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and adding loads of work to my project. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?a2luZ3M=?=" <kings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48A39EFC-2D09-420F-B2DF-6EF5C0DB6109@microsoft.com: > Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) > and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell > format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and > adding loads of work to my project. > ...

using dates Part 2

Excel Histogram -- Incorrect Bins
I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am finding that = Excel is shifting all my data one bin to the right. =20 For example, with data... 2,2,2,7,7,7 and bin range selected as 0,5,10 I am EXPECTING 3 items in bin 0 (between zero and five) and 3 items in = bin=20 5 (between five and ten). Excel is RETURNING a histogram with nothing in the zero bin, and 3 items = each in the 5 bin and the 10 bin. This is driving my bonkers! I can't find a solution...can somebody = please=20 help? Eric Anderson - > I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am...

trouble using signature picker
The signature picker is ghosted out does anyone know how to correct this ? Signature picker was working earlier. Thanks ...