Triangulation using excel

Good Morning,

I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation(s) from two known points.

Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confustion about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target.  If I observe a bomb/explosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the left tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now have a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. where I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target to the new spot.  using this example it would be due north of the target i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this point.  any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.  Don

On Dec 13, 4:36=A0am, Donald Ross <donald.ross....@shaw.af.mil> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate=
 and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation=
(s) from two known points.

> Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confusti=
on about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, =
and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target. =A0If I observe a bomb/e=
xplosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the l=
eft tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now ha=
ve a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. whe=
re I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target =
to the new spot. =A0using this example it would be due north of the target =
i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this poin=
t. =A0any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.=
 =A0Don

One way is to find the coordinates of the target and the bomb
separately then find the distance and bearing of the bomb from the
target.

Assume that the base of your triangle is your x axis, the left hand
tower is on 0 and the right hand tower is on D.

The target makes a triangle with base angles A in the left and B on
the right.  The top angle is C =3D 180 - A - B.  The left side is L.

The sine rule says L/sinB =3D D/sinC.  You know B, D and C so this gives
L.  This is what you call the leg length.  The coordinates of the
target are x1 =3D LcosA and y1 =3D LsinA.  In your simplified case, A and
B are 60 but the above works for any angles.

Repeat the calculations only using the appropriate angles for the
bomb.  This gives you another set of x2 and y2 as the coordinates of
the target.  We now have the ends of the target/bomb line and can draw
a right angles triangle.

The distance from target to bomb =3D SQRT((y2-y1)^2+(x2-x1)^2).
Pythagoras
The angle from the x direction is ATAN((y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) or from
straight ahead, ATAN((x2-x1)/(y2-y1))

Snags:
1 Excel works in radians, not degrees so you will need to convert
things at the beginning and the end.  C =3D 180 - A - B becomes C =3D PI()
- A - B.
2 ATAN only give angles from -pi/2 to pi/2 or from -90 to 90.
Sometimes you will
need to add 180

Cheers

xt

Awesome list of Excel/Word/Powerpoint shortcuts!
Hi, everybody! I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut list for the office applications. It seems to have practically every shortcut imaginable and it fits on one page too! I printed it out and put on the wall next to my monitor -- just great!. Thought you would appreciate it... Here's the link to the PDF file. Hit print and you're ready to go. http://www.prihodko.com/msoffice/Office_2003_Shortcuts.pdf Lindy Hi Lindy, For Excel, I like Chip Pearson's Excel Keyboard Shortcuts page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm There is also a d...

How do I set up inches per Minute/Second in Excel
I need to know how to take a known inch per Minute and divide by a known measurement and displayed as minutes and seconds. The answer of the equation (minutes and seconds) is where I'm having trouble. Actually, you need to divide your measured length by the known rate (inches per minute). This gives you the number of minutes, but to display using m:ss format you need to divide by 1440, the number of minutes per day (since Excel counts time as the fraction of a day). So put your measurement in A2, your rate in B2, and this formula into C2: =A2/B2/1440 Then format C2 using a custom...

Excel Functions #2
hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to do this, because im fairly novice with excel: Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn green if the cell value is between 110 and 105 i want it to turn yellow if the cell value is below 105 i want it to turn red any help would be seriously appreciated. thanks spotseven wrote: > hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to > do this, because im fairly novice with excel: > > Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn gr...

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Using insert to paste a row--how done in Excel 2007
Hi, In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a row instead of what I have copied. I want it the old way! How do I do it? -- Thanks, PTweety R-click, Insert Copied Cells. pickytweety wrote: > Hi, > In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a > new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it > automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a r...

use of xsd.exe
VS2005. I'm running a stored procedure and am stuffing the output into a dataset. I want the dataset to be strongly-typed, but can't seem to get quite what I want out. Performing a "Fill" on a generic dataset, I can get the schema of the data being returned. A snippet appears below: <xs:element name="Table2"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="PRODUCT_GROUP" msprop:OraDbType="126" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" /> <xs:element ...

Disallow Recall/Void Trans. without using Security Level??
Hello, Is it possible to disable Recall/Void Transaction function without using Security Level? I see "Allowed to delete entries from transactions". Could I use this instead? Thanks ------------------------------------- ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/ Tax and Accounting Software Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - microsoft.public.pos - 43105 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------## Sorry, but the only way to do this is through secur...

Can I make a database in Word with Excel Data
I know this may be a "DUH" question, but... I am making a list of area dentists that I have copied and pasted of of the Dex website into Excel. I am wondering if I can take this inf and make a database in Word for printing address labels. Does anyon know if this can be done, and HOW?:confused -- Myn77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myn777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2958 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49283 For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the...

Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?
Hello, I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited files describing genomes and open them in Excel. Unfortunately, Excel decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates, and reformats them as such. This is a huge headache, as I often don't notice these problems until much later. Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting? I've searched high and low and have yet to find a solution. Thanks! P.S. I'm using Excel 2002 -- salamander ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sa...

Saving Excel workbook in SQL server using c#
Could anyone please help me out as to how we can save the excel workbook in the database and read it back. I was able to convert the text files and image files into binary format and save them to the DB and finally able to retrive them back in the same format. But was unable to do same for the excel object. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, regards, jitender ...

Excel's localization of scientific notation
Does Excel use "E+" and "E-" for scientific notation for all locales? Or are there some locales for which it uses different characters? Thanks, Greg I'm pretty sure that the E is universal. If it were not, it would have been in the list of international symbols. Look here for more info about international issues: http://www.rondebruin.nl/international.htm#strings -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Greg Lovern" <gregl@gregl.net> wrote in message news:82e5afbe-a4ba-4f5f-ac41-ac7b41519d67@h40g2000prf.googl...

2003 excel
I would like to change the cell color if there is a "r" found in it. All the cells are in the same colum and there are also numbers in the cells with the "r". Can anyone help ? Assume data in col A Select the col, then apply conditional formatting using Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("r",A1)) Format to taste > OK out Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be case sensitive -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,400 Files:356 Subscribers:53 xdemechanik --- "Dave" wrote: > I would like to change the cell color if ...

Access ODBC problem: Excel cannot get float columns
I need some help I'm trying to get Access external data from an Excel workbook, using the MS Query feature. Everything is ok except when I try to fetch some tables that ODBC refuses to get data from. The error message tells that the MS Access ODBC driver doesn't allow some columns to be transmited because of its number of characters. The most strange thing is that I can see the data from MS Query correctly, but I caannot get it back from Excel. After some tries, I thing it occurs only with real typed columns. Can anybody help me? I use Windows XP Home + Office 2000 spanish versio...

HELP: Excel userform version control issue
Hi All, I have an excel userform that is posted on my companys intranet. The issue I am having is, users are saving this form to their hard drive and then using it(Instead of launching it everytime from intranet), SO basically when I have a new version of form on intranet they still use the old version as they have a habbit of saving it on their hard drive. Is there a way to resove this? something like they would see a popup message saying that "This is an older version that you are using, Please launch the form from Intranet for newer version". Thanks in advan...

Error in code exportin tables to excel
I'm tryin to export a table to excel with the code: Private Sub Command4_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command0_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "F01_UT" DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, F01_UT, "C:\TRY\Tbls", True Exit_Command0_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command0_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command0_Click End Sub However, Access displays the message: Compile error : Syntax error What I'm doing wrong? If I want to export more tablas do I have to write more lines (DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpr...

Looking for someone who can integrate CRM with GP using SCRIBE Integration tool
Hi, Is anyone out there in Sydney area who would like to help us in doing integration between CRM 4 and GP 10 through SCRIBE integration tool for a fee? We are looking for someone who has already done integration between these two applications using SCRIBE. You will have to do bit of customisations in the SCRIBE standard templates. If anyone available, you can contact me through my email badri1203@gmail.com Badri ...

emailing spreadsheet within excel
I have a user that has sent her spreadsheet as an attachment using the Send To Function. We use Outlook. Now, it seems as if the Send To option has lost its settings and is now trying to set up an Internet account instead of using the Microsoft Exchange Settings. Anyone know how to reset the Send To settings in Excel? Thanks! ...

How do I import data from a SECURED website into Excel?
I can import data from a regular web page directly into Excel spreadsheet, but when I tried importing them from a secured site I encountered problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? ...

Transfer Macro in Excel
I am trying to transfer informtion in one sheet to another sheet in the same workbook. I have a macro to process this information from the first sheet to the second. I keep getting an error in this Process macro at the line. Application.Goto REFERENCE:=Range("END") The first sheet is called ProblemSheet and the second sheet is called Processed. The line above is taken from the process macro on the ProblemSheet page. Do I have to name a certain cell as "END" on either sheet? Any help with this would be really appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com...

Excel #2
College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? Choose File>Properties On the Summary tab, check 'Save preview picture. Click OK Tech Coor wrote: > College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Broken x-axis in excel
Hi. I want to create a chart, where my x axis contains values within a range above zero, and to a given value. So far so good. My problem involves that i want the axis itself to show that there is a break from zero to my given value (marked with a Z-like sign), wich excel does not automaticly do. Is this possible to acheive? I have seen charts vith this prefix, but there is no such function, or description of how to do it in the "help register". Thank you. -- ketil This page shows one approach, and links to a couple others: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis....

is my excel corrupt? VLOOKUP
I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP so I tried a small simple table and I'm getting some strange results can someone have a look here http://www.naldernet.plus.com/holding/vlookup.xls and explain why if you type "horn" at B14 does it return the result of B5 ? thanks in advance probably something really stupid I missed in the VLOOKUP formula -- Vass "Vass" <mark.nalder_TRAPTHESPAM_@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:EuqdnTraeqlpM3XfRVnyuw@eclipse.net.uk... > I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP > so I t...

How can I do an hourly salary calculation in Excel
How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and have it display the correct amount in local currency If you are using excel time formats, assume a time value is in A2 and you want to multiply with an hourly rate =A2*24*rate format as currency -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "AndyM" <AndyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EE0E905-3139-4B70-8119-03A0B2FD4575@microsoft.com... > How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and > have > it display the correct amount in local cur...

Using A CTabView
Hi, I need to implement a tab control which contains a number of custom controls on each tab page. For example my custom control has a number of LED type static controls and a list control. Its quite small, 200x200. I need a number of them in a tab page. They need to aligned underneath each other with a static label above each giving a description of each one. I also need to be able to scroll down if I have too many to fit into one page. Has anyone done something similar or can suggest where to look?? Cheers ...