Time-Line Chart

I'm trying to create a "time-line" chart on both sides of the X axis.

For example, item '1' lasts (3) seconds long and is 'positive' (above X
axis).  Item '2' lasts (2) seconds and is 'negative' (below X axis).  Item
'3' lasts (5) seconds and is 'positive'.  Every time I graph this the lengths
of the items are graphed vertically instead of horizontally.  Any suggestions?

***    *****
_________________

      **

Thanks,

Zack
0
zack1 (34)

Hi, Zack,

Try using a bar chart as the chart type. (Note: If you
don't want your timelines to look as fat as typical bars,
make them thinner by increasing the 'Gap Width' in
Format, Data Series, Options).

There are several ways you could do this, but the reason
I suggest a bar chart is that the x and y axes are
swapped in a bar chart -- so that the horizontal axis is
actually your value axis. Basically, a bar chart will sit
the data you have now on its side, so to speak, so that
it looks like what you want.

More detail on how to set this up below, but just in case
you'd like some explanatory info on the way the axes are
working ... For charts like columns, bars, and lines -
the Y-axis is the value axis and the x-axis is the
category axis (the category axis would be the time-
scale). But, you're setting up your data with your
durations as the values -- so they're plotted on the y
(value) axis (that's why they appear vertical). There are
chart types that will give you a value axis for both the
x and y axes (scatter charts), but that's going to be a
more complex solution that I think you need.

If you use the data just like you have it set up now, but
create a bar chart -- I suspect it will easily give you
exactly what you're looking for. When you create the
chart -- you'll want each item (sounds like you already
have it this way) to be its own data series. If your data
looks something like this:

item 1    3
item 2    -2
item 3    5

Then, you'll want to select the option for 'Series in
Rows' in step 2 of the chart wizard "Chart Source Data".
Typing your duration values as positive or negative
numbers is all you need to do to get them to show up
above or below the horizontal axis with a bar chart.

That should do the trick.

Hope it helps!

Stephanie Krieger
author of Microsoft Office Document Designer
email: MODD _ 2003 at msn
blog: arouet.net

Stephanie,

Thanks so much for the timely assistance - I'm going to try out your advice
later tonight.

Zack

"Stephanie Krieger" wrote:

> Hi, Zack,
>
> Try using a bar chart as the chart type. (Note: If you
> don't want your timelines to look as fat as typical bars,
> make them thinner by increasing the 'Gap Width' in
> Format, Data Series, Options).
>
> There are several ways you could do this, but the reason
> I suggest a bar chart is that the x and y axes are
> swapped in a bar chart -- so that the horizontal axis is
> actually your value axis. Basically, a bar chart will sit
> the data you have now on its side, so to speak, so that
> it looks like what you want.
>

> More detail on how to set this up below, but just in case
> you'd like some explanatory info on the way the axes are
> working ... For charts like columns, bars, and lines -
> the Y-axis is the value axis and the x-axis is the
> category axis (the category axis would be the time-
> scale). But, you're setting up your data with your
> durations as the values -- so they're plotted on the y
> (value) axis (that's why they appear vertical). There are
> chart types that will give you a value axis for both the
> x and y axes (scatter charts), but that's going to be a
> more complex solution that I think you need.
>
> If you use the data just like you have it set up now, but
> create a bar chart -- I suspect it will easily give you
> exactly what you're looking for. When you create the
> chart -- you'll want each item (sounds like you already
> have it this way) to be its own data series. If your data
> looks something like this:
>
> item 1    3
> item 2    -2
> item 3    5
>
> Then, you'll want to select the option for 'Series in
> Rows' in step 2 of the chart wizard "Chart Source Data".
> Typing your duration values as positive or negative
> numbers is all you need to do to get them to show up
> above or below the horizontal axis with a bar chart.
>
> That should do the trick.
>
> Hope it helps!
>
> Stephanie Krieger
> author of Microsoft Office Document Designer
> email: MODD _ 2003 at msn
> blog: arouet.net

0
zack1 (34)
10/16/2004 2:41:03 AM
Stephanie,

I tried this and it still didn't work out.  I think I need a combination
between a scatter chart & a bar chart.

When I format the chart type as 'scatter' it looks very close to what I want
.... there's just no bar thickness.  I've again shown what I'm looking for -
please note that the axis is horizontal (when I select bar chart the axis is
always vertical).

I'll try to be specific one more time.

What is shown below is three tasks of differing length (bar width) and they
also differ (some being positive, some negative).

Task one lasts (3) seconds (thus 3 * wide) and is positive.  Task two STARTS
at time (4) (after task 1) and lasts (2) seconds (thus 2 * wide) and is
negative ... below the horizontal axis.  Task three STARTS after task two
(task 1 (3) plus task 2 abs (2) = 5) and lasts (5) seconds (thus 5 * wide).

***    *****
_________________

      **

Don't know if this makes it any clearer - could you try one more time with
some assistance?

Zack

"Stephanie Krieger" wrote:

> Hi, Zack,
>
> Try using a bar chart as the chart type. (Note: If you
> don't want your timelines to look as fat as typical bars,
> make them thinner by increasing the 'Gap Width' in
> Format, Data Series, Options).
>
> There are several ways you could do this, but the reason
> I suggest a bar chart is that the x and y axes are
> swapped in a bar chart -- so that the horizontal axis is
> actually your value axis. Basically, a bar chart will sit
> the data you have now on its side, so to speak, so that
> it looks like what you want.
>

> More detail on how to set this up below, but just in case
> you'd like some explanatory info on the way the axes are
> working ... For charts like columns, bars, and lines -
> the Y-axis is the value axis and the x-axis is the
> category axis (the category axis would be the time-
> scale). But, you're setting up your data with your
> durations as the values -- so they're plotted on the y
> (value) axis (that's why they appear vertical). There are
> chart types that will give you a value axis for both the
> x and y axes (scatter charts), but that's going to be a
> more complex solution that I think you need.
>
> If you use the data just like you have it set up now, but
> create a bar chart -- I suspect it will easily give you
> exactly what you're looking for. When you create the
> chart -- you'll want each item (sounds like you already
> have it this way) to be its own data series. If your data
> looks something like this:
>
> item 1    3
> item 2    -2
> item 3    5
>
> Then, you'll want to select the option for 'Series in
> Rows' in step 2 of the chart wizard "Chart Source Data".
> Typing your duration values as positive or negative
> numbers is all you need to do to get them to show up
> above or below the horizontal axis with a bar chart.
>
> That should do the trick.
>
> Hope it helps!
>
> Stephanie Krieger
> author of Microsoft Office Document Designer
> email: MODD _ 2003 at msn
> blog: arouet.net

0
zack1 (34)

Single email delivered 10 times
Does anyone know of a reason why an email sent a single time would be delivered to the recipient 10 times? This is only happening to one account. No one else has complained about a similar issue. This user sent a single email to a customer and they received it 10 times. I asked the user to email me at an external address and I received it twice. Does the user have any Outlook Rules setup? Have you tried recreating the users Outlook Profile? -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

including date and time in one function
I am trying to make a worksheet that will return a value during certain time period. For example: On Monday at 8:00-9:00, I would lik it to display a different value than the same time on Tuesday. Also, need it to show a different value later on in the same day. I canno figure out if there is a way to combine DATEVALUE and TIMEVALUE, nor a i sure if a combination of the two is what is exactly what I want, bu it is somewhere along those lines. I would appreciate any help tha anyone can give me -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you can add them. e.g. try =IF(AND(A1>=DAT...

Incorrect time for incoming email
This past Sunday, I went from Daylight savings time to standard time. The problem I have is that email and meeting requests are showing the wrong time. For example if I send a meeting request for 2:00 it is showing up on the recipients calander as 1:00. The time on the DC (2000), Exchange servers (2003) and clients are correct. There must be a setting I'm missing. Any ideas? I have recently learned there is a calendar setting in Outlook in Tools/Options/calendar options/time zone. If the check in Daylight savings is not in there then times will not correspond with Windows tim...

Printer on all the time
A friend of mine called about a trouble with his computer(XPsp3).He claims that everytime he gets on the internet using IE8,his printer comes on and starts printing all the web pages. I googled,but I cannot find any references to this problem.He unplugged the printer from the computer,he still gets the same thing.He claims the trouble started when he got an email message from a Hotel. Thanks Just in case the problem is still active: If the problem started after receiving a message, the message may have carried a virus... so the computer should be scanned for virus or trojan...

Line-- Column charts
Hi, i have a line--column chart with 8 data sources on it, 4 are columns and 4 are lines with markers on, the markers i have removed to make them just a plain line...4 of the data sources are positive numbers, 4 are negative numbers....simple. If i was to add another data source to this chart by pressing add in the Source Data box, then using the values box etc, i end up with a another column on the chart, how can i change this to a line or from a line to a column, i don't know if i have control over what i get on the chart. Thanks for any advice, Shane. Hi, You can select the ...

Question about different versions of Outlook/express as indicated in the X-mailer line
I've been identifying some spam based on what appears on the X-mailer line. I don't use Outlook or OE as an e-mail client. I'm focusing on spammers who construct (forge) e-mail headers to make the e-mails appear legit, which frequently means that they construct spams that appear to have been sent by Outlook or OE. For example, I'm seeing this in some recent spam: X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4922.1500 Of my entire e-mail inventory (about 60k e-mails going back to 1998 - most of it being spam) I have about 2 dozen e-mails (all of them spam) with the above X-Mail...

Scatterplot chart legend
When I create a Scatterplot chart plotting 2 series, the chart legend only shows the series names without the corresponding data point color. As is, the legend is not helpful. How do you add the color of the series to the legend? What version of Excel are you using? I've tried it and can't duplicate your problem. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "changc" wrote: > When I create a Scatterplot chart plotting 2 series, the chart legend only > shows the series names without the corresponding data point color. As is, > the legend is not helpful. How do you add t...

Add System Date to Chart
Hi All, Is there any way of display the system date, either within the title of the chart, or anywhere else? Cheers. Bill. Hi, You could link the chart title to a cell which contains the system data. Once you have added the chart title to link it to a cell enter the full cell address in the formula bar. =Sheet1!$A$1 http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Bill" <bill@bill.com> wrote in message news:%23onkuRxFIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > Is there any way of displa...

Saving Chart Names in Excel 2007
I saved an XLS file as an XLSX file without performing a conversion. After making changes to the workbook, the chart names will not save, they just revery back to the default "Chart1", "Chart2", etc. names. I followed these steps to change the names to no avail: When you create charts, Microsoft Office Excel assigns a default name to each chart by using the following naming convention: Chart1, Chart2, and so on. However, you can change the name of each chart to make it more meaningful to you. Click the chart that you want to rename. This displays the Chart Tools, ad...

Help with excel 2007 chart
Hey, this seems fairly simple but is stumping me. I have a table with static data that shows my budgetary costs per month for the last 2 years. The row labels in my table are the categories (mortgage, insurance, power, gas, phone, etc.) and the column labels are each month for 2007 and 2008. What I want to do is create a chart that will graph the data (line chart) for each category over the last two years. I would like to choose what category to display on the chart so they're not all on the chart at the same time. I have tried a Pivot Chart, but it's just not displaying the data corre...

out line fonts (and text) isn't there a way to outline fonts?
Isn't there a way to put a another color outline around fonts? I've made the fonts red and I'd like to have a thin line of black around them.... using publisher 2003 WordArt. Or a draw program. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Wednesday336" <Wednesday336@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B80DFD4-28B1-4F43-B6F0-08BC694B5C90@microsoft.com... > Isn't there a way to put a another color outline around fonts? > I've made the fonts red and I'd like to have a thi...

run-time error 381 on journals
When I bring up journals either the pos or manager I get a "Run-time error '381' Invalid property array index". When I go to receipt format and go to properties. I get a "runtime error 6 overflow". The other registers work fine, so it not a database problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still no luck. I am on RMS 2.0.0126 version. Thanks Dave May be printer driver issue or windows printer driver setting of default printer For receipt printer are you using windows or opos drivers? Check the windows printer properties in the registers that work okay...

cannot change line spacing
in word 2003 sometimes when I copy and paste small bits of text from elsewhere, choosing text only, it appears double spaced, and no matter what i try, i cannot change it to single spaced. what am I doing wrong? If the Line Spacing is correct, verify that the Spacing Before and After (Format | Paragraph) is set to zero (or whatever you prefer). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Jo Foster" <JoFoster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAE096BF-0426-442B-A28E-FD9678AD81FC@microsoft.com... > in word 2003 > sometimes when I copy and pas...

excel charts #26
HOW CAN I PLOT TWO SETS OF VALUES on the same chart TO SOLVE EQUATIONS "turnip45" wrote: > HOW CAN I PLOT TWO SETS OF VALUES on the same chart TO SOLVE EQUATIONS Test. Please Ignore. DON'T SHOUT! Make an XY chart with one series of X and Y values. Copy the range with the other set of XY values, select the chart, and use Paste Special to add the data as a new series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "turnip45" <turnip45@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Excel 2007 Chart colorindex?
I have a macro that changes colors in a bar chart. The following code worked in Excel XP. Sheets("Chart").SeriesCollection(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 5 This command crashes Excel 2007, and I've noticed that the ColorIndex property does not ever appear to be a property of the SeriesCollection object in Excel 2007. Does anyone know how to control chart colors in Excel 2007? Here is a macro I recorded in XL 2010 beta . It works in XL2007 with the ..ForeColor.Brightness statement commented out (or deleted) best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP...

In "Line-Column on 2 Axis," why does not a series change to colum.
I am trying to plot a 6-column, 1-line chart. However, EXCEL decides that it will be a 4-columns and 3-lines charts. When I change the axis for series 5 and 6 to "primary," both series still carry line attributes. The chart description says that all series on the primary axis will be pltted as column. I have not been able to show series 5 and 6 as columns. How do I change them to columns? Try this: Create a column chart for all the data. Select the series of data for the line chart and change the chart type for that series only to LINE. If necessary, plot the line series ...

How to vary color in an area chart between negative or positive d.
How can I vary the color in an area chart between positive and negative data points. Using zero as the defining level, anything greater than zero have one color and anything less than zero having a different color. Thank you for your help. Gulf Stream, Set up two series – one for positive values and one for negative values. Add a one-row space between any data point that crosses zero. For example, assume your original data is in a single column starting in cell A2. The data looks like this: a 2 b 4 c -4 d -3 e 6 f -3 g 5 h 7 Rearrange it to look like this (the title "Posit...

Excel charts #16
How do I get a stacked chart to stop totaling two numbers, and allow one number to represent a percentage / portion of the other number? ...

Current Time
I have a datasheet subform that has a time field (short time) that has a default value of time(). WHen I open the form, the new record row in the datasheet shows the current time. If I do not enter anything in this form for a few minutes, the new record will have the current time as when the form was open. I have an evidence database that I would like the current time to enter when an entry is made, but if I am busy tagging information and don't make the entry for 3 minutes, the time is off. Any suggestions on getting the current time when the entry is made - now when the form is opened?...

Excel pie chart grays out
This just started happeneing all of a sudden to a monthly worksheet with pie charts that are updated regularly. The data creates two pie charts, which sit side-by-side on a spreadsheet tab. This month they suddenly both just appear as distinct grayed-out boxes - although when I put the cursor right on one or the other graphic, I do get the usual pie chart that I am expecting. It goes back to gray when I move the cursor elsewhere on the spreadsheet. Any ideas on what might have changed or what we can do to correct this would be appreciated! J. M. Koskey Choose Options on the Tools menu, a...

can you create a break in the chart scale
Is possible to change the scale of the chart to reflect a large range of data ie creat a break in the scale? I have a data set that consists of variables ranging from 25 to 0.1, there are roughly three variables that are in between 20 - 25 and the remainder are (25) are in the range of 0.1 to 1. As such, when I graph this data in a regular bar chart I can only see the three variables that are between 20 - 25 as the scale does not allow me to the lower valued variables. In regards to this problem I would like to break the scale so it would ready, 0.2, 0.2,0.3 ....1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. If y...

How do I put multiple lines on a scatter chart?
I'm trying to plot up to 7 lines on a scatter chart, but am having trouble getting it to work. I'm a bit of a beginner with excel, and have worked out basic scatter charts, but I now need one that presents multiple lines for each 'item'. I'm not explaining this every well.. but does anyone know what I mean? The chart I have to work from and duplicate is in JPEG form so I can't just adjust the figures and re-plot.. it sort of looks like a rainbow with all the different lines curving, one higher than the other... Put your X data in column A, starting in A2 and ru...

Shading between two lines
Hello, I have a line graph over time that jumps up and down (data 1). I also have another horizontal line that is the maximum of Data 1 and another horizontal line that is the minimum of Data 1. Does anyone know how to shade the area between the minimum and the maximum lines? I've tried a few things with Area Graphs but nothing seems to work. Thanks for all your help in advance. Hi, This can be done with area charts. One way, add 2 series based on Min and Max values. Change chart type to Area. Change series order so the Min appears in front of Max. Format Min to be same colour as pl...

Colouring area under curve in a scatter chart?
I am using Excel 2003 and have a scatter chart with several series. I would like to fill the area under each series with a different colour. Does anyone know a way to do this? The chart in question can be found here. It is not easily reproducible as an area chart. http://www.edferrero.com/Content/Scatter_Pyramid.xls Ed Ferrero Sorry, reposted in microsoft.public.excel.charting Ed Ferrero ...

times part of cell content
I got a column like this: 11/40 35/10 101/100 250/40 I need to times the number before the / with 2 in each row so I get 22/40 70/10 202/100 500/40 Anyone know how I can do this? Thanks Mike "Mike Mike" <mm@mitechhostREMOVE.com> wrote in message news:1rxVf.96540$Fw6.43301@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... >I got a column like this: > 11/40 > 35/10 > 101/100 > 250/40 > > I need to times the number before the / with 2 in each row so I get > 22/40 > 70/10 > 202/100 > 500/40 > > Anyone know how I can do this? > > Thanks > Mike Mi...