Triangulation using excel

Good Morning,

I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation(s) from two known points.

Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confustion about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target.  If I observe a bomb/explosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the left tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now have a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. where I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target to the new spot.  using this example it would be due north of the target i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this point.  any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.  Don

On Dec 13, 4:36=A0am, Donald Ross <donald.ross....@shaw.af.mil> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate=
 and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation=
(s) from two known points.

> Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confusti=
on about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, =
and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target. =A0If I observe a bomb/e=
xplosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the l=
eft tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now ha=
ve a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. whe=
re I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target =
to the new spot. =A0using this example it would be due north of the target =
i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this poin=
t. =A0any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.=
 =A0Don

One way is to find the coordinates of the target and the bomb
separately then find the distance and bearing of the bomb from the
target.

Assume that the base of your triangle is your x axis, the left hand
tower is on 0 and the right hand tower is on D.

The target makes a triangle with base angles A in the left and B on
the right.  The top angle is C =3D 180 - A - B.  The left side is L.

The sine rule says L/sinB =3D D/sinC.  You know B, D and C so this gives
L.  This is what you call the leg length.  The coordinates of the
target are x1 =3D LcosA and y1 =3D LsinA.  In your simplified case, A and
B are 60 but the above works for any angles.

Repeat the calculations only using the appropriate angles for the
bomb.  This gives you another set of x2 and y2 as the coordinates of
the target.  We now have the ends of the target/bomb line and can draw
a right angles triangle.

The distance from target to bomb =3D SQRT((y2-y1)^2+(x2-x1)^2).
Pythagoras
The angle from the x direction is ATAN((y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) or from
straight ahead, ATAN((x2-x1)/(y2-y1))

Snags:
1 Excel works in radians, not degrees so you will need to convert
things at the beginning and the end.  C =3D 180 - A - B becomes C =3D PI()
- A - B.
2 ATAN only give angles from -pi/2 to pi/2 or from -90 to 90.
Sometimes you will
need to add 180

Cheers

xt

Using Publisher for long reports
Hi. I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important. I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of pictures and layout drives me wild. Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice? Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me? -- Giles It sounds like Publisher would be perfect for you since you indication that the layout is important. I can't help with a sample tho because (1) the longest I've done is about 24 pages and (2) my newsletters contain personal contact information and...

how do I create qif files from Excel for import into Quicken?
Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. Can I create a QIF file from Excel? You'll need a converter utility for this. Here's a google search that might help: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-31,GGLD:en&q=convert+excel+to+quicken tj "pb" wrote: > Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. > Can I create a QIF file from Excel? Hi *pb*, See if http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php suits your purpose. Don't forget to back up the folde...

How can I use my calendar and other features wo using Outlook emai
I have Windows7 OS. I upgraded to MSO 2007. I cannot access the calendar, etc. without setting up an email profile which my ISP will not allow using the email address. How can I use my calendar and other features without using Outlook email? I could use the calendar on previous versions without setting up an email account. Why can't you use Outlook w/o a mail profile? What happens when you try? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft....

Difficult Excel Question
I am doing a VLOOKUP, but when you select the sheet you wish to look at, I would like the name to chance depending on a name supplied by a cell. If anyone can solve this, please e-mail me rthakrar49@hotmail.com =VLOOKUP(A1,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:H100"),3,FALSE) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "rthakrar49@hotmail.com" <rthakrar49@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BDA5D08-0AD1-43D2-A572-58900081D412@microsoft.com... > I am doing a VLOOKUP, but when you select the sheet ...

Can I delete OE and just use Microsoft Outlook 2002
I would like to delete Outlook Express is this advisable? I am going to be using Microsoft Outlook 2002 which I recieved w/Toshiba PDA and already have it set up on the same PC as OE. Can I use Microsoft Outlook for multiple e- mail accounts? Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257824 With Outlook, you can integrate and manage e-mail from multiple e-mail accounts, personal and group calendars, contacts, and tasks. "Delia Marlowe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780901c4025...

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

Referencing .NET 2.0 but end result uses .NET 3.5
I'm using DevStudio 2005 and I have a project that references System.dll ver 2.0.50727 and I accidentally compiled code that used an overload that only exists in version 3.5 because my intellisense showed it. I tried to compile it on another machine that never had the .NET 3.5 install and it wouldn't compile and the intellisense had that version of the overload yet both references looked identical; looking at ver 2.0 of System.dll The method in question was WaitHandle.WaitOne. ..NET 2.0 WaitOne() WaitOne(Int32, Boolean) WaitOne(TimeSpan, Boolean) ..NET 3.5 WaitOne...

Using a drop down box to select all results
I have a summary page which pulls data together from several sheets an displays summary statistics etc. I want to be able to use a drop down list to select particular product and only show data relating to those products - so far so good. But ..... having put in my drop down and referenced it in my formulae now cannot show the summary data for ALL products. Is there a wildcard that can be used in drop downs to select all -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could add (All) to your list of products, and check for that selection in the formula. For example: =IF(A2=...

using interop to create document word 2007
I am using c# and word interop to open a mailmerge document fill it in and then display it to the user. Once i display it the c# app has nothing more to do with the word document. The user can edit it as needed and then save it as a pdf and that is fine. The issue is I would like to set the default path for the document and it could be a network drive or sharepoint and will change every time also it will never be where the original document was opened. ...

Excel Tool Bars
Lately, when I open Excel, the top Excel name bar and the bottom tool bar are not on the screen. It appears that the worksheet is too large to be contained on the screen. Hi Bailey, Can't tell from your description, so just trying to grasp at straws.. -- are the toolbars floating, if so drag to correct position so the become docked Applies to toolbars but not the name box and address bar. -- do you have problems in other applications, i.e. Display settings, screen resolutions -- is the zoom control at 100% -- What happens in Full Screen mode and in restore (buttons upper right...

using excel from dotnet
situation: I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop Also need to write extracted data to excel. problem: At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12. (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.) I need to work at both locations. can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not) can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but not the latest) interface? i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not cop...

Remove a document from a workspace in Excel 2007
I have a user who created a workspace and included a file that he now wants to remove from the workspace. Is there a way to remove one file from a workspace? Thank you. ...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

creating a program that uses data from a sensor....
Hello, I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an electronic circuit). What are the hardware components that would be needed? And what MFC class(es) would I use to accomplish this? Thanks, RABMissouri2006 On 21 Oct 2006 08:10:50 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it >from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an >electronic circuit). What are the ha...

how to use outlook w/o exchange server?
Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA I have. The exchange server appears to be a fee based service - I don't know. I just want to use Outlook to schedule my appts, keep contacts and use email. SMScott <SMScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg > 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share > address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA ...

Excel 2000/2003 conflict
Whenever I try to open excel files created using 2000, 2003 gives me errors on simple formulas. For example, a SUM formula is marked as an error and displays a wrong number, when I go up to the formula bar and hit enter without changing the conents it recalculates to the right answer. There is many more errors such as "inconsistent formula" or "lost visual basic project" which doesn't allow a 2000 file open without repair. Is there anything I can download to fix all of this together or will I have to fix them all by hand? Does this have to do anything with the differen...

how do i ignore a number when using MODE function?
Hi I have a list of numbers that I want to find the MODE in: 0 0 1 2 0 0 3 3 2 2 2 0 0 But I want to be able to ignore the Zeros How do i go about doing this so the mode function gives me the #2 only Thank you -- Dev4me ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dev4me's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29709 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498091 =MODE(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20)) which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the...

Unable to run excel macro after changing file name
After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error number 5 - Invalid procedure call or argument when users with excel 2000 run the macro. Users with excel 2003 are not having this issue Post the line of code that is causing the error. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "merf" <merf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F68DF323-214D-4F01-8D8E-654F9500242E@microsoft.com... > After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error > number 5 - > Invalid procedure cal...

Using VBA to find a value and select a range
I am trying to write a macro that will let me find a specific vale in a specific column, then select part of the row that the value is in, beginnign with a column 31 cells away from the column that the specific value is in. Someone suggested to me that I use an IF statement, but this is all I know about that: IF [value in column B] is “Grand Total” Then select from column AF to the end of the array in that row and copy it and paste a transpose of the values starting in cell I9 of worksheet X. What is the best way for me to accomplish this goal? Does this macro do what you...

Using TEXT and &TEXT
I'm familiar with the TEXT function, but sometimes a number will display incorrectly when I format numbers to display with a comma if 4 digits or more. For example, TEXT(F1,"0,0") will display 10 thru 999 correctly and displays 1000 correctly as 1,000, but displays 1 thru 9 as 01, 02, etc. Also wondering how to format part of a TEXT formula to underline, and bold or color selected words. Maybe you want: =text(f1,"#,###") or =text(f1,"#,##0") If this doesn't help, maybe you could post the values and what you want to see for a few exa...

compare information from two spreadsheets or excel sheets
Don't know if any one can help, I am trying to find an easy way to compare data from one spread sheet to another on Excel 2000. Every week I create a spreadsheet and need to find out if any further items added on it. example old spreadsheet would be called Andrews 19.04.2010 with 3 sheets 4 columns on each. The new one would be Andrews 26.04.2010 same set up again but possibley new items on the Andrews 26.04.2010 Add a fifth corresponding column on the NEW sheet and insert the following formula in the first cell: =SUMPRODUCT((OldSheet!A:A=A1)*(OldSheet!B:B=B1)*(OldShee...

Seam-Excel error when exporting file
When I export an excel file from a website the file exports with the file name of 'seam-excel' and I can't format the cells or create a pivot table without saving and re-naming the file. How can I get my file to not export with that file name? Is it a security setting? Have never heard of this problem being generated through Excel alone. I would suggest the source would be at the website from which you are exporting. Can you post a URL? I'd like to have a look just out of curiosity. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:41:01 -0800, fallou...

Installing components for Microsoft Excel XP
I Need Help. I recently demoted my PDC to a standard server and joined another domain. Now when I attempt to access Excel I receive the following: =========================================== "Installing components for Microsoft Excel" Installing: "Microsoft Excel Feature" =========================================== It runs and then goes away but it does this every time I open Excel. How do I get rid of this message. I really don't want to re-install Excel. Things I have done. 1. Copied the old user's profile to the new one. 2. Move the Application Data...

Create/Update Excel Objects in Power Point
I developed an add-in in Power Point 97, 2000, XP and 2003 for creating Excel charts/tables and being able to update them. The code I used is below: Dim PPT_CHRT As OLEFormat Dim PPT_SLD As Slide 'ADD a chart/table PPT_SLD.Shapes.AddOLEObject Left:=var_chrt_L, Top:=var_chrt_T, Width:=var_chrt_W, Height:=var_chrt_H, ClassName:="Excel.Chart.8", Link:=msoFalse Set PPT_CHRT = PPT_SLD.Shapes(var_SHP_count_no).OLEFormat PPT_SLD.Shapes(var_SHP_count_no).Select 'EDIT chart/table Set PPT_SLD = ActivePresentation.Slides(var_SHP_SLD_no) Set PPT_CHRT...

Inserting a hyperlink when using Smart Art
Is it possible to insert a hyperlink when using smart art?? ...