Trendline - split one into two

All,

I can't find a way to break a three year/12 qtr trendline apart in Excel
Charts.  I'd like to have one trendline for the first two years (8 qtrs) and
one for the last year (4 qtrs).  Is this possible?

Thanks,
Richard
0
Richard853 (481)

Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
differing data after that.

"Richard" wrote:

> All,
>
> I can't find a way to break a three year/12 qtr trendline apart in Excel
> Charts.  I'd like to have one trendline for the first two years (8 qtrs) and
> one for the last year (4 qtrs).  Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
0
Roland (29)
10/23/2005 12:01:03 AM
You need to split the series into two, since a trendline applies to the
entire series on which it's based..

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Richard wrote:

> All,
>
> I can't find a way to break a three year/12 qtr trendline apart in Excel
> Charts.  I'd like to have one trendline for the first two years (8 qtrs) and
> one for the last year (4 qtrs).  Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
How do I split the series in two and still have the chart look continuous?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You need to split the series into two, since a trendline applies to the
> entire series on which it's based..
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Richard wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I can't find a way to break a three year/12 qtr trendline apart in Excel
> > Charts.  I'd like to have one trendline for the first two years (8 qtrs) and
> > one for the last year (4 qtrs).  Is this possible?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Richard

0
Richard853 (481)
10/24/2005 2:56:01 PM
If I try this is there a way to not display the two sets of data on the
chart?  I don't want to have two idential columns for of the first eight
quarters.

"Roland" wrote:

> Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
> differing data after that.
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I can't find a way to break a three year/12 qtr trendline apart in Excel
> > Charts.  I'd like to have one trendline for the first two years (8 qtrs) and
> > one for the last year (4 qtrs).  Is this possible?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Richard
0
Richard853 (481)
10/24/2005 2:56:05 PM
You can hide plotted data by formatting the series with no border, no fill, no
lines, no markers. You can hide extra legend entries by selecting the legend, then
the text label of the legend entry (two single clicks), then pressing Delete.

 >>Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
 >>differing data after that.

This is not clear. What you need to do is plot this data:

      Before  After
Q1     10
Q2     15
Q3     20
Q4     27
Q5     31
Q6     36
Q7     40
Q8     47
Q9            58
Q10           70
Q11           81
Q12           90

- Jon
-------

Richard wrote:

> If I try this is there a way to not display the two sets of data on the
> chart?  I don't want to have two idential columns for of the first eight
> quarters.
>
> "Roland" wrote:
>

>>Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
>>differing data after that.
>>
>>"Richard" wrote:
>>

>>>All,
>>>
>>>I can't find a way to break a three year/12 qtr trendline apart in Excel
>>>Charts.  I'd like to have one trendline for the first two years (8 qtrs) and
>>>one for the last year (4 qtrs).  Is this possible?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Richard

Jon,
Ah, thanks, now I'm getting somewhere.  One more question - right now I have
two lines intersecting between qtrs 8 and 9.  Is there any way to make the
line become one with a kink at the intersection (i.e. exclude the "look back"
trendline based on the final four qtrs and exclude the extrapolated trend
based on the first eight qtrs)?

Thanks,
Richard

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You can hide plotted data by formatting the series with no border, no fill, no
> lines, no markers. You can hide extra legend entries by selecting the legend, then
> the text label of the legend entry (two single clicks), then pressing Delete.
>
>  >>Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
>  >>differing data after that.
>
> This is not clear. What you need to do is plot this data:
>
>       Before  After
> Q1     10
> Q2     15
> Q3     20
> Q4     27
> Q5     31
> Q6     36
> Q7     40
> Q8     47
> Q9            58
> Q10           70
> Q11           81
> Q12           90
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> Richard wrote:
>
> > If I try this is there a way to not display the two sets of data on the
> > chart?  I don't want to have two idential columns for of the first eight
> > quarters.
> >
> > "Roland" wrote:
> >

> >>Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
> >>differing data after that.

0
Richard853 (481)
10/24/2005 10:49:03 PM
You might be better at this point making a custom trendline. Get the
slope and intercept using LINEST or SLOPE and INTERCEPT, determine the
point of intersection, and determine the XY pairs for the lowest end of
the line, the point of intersection, and the highest point on the line.
Put this combined series onto the chart as an XY series, so you can
position the X value of the intersection wherever you want. The
categories are treated as whole numbers, with the first one at X=1.

- Jon
-------

Richard wrote:
> Jon,
> Ah, thanks, now I'm getting somewhere.  One more question - right now I have
> two lines intersecting between qtrs 8 and 9.  Is there any way to make the
> line become one with a kink at the intersection (i.e. exclude the "look back"
> trendline based on the final four qtrs and exclude the extrapolated trend
> based on the first eight qtrs)?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>You can hide plotted data by formatting the series with no border, no fill, no
>>lines, no markers. You can hide extra legend entries by selecting the legend, then
>>the text label of the legend entry (two single clicks), then pressing Delete.

>>This is not clear. What you need to do is plot this data:
>>
>>      Before  After
>>Q1     10
>>Q2     15
>>Q3     20
>>Q4     27
>>Q5     31
>>Q6     36
>>Q7     40
>>Q8     47
>>Q9            58
>>Q10           70
>>Q11           81
>>Q12           90
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>
>>Richard wrote:
>>

>>>If I try this is there a way to not display the two sets of data on the
>>>chart?  I don't want to have two idential columns for of the first eight
>>>quarters.

Have one fill to auto fill aother
My question is simple. I would like to have field 27 = field 25. So when someone enters the data for field 25, the same data auto populated in field 27. Any help is appreciated! Kaylen, In the CotrolSource for Field 27 type... =[field 25] ....assuming of that you are talking about a form in Microsoft Access or did you mean to post this question in the Excel newsgroup? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Kaylen" <Kaylen@discussions....

Vlookup all in one
I have a database with dates in the first column and formulas in the rest of the columns to the left. How can i create a formula that will give me the date in the first column if there is data to the right of the date. Appreciate the help in advance. Al Hi Al, I'm a bit confused with your post but will take a stab at it. I will assume you have dates in the "first" column and I will call that column A. Now, there can be no columns to the left of column A so I will further assume you meant columns to the right as you indicated in the second paragraph. So, with dates ...

How do I print 2 publications on one landscape page?
Hi! This may sound really dumb but Im trying to print the same publication twice on one landscape page but everything I try seems to show on a small section of the publication like its the actual item thats too big? please can someone heeeeelp! What version Publisher? In 2003 or 02, page setup, check landscape, type 5.5 width, 8.5 height. Publisher will say it will print two copies per sheet. In 2007 it is more convoluted. In page setup, click Advanced on the right. On the Layout type, select Multiple pages per sheet. Type, 5.5 width, 8.5 height. In the Target sheet size select custom...

Displaying Information from one Form to Another VBA Code
Hi, I am creating a series of pop-up forms that leads from one form to another based on a table of information related to a single item. Each single item (each Bridge Name has it's own primary key, i.e., City No.) has distinctive fields related to specific information such as Geometric Data and Traffic Data. I've already created the two forms for these two specific information items related to the Bridge Name and City_No. In the first form, Geometric Data Form, i've wrote some basic VBA code that finds the record set from the table related to the control as a Afterupdate...

Two owners to an activity
Can we assign 2 owners to an activity entry so that the assistant can go back in and edit the entry? I am afraid that you can't assign two users to an activity easily. But you can consider to put those two users in a team and share the activity to the team. Darren Liu Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On Sep 25, 10:46 am, JBedeau <jbed...@hillsdaleinv.vom> wrote: > Can we assign 2 owners to an activity entry so that the assistant can go back > in and edit the entry? ...

How do I change one cell across multiple sheets?
I have a spreadsheet with 5 seperate sheets - each sheet is just the same information sorted differently (i.e.~name, number, date). Is there a way to link cells, so that if I were to change on cell on one sheet, the information changes on every sheet? At the moment, I have to go into each and every sheet to make the most miniscule of updates. Thanks in advance everyone! You have a workbook with 5 separate sheets? Pick out one sheet and make that the data entry sheet for that info. Put formulas in the other cells that point back to that sheet (and lock those cells so that you/the user ca...

combine different half-page sheets onto one
i've been trying to avoid wasting a crapload of paper. basically, i have 25 different half sheet postcards...and for now all i need is one of each. i don't know how to print page 1 and 2 onto one page and make it print correctly. any ideas? I'm assuming they are all in the same file, i.e., 25 pages. You could experiment with the booklet settings utilizing the printer tablet option. Another way, a bit ugly; Print the first 12 - 13, rotate the paper 180� and before printing the remaining 12 - 13 rotate the cards and then run the paper through the printer again. Don Vancouv...

how to link two charts in excel
Please elaborate what you want to do in the body of the message. "anjolaoluwa" <anjolaoluwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBF7A6EB-843B-4795-ACE3-62349BA40629@microsoft.com... > ...

Problem with toolbar area--Tough one!
Okay, this is weird! I'm working with an application that's being opened behind the scenes by a web application (A DSOFramer). The framer opens a standalone version of Excel the operates within the same session. The Problem: When it opens this Excel instance, The entire toolbar and formular bar and menu bar areas become hidden, so all I have is the grid. The code that would normall show a given tool bar steps through perfectly but has no effect. Anyone who can shed some light would be much appreciated! Jeff_Lefkowitz@cfins.com@nospam.com A complete guess... (I have no i...

Area will repeat 4 down by two across?
This is my first time using publisher it is doing exactly what I want with one problem. I have created a catolog merge using excel to create a directory. The catolog merge area is just the way I want it and it tells me it will repeat 4 down and 2 across but it does not repeat. I have used the Layout guides to get it this way and resized so it fits but it doesn't repeat. If I create new publication it repeats but doesn't space out correctly. Help a novice please. Thanks, this is Pub 2003 -- Jim Jim wrote: > This is my first time using publisher it is doing exactly what ...

How do I combine two Access Reports to print on one page
Hi, I work for a steel company. Material is purchased to a size and grade. There are common sizes, meaning that I can buy from several sources and several customer can use. A user can enter a size and grade and get a report showing all open purchase orders with a summary. The same can be for open sales orders with a summary. Some orders are for a single shipment while others can be fore several due throughout the year. Sales and Purchasing would like a report that shows both together so they can do forecasting for purchasing. Is there a way to do this in Access? Do I need to use Wo...

How to mix a stacked column and a clustered one on same graph?
I want to display on the same graph 2 subtotal informations letùs say sub1 and sub2 for 10 years to show decrease of one and increase of the other in parallel. The best is then to used clustered column. But sub1 is build for 2 products5(A and B) and sub2 is coming from 3 infos D,E and F. I would like then to see the split between A and B on the first column representing sub1 and the same for sub2. It will then be on stacked columns. Is it possible? Thanks Jon Peltier has information and links for clustered stacked columns on his web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...

two arrays correction
Hi, Sorry the frist one fell apart when it sent. I am trying again. In col A througn F there are numbers about 150 rows down. In G1 through L1 there are numbers and these will change from time to time. G2 through L2 and down I want a formula that will find the numbers that are in A through F and put YES in the corresponding cell under G to L. So any cell in A:F that has one of the numbers in G:L the formula will put yes in the corresponding cell under G:L if the numbers is in G1:L1. A B C D E F G H I J 2 8 11 50 4...

Transpose to break up one long row to many?
Hi All I have a problem i hope you can help with. The sheet i have has rows of many columns, what i need to do is leave the first 5 columns of data and underneath that row insert the next 5 columns of data, then the same again with 4 columns, 5 columns, 4 columns. One the has done move to the next original row and repeat till the end. Any suggestiosn on a macro to help? Thanks Try this to move in blocks of 5 Option Explicit Sub breakrowtorows() Dim i As Long Dim j As Long Dim r As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False For i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row To 1 Ste...

Can I reinstall Office on new computer if old one is dead?
I purchased Office 2008 for Small Business for a laptop that recently died - I can't get it to boot at all - so uninstalling the software is out of the quesiton. Is it possible to reinstall this same software from the original CDs on my new laptop? I've tried inserting and starting the the CD, but I get an error stating the a file is corrupt and that I need to use the original source or download, but this is the original source. Thanks! "Bridgette" <Bridgette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:998C2208-532D-4257-B5F2-C36CDF32EC00@microso...

>>Two AWESOME sites<<
These are the two sites everyone has been asking about....they are AWESOME and unlike most, they do PAY.....let me know what you think.... Becky http://www.treasuretrooper.com/208932 http://www.readerspaid.com/default.aspx?tabid=37&WL_Referrer=beckybrigg ...

i have two windows xp running on my pc and seem to con flict with
i seem to have two xp programs running on my pc . ive no idea how its happened but my pc is running hay wire as it tells me i can t do can t do that as another pc is using it. i would appreciate any help or advice you could give me. as to solving this problem.many thanks from one idiot pc user . You are probably not an 'idiot pc user', but rather you may be trying to open a file on a network drive that another user already has open. (hence the message that the file is "in use") Is this a possibility? You should have an option to open it as "read only", to be...

Compare two text files and output third
I have the following code: Do Until objInput.AtEndOfStream strLine = objInput.ReadLine ' Skip blank lines. If (Trim(strLine) <> "") Then ' Parse the fields in the file. arrValues = CSVParse(strLine) 'Copyright (c) 2007 Richard L. Mueller Hilltop Lab web site - http://www.rlmueller.net ' Set variables for each field read from file. strCount = strCount +1 strFirst = arrValues(0) strSecond = arrValues(1) strThird = arrValues(2) strFourth = arrValues(3) Set objCFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("File2.txt", ForReading) ' Next ...

one to one relation in visio 2007
how can I create many to one or one to many relation in Visio 2007?? The problem that all the relations that we have there are like inheritance... There is no line relation... there is just line with an arrow at the head.. Thank you Look at the properties for the line. Assuming that you selected the Entities correctly, I think that you'll find that there is a one to zero-or- more relationship. The arrow points to the master Entity. HTH "Wael" <Wael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4B7D89D-61DB-4A2B-AF56-2539A816E19B@microsoft.com... ...

Based on one cell criteria to change the rest of that row to a col
Hi, I am trying to find a formula that will change a whole row to color based on the critera entered in the In the row F2:F22 column. In other words, say if I entered MODEL in cell F15, all cells from G15 to X15 over, will turn a color I specify. If there is to be only 3 colors involved you can easily do that with Conditional Formatting. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm <==== read this if more than 3 colors look for the link to Extended Conditional Formatting (addin) Another choice is possibly a Change Event macro http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.h...

calculating the time between one date and another
Hi there. I have a worksheet with four cells in it: Start Date Start Time End Date End Time. I need to calculate in hours the diffrence between the two. I am using Excel 2000 and unfortunately the cells have to remain seperate. Can anyone please help? Samwar With the entries in A1:A4 (Later date/time in A3 and A4) then in A5 enter =(A3+A4)-(A1+A2) and format the result as (Format>Cells...>Number>Custom) [hh]:mm the square brackets stop hours over 24 from incrementing to days -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHIS...

Currupted application due to one form...
Hello – Access 2003, vista I have an application which one of its main form (frmFacilities) is loaded with code lines (600-700 line, is it a lot ?). This application keeps getting corrupted all the time lately and the symptom is that this form "frmFacilities" is the form that is not useable after the file gets corrupted. 1st – am I correct thinking that this form is to loaded with code lines ? 2nd – if I correct, then what way do I have in order to reduce the amount of corrupted events… Thank !!  -- Alu_GK I have never heard of too many code lines causing corr...

This one worked.
Or, choose Edit>Go To, click Special Select Objects, click OK Press the Delete key, to delete any objects that were selected. It was a "word art" object that was somehow stuck and squished in the spreadsheet. How it gets into my old excel files - I do not know. I never even had a text box like this in this spreadsheet. Once the object is light up (thanks to the above procedure) I can stretch it out and delete it. How does this get imbedded like this? Thanks, webermis Since it was squished, maybe it was accidentally copied from another file, and you didn't notice it ...

Can I control the tab key from one text box to another?
I recently saw a posting re: controling the tab key when jumping from one specific cell to another using "named range"... can I do something similar with text boxes? Once a text box is selected, then the tab key will take you to the next text box. Bob Umlas Excek MVP "Debbie" <debbie_cox@wvi.org> wrote in message news:535435ca.0407121113.7277ae90@posting.google.com... > I recently saw a posting re: controling the tab key when jumping from > one specific cell to another using "named range"... can I do something > similar with text boxes? Hi Bob...