To separate two line in a line chart

Hi all,

I drew the confidence intervals (the vertical black lines) of each
points in this line chart (please see below). However, the intervals
would overlap at some places. In MS-Excel, is there any tip to shift
one of the two lines a bit horizontally? So that I can prevent the
overlapped intervals, especially as in black-and-white chart later.

Thank you!!

Seeing the figure, please click this url:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgtvrqj3_10fr9frz

HsinJen Chen

0
trust1021 (2)

Hi,

You would need to create a new set of x values for one of the series by
adding or subtracting a constant.

The chart type would need to be xyscatter in order to allow for
different sets of x values.

But would moving the point not have an impact on how the value was read
by the viewer of the chart?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Your suggestion is useful.
I have obtained the chart I want.
Please see this (http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgtvrqj3_10fr9frz)
for detailed solutions.
Thanks a lot!!

Best wishes,

Hsin-Jen

Andy Pope wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You would need to create a new set of x values for one of the series by
> adding or subtracting a constant.
>
> The chart type would need to be xyscatter in order to allow for
> different sets of x values.
>
> But would moving the point not have an impact on how the value was read
> by the viewer of the chart?
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> TRUST wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I drew the confidence intervals (the vertical black lines) of each
> > points in this line chart (please see below). However, the intervals
> > would overlap at some places. In MS-Excel, is there any tip to shift
> > one of the two lines a bit horizontally? So that I can prevent the
> > overlapped intervals, especially as in black-and-white chart later.
> >
> > Thank you!!
> >
> > Seeing the figure, please click this url:
> > http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgtvrqj3_10fr9frz
> >
> > HsinJen Chen
> >

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
trust1021 (2)

Invoicing select lines (or "releases") from a Sales Order
In Great Plains 7.5... I'm trying to choose the best way to handle a very common business transaction we encounter with sales orders having multiple releases. For example, a customer orders 300 Widgets as 3 lines of 100 widgets each. Each line has a different delivery due date, such as 100 pcs Feb 1, 100 pcs Mar 1, and 100 pcs Apr 1. The problem happens when we go to "transfer to invoice" for the individual releases. We want a clear for the invoice to be only for a particular release, and for it to be clear in the original order as to what lines still remain to be s...

Gantt Chart and Critical Path
I have a spreadsheet where I enter time line data in the cells and from that information generate a Gantt chart. What I would like is a way to have symbols on my chart to show milestones, and end points. Anybody have any ideas as to how I could add those symbols on a chart? Thanks. Royce - That's a page I haven't added to my web site yet. Your gantt chart is a stacked (or floating) bar chart. To add symbols, you need to add additional series, using time as your X values, and a normalized Y value corresponding to the bar that needs the marker. Use 1 for your topmost bar, and N...

soften jagged edges of pie charts
I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document Instructions said go to format, click selected data series and click patterns tab then select smoothed line. But the box Smoothed line doesn't exist. Have you tried copying as picture (Shift-Edit-copy as picture)? "zen" wrote: > I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel > but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document > > Instructions said go to format, click selected...

How do I add a secondary axis to a pivot table chart?
Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a way to add the 2nd axis? Hi, This is chart type dependent. Suppose you have a line chart, right click the series and choose Format Series, the Axis radio button should be available. What type of chart are you using? Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dangelor" <dangelor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2610028F-5FAF-4400-A3E3-B7D0CCEFB443@microsoft.com... > Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a > way to add the 2nd axis? ...

Excel should default to autoformat for chart text boxes
Excel in (Office 2003 and as far as I can tell all previous versions of Excel) should default to autoformat for chart text boxes - it currently selects "none" for outline and background options ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Outlook Client: Change the On Line Server address
Hi, Is it possible to change the address of the CRM server that the Outlook Client uses to syncronise? -- Thanks in advance Chris Hi Chris, You can make this change by editing the following registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient\ServerUrl. The usual warning - please be careful while making registry edits! HTH, Niths "BoltonWolf" wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to change the address of the CRM server that the Outlook > Client uses to syncronise? > -- > Thanks in advance > Chris Thanks for that, I think that works ok. I'...

stack overflow at line: .....
I use excel to display urls online and recently when the application opens, I get the message, ' stack overflow at line: ..... I get this message whenever I click on a different worksheet - there are 15 sheets in the whole display. Can anyone help me get rid of this annoying error message that keeps popping up. You'll need to post the macro code. "brunetto" <henrylacroix@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1132439912.196559.165500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I use excel to display urls online and recently when the application > opens, I get the message, ...

Delete embedded chart, how?
I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? -- Boswell Select the chart, hit the delete button. -- David Biddulph "Boswell" <boswell6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:C439A52B-E430-4B40-95DB-1563E22939AF@microsoft.com... >I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? > -- > Boswell ...

Pie Chart color
Hi, Excel 2003. I have a 3 series pie-chart, I simply want to change the color of ONE of the 3 slices in the way I want. Thanks for help. Click the slice; pause; click the slice again, it should now have 'handles' around it. Use Format | Data POINT in menu (if it say Data SERIES, try again) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Freightliner" <freightliner2006@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:87a8c3a5-2d6e-43d2-a0ec-7aa1b25c1296@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Excel 2003. I...

500 Command line too long
I get the above error from sending emails to only one recipient. Our Configuration. . . MDaemon 7.1.0 -> Cisco 831 router Their configuration is. . . Windows ISA server -> Norton Corporate (v8.5) Email Gateway -> Exchange 5.5 Below are the log entries for the failed connection. We are not having problems sending email to any other recipients. From the I can't tell which one of their three servers is actually the one that is rejecting the email. Does anyone have any experience with one of these servers wrongly issuing the "500 Command line too long" errors? Fri ...

How to remove the last separator from toolbar
Hi, I need to add/remove some buttons from the toolbar depends on user settings. But after I remove the buttons, there is a separator at the end of the toolbar. Is there any way I can remove the separator? Thanks, Lucy This might seem like a stupid question, but how are you removing a button from CToolbar? AliR. <lucyh3h@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1169232478.123890.276230@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I need to add/remove some buttons from the toolbar depends on user > settings. But after I remove the buttons, there is a separator at the > end of ...

Which trend line?
I need to interpolate some data points. But I am not sure which kind of trend line should I draw? There appears to be many different kind.. I do not need a super fanciful one. My main purpose is really to find the trend (literally) so which one should i use? Polynomial? and also how do i know how many order? (what is a order anyway?) I am sorry to ask such stupid questions, but i am a new beginner to advanced charts. I usually only need to plot simple charts. and microsoft help is not as advanced for idiots like me =p joyous_h wrote: > I need to interpolate some data points. But I a...

move axes and axis labels behind data points on scatter chart
I'm working with a series of XY scatter charts that all pull data from the same worksheet. They are all copied from the "original" scatter chart and then just have the cell references changed so that the formatting stays consistent across the series. (The charts will be shown sequentially and I don't want anything changing other than the location of the data points.) However, on some of the charts, the axis and/ or the axis label appers on top/ in front of some of the data points and behind/ under other data points (which is what I want - the axes and labels behind th...

Formatting Chart Category Labels
I'm creating a fairly complex chart - a spider graph "dashboard" report that addresses 4 major areas of an organization's performance - finance, quality, efficiency and customer satisfaction. Each category has 4-7 data elements, so that there are a total of 22 data elements on the chart. There will be 2 sections of the report, a chart showing YTD, LYTD and Goal values for the data elements and the graph itself. I envision this as a relatively easy way for management or board to get a snapshot of comparative key performance indicators. So far so good - input form, c...

Charting Problem #2
I have a problem with charting a Dynamic chart. I goes ok to set up the dynamic function as a range. It also shows the correct series. The range is as follows: =OFFSET(Sheet3!$A$1;1;Sheet3!$P$2-1;COUNTA(INDIRECT("C"&Sheet3!$P$2;FALSE));1) Where P2 is an input from a listbox, and the name of the range is: Sheet3!Dato. When I try to change the reference for the series i get the following message: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, and try again." The serie...

Which 'event' to run pivot chart formatting code on file open?
Greetings I have code to change my pivot chart type to a mix of line and column also to refomat colours I need to run the code so that the user sees the changes when the file is opened Ive tried the 'workbook open' event and the chart activate event but noy joy so far. (Once the file is open, manualy triggering the code works perfectly) Any ideas? Thanks I don't know why workbook_open doesn't work. You could use Application.OnTime to run your code a short time (like 2 sec) after the workbook opens. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://Peltier...

Removing lines and/or borders
how do I remove a line or border that only appears on normal view not print preview? If this is not part of your print preview, it is simply the gridlines outline the cells in your working window. If you want to turn these off as well, select Options from the Tools menu, select the View tab, then uncheck the Gridlines checkbox. -- Thanks, Deb "mystical_ways" wrote: > how do I remove a line or border that only appears on normal view not print > preview? ...

Adding a horizontal line to a Pivot Chart
I can't get a horizontal line added to a pivot chart (column or line) by using the series method. Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to add the horizontal line to show things like the mean and standard deviation. Thanks in advance. Sharon - Pivot charts don't allow you to include data that's not in the pivot table, and I think it only allows a very limited number of combination charts, if any. Sorry to disappoint. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ sharonc wrote: > I can't get ...

Autoscale a Line Chart to stack the curves
hello! To compare financial market assets moves I use a single chart with 2 series. The chart has 2 vertical axes and the scales are pretty different in term of values. The autoscale works fine on both axes. My queston is: How do I translate a curve onto the other so that they get "stacked", to be easily compared at a glance ? Any VBA function or sub is welcome... Thx This post might help. It shows how to calculate a proportional axis on a dual-axis chart. The effect is to plot the movement of one series against another to see how well they are correlated. Because each...

Printing a two spreadsheets front and back
I have clicked select all sheets and selected two sided copy in print options. It gives me a message that 1 page has been printed, when I hit print, but when I go to the printer, there are two sheets of paper. Each spreadsheet on its own piece of paper. i have done this before, but when I do I print several copies, and months go by before I have to print the two sheets front and back again. Help. hi technically all excel does is send the data. seems to me the problem may be in your printer, not excel. make sure that you are printing to a duplex printer. regards FSt1 ...

Chart Legend Items: hide/show
How do I hide/show a series on a chart legend (scatter plot.) I tried a null string (""), but the trace still shows. I also tried #N/A. But it then shows "#N/A"; the same with function: NA(). What I am trying to do is to have a control button to show or hide a series from the chart. I can set all the series values to #N/A which hides it, but I am having trouble trying to hide the legend for the series. I also tried an "if" function in the chart->series dialog, but It evidently will only accept a cell pointer. "Jon Peltier" <jonREMOVExlmvp@p...

Using a Portable Drive to Play Music Through WMP on Two Computers
I have two widely separated computers, each running XP and WMP11. From Computer1, I have backed up my music (WAV) files onto a Western Digital (WD) "My Passport Essential" portable drive. I have changed the WMP "Rip" folder on both computers to the (deeply embedded) WD folder to which the WAV files were copied. My intent is to eliminate all WAVs from both computers (freeing space), transport the WD between computers and play music from the WD. Playing the music from the WD through WMP on C1 works great. However, when using the WD with C2, much information...

Excel 2007 Bar and Line chart on 2 Axes
I used Excel 2003 to create a "bar and line chart on 2 axes" and now have 2007. I can't find where or how to create these charts using Excel 2007. Can someone tell me how to do it? Start here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102004991033.aspx Then Google "Excel 2007 chart"; look at a few sites Then come back here with specific questions and we will help you get it right. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

How do you do set up a hierarchy chart in PP 7
I'm trying to set up a hierarchy chart in PP7 but the template presented doesn't allow me to add boxes below with a direct line. Sometimes I get a slanted line and I can't delete it. ...

deleting lines on text boxes
I do not want to print the lines in a text box in microsoft publisher. How do I do this? If you mean the line *around* a text box:: Click inside the text box Right-click - select Format Text Box Colors and Lines Tab - under Lines|Color, make sure it says No Line Click OK -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Paul Rozewicz" <Paul Rozewicz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C89EDDA3-8F82-4F19-BA70-75FE82061B93@microsoft.com... >I do not want to print the lines in a text box in microsoft publisher. How > do I do this? ...